Brandon Inge has kind of been sucking something fierce this year for the Tigers. He's hitting a whopping .215 and is only being used as a utility man. This is of course after he had an offseason fit about Miguel Cabrera getting traded to Detroit to steal his primary position.
So maybe, just maybe, he's gotten fed up and has decided to pack it in.
Inge has been placed on the disabled list after he - get this - injured himself moving his three-year-old's pillow.
I liked Jim Leyland's response the best:
"That's a first."Can't disagree with Jim there. Apparently Inge already had a sore oblique muscle, and the vicious pillow sent it over the edge. Now see here's my question. Even if this story is true, why would you ever admit it? It's one of the stupidest injuries I've ever heard of. Just say you got into a bar fight with a homeless, knife-wielding lunatic.
Obviously Inge's injury allows me to recall some of the weirdest injuries in sports history. Here we go:
- Mariana Camargo of Oral Roberts' women's basketball team, and their best player, tears her ACL during the opening tip-off of an NCAA Tournament game when she slips on a University of Tennessee placard.
- St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Vince Coleman injured his knee when he was run over by the animated field tarp apparatus before the 1985 World Series.
- Sacramento Kings rookie Lionel Simmons missed some games during the 1991 season when he developed tendinitis in his right wrist from playing too many video games, primarily Nintendo GameBoy.
- Ken Griffey Jr. once missed a game for the Mariners when he pinched himself with his protective cup.
- Tom Glavine, then with the Atlanta Braves, broke a rib when he threw up an in-flight meal on an airplane.
- Arizona kicker Bill Gramatica suffered a season-ending injury when he tore his ACL celebrating a successful field goal.
- Hall of Famer George Brett broke his toe when he tripped running from the kitchen to the living room to watch a baseball game replay of himself on TV.
- Sammy Sosa had to go on injured reserve when he hurt his back while sneezing.
- David Cone missed a start when his mother-in-law's dog bit him.
- Nolan Ryan once missed a start because he was bitten by a coyote.
- Washington QB Gus Ferotte was taken to the hospital with a jammed neck after he head-butted the end zone concrete wall while celebrating a touchdown.
- Tony Gwynn fractured a finger when he slammed his car door on his hand.
- Boston's Craig Grebeck had to leave a game after rubbing his eye with a finger that had stick-em on it.
- Back in the 70s, Norwegian International defender Svein Grondalen had to withdraw from an International after an accident which happened while he was out jogging. He collided with a moose.
- Soccer player David Seaman once broke a bone reaching for his TV remote
- In 1970 the career of Brentford's goalie Chic Brodie was ended by injury following a mid-match collision with a dog that had invaded the pitch.
- Soccer player Milan Rapaic once missed the start of Hajduk Split's season after sticking his boarding-pass in his eye at the airport.
- Indonesian star Mistar, 25, was tragically killed by a herd of pigs that invaded his team's training pitch before a Cup fixture in 1995.
- And we can never forget Felix Pie of the Cubs, who suffered a twisted testicle (which required surgery).