Not many people like to follow NCAA Hockey but I am a very big fan of it especially with all the teams in the Boston Area. Well today the 16 team field was set and I have some very strange thoughts and feelings about the bracket.
1. There is very good bracket integrity, meaning the first #1 seed plays the fourth #2 seed, and the fourth #1 seed plays the first #2 seed and so on.
2. The attendance sucks. Many places are going to have very, very low attendance.
3. Three regions are stacked while the other one is very easy. (Worcester, Colorado Springs and Madison regions are stacked while the Albany gives a very easy path for Michigan to make the Frozen Four)
On to my Predictions:
East Regional (Albany, NY) - March 28-29
1. Michigan vs. 4. Niagara - Michigan 4-1
2. St. Cloud State vs. 3. Clarkson - St. Cloud State 3-2
1. Michigan vs. 2. St. Cloud State - Michigan 2-1
West Regional (Colorado Springs, CO) - March 28-29
1. New Hampshire vs. 4. Notre Dame - New Hampshire 2-1
2. Colorado College vs. 3. Michigan State - Michigan State- 1-0
1. New Hampshire vs. 3. Michigan State - Michigan State 3-2
Midwest Regional (Madison, WI) - March 29-30
1. North Dakota vs. 4. Princeton - North Dakota 4-0
2. Denver vs. 3. Wisconsin - Wisconsin 3-1
1. North Dakota vs. 3. Wisconsin - North Dakota 2-0
Northeast Regional (Worcester, MA) - March 29-30
1. Miami (OH) vs. 4. Air Force - Miami (OH) 3-0
2. Boston College vs. 3. Minnesota - Boston College 3-2
1. Miami (OH) vs. 2. Boston College - Boston College 3-1
Now on to the Frozen Four held April 10 and April 12 in Denver, CO:
Michigan vs. Michigan State - What a match-up! This is what the Frozen Four is meant for, two teams from the same state that hate each other. Michigan is the best team in college hockey this year with great team speed, explosion, goaltending and scoring but Michigan State is the defending National Champions coming out hard to defend their title. Michigan State will put up a great fight but Michigan just has too much talent to be stopped. Michigan 3-2
North Dakota vs. Boston College - This has turned out to be one of the best rivalries in all of college hockey, they seem to meet every year in the NCAA tournament. They already met early tie year and to show how evenly matched these teams are the tied 0-0. They have met 3 straight years in the NCAA Tourny and BC leads the series 2-1, winning in 2006 and 2007. North Dakota has a great offense and a great goalie but they are a little short on the team defense. While Boston College has a ton of experience, making the National Championship the last 2 years, but they have been very inconsistent. This has become a great rivalry and this will be one of the best games of the year but the experience of Boston College will pull them through to the National Title game. Boston College 5-4
National Championship Game - Michigan Wolverines vs. Boston College Eagles
Well, I don't know where to start. The best team in the Nation vs. the team who has been to this game a few times in the past couple of years. These two teams met in the first game of the year for both of these teams with Michigan winning 4-3 in overtime but the last time these two teams met in frozen four, Boston College beat them 4-2 in 2001. Do I think the talent of Michigan will take over this game or will the experience of Boston College? The homer in me says to pick Boston College but the brain inside says take the talent. I will go with the talent of Michigan to knock of Boston College in the final for the third straight year. Michigan 2-1
Please share your thoughts, opinions and predictions below.
- Locker Room
- how it works