Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony Girl Singer Lip-Synched Song
Olympics, Summer, Dumbass

China Went Milli Vanilli On Us

8/12/08 in Olympics, Summer   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

At this point in time, nothing the Chinese do anymore at these Olympic Games would surprise me. They could shave a bear and put him out on the wrestling mat and it wouldn't shock me in the least. And on top of that, I'm sure the bear would test positive for steroids as well.

The reason why nothing surprises me anymore is primarily because of this. While we all know the Opening Ceremony used CGI effects to upgrade the experience for TV viewers, it appears they also pulled a Milli Vanilli on us.

Yep, the girl in the top right hand corner there, 9-year-old Lin Miaoke, charmed the whole world when she came out and "sang" the patriotic song "Hymn to the Motherland" at the Opening Ceremony. But of course, she didn't actually sing it. So who did? 

That would be 7-year-old Yang Peiyi. I bet you can't guess why she didn't actually get to sing the song in person.

At the last moment a member of the Chinese politburo who was watching a rehearsal pronounced that the winner, a girl called Yang Peiyi, might have a perfect voice but was unsuited to the lead role because of her buck teeth.

Damn, that's harsh. Although the fact that they didn't throw her out into the forrest to fend for herself after they ripped her song is probably considered a compliment in China. See, they're sort of behind on women's rights. She should just be glad she's still alive.

But, really, was this just about looks, China? Tell us more.

"The main consideration was the national interest," Chen Qigang, the show's musical designer said. "The child on the screen should be flawless in image, in her internal feelings, and in her expression."

I'm just guessing here, but I could have sworn some infamous German guy may have said something similar to that during the 1936 Olympic Games.

Anyway, Chen said the decision was "fair" which must be Chinese for "not fair at all." But it also begs the question, why was 9-year-old Lin Miaoke allowed to give interviews right after her performance to all the top Chinese newspapers in which she lapped up the praise for her singing?

Mr Chen said she might not have known that the words she was singing could not be heard. She had, in fact, only known she was going to perform at all 15 minutes beforehand.

Oh, that's a good one China. How dumb do you think I am? You've been planning these Olympics since time immemorial and you're going to throw a 9-year-old girl out there who doesn't know she's lip synching? Man, that could go Ashlee Simpson real fast. I wonder why that didn't happen?

And here's the best part of this whole story. The 7-year-old girl with buck teeth had this to say when asked if she was upset about what had happened.

"I am proud to have been chosen to sing at all."

Sounds exactly like something a 7-year-old would say.

Moral of the story: Always be attractive, don't live in China.

Faking scandal over girl who sang in Opening Ceremony [
Telegraph]
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

8/19/08   |   ylloveyo_110504899

danny_n94 wrote:
Wow the Chinese government lets you say that?

I love the freedom of the press and the other freedoms we have here in America. Its great. I dont need permission to anything. I can protest what I want, and practice any religion I want. I can even criticize my friggin government when I want. I agree with my freedom loving Americaqns that have posted above me!!!

Your performance made me feel funny.

8/19/08   |   ylloveyo_110504899

This is not fair, I simply do not understand what you say, but I guess you mean must be very ridiculous.
Yankees very sad! Their countries such power, has to stand up and accused other countries.
hahahaha

8/18/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

ylloveyo_110504899 wrote:
You are a VERY foolish dunkey!


A Chinese people give you!

Wow the Chinese government lets you say that?

I love the freedom of the press and the other freedoms we have here in America. Its great. I dont need permission to anything. I can protest what I want, and practice any religion I want. I can even criticize my friggin government when I want. I agree with my freedom loving Americaqns that have posted above me!!!

8/18/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

ylloveyo_110504899 wrote:
Do you know Chinese culture and politics?
Your  free presses are very stuipd and mean!

Yes... freedom is a cruel lady.

8/18/08   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

ylloveyo_110504899 wrote:
Why do you said that?

Because there are many inconsistancies in the things you're saying. Our government or press wouldnt tell a little girl that she is too ugly to sing in public. Our press wont run a princess off the road resulting in her death (Princess Diana RIP). Our press is unruly, yes, I can agree. But the meanest? No. The worst? No, far from it.

"

You are a VERY foolish dunkey!


A Chinese people give you! "

WTF does that mean? A Chinese people give you? Give you what? A bad gesture? A high five on FanIQ? And did you mean donkey?

8/18/08   |   ylloveyo_110504899

TurkogluForMVP wrote:
You dont make sense. Stop typing.

Why do you said that?

8/18/08   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

ylloveyo_110504899 wrote:
Do you know Chinese culture and politics?
Your  free presses are very stuipd and mean!

You dont make sense. Stop typing.

8/18/08   |   ylloveyo_110504899

Do you know Chinese culture and politics?
Your  free presses are very stuipd and mean!

8/18/08   |   ylloveyo_110504899

Pat wrote:
I love Chinese people. Without them, we wouldn't have these:




What you wouldn't have?I guess the pictures what you have sent are VERY sick,right?
Can you send it again?I think you can't.You don't have the pride.
I think you are a very jocky clown.

8/17/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

ylloveyo_110504899 wrote:
For incarnate you are blinkered.I give all of the dissenter of China a sentense:

ȏs~C܎{l

I love Chinese people. Without them, we wouldn't have these:




8/17/08   |   ylloveyo_110504899

For incarnate you are blinkered.I give all of the dissenter of China a sentense:

ȏs~C܎{l

8/17/08   |   ylloveyo_110504899

danny_n94 wrote:
You know, nobody is forcing to watch the TV, go to McDonalds and to drive. So get off your friggin high horse and STFU! But I am sure you forgot China has nukes, so does Russia. Your sanctimony is so halirous. I am willing to bet you have never been to the Middle East or to an oppresed nation. If it is so bad over here move over there and live the life of the oppressed. You wouldnt last

You are a VERY foolish dunkey!


A Chinese people give you!

8/13/08   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

danny_n94 wrote:
You know, nobody is forcing to watch the TV, go to McDonalds and to drive. So get off your friggin high horse and STFU! But I am sure you forgot China has nukes, so does Russia. Your sanctimony is so halirous. I am willing to bet you have never been to the Middle East or to an oppresed nation. If it is so bad over here move over there and live the life of the oppressed. You wouldnt last

You just got served western culture hater

8/13/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

TurkogluForMVP wrote:
Aw it was deleted :(

Yeah sorry about that... I did that. That post was just a little bit outside of FanIQ guidelines, so I made like China and censored it hahaha.

yescomeon - Feel free to post your opinion anytime you please, but leave the profanities out of it, thank you very much.

8/13/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

1thingsthatmatter1 wrote:
And ieatkids--wow great things us Americans invented. I mean, TVs to increase obesity rates, cars to destroy the enviroment (and you're blaming China for the pollution), Macdonalds to get people to experience the fun of heart attacks, and oh I almost forgot : atomic bombs to destroy everything.
Hey it's getting late, what time is it? Oh you don't know coz apparently clocks that Chinese people invented are just not good enough for you to sacrifice your precious money on that could otherwise be used to buy junk food.

You know, nobody is forcing to watch the TV, go to McDonalds and to drive. So get off your friggin high horse and STFU! But I am sure you forgot China has nukes, so does Russia. Your sanctimony is so halirous. I am willing to bet you have never been to the Middle East or to an oppresed nation. If it is so bad over here move over there and live the life of the oppressed. You wouldnt last

8/13/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

1thingsthatmatter1 wrote:

Human Rights. Uh-huh. Yeah, like you've actually lived in China and REALLY know what you're talking about. You know I used to sound like you but the western perspective is just pathetic once you actually get to know the other side of the story -- oh yes there is another side, you narrow-minded people! So Osama Bin Ladin blew up those buildings in China because of the whole human rights thing did he? And it's China that's started the war in Iraq and destroyed all those homes and killed all those people and not to mention to cause that little rise in oil prices? Jeez talk about ignorance and arrogance these days...

.But China condones whats going on in the Sudan. Doesnt that upset your sensiblilties? Or is it because you dislike the western culture

8/13/08   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

Aw it was deleted :(

8/13/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

Have you been there? Well son, I HAVE! Its not what you see on your friggin TV. So get off your high horse. I have to places where they put on a good show but are so oppresive. So I dont give a crap what you say. Plus you are the worse Aussie I have ever had contact with. Yes, I have been to Australlia also. I have never met an Australlian who condones what China is doing. I bet you expect all women to be in Burkas also

8/13/08   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

(Edited by TurkogluForMVP)

so you are embarassing Australia... thanks for clearing that up.

8/13/08   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

mengoxxmango wrote:
it is heartbreaking to think what the 7 yr old must have felt especially after months of excitement at this opportunity.  i get the whole aesthetics thing but couldn't they have put some caps on her or something?

but your statement that women's rights are not big in china is incorrect.  there have been female rulers throughout the history of china.  and one of the few good things from the communist movement is the emphasis on equality between the sexes.  as opposed to their western counterparts, chinese women are not limited in life by glass ceilings or sexist social standards.  (also as a writer, this point is a bit irrelevant from the point of your post)

editorial is fun to write and entertaining to read, but once you start citing facts, they need to be unbiased and substantial.
(Edited by TurkogluForMVP)

Women are still lower than men in China. I spoke with a friend who's father was an immigrant from China and he said they still favor the male over female as a child, business person or any higher up position. As a writer I expect you to have sources rather than a few names as rulers. I can tell you from a source coming from China's upper class women are still alot lower than what youre implying.

But with all that said. I completly agree with the amount of heartbreak it must have caused...

8/13/08   |   mengoxxmango

it is heartbreaking to think what the 7 yr old must have felt especially after months of excitement at this opportunity.  i get the whole aesthetics thing but couldn't they have put some caps on her or something?

but your statement that women's rights are not big in china is incorrect.  there have been female rulers throughout the history of china.  and one of the few good things from the communist movement is the emphasis on equality between the sexes.  as opposed to their western counterparts, chinese women are not limited in life by glass ceilings or sexist social standards.  (also as a writer, this point is a bit irrelevant from the point of your post)

editorial is fun to write and entertaining to read, but once you start citing facts, they need to be unbiased and substantial.

8/13/08   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

1thingsthatmatter1 wrote:
And ieatkids--wow great things us Americans invented. I mean, TVs to increase obesity rates, cars to destroy the enviroment (and you're blaming China for the pollution), Macdonalds to get people to experience the fun of heart attacks, and oh I almost forgot : atomic bombs to destroy everything.
Hey it's getting late, what time is it? Oh you don't know coz apparently clocks that Chinese people invented are just not good enough for you to sacrifice your precious money on that could otherwise be used to buy junk food.

Sure I know what time it is. It's called a computer...oh my another thing an american invented. Woe is me. You really want to get into this? America has invented more things needed in todays lifestyle than any other country. USA has discovered things with just as much importance.

The Japanese had it coming and we werent the one to spark explosives. Blame your beloved China for that.

TV wasnt meant to increase obesity and its kind of hypocritical from some one who watches it. Same with the car!

You say its cars that cause pollution? Are you serious? Have you seen China's factories? Ours at least have filters and government regulation. Have you SEEN the real Bejing? Apparently not because you talking all this garbage about America but youre blinded by the truth.

Gas prices and Iraq  have nothing to do with anything but your personal hatred against our government officials. Youre a liberal, thats cool but you need to stop drifting so much left you get stuck in this embarassing state of mind. (i think the same thing about the right as well.)

The fact that you think all americans love McDonalds and junk food is a sign of ignorance so dont preach ignorance or arrogance when you display it yourself. Get out of the college mindset where you get offended by everything America does and contribute to the country instead of sitting in a corner and whining.

8/13/08   |   1thingsthatmatter1

And ieatkids--wow great things us Americans invented. I mean, TVs to increase obesity rates, cars to destroy the enviroment (and you're blaming China for the pollution), Macdonalds to get people to experience the fun of heart attacks, and oh I almost forgot : atomic bombs to destroy everything.
Hey it's getting late, what time is it? Oh you don't know coz apparently clocks that Chinese people invented are just not good enough for you to sacrifice your precious money on that could otherwise be used to buy junk food.

8/13/08   |   1thingsthatmatter1

Human Rights. Uh-huh. Yeah, like you've actually lived in China and REALLY know what you're talking about. You know I used to sound like you but the western perspective is just pathetic once you actually get to know the other side of the story -- oh yes there is another side, you narrow-minded people! So Osama Bin Ladin blew up those buildings in China because of the whole human rights thing did he? And it's China that's started the war in Iraq and destroyed all those homes and killed all those people and not to mention to cause that little rise in oil prices? Jeez talk about ignorance and arrogance these days...

8/12/08   |   markmitchell

The opening to the Olympic Games was breath taking; A fantastic celebration of China, its thoughts and art. I understand that you always want more. Americans want and want, and want more. But the opening was a truly assume show. If I were Chinese I would proud to be a part of it even if it was just my voice. And shouldn't we also be thankful for their years of hard work to prepare such a show for us. (Aside from all the political stuff, those in the show, the men, women and children, worked hard to prepare it. I enjoyed it. I am thankful for their hard work. Nations and politicians do as they will.)

As for good will. China will have to do more than put on a beautiful show to gain good will in the world. As will all nations of power. And none of the nations are so strong that they will not be destroyed from within if they do not find how to work together to meet the challenges that are before them. A ferrous desire for personal wealth, without thought for results of our actions. This is ingrained in the human race. It is just as much a problem in China as it is here in the US.  We have more political restraints concerning a cleaner environment. But when we didn't, we had the same result. Likewise for human rights.

My prayer is that both the US and China will be given wise leaders that care for their people. At least we could hope.

8/12/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

100%InjuryRate wrote:
Oh I'm sure we're censored in China. Just like Fire Joe Morgan (which is inexplicable as it's a site that mocks American announcers).

Well if you were not, you surely are now.
I would take that as sign of greatness

8/12/08   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

danny_n94 wrote:
100% must be proud. You got an offical spokesman of China to comment on your post. GREAT JOB! I love defenders of China, and their mist, err polution. I am surprised they have not censored this site yet, because it is critical to the human regime in China. Plus FREE TIBET.
How about that yescomeon. I said it!

Oh I'm sure we're censored in China. Just like Fire Joe Morgan (which is inexplicable as it's a site that mocks American announcers).

8/12/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

plwthrd wrote:
Is this really news worthy?  There are people being starving because their government wont let food to there villieges, a war that has not even come close to achieving it's goal, and the flooding in the m idwest nas been now forgotten.   Let the little girl stand, lip sync and give those watching her the proud feeling that the Olympics are about the athelets and all competeing under a whole unified group.

Why not give the little girl who REALLY sang a chance to stand up there? Doesn't it register with you that this is just one more example of their indecency and inhumanity? It's a small case, but if they would do something like this because one 6-year old girl is better looking than another 6-year old girl... that says a lot, in my opinion.

8/12/08   |   plwthrd

(Edited by plwthrd)

Is this really news worthy?  There are people being starving because their government wont let food to there villieges, a war that has not even come close to achieving it's goal, and the flooding in the m idwest nas been now forgotten.   Let the little girl stand, lip sync and give those watching her the proud feeling that the Olympics are about the athelets and all competeing under a whole unified group.

8/12/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

100% must be proud. You got an offical spokesman of China to comment on your post. GREAT JOB! I love defenders of China, and their mist, err polution. I am surprised they have not censored this site yet, because it is critical to the human regime in China. Plus FREE TIBET.
How about that yescomeon. I said it!

8/12/08   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

yescomeon- So we should also shutup about the 14 yr old gymnastic girls and the murder on Americans. Then the rest of the world should shutup about Guantanamo. They should have shutup about the Holocaust. Get your crap outta here dude you have no idea what youre talking about. Ashlee Simpson got ridiculed for lipsyncing too. Why not this? We are jealous? Please our country has created more innovative technological inventions and discovered alot more than the Chinese. OH M GOD GUN POWDER AND FIREWORKS...the light, tv, cars, camera, phone etc etc... theres nothing to be jealous about except for the fact we cant wear masks and make it look normal since our smog doesnt burn the lungs of our civilians. Throw your computer away and never talk again.

8/12/08   |   yescomeon

(Edited by Pat)

your article about lip syncing is garbage.
the western media is just picking on all the little things, and its
things the any other ceremony hosts would do too. so stop pretending
what china did was unethical and we all should be shocked about it. of
course you have to look good on tv, especially if the whole world is
going to view. noone will pick an ugly performer. look at mtv...do you
ever see ugly dancers? no.

and all the bagging out about human rights and free tibet and pollution.
they all should back off. tibet will always be part of china and
always was part of china.

all this stuff people are reporting are just jealous and cant hack it
was the best opening ceremony.

your just garbage report on some real news
 

8/12/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

In other news, 600 million of China's 1.3 billion people are really just computer-generated, as well as 47% of the Great Wall.