Brett Favre May Replace Emmitt Smith As Football Broadcaster At ESPN
Media

Brett Favre Is Poised To Replace Emmitt Smith At ESPN, And Become Football's Version Of Joe Morgan.

2/24/09 in Media   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Word on the street is that Brett Favre is a possibility to replace the departed Emmitt Smith as an NFL commentator on ESPN. Emmitt will be missed, without a doubt, and the potential arrival of Favre certainly doesn't make it any better.

While Emmitt certainly had his faults and wasn't the best public speaker in the world, at least he was entertaining. Favre, on the other hand, seems like he would be much like the Joe Morgan of NFL commentating.

Morgan, before being canned, was known to make up stories, embellish personal accomplishments, and somehow redirect every conversation into one about how he was the best second baseman ever.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Favre would be nothing more than the football version? His "to retire or not to retire" yearly shenanigans reek of selfishness and an insufferably enormous ego, and his interaction with teammates in the past few years has only served to reinforce that.

The only thing worse than this would be if he were hired by NBC to work with John Madden. There would be silence during the game, because Madden would be too busy showing Brett a good time, if you know what I mean. On second thought, as long as they didn't show them on camera, maybe the silence would be an improvement over Madden's regular nonsensical drivel.

We certainly wish Brett the best of luck in his future endeavors, and I am personally ecstatic at the fact that his yearly game of cat and mouse seems to have come to a permanent end. I'm just hoping that he's better in the booth than he is at his press conferences.


Brett Favre preparing to enter the world of broadcasting [USA Today] via [Shutdown Corner]
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

3/14/09   |   stutzee

I found it disingenuous of the Packers management to postpone retiring Favre's # (per the news today March 14, 2009).   Certainly, he'll never play there again, even if he does come out of retirement one more time.  He brought the franchise back from oblivion.  He's earned his place among the elite's of the game.  Get real.  Give the man his due, NOW.  Favre in the booth can't possilbly be anything near as fun watching as Favre on the gridiron.   As a long time Packer fan, I would have much preferred him going down with a career ending injury trying to punch thru on a 4th and goal on the Dallas 2 yard line.    I cursed the man at the end of the last Giants game, but he was still the best football player I've ever witnessed.

3/14/09   |   stutzee

3/3/09   |   Heyhey1970   |   194 respect

MarkW49ers wrote:
HeyHey!...Why I never!!!...Comparing Morgan to Montana?...You should be ashamed of yourself, Mister!! ROFL!!!
But, I must admit, you are so right. Joe, was not a set analyst extraordinaire...His best work came while behind a center, and not a desk....

Yeah, that should never happen.  My apologies to Joe Montana.  Good stuff, Mark. 

3/3/09   |   MarkW49ers   |   2 respect

Heyhey1970 wrote:
The only thing worse than Favre becoming Joe Morgan is maybe Joe Montana, who just looked at the camera and didn't say anything at all.  No... actually that was better than listening to Morgan, who still isn't shy about ripping all other second basemen in baseball history (when compared to his holyness).  Those others didn't have a lineup with Foster, Bench, Rose, Perez, Griffey, Driessen... etc. either.

HeyHey!...Why I never!!!...Comparing Morgan to Montana?...You should be ashamed of yourself, Mister!! ROFL!!!
But, I must admit, you are so right. Joe, was not a set analyst extraordinaire...His best work came while behind a center, and not a desk....

3/3/09   |   mrturk   |   20 respect

No, he was not the best, but he was a lot of fun to watch - more so than the few QB's I would rate higher.  Also,  Packer fans, his name is FAVRE.   It is pronounced like farve.  Central Wisconsin Packer fans also know how to spell Leinenkugel, which went very well while watching Favre.

3/3/09   |   xo_roybaby09_ox

Superbleeder wrote:
I second this.  He is definetly not the best.  You can't just assume that because he was a good football player he will be a good announcer. 

I third!

2/25/09   |   Superbleeder   |   94 respect

Pat wrote:
1: He's not the best.
2: You're wrong.
3: There is a difference between ability to play the game, and announce a game.
4: He's still not the best.

I second this.  He is definetly not the best.  You can't just assume that because he was a good football player he will be a good announcer. 

2/25/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

lovrekj wrote:
This article is obviously written by someone who hasn't got a clue of what they wasted so many words saying.  And, the childish comment about Madden and Farve, reinforces that.  It is apparent, that they don't know a thing about Brett Farve.  YES... I am a Packer fan.  Have been since the Lombardi days.  If that makes you jealous, too bad for you!  The man loves the game, and was better at it than anyone else in history.  I don't know where you get this "ego problem" from.  It just shows how much you DON'T know about him.  As far as commentators go, I'd rather have someone in the booth, who played the game, to add to the fancy talk of someone who learned football from a book and watching someone else play it.  Why NOT get the best?

1: He's not the best.
2: You're wrong.
3: There is a difference between ability to play the game, and announce a game.
4: He's still not the best.

2/25/09   |   lovrekj   |   1 respect

This article is obviously written by someone who hasn't got a clue of what they wasted so many words saying.  And, the childish comment about Madden and Farve, reinforces that.  It is apparent, that they don't know a thing about Brett Farve.  YES... I am a Packer fan.  Have been since the Lombardi days.  If that makes you jealous, too bad for you!  The man loves the game, and was better at it than anyone else in history.  I don't know where you get this "ego problem" from.  It just shows how much you DON'T know about him.  As far as commentators go, I'd rather have someone in the booth, who played the game, to add to the fancy talk of someone who learned football from a book and watching someone else play it.  Why NOT get the best?

2/24/09   |   Raider_Dave   |   47 respect

Michael_Luchies wrote:
Did you just give yourself a "+ 1000"  Have you also given yourself nicknames and created your own catch phrases?

Do you actually read the articles that are posted, or do you just blindly post comments?

2/24/09   |   Michael_Luchies   |   17 respect

I wonder if Wrangler jeans will have anything to say about this? 

2/24/09   |   Michael_Luchies   |   17 respect

Raider_Dave wrote:
"There would be silence during the game, because Madden would be too busy showing Brett a good time, if you know what I mean."

+ 1,000

I wonder how Deanna would feel about that if it were to happen...

Did you just give yourself a "+ 1000"  Have you also given yourself nicknames and created your own catch phrases?

2/24/09   |   umenyiora

 The end of decent football broadcasts. 

2/24/09   |   gzambo   |   4 respect

(Edited by gzambo)

Sorry, I love Brett but he can't make up his minds.  I can hear it now..."FIRST DOWN......... no it is a 3rd down....WAIT 2ND DOWN... They are punting. must be 4th"

2/24/09   |   Raider_Dave   |   47 respect

chicachericola wrote:
Hmm...Pat, Raider and I were all pq'd for saying ESPN sucks. I wonder who on the ESPN payroll is lurking on this site.

I think John Madden himself came out of the shadows once he heard that someone was ripping on Brett Favre!  I heard that when someone speaks ill of Favre, a similar sign to this appears in the sky to alert Madden.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ygfZomWsrd8/R_4X3ndwRWI/AAAAAAAAADY/4Lj2UQ_ZtR4/s320/Bat-Signal.jpg

2/24/09   |   Heyhey1970   |   194 respect

The only thing worse than Favre becoming Joe Morgan is maybe Joe Montana, who just looked at the camera and didn't say anything at all.  No... actually that was better than listening to Morgan, who still isn't shy about ripping all other second basemen in baseball history (when compared to his holyness).  Those others didn't have a lineup with Foster, Bench, Rose, Perez, Griffey, Driessen... etc. either.

2/24/09   |   chicachericola   |   2 respect

Hmm...Pat, Raider and I were all pq'd for saying ESPN sucks. I wonder who on the ESPN payroll is lurking on this site.

2/24/09   |   das3cr   |   288 respect

Cool, fresh blood.

2/24/09   |   xo_roybaby09_ox

UGH!!!!

2/24/09   |   Chachi_Azzhola   |   2 respect

Guaranteed, he's not Joe Morgan:  Think Terry Bradshaw but without as much humor and personality but he will have Dan Marino's ego to go along with most of Marino's records too...

2/24/09   |   shox13191

brett, you have done it all then attempted to come back and do it again. just ride off into the sunset and become a barry sanders who we won't hear about until he dies..

2/24/09   |   Raider_Dave   |   47 respect

dumpsterdave6 wrote:

It's not fair to compare anyone to Joe Morgan, a truly classless windbag.

I don't think there are many out there that encompass the term "windbag" more perfectly than him.

2/24/09   |   SweatSkywalker

Raider_Dave wrote:
"There would be silence during the game, because Madden would be too busy showing Brett a good time, if you know what I mean."

+ 1,000

I wonder how Deanna would feel about that if it were to happen...
(Edited by SweatSkywalker)

that would be my chance with Deanna!  MUHAHAHAHAHAHA-HAAAAAAA!!

2/24/09   |   coolkraft2003   |   6 respect

is anyone else sick of these wannabe announcers who are former greedy players?

2/24/09   |   mrturk   |   20 respect

Yes, he could be like Joe Morgan, but he also could be an entertaining fellow.  I say give him a chance, then express your opinion from a point of knowledge.  No, I am not from Wisconsin.  I'm from Detroit where we hope to get an NFL team this year.

2/24/09   |   dumpsterdave6   |   1 respect

It's not fair to compare anyone to Joe Morgan, a truly classless windbag.

2/24/09   |   radiowave000   |   145 respect

Who knew,  as PC as ESPN is, that they would allow spitoons in the studios????

2/24/09   |   R3DS8XFaN

he should just go fishing.....

2/24/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Raider_Dave wrote:
I had it as list item #786 for why ESPN blows...maybe we should compare lists because I didn't know it was physically possible to be able to do both so well.

It defies the laws of physics, but it IS somehow possible to suck and blow at the same time.

2/24/09   |   pobodys_nerfect

I was a huge Farve fan before the whole I'm staying, nah I'm out B.S. I still believe he's one of the greatest football players ever, and if you don't agree with that, whatever. All I know is he can't be a bigger fool when it comes to words than The Emmitt Zone.

2/24/09   |   Raider_Dave   |   47 respect

chicachericola wrote:
Reason #444 why ESPN sucks.

I had it as list item #786 for why ESPN blows...maybe we should compare lists because I didn't know it was physically possible to be able to do both so well.

2/24/09   |   chicachericola   |   2 respect

Reason #444 why ESPN sucks.

2/24/09   |   Raider_Dave   |   47 respect

EMSRealty wrote:
WHY WHY WHY!!!  I don't understand - why can't you just go away?!!!!  This guy did the huge retirement ceremony, then he came back!  Now he announces he is going to retire and now he comes back!!!  Go Away already - there were only a few people in Green Bay who liked you when  you played for to long, no one esle likes or repsects you so GO AWAY!!!!! 

So I take it you aren't a fan of Mr. Favre?

2/24/09   |   MarkW49ers   |   2 respect

"Morgan, before being canned, was known to make up stories, embellish personal accomplishments, and somehow redirect every conversation into one about how he was the best second baseman ever."

You forgot his (Morgan's) droning on and on over the play-by-play announcer...By the time Morgan would shut-up the game was over and the fans had left the stadium.

"I'm just hoping that he's better in the booth than he is at his press conferences."

...And I sir, hope you are right!

2/24/09   |   EMSRealty   |   22 respect

WHY WHY WHY!!!  I don't understand - why can't you just go away?!!!!  This guy did the huge retirement ceremony, then he came back!  Now he announces he is going to retire and now he comes back!!!  Go Away already - there were only a few people in Green Bay who liked you when  you played for to long, no one esle likes or repsects you so GO AWAY!!!!! 

2/24/09   |   Raider_Dave   |   47 respect

Superbleeder wrote:
Haven't we seen Favre cry enough on tv?   Btw it looks like he's flipping someone off in that picture.

Yeah, he is.  Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy.

2/24/09   |   Raider_Dave   |   47 respect

"There would be silence during the game, because Madden would be too busy showing Brett a good time, if you know what I mean."

+ 1,000

I wonder how Deanna would feel about that if it were to happen...

2/24/09   |   Superbleeder   |   94 respect

(Edited by Superbleeder)

Haven't we seen Favre cry enough on tv?   Btw it looks like he's flipping someone off in that picture.