I don't know what it is about some guys. They go out there on the bump, and they work their humps off time after time, but their teams just refuse to score any runs for them. Mat Latos is one of those guys. Dude is a beast, but I don't know what it is. The Reds just don't score when he's on the mound. Maybe the offense relaxes when he gets the ball because they know they're not going to need much, but it's really kind of ridiculous. It sure made things a little nervous around here yesterday. It all worked out though, so I guess there's no point in complaining about it.
THE NBA (1-2 ATS/2-0 SU/2-1 TOTALS last night and 2-10/8-3/7-5 so far for the week)
BUTTA (no play last night and 1-1 so far for the week)
Heat (-7 1/2, O194 1/2) 99, BUCKS 98 - As you can see by the projection, I'm going against my nuimbers by laying the chalk with the Heat tonight. What I can't get my head around is how The Champs can be a (-14) in Game 2 and drop 6 1/2-points just because of change of venue. I'm well aware of the home court factor, but the Heat have a better road record this season (29-12) than the Bucks have on their home floor (21-20). That's not much of a home court advantage. I actually expected this one to come Heat (-9), so I think I'm getting a bargain here. This should end up being another double digit beatdown.
ALL THE REST
1. Nets (+3 1/2, O181) 108, BULLS 92 - One thing I think we can count on for this game is that the Nets will not have as bad a shooting night as they did in Game 2, and that should be bad news for the Bulls. One thing we can't count on yet is whether or not Joe Johnson will play for Brooklyn tonight. He's bothered by a foot injury, so that could make things a little dicey for the Nets if he doesn't go. If he does, and I find out he's at 100%, the Nets might be worth a taste. I'll let you know.
2. GRIZZLIES (-4 1/2, U179 1/2) 87, Clippers 78 - I don't think there's a team out there with as much pressure on them tonight as the Griz. A loss tonight, and they're toast, and that will give rise to all the questions about personnel moves earlier in the season. I think they win tonight, but I don't feel real comfortable with the number.
THE SHOW (3-3 yesterday and 9-8 so far for the week)
BUTTA (1-0 yesterday and 3-1 so far for the week)
RED SOX (BUCHHOLZ -260) over Astros (Humber) - I'm not above shooting a duck when it's out there. I probably would be okay laying the Sox on the run line here, but what the heck. It's been a good week so far, so this pittance of a return is just piling on.
ON THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR
1. MARLINS (SLOWEY +100) over Cubs (Jackson) - At this point in time, there's just no way to justify a play on the Fish, but Edwin Jackson is 1-6 lifetime against them with a 6.38 ERA. He's also only 2-13 off a team loss and 4-12 against sub-.500 teams over the last 2 years.
2. Rockies (DeLaRosa +110) over D-BACKS (CAHILL) - A tale of 2 pitchers possibly. DLR is 7-3 lifetime against the Snakes, while Cahill is only 1-4 in his career against the Rox.
3. YANKEES (KURODA -165) over Blue Jays (Buehrle) - The Yanks are one of the few teams that Buehrle just can't seem to get over on. Granted, this is a much different Yankee squad than was envisioned in spring training, but Buehrle is only 1-8 lifetime against the Pinstripes with a whopping 6.15 ERA.
4. TWINS (WORLEY +100) over Rangers (Tepesch) - This is a horrible scheduling spot for the Rangers, and that's why it's showing up here. Texas closed a series last night in Anaheim. The game was over after midnight central time. That means the earliest they got into Minneapolis would have been about 6am this morning. This should be a tired and uninspired bunch of Rangers tonight.
THE DAILIES (8-6 ATS/5-7 SU/8-6 TOTALS yesterday and 27-29/24-29/32-24 so far for the week)
1. TIGERS (-1 1/2, O7) over Royals
2. Astros (+1 1/2, U9) at RED SOX
3. Blue Jays (+1 1/2, U8 1/2) at YANKEES
4. Rays (+1 1/2, U7) at WHITE SOX
5. TWINS (+1 1/2, O8 1/2) vs. Rangers *
6. Orioles (+1 1/2, U8) at A'S
7. MARINERS (+1 1/2, U8) vs. Angels
8. Pirates (+1 1/2, U7) at PHILLIES
9. METS (+1 1/2, U8) vs. Dodgers *
10. Reds (+1 1/2, U7 1/2) at NATIONALS
11. MARLINS (+1 1/2, U7 1/2) vs. Cubs
12. D-BACKS (-1 1/2, U9) over Rockies
* - The ties are coming fast and furious in the early going, huh?
Have a terrific Thursday! It's a beautiful day here in God's Country. I hope it is wherever you are too. I will see you tomorrow.