Brett Favre Backs Out Of Charity Golf Tournament, Presumably To Prepare For Training Camp
NFL, Rumors

Can We Just End This Now? Favre Is Clearly Coming Back For Another Season.

6/18/08 in NFL   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect



God is this ever getting annoying.

Brett Favre's retirement is once again the subject of speculation. It seems Favre was planning on playing in the 19th annual American Century Celebrity Golf Championship at Lake Tahoe on July 11-13. But guess what? His representatives sent an e-mail to NBC officials late Friday that said he was "probably not coming" due to a scheduling conflict.

A scheduling conflict? This guy hasn't been doing anything except making Wrangler jeans commercials.

And hey, look at this. His official website says he's free all summer. So why is Favre skipping the event? Because training camp starts only two weeks later.

Look, let's just be honest here. There's been no news that he ever filed his retirement papers, he told his hometown newspaper he might come back, he basically told Letterman the same thing as well, and old teammates of his swear he's coming back.

Just say it with me now people: Brett Favre is going to play this year.

Now, I like Favre. Have always thought he's an exciting player and there's no question he's a Hall of Famer. But this is just totally and utterly classless. Just say you're coming back.

Not only are you keeping your team on edge, but you're also causing Aaron Rodgers to wake up in a cold sweat every night.

If anyone else in the NFL aside from Peyton and Brady did this - like T.O., Chad Johnson, Tony Romo, David Garrard, Pacman, Ben Roethlisberger - they'd be KILLED by the press.

Instead, Favre can do no wrong, even though he's currently doing everything wrong.

At this point, I'd almost like to see him come back, just so I can see him throw another season ending pick. He sure as hell deserves it.

[HT: Deadspin for Favre's official site]
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

2/10/11   |   kantwistaye   |   4214 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
He's not coming back.  Thats all.

 Ha! Man, this guy was an idiot. 

6/22/08   |   MIKE!   |   41 respect

Pat wrote:
I don't give a damn about what the manager at McDonald's wants to do. But when he has a tear-filled press conference about his retirement, and I have to listen to him expound on whether or not he wants to continue every year, and his lousy job is front page news for no good reason, THAT's when it would piss me off... just like Favre.

But great job at providing a completely irrelevant and nonsensical analogy.

its called a DAMN EXAMPLE! IT ISNT GOING TO BE THE EXACT SAME DAMN THING! its just AN EXAMPLE! learn that ur opinion isnt the only thing in the world or on this blog. im not saying that u dont have good points, but there are times when you say stuff of complete irrelevence....THAT'S something that could piss me off

6/22/08   |   MIKE!   |   41 respect

Pat wrote:
I don't give a damn about what the manager at McDonald's wants to do. But when he has a tear-filled press conference about his retirement, and I have to listen to him expound on whether or not he wants to continue every year, and his lousy job is front page news for no good reason, THAT's when it would piss me off... just like Favre.

But great job at providing a completely irrelevant and nonsensical analogy.

thanks buddy

6/22/08   |   RespectTheStar   |   60 respect

MIKE! wrote:
yea, because brett favre had such a horrible season last year and a horrible career, no team would want him :-\

Who said farve wasn't any good? Hell, dude had a hell of a season. But, he's a risk. Honestly, he cant play forever. He may have another few years in him, or he may not have another one. Teams are not going to get 10+ years out of him. He would be nothing more then a stop-gap, who could come undone at any moment. Would you want to pay millions one top of millions for a "temp"?

6/22/08   |   RobPeyton

besides that man is gonna drive his tractor and where out all his wranglers. you cant wear jeans on the football field!!!

6/22/08   |   RobPeyton

RespectTheStar wrote:
I think everyone is missing the point here. IF Farve comes back, personally I dont think the Packers would take him back. This would absolutley destroy Aaron Rodgers, the "future" of this franchise. If he comes back, he would have to come back, and then get traded to get out of what's left of his contract. Besides, who would need Farve? Carolina mabey. Dont see him playing in Minnisota. The Dolphins? TB mabey. Dont see it happening. Mabey thats just me.

shoot if i could take favre over some of the other qbs these teams are dealing with id take him. no matter what hes solid and a good leader and still playing pretty good (although he threw a very important pick). im sure there are teams out there that would benifit from having him on the team.

6/21/08   |   MIKE!   |   41 respect

RespectTheStar wrote:
I think everyone is missing the point here. IF Farve comes back, personally I dont think the Packers would take him back. This would absolutley destroy Aaron Rodgers, the "future" of this franchise. If he comes back, he would have to come back, and then get traded to get out of what's left of his contract. Besides, who would need Farve? Carolina mabey. Dont see him playing in Minnisota. The Dolphins? TB mabey. Dont see it happening. Mabey thats just me.

yea, because brett favre had such a horrible season last year and a horrible career, no team would want him :-\

6/21/08   |   chad_is_god

RespectTheStar wrote:
The Jags? Honestly? The QB isnt the problem in Jacksonville,the recievers are/were. Hell, Gerrard didnt throw an INT till what, week 15? 2500 yds, 18 td's , and a 102 QB rating with that recieving core? Dont think they will be looking elsewhere for a while, except for at reciever. Atlanta? Not after drafting what's his name. They are looking for a "Face" for their franchise, not a temporary solution. Arizona? Dont be so sold on Leinhart yet. He could be decent if he had anything better than swiss cheese for an o-line. I could see the Chiefs, to but time to develope a younger guy like brodie. I mentioned the Bucs, Carolina, Miami, and Minnisota. The 9ers? Possibly. The Jets? Mabey, but if they did it's bye-bye to the oft injured one. I do agree though. This is much ado about nothing. I wouldnt want to go out in public if every single person was going to ask me the same question 20 times.

Its not that i think Lienart won't be any good, its just that Favre is PROVEN already, and Lienart has yet to do so!

 

And as for David, he is typically injury prone! Wouldn't it be nice to have a guy that has played like a million consecutive games?

Once again same situation in ATL as ARI The young "what's his face" has yet to even start an NFL game! I hate franchises that just draft QB's and start them without having a vetteran to show the way. I mean ATL can be an acception considering they don't have a vetteran to show the way...maybe that's where Favre would come in.

But as we both agree, we don't think he's coming back. He has hung up his jersey and has purchased a Titliest 905R and a bunch of Pro v1's! Time to work on his handicap!! lmao

6/21/08   |   RespectTheStar   |   60 respect

chad_is_god wrote:

Honestly.

The Jags
The Chiefs
The Bucs
Carolina
Miami
Minnisota
Atlanta
Arizona

The 49er's
The Jets
The Bears (that would be funny)

all of these teams can easily say they need improvment in the QB role.

 

 

However, all this aside, I DOUBT Favre returns. It's like i said before, someone was reaching a tad too far here.

The Jags? Honestly? The QB isnt the problem in Jacksonville,the recievers are/were. Hell, Gerrard didnt throw an INT till what, week 15? 2500 yds, 18 td's , and a 102 QB rating with that recieving core? Dont think they will be looking elsewhere for a while, except for at reciever. Atlanta? Not after drafting what's his name. They are looking for a "Face" for their franchise, not a temporary solution. Arizona? Dont be so sold on Leinhart yet. He could be decent if he had anything better than swiss cheese for an o-line. I could see the Chiefs, to but time to develope a younger guy like brodie. I mentioned the Bucs, Carolina, Miami, and Minnisota. The 9ers? Possibly. The Jets? Mabey, but if they did it's bye-bye to the oft injured one. I do agree though. This is much ado about nothing. I wouldnt want to go out in public if every single person was going to ask me the same question 20 times.

6/21/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

MIKE! wrote:
ok. lets say you are the manager at McDonalds and you have been debating of retiring and giving up your job to a more youthful guy. You come out and have a GREAT year and people don't want you to leave, and then you retire. Well, you also really like Taco Bell. You are going to go to Taco Bell for dinner one night, but you don't feel like it. So, you don't go to Taco Bell. Then all of a sudden, all over there is talk about you coming back just because you didnt eat at Taco Bell!

my point is that just because he may not want to do something DOESNT automatically mean that he is coming back to football. Ever think that just MAYBE he may NOT want to play! He did say that for the first year he wanted to just relax and he wouldnt take part of the annual softball tournament and stuff like that. Just maybe he DOESNT WANT TO TAKE PART IN THE GOLF TOURNAMENT!!! For all of you that feel he is "playing a game with the media" it is BS because THE MEDIA GETS ITSELF INVOLVED IN EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

I don't give a damn about what the manager at McDonald's wants to do. But when he has a tear-filled press conference about his retirement, and I have to listen to him expound on whether or not he wants to continue every year, and his lousy job is front page news for no good reason, THAT's when it would piss me off... just like Favre.

But great job at providing a completely irrelevant and nonsensical analogy.

6/20/08   |   chad_is_god

RespectTheStar wrote:
I think everyone is missing the point here. IF Farve comes back, personally I dont think the Packers would take him back. This would absolutley destroy Aaron Rodgers, the "future" of this franchise. If he comes back, he would have to come back, and then get traded to get out of what's left of his contract. Besides, who would need Farve? Carolina mabey. Dont see him playing in Minnisota. The Dolphins? TB mabey. Dont see it happening. Mabey thats just me.
(Edited by chad_is_god)

Honestly.

The Jags
The Chiefs
The Bucs
Carolina
Miami
Minnisota
Atlanta
Arizona

The 49er's
The Jets
The Bears (that would be funny)

all of these teams can easily say they need improvment in the QB role.

 

 

However, all this aside, I DOUBT Favre returns. It's like i said before, someone was reaching a tad too far here.

6/20/08   |   RespectTheStar   |   60 respect

I think everyone is missing the point here. IF Farve comes back, personally I dont think the Packers would take him back. This would absolutley destroy Aaron Rodgers, the "future" of this franchise. If he comes back, he would have to come back, and then get traded to get out of what's left of his contract. Besides, who would need Farve? Carolina mabey. Dont see him playing in Minnisota. The Dolphins? TB mabey. Dont see it happening. Mabey thats just me.

6/20/08   |   MIKE!   |   41 respect

RobPeyton wrote:

yeah I never specified about what I thought about him not playing the tournament. I don't think hes coming back but the thing is Favre is like the boy who cried wolf. At this point, Being honest with ourselves do we know if he's gonna retire? No we don't he's done this same routine before. I think that's more or less how everyone feels ya know? The guy loves the media but he always stays mysterious about retirement. Who truly knows WHAT he'll do.

Yes, it is true that there is a small chance that he may come back, but highly doubtfuly. About what you said about him doing thie same routine before, when has he announced his retirement at a press conference and cried because he loves the game so much? He has NEVER tried to get involved with the media. If i was a friend of favre, or even just new him a little personally, i could run outside and tell a paper that he called me and told me he was coming back, and the media would eat it all up! Yes, he stays mysterious about retirement BECAUSE he loves the game so much and probably doesnt want to face reality that he will probably never be able to play in the NFL again!

6/20/08   |   RobPeyton

MIKE! wrote:
ok. lets say you are the manager at McDonalds and you have been debating of retiring and giving up your job to a more youthful guy. You come out and have a GREAT year and people don't want you to leave, and then you retire. Well, you also really like Taco Bell. You are going to go to Taco Bell for dinner one night, but you don't feel like it. So, you don't go to Taco Bell. Then all of a sudden, all over there is talk about you coming back just because you didnt eat at Taco Bell!

my point is that just because he may not want to do something DOESNT automatically mean that he is coming back to football. Ever think that just MAYBE he may NOT want to play! He did say that for the first year he wanted to just relax and he wouldnt take part of the annual softball tournament and stuff like that. Just maybe he DOESNT WANT TO TAKE PART IN THE GOLF TOURNAMENT!!! For all of you that feel he is "playing a game with the media" it is BS because THE MEDIA GETS ITSELF INVOLVED IN EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

yeah I never specified about what I thought about him not playing the tournament. I don't think hes coming back but the thing is Favre is like the boy who cried wolf. At this point, Being honest with ourselves do we know if he's gonna retire? No we don't he's done this same routine before. I think that's more or less how everyone feels ya know? The guy loves the media but he always stays mysterious about retirement. Who truly knows WHAT he'll do.

6/20/08   |   MIKE!   |   41 respect

ok. lets say you are the manager at McDonalds and you have been debating of retiring and giving up your job to a more youthful guy. You come out and have a GREAT year and people don't want you to leave, and then you retire. Well, you also really like Taco Bell. You are going to go to Taco Bell for dinner one night, but you don't feel like it. So, you don't go to Taco Bell. Then all of a sudden, all over there is talk about you coming back just because you didnt eat at Taco Bell!

my point is that just because he may not want to do something DOESNT automatically mean that he is coming back to football. Ever think that just MAYBE he may NOT want to play! He did say that for the first year he wanted to just relax and he wouldnt take part of the annual softball tournament and stuff like that. Just maybe he DOESNT WANT TO TAKE PART IN THE GOLF TOURNAMENT!!! For all of you that feel he is "playing a game with the media" it is BS because THE MEDIA GETS ITSELF INVOLVED IN EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

6/20/08   |   MIKE!   |   41 respect

Pat wrote:
Favre has been playing the same tired and pathetic game with the media for years now, debating whether or not he wants to retire. No one wants to hear it anymore, and EVERYONE outside of Wisconsin just wants him to go away.

i live in michigan and i dont want him to go away

6/20/08   |   chad_is_god

Pat wrote:
Favre has been playing the same tired and pathetic game with the media for years now, debating whether or not he wants to retire. No one wants to hear it anymore, and EVERYONE outside of Wisconsin just wants him to go away.
(Edited by chad_is_god)

wow I'm sorry but I honestly think that you couldn't be more wrong here! Just from a football fan's perspective, I enjoy watching Favre play knowing he's a future HOFer.

6/20/08   |   RobPeyton

wrote:
Don't know where you get your info from but Favre never retired not even once did he mention it.  It was the media that kept asking if he was going to retire! 

u are a hundred percent right he never retired. he did however release thoughts of retiring for like the last 5 years. the same game that pat is talking about is him saying hes THINKING of retiring,  getting tons of press coverage for it and promotions and then he stays and says the same crap next year. it 'is getting old Favre. Very old

6/20/08   |   RobPeyton

Pat wrote:
"Favre is a man of his word ... and when he finally made the decision to retire it was his final decision!"

Wait... which time was this? Because I'm pretty sure he's retired like 3 times now...

see what it is he made a decision to retire after he pretended to retire. see THATS not lying it was already thought out.

6/20/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
Don't know where you get your info from but Favre never retired not even once did he mention it.  It was the media that kept asking if he was going to retire! 

Favre has been playing the same tired and pathetic game with the media for years now, debating whether or not he wants to retire. No one wants to hear it anymore, and EVERYONE outside of Wisconsin just wants him to go away.

6/19/08   |   MIKE!   |   41 respect

how the hell is favre "classless" because of this

6/19/08   |   Crackersex   |   91 respect

(Edited by Crackersex)

TWO WORDS:

~ATTENTION WH@RE~

6/19/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
Wow its people like this that keep the rumor mill alive!  Favre is a man of his word, he took pay cuts to get players to sign with the Packers, he has lived and breathed football since he was knee high to a grasshopper and when he finally made the decision to retire it was his final decision!  Not going to a golf outing in Tahoe doesn't mean he's coming back to football.  Did it ever occur to you that he might be busy just spending time with his family whom he hasn't seen much of during the last 17 years due to football and just wants to sit back and watch the grass grow.  If people could just stop talking the whole thing would go away and a new legend somewhere in the land of the NFL can be born!

"Favre is a man of his word ... and when he finally made the decision to retire it was his final decision!"

Wait... which time was this? Because I'm pretty sure he's retired like 3 times now...

6/19/08   |   derms33   |   17645 respect

I don't know how clear it is, but I thought he was playing all along

6/19/08   |   chad_is_god

wow somebody's reaching a bit too far here

6/19/08   |   kantwistaye   |   4214 respect

He's not coming back.  Thats all.

6/18/08   |   RichmondSpider

I hope he does - at least there will be something interesting to follow in football rather than who has been arrested, who is holding out and who is dating who... or is it whom I never know...

6/18/08   |   ThaChad   |   4 respect

If He Comes Back Then Maybe This Whole Thing Is The Madden Curse In Disguise

6/18/08   |   Cartercincyfan

Aaron Rodgers probably curses in his sleep and has nightmares of Favre.(No Brett!Just let me throw one pass!Please!)

6/18/08   |   Adam

He better stay retired, the Madden Cover Jinx could be very painful.

 

Or Aaron Rodgers might just stab him in his throwing arm.