162 Games and Itís All Down to The Last Day

9/28/11 in MLB   |   Murphy24   |   278 respect

In the last day of regular season baseball, four teams, two in the American league and three in the National League, find themselves battling for Wild Card spots.

If nothing else, two ties guarantees a crazy night of baseball, but the matchups themselves are compelling. The Boston Red Sox faces a Baltimore Oriole team hell-bent on keeping Boston from the postseason. The Sox, having lost a wild-card lead to the Tampa Bay Rays that was as high as 9 Games at the beginning of September, will trot out struggling ace Jon Lester (0-3 with a 5.93 ERA in Sept.) on short rest. Meanwhile, Tampa faces a Yankees team with nothing to play for and likely to rest a number of their key starters.

In the National League, St.Louis faces a path to the playoffs that is much easier on paper than the Atlanta Braves (who relinquished a sizable Wild Card lead of their own down the stretch). The Cardinals face a Houston Astros team that was by far the worst in the league this year, while Atlanta matches up against the Phillies, who were the best. But as in the AL, Philly has little to play for, meaning both teams could finish the night with the NL Wild Card still undecided.

In case either race is still deadlocked tomorrow, a one game playoff between the wild card teams will decide who lives on. While this represents the ultimate in regular season excitement, there are four teams fighting and praying that their next game is this weekend.

Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

The example to support my case....

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

Scott wrote:
Even though I disagree with just about everything you post, your opinion on things has never once annoyed me. You are entitled to your opinion on this site and are more then welcome to voice it.  That's part of what makes this country so great.  What annoys me though is your condescending tone to other posters and your inability to not get your point across without taking a subtle shot at people who have differing opinions with you.  

Like Chantelle said earlier, agree to disagree.  Neither one of us is "correct" with our opinion.

I have no issues with disagreement.  But the idea that I am the one who initiates shots, subtle or otherwise couldn't be further from the truth.  Same with the condescending tone.  I see that kind of behavior here all the time from countless posters.   Why single me out? 

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  My only character flaw on message boards is that I tend to respond in the exact same tone given to me.  Someone takes subtle shots at me, I give 'em right back.  Respond with respect, my response will tend to be respectful. Respond in with a smarmy attitude, you usually get one right back.  I get grief all the time from people here (I don't care, it's part of posting opinions on line) and when I give 1/10th of it back, suddenly I'm the one who copped attitude. Sometimes it's funny.  Sometimes it's sad.  But it is always entertaining on some level.

9/29/11   |   Scott   |   51998 respect

ML31 wrote:
You can enjoy the race for 2nd all you like.  It's a preference.  Just please don't get annoyed when someone points out that it is indeed a race for 2nd.  Not first.

The winner of the World Series no longer means they finished first.  At least not since 1994.  All it means is they won the World Series.  that is the fact.  As has been pointed out, teams no longer need to finish in first to win the Series. 

I understand your point when you take it to the NHL.  But you are talking apples and oranges when you speak of different sports.  The NHL only plays half the games MLB does.  They also have a history of their regular season meaning nothing.  MLB is the opposite.  At least, before 1994 that is.

Would you think it crazy if Tiger Woods finishes his 4 rounds of golf 8 strokes ahead of Mickelson but then is told that he and Mickelson need to start even and play a playoff to see who wins the tournament?  Again, apples and oranges.

Even though I disagree with just about everything you post, your opinion on things has never once annoyed me. You are entitled to your opinion on this site and are more then welcome to voice it.  That's part of what makes this country so great.  What annoys me though is your condescending tone to other posters and your inability to not get your point across without taking a subtle shot at people who have differing opinions with you.  

Like Chantelle said earlier, agree to disagree.  Neither one of us is "correct" with our opinion.

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

Scott wrote:
 That part in bold is very important to you, not me, and if in your mind that means I lack sportsmanship or integrity towards baseball, well, then you are entitled to that opinion.  

That said, you completely missed the point in my last comment.  When your team wins the World Series, they finish in first place whether they won their division or not.  

Technicality...sure.  Truth... yep.

IMO, It would be no different then your Sharks being a 4-8 seed and winning the Stanley Cup.  You plan on rooting against them if/when that happens too?

You can enjoy the race for 2nd all you like.  It's a preference.  Just please don't get annoyed when someone points out that it is indeed a race for 2nd.  Not first.

The winner of the World Series no longer means they finished first.  At least not since 1994.  All it means is they won the World Series.  that is the fact.  As has been pointed out, teams no longer need to finish in first to win the Series. 

I understand your point when you take it to the NHL.  But you are talking apples and oranges when you speak of different sports.  The NHL only plays half the games MLB does.  They also have a history of their regular season meaning nothing.  MLB is the opposite.  At least, before 1994 that is.

Would you think it crazy if Tiger Woods finishes his 4 rounds of golf 8 strokes ahead of Mickelson but then is told that he and Mickelson need to start even and play a playoff to see who wins the tournament?  Again, apples and oranges.

9/29/11   |   Scott   |   51998 respect

ML31 wrote:
No...  I have so much pride that I openly root for my team to lose playoff games they didn't deserve to be playing to begin with.  That part in bold is very important.  At least it is to people who practice a little sportsmanship and have some integrity towards baseball.

Should the Giants ever get an undeserved playoff spot again (let's all hope that never happens) and actually (ugh) win the world series using that route, there will be no celebration of the team finishing in first because they never did.  Remember, in today's era of expanded playoffs teams, unfortunately for baseball, are able to win the world series without finishing in first.  Check out the 2003 standings and look at where the Fish ended up.  It sure wasn't first place...

 That part in bold is very important to you, not me, and if in your mind that means I lack sportsmanship or integrity towards baseball, well, then you are entitled to that opinion.  

That said, you completely missed the point in my last comment.  When your team wins the World Series, they finish in first place whether they won their division or not.  

Technicality...sure.  Truth... yep.

IMO, It would be no different then your Sharks being a 4-8 seed and winning the Stanley Cup.  You plan on rooting against them if/when that happens too?

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

YankeeFan wrote:
Haha - yes I already decided we better just "agree to disagree".  I'm usually pretty good at understanding both sides of an argument but this time, not so much.

Not sure why that is.  Are you saying you would be perfectly happy if the Yankees finished in 2nd place?

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

HULL_17 wrote:
i ment they're not in the playoffs....and yeah i can brag. the tigers where the first team to clinch...THANK YOU.

2nd place is 2nd place is 2nd place.

9/29/11   |   YankeeFan   |   98 respect

woody050681 wrote:
You might as well give up because in his eyes you are wrong and he is always right. No sense in wasting anymore time because he will not give up.

Haha - yes I already decided we better just "agree to disagree".  I'm usually pretty good at understanding both sides of an argument but this time, not so much.

9/29/11   |   HULL_17   |   2495 respect

ML31 wrote:
2nd place 8 games back.  But notice please how I am not jumping up and down celebrating it like it was the same as winning the Pennant.

i ment they're not in the playoffs....and yeah i can brag. the tigers where the first team to clinch...THANK YOU.

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

HULL_17 wrote:
yeah...and where are the giants at this  year???

2nd place 8 games back.  But notice please how I am not jumping up and down celebrating it like it was the same as winning the Pennant.

9/29/11   |   HULL_17   |   2495 respect

ML31 wrote:
Says the person who celebrates being in 2nd place 6 games back. 

yeah...and where are the giants at this  year???

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

woody050681 wrote:
You might as well give up because in his eyes you are wrong and he is always right. No sense in wasting anymore time because he will not give up.

You are misunderstanding.  It's not a right or wrong discussion.  If someone thinks 2nd place well out of first is exciting more power to them.

9/29/11   |   woody050681   |   13680 respect

YankeeFan wrote:
Prior to 1969, there were no divisions.  The first-place team from each league would go to the World Series, period.  Perhaps a return to that era would be more to your liking?

You might as well give up because in his eyes you are wrong and he is always right. No sense in wasting anymore time because he will not give up.

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

YankeeFan wrote:
Prior to 1969, there were no divisions.  The first-place team from each league would go to the World Series, period.  Perhaps a return to that era would be more to your liking?

That would be OK, but it is certainly not feasible in today's world.  Two divisions of 7 or 8 teams still works well.  It's enough teams have good odds that one team won't run away with a title and there are enough teams involved to potentially make an interesting race.  Further, and most importantly, it maintains the integrity of the season in that ONLY the first place team gets to advance.

Remember..  It is impossible to have a meaningful pennant race whenever a 2nd place team is allowed to advance.  Not unlikely.  IMPOSSIBLE.

9/29/11   |   YankeeFan   |   98 respect

ML31 wrote:
No...  I have so much pride that I openly root for my team to lose playoff games they didn't deserve to be playing to begin with.  That part in bold is very important.  At least it is to people who practice a little sportsmanship and have some integrity towards baseball.

Should the Giants ever get an undeserved playoff spot again (let's all hope that never happens) and actually (ugh) win the world series using that route, there will be no celebration of the team finishing in first because they never did.  Remember, in today's era of expanded playoffs teams, unfortunately for baseball, are able to win the world series without finishing in first.  Check out the 2003 standings and look at where the Fish ended up.  It sure wasn't first place...

Prior to 1969, there were no divisions.  The first-place team from each league would go to the World Series, period.  Perhaps a return to that era would be more to your liking?

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

Scott wrote:
You have so much pride you openly root for your team to lose playoff games. I retract my previous statement about you being a bigger fan of your team then the game itself. I do hope for your sake though the Giants never "backdoor" their way into the playoffs and win the World Series. I'd hate for you to be the only Giants fan in the world to not be happy and celebrate your team finishing in first.

No...  I have so much pride that I openly root for my team to lose playoff games they didn't deserve to be playing to begin with.  That part in bold is very important.  At least it is to people who practice a little sportsmanship and have some integrity towards baseball.

Should the Giants ever get an undeserved playoff spot again (let's all hope that never happens) and actually (ugh) win the world series using that route, there will be no celebration of the team finishing in first because they never did.  Remember, in today's era of expanded playoffs teams, unfortunately for baseball, are able to win the world series without finishing in first.  Check out the 2003 standings and look at where the Fish ended up.  It sure wasn't first place...

9/29/11   |   Scott   |   51998 respect

ML31 wrote:
Wrong on many fronts.  First, to say that last night was one of the greatest nights in baseball history is just plain deranged.  That night would have only been fun had all those games had been for first place.  Yeah, there was a cute comeback in the game, but the elephant in the room no one is talking about is that it was all for SECOND place.  That little fact sucks every bit of drama out of baseball.  Period.

Don't sit there and tell me that I would still pull for my team if they back doored into the post season using some unearned welfare playoff spot.  I wouldn't and haven't.  My team played an extra game in 1998 to see who got the loser playoff spot.  I didn't watch that worthless game and hoped they would lose it.  Thank God they did.  In 2002 my team was given that loser playoff spot doing the same thing they did the year before.  Finishing 2nd.  I openly hoped they lost the DS.  Then I openly rooted for them to lose the LCS.  Sadly, they didn't.  Thank GOD they lost that faux world series.  I wasn't happy they lost.  I was relieved.  I always said when the Giants win a World Series I want it to be legitimate.  For no one to question it.  I want it to be EARNED.  I don't want the playoff spot to be a consolation prize.  I have more pride than that.  Please don't go there ever again.

You have so much pride you openly root for your team to lose playoff games. I retract my previous statement about you being a bigger fan of your team then the game itself. I do hope for your sake though the Giants never "backdoor" their way into the playoffs and win the World Series. I'd hate for you to be the only Giants fan in the world to not be happy and celebrate your team finishing in first.

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

STLCardinalsFan wrote:
idiot!!

Says the person who celebrates being in 2nd place 6 games back. 

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

Scott wrote:
I get and respect that you are a baseball purist but you'll never be able to convince me that last night wasn't one of the best nights in baseball history. You also will never be able to convince me that if your Giants were in the position of the Cardinals or Rays, you wouldn't be excited that they were able to make these improbable comebacks to earn playoff spots. I know you may type that you'd rather they not make the playoffs or that they didn't deserve it because they weren't division champions, etc, etc., but I know how much of a fan you are and I know deep down you would still be openly rooting for your team to go deep into the playoffs. Why? Because you are a fan of your team more then you are a fan of the game itself.

Wrong on many fronts.  First, to say that last night was one of the greatest nights in baseball history is just plain deranged.  That night would have only been fun had all those games had been for first place.  Yeah, there was a cute comeback in the game, but the elephant in the room no one is talking about is that it was all for SECOND place.  That little fact sucks every bit of drama out of baseball.  Period.

Don't sit there and tell me that I would still pull for my team if they back doored into the post season using some unearned welfare playoff spot.  I wouldn't and haven't.  My team played an extra game in 1998 to see who got the loser playoff spot.  I didn't watch that worthless game and hoped they would lose it.  Thank God they did.  In 2002 my team was given that loser playoff spot doing the same thing they did the year before.  Finishing 2nd.  I openly hoped they lost the DS.  Then I openly rooted for them to lose the LCS.  Sadly, they didn't.  Thank GOD they lost that faux world series.  I wasn't happy they lost.  I was relieved.  I always said when the Giants win a World Series I want it to be legitimate.  For no one to question it.  I want it to be EARNED.  I don't want the playoff spot to be a consolation prize.  I have more pride than that.  Please don't go there ever again.

9/29/11   |   STLCardinalsFan   |   63 respect

ML31 wrote:
The regular season was over days ago.  2nd place?  Yawn.  There's a reason those teams didn't win their divisions....

idiot!!

9/29/11   |   Scott   |   51998 respect

ML31 wrote:
The regular season was over days ago.  2nd place?  Yawn.  There's a reason those teams didn't win their divisions....

I get and respect that you are a baseball purist but you'll never be able to convince me that last night wasn't one of the best nights in baseball history. You also will never be able to convince me that if your Giants were in the position of the Cardinals or Rays, you wouldn't be excited that they were able to make these improbable comebacks to earn playoff spots. I know you may type that you'd rather they not make the playoffs or that they didn't deserve it because they weren't division champions, etc, etc., but I know how much of a fan you are and I know deep down you would still be openly rooting for your team to go deep into the playoffs. Why? Because you are a fan of your team more then you are a fan of the game itself.

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

wrote:
why does my Calendar say 1978?

I don't know...  In 1978 the Sox had a 10 game lead with 80 games left and finished 2nd.   This year they blew a 3 game lead with 60 games left and finished 3rd.

9/29/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

Scott wrote:
 This might've been the most exciting day of baseball I've ever seen.  Rays down by 7 heading into the 8th inning rally to win moments after the Red Sox blow a 3-2 lead in the 9th inning.  In the NL, the Phillies score a run in the 9th off the Braves bullpen to tie the game and then win it in extra innings, giving the Cardinals the Wild Card.

Incredible finish to the regular season

The regular season was over days ago.  2nd place?  Yawn.  There's a reason those teams didn't win their divisions....

9/29/11   |   Scott   |   51998 respect

 This might've been the most exciting day of baseball I've ever seen.  Rays down by 7 heading into the 8th inning rally to win moments after the Red Sox blow a 3-2 lead in the 9th inning.  In the NL, the Phillies score a run in the 9th off the Braves bullpen to tie the game and then win it in extra innings, giving the Cardinals the Wild Card.

Incredible finish to the regular season

9/29/11   |   derms33   |   17642 respect

Bye FrANCONA, NOW we can test Ellsbury for roids, laugh at Crawfords contract all the while LONGORIA WALKS OFF!!!!!!!

9/28/11   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

Wow...  How exciting...  Teams battling it out for 2nd place.  Whoop-de-effing-doo.