BCS Game Matchups

BCS Match-ups Revealed: LSU-Alabama Rematch in Title Game

12/4/11 in NCAAF   |   Dan_B   |   1067 respect

The final BCS Standings of the regular season and the BCS bowl game matchups were announced tonight. Here they are:

Rose Bowl: No. 5 Oregon (Pac-12 Champion) vs. No. 10 Wisconsin (Big Ten Champion)
Orange Bowl: No. 15 Clemson (ACC Champion) vs. No. 23 West Virginia (Big East Champion)
Sugar Bowl: No. 13 Michigan (at-large) vs. No. 11 Virginia Tech (at-large)
Fiesta Bowl: No. 4 Stanford (at-large) vs. No. 3 Oklahoma State (Big 12 Champion)
BCS National Championship Game: No. 2 Alabama (at-large) vs. No. 1 LSU (SEC Champion)

Here are some story-lines:
-The biggest story is Alabama's inclusion in the title game over Oklahoma State. The Cowboys stated their case Saturday with a convincing win over Oklahoma, but ultimately a rematch of the Nov. 5 Tigers' victory is what we get.
-The at-larges: With two SEC teams ahead of them, the likes of Arkansas (No. 6) and South Carolina (No. 9) weren't eligible for BCS bowls as the conference can only have two teams in BCS games. Stanford was guaranteed an at-large spot at No. 4 and Alabama is technically an at-large. The teams that got the two remaining at-larges were Michigan and Virginia Tech and they will square off in the Sugar Bowl.
-The selection of Virginia Tech: Virginia Tech got smoked by Clemson in the ACC Championship Game, and the ACC is 2-11 all time in BCS bowls, yet we will get to see two ACC teams in BCS bowls.
-Snubs: By including Michigan and Virginia Tech in the BCS, No. 7 Boise State and No. 8 Kansas State were shut out of the BCS.
-No non-AQs: Houston lost it's chance in the Conference USA Championship Game Saturday, TCU (No. 18) didn't finish in the top 16 of the BCS standings to qualify and Boise State didn't win its conference.  
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

12/6/11   |   godlyke_soilder   |   77 respect

godlyke_soilder wrote:
This is a Sham and a mockery within the ranks of college football!!!! This was going to happen because this is what the College football powers wanted, they knew this would be the scenario before it even happened because this is what they intended to happen!!!  How can you even compare a rematch between Boston and Los Angeles to this farce when both those teams had to fight to make it back to the Finals, they were not rewarded with an automatic trip and just because the press says these are the 2 best teams in the country does not mean they in fact are the 2 best teams in the country......the only way to truly know who is best is if everbody plays everybody, but that will never happen.....HELL MORE TEAMS ACTUALLY HAD A BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WHEN THE PRESS VOTED FOR CHAMPION, We had less bitching then!!!!

we can go forever with the what ifs, the Southerners have found a way to keep they beloved teams in the mix, only in college football do teams show support for their rivals by constantly hyping up their conferences and every other nonimportant factor.....once again this is a SHAM AND A MOCKERY!!!

12/6/11   |   scquwi1   |   1226 respect

heelfan811 wrote:
I am an SEC fan (UGA in fact).  I root for all SEC teams come bowl time.  That being said, I think the BCS system is slighted to favor the SEC and the ACC (it is obvious).  Yes, the SEC is INDEED the toughest league in college football...HOWEVER, teams like Oklahoma State gets the shaft.  They clearly deserve a shot at the title over Alabama...IMO! 

Would a playoff system be better? Of course!

Will it happen in the near future? Not a chance (the current bowl system generates too much $$$)...a playoff system would water it down!  The NCAA will have NO parts in that...bottom line!

The computers used for the BCS ranked the Big 12 as the toughest conference this year, not the SEC.

It is not the NCAA who is against the playoffs, and of course a playoff would bring in more revenue. The bowl games still happen, so the current revenue stream is untouched. The only difference is more postseason games happen with high profile teams. People will attend those games, viewers will watch on TV, and corporate sponsors will flock. Yes, much more money is to be made in a playoff system, how is that a bad thing? The only ones who don’t benefit are the top-tier major conferences. They make all the money right now. Under a playoff, the revenues would be more evenly distributed. Not completely evenly, just more evenly

12/6/11   |   heelfan811   |   15730 respect

I am an SEC fan (UGA in fact).  I root for all SEC teams come bowl time.  That being said, I think the BCS system is slighted to favor the SEC and the ACC (it is obvious).  Yes, the SEC is INDEED the toughest league in college football...HOWEVER, teams like Oklahoma State gets the shaft.  They clearly deserve a shot at the title over Alabama...IMO! 

Would a playoff system be better? Of course!

Will it happen in the near future? Not a chance (the current bowl system generates too much $$$)...a playoff system would water it down!  The NCAA will have NO parts in that...bottom line!

12/6/11   |   jaysinw   |   4882 respect

genobibb007 wrote:
 The BCS system is based on several factors when considering who gets into the championship game....of coarse wins and losses.....but what if  the top 10 schools all had 2 losses, then you go to the strength of schedule and who you beat on that tough schedule or weak schedule, then you filter in stats of teams on a national basis, that is how it is decided. The teams that did not get in had their chances Oak State for example, they play in a decent conference but they lost to a much weaker opponent  that they should have beat. People will argue that the game was delayed because of the weather and the team wasn't prepared for the delay, tough cookie. A great team should be able to overcome all types of adversities to win a game, and those kids just did not get it done that day.  Re-matches are a part of sports, it happens all they time. Is there something wrong with the BSC systems absolutely, but the bottom line is it doesn't matter what type of system that is designed  for college football there is always going to be some type of controversy about it.  College basketball has a good system, it just gives everyone a chance to win a championship period even if they are not the best team. Last year VCU went to the final four and no one in the country and perhaps the world considered them  a championship team, and they beat teams they were not suppose to beat. If there was playoff for college football and for some miracle way Arkansas State and Ohio U ended up playing for the championship, you would know that those two teams are not the best in the country, and there would be controversy behind that.

Good teams lose to weaker teams all the time, as for strength of schedule, the is a cocked too. 4 out of 6 computers did not have the SEC with the hardest schedule this year. As for say if Arkansas State and Ohio U. playing for the championship in a playoff system they would not be the best in the country. As you said  "A great team should be able to overcome all types of adversities to win a game" so if they make it to the final game then yes they would be the best. No different then the Packers winning the Super Bowl and they only got in because the Bucs lost the final game last year. Still they went on to win it all. If any of that were to happen the biggest story would be people saying see the SEC is not all that great.

12/6/11   |   jaysinw   |   4882 respect

Hilblee wrote:

Speaking of basketball, how many people complain because their team didnt get seated where they think they should or didnt make the cut?  Play in the east when they are from the west.  Just sayin that no matter what system there is, people are going to complain that their team was screwed.

People complain yes... how many teams from the top ten in basketball is pushed aside. You have a handful of teams who feel they could be in the tournament, but none of them go though the season as a top ten team and get cut out of the action. Yes people was scream but the know next year if their team wins the conference or one more game they have the chance to dance as for football before the season starts 60% do not even have a chance no matter how they play.

12/6/11   |   DERYKE   |   1204 respect

As long as a few people can control who plays for the national championship things will not change. Control is what they like makes them feel like they are something special.What is the far way to decide who plays in a playoff from a little school in which most people never heard of  to the one who is on tv every saturday? If LSU or Alabama never played on tv would the nation ever know who these teams were or the debate ? These two teams get there games aired every saturday ?Nation wide??? So dose the few people control who play for the national champion ship have control??TV yes these teams have to win yes these teams are good but Bama lost to LSU once this year so can anybody see wear this is going??????MONEY!!!!!!!!

12/6/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

jaysinw wrote:
You can set up the playoff system with smaller conferences getting a chance and you are not going to have three teams every year from the SEC. Even if it did, we would see them lose like the Big East in basketball.

Speaking of basketball, how many people complain because their team didnt get seated where they think they should or didnt make the cut?  Play in the east when they are from the west.  Just sayin that no matter what system there is, people are going to complain that their team was screwed.

12/6/11   |   genobibb007   |   18113 respect

godlyke_soilder wrote:
This is a Sham and a mockery within the ranks of college football!!!! This was going to happen because this is what the College football powers wanted, they knew this would be the scenario before it even happened because this is what they intended to happen!!!  How can you even compare a rematch between Boston and Los Angeles to this farce when both those teams had to fight to make it back to the Finals, they were not rewarded with an automatic trip and just because the press says these are the 2 best teams in the country does not mean they in fact are the 2 best teams in the country......the only way to truly know who is best is if everbody plays everybody, but that will never happen.....HELL MORE TEAMS ACTUALLY HAD A BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WHEN THE PRESS VOTED FOR CHAMPION, We had less bitching then!!!!

 The BCS system is based on several factors when considering who gets into the championship game....of coarse wins and losses.....but what if  the top 10 schools all had 2 losses, then you go to the strength of schedule and who you beat on that tough schedule or weak schedule, then you filter in stats of teams on a national basis, that is how it is decided. The teams that did not get in had their chances Oak State for example, they play in a decent conference but they lost to a much weaker opponent  that they should have beat. People will argue that the game was delayed because of the weather and the team wasn't prepared for the delay, tough cookie. A great team should be able to overcome all types of adversities to win a game, and those kids just did not get it done that day.  Re-matches are a part of sports, it happens all they time. Is there something wrong with the BSC systems absolutely, but the bottom line is it doesn't matter what type of system that is designed  for college football there is always going to be some type of controversy about it.  College basketball has a good system, it just gives everyone a chance to win a championship period even if they are not the best team. Last year VCU went to the final four and no one in the country and perhaps the world considered them  a championship team, and they beat teams they were not suppose to beat. If there was playoff for college football and for some miracle way Arkansas State and Ohio U ended up playing for the championship, you would know that those two teams are not the best in the country, and there would be controversy behind that.

12/5/11   |   godlyke_soilder   |   77 respect

genobibb007 wrote:
The bottom line is the two best teams are playing for the championship, I don't mind  rematches, there are rematches all the time in sports. Recently did the Celtics have a rematch in finals with the Lakers, one year the Celtics won and next year the Lakers won.  In 1996 Florida St and Florida played twice in the second game Florida won the national championship after losing the regular season game. The BCS system is designed to have the two best teams in country to meet reguardless of what conference they are from and it doesn't matter if you did not win your conference championship. I agree a playoff system would be nice with only 6 teams in it, anything more would be too many games, even if you had a playoff system that consisted of 6 teams there will be some teams out there saying they should be in the top six.  Fanatics (Fans) are blind to fact that these two teams are the best because it's not one of the team they root for, or because they are tired of the SEC dominating the college football the past several years, get over it, it is what it is. I sure wish Houston would have won there conference game yesterday, no one would have said the match up should be LSU and Houston two undefeated teams, people would have had a fit if the system would have but that match up for the championship, but who could have argued that they were the two best teams record wise. This will be a great game and I am will not miss it for the world

This is a Sham and a mockery within the ranks of college football!!!! This was going to happen because this is what the College football powers wanted, they knew this would be the scenario before it even happened because this is what they intended to happen!!!  How can you even compare a rematch between Boston and Los Angeles to this farce when both those teams had to fight to make it back to the Finals, they were not rewarded with an automatic trip and just because the press says these are the 2 best teams in the country does not mean they in fact are the 2 best teams in the country......the only way to truly know who is best is if everbody plays everybody, but that will never happen.....HELL MORE TEAMS ACTUALLY HAD A BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WHEN THE PRESS VOTED FOR CHAMPION, We had less bitching then!!!!

12/5/11   |   jaysinw   |   4882 respect

Hilblee wrote:
If we had a playoff, the same thing would be complained about here---why did that team make the play offs when mine didnt,?  How can the SEC have 3 teams in the playoffs?  Why cant the smaller conferences break the playoff barrier?  etc.......................

You can set up the playoff system with smaller conferences getting a chance and you are not going to have three teams every year from the SEC. Even if it did, we would see them lose like the Big East in basketball.

12/5/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

If we had a playoff, the same thing would be complained about here---why did that team make the play offs when mine didnt,?  How can the SEC have 3 teams in the playoffs?  Why cant the smaller conferences break the playoff barrier?  etc.......................

12/5/11   |   scquwi1   |   1226 respect

All I have to say, is next year lets have a playoffs system... it will make for better football at the end of the season.

12/5/11   |   jaysinw   |   4882 respect

Every game does not matter in college football, again this season shows it. It has been shown over and over that the coaches polls has bias and with the studies done the computer are no different. This season just goes to show why college football needs to go to a playoff system, and those that say we all ready have to best teams then they would move though the playoffs and still play in the title game.

12/5/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

richard_cranium wrote:
If you didn't win your conference, thereby not being the best team in your conference. You don't deserve to play for the National Championship! OSU should have the opportunity to play for the title. Once again The BcS and NCAA show that they are just in it for the money. None of which goes to the kids playing the game.

I disagree---Why cant the best 2 teams in the country be from the same conference? 

12/5/11   |   DERYKE   |   1204 respect

LSU is the number 1 team at the end of the season. As the rest it is made up from numbers put in a machine made by man,coaches,opion and writers for BCS this year .Playoffs a must i agree it wold be nice if the NCAA could come up with a way that the fans could vote on the teams posted on line to go to a bowl game let the fans vote most votes per to seewho plays who in each bowl until the play off  is in place.Maybe the fans could pick a better mach up on bowl games in which the teams who are playing .I have read some of the above and agree on a lot of what there basics.LSU -ALABAMA   ok this year Boise State - Oregon speed teams high scoring.if these teams have played i am sorry i have only been abled to see both of these teams play one game this year due from wear i live.Wisconsin- Kansas ST.i agree this would be a good game but this is not going to happen this year.Has i watched the BCS show showing who was going to what bowl game to play who my opion i was telling my self good game maybe or good chance of blowout bad choice of teams to play each other.Just my opion only.

12/5/11   |   harleyhoney43   |   8 respect

I think the fairest would have been for bama to play ok in the sugar, then LSU play the winner. We have handled bama once why should they get a redo. They lost once, but then we talking bama they are sore loser and thats ok. LSU will roll them tide a**es back to bama. Then maybe we get the respect we deserve. I THINK THE BCS SUCKS THERES NOTHING FAIR ABOUT IT

12/5/11   |   Mark_Guerrero   |   91 respect

It's the right matchup. Number 1 team versus the number 2 team. OkState fans upset?? Easy don't lose to a unranked team and have a defense ranked better then 107th!!!!! Saying you have to win ur confrence is the dumbest thing ever. So say okState lost and Oregon was the next best team. That means ur genius will have Oregon over bama even though Oregon had 2 losses including getting whooped by lsu just because they won the PAC!?!? Please. Sorry the BCS was made to make sure that the TWO BEST TEAMA PLAT FOR THE NATIONAL TITLE all of you haters can only argue about rules that don't exsist and can't even say okState is better then bama.

12/4/11   |   genobibb007   |   18113 respect

The bottom line is the two best teams are playing for the championship, I don't mind  rematches, there are rematches all the time in sports. Recently did the Celtics have a rematch in finals with the Lakers, one year the Celtics won and next year the Lakers won.  In 1996 Florida St and Florida played twice in the second game Florida won the national championship after losing the regular season game. The BCS system is designed to have the two best teams in country to meet reguardless of what conference they are from and it doesn't matter if you did not win your conference championship. I agree a playoff system would be nice with only 6 teams in it, anything more would be too many games, even if you had a playoff system that consisted of 6 teams there will be some teams out there saying they should be in the top six.  Fanatics (Fans) are blind to fact that these two teams are the best because it's not one of the team they root for, or because they are tired of the SEC dominating the college football the past several years, get over it, it is what it is. I sure wish Houston would have won there conference game yesterday, no one would have said the match up should be LSU and Houston two undefeated teams, people would have had a fit if the system would have but that match up for the championship, but who could have argued that they were the two best teams record wise. This will be a great game and I am will not miss it for the world

12/4/11   |   richard_cranium   |   17641 respect

Eric_ wrote:
For fun, this is how my playoff system I outlined yesterday would've played out.

(1) LSU (SEC champion) vs. (16) Arkansas State (Sun Belt champion)
(8) Kansas State (at-large) vs. (9) Wisconsin (Big 10 champion)
(5) Oregon (Pac 12 champion) vs. (12) Southern Miss (C-USA champion)
(4) Stanford (at-large) vs. (13) West Virginia (Big East champion)

(6) Arkansas (at-large) vs. (11) TCU (MWC champion)
(3) Oklahoma State (Big 12 champion) vs. (14) Northern Illinois (MAC champion)
(7) Boise State (at-large) vs. (10) Clemson (ACC champion)
(2) Alabama (at-large) vs. (15) Louisiana Tech (WAC champion)

Kansas State is the last at-large here, with the last teams out being South Carolina, Virginia Tech, and Baylor.

 I was just talking about this with a friend, even if they didn't start the playoffs till December 17th, so that Army/Navy will be the only game next Saturday and giving all the teams an off week to get healthy. They would still play the National Championship game on January 7, 2012. LSU/Bama is currently scheduled for January 9, 2012, so it would take no longer to complete the season.

12/4/11   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

For fun, this is how my playoff system I outlined yesterday would've played out.

(1) LSU (SEC champion) vs. (16) Arkansas State (Sun Belt champion)
(8) Kansas State (at-large) vs. (9) Wisconsin (Big 10 champion)
(5) Oregon (Pac 12 champion) vs. (12) Southern Miss (C-USA champion)
(4) Stanford (at-large) vs. (13) West Virginia (Big East champion)

(6) Arkansas (at-large) vs. (11) TCU (MWC champion)
(3) Oklahoma State (Big 12 champion) vs. (14) Northern Illinois (MAC champion)
(7) Boise State (at-large) vs. (10) Clemson (ACC champion)
(2) Alabama (at-large) vs. (15) Louisiana Tech (WAC champion)

Kansas State is the last at-large here, with the last teams out being South Carolina, Virginia Tech, and Baylor.

12/4/11   |   Scott   |   51764 respect

Let's also get rid of the stupid notion that "Every game counts", especially when it comes to the conference title games.  LSU wasnt going to get penalized had they lost the SEC title game and it's obvious that Virginia Tech didnt get penalized but why did Michigan State?  They actually beat Michigan during the regular season, finished ahead of the them in their division and came 4 points away from winning the first Big Ten championship game yet for some reason the Wolverines hopped over them and into the Sugar Bowl.

12/4/11   |   richard_cranium   |   17641 respect

If you didn't win your conference, thereby not being the best team in your conference. You don't deserve to play for the National Championship! OSU should have the opportunity to play for the title. Once again The BcS and NCAA show that they are just in it for the money. None of which goes to the kids playing the game.

12/4/11   |   Scott   |   51764 respect

 Just goes to show you that when you are a one loss team in the top 3 or 4, it doesn't matter who you beat.  What matters most is who you lost to.  In the end, Bama lost to #1 LSU and Oklahoma State lost to an Iowa State team that went 3-6 in the Big XII