NFL

Brett Favre Played Like a Warrior, Not Like a Champion

1/25/10 in NFL   |   arihoring1   |   41 respect

Here is the scenario: Your team is tied at 28 with less than 15 seconds left in the NFC Championship on your opponent's 38-yard line and you’re the quarterback.
 
You roll out to the right and you have three options. Option A, you run for 10-15 open yards and put your field goal kicker up in a much better situation. Option B, you buy time for an open receiver. Option C, you throw it across the middle, the most frowned upon throw a quarterback can make.
 
You and me, like most quarterbacks, would have taken option A. A few idiots would have taken option B. However, only Brett Favre would have taken option C.
 
Even with all the mistakes, the fumbles, the bad play calls, the bad protection, the penalties, and everything else, the Vikings still were in position to win the game at the end.
 
That's why Favre's second interception was the worst mistake of all.
 
If Favre would have refrained from letting out his old gunslinger mentality we all knew could come out at any time, he could have thought clearly and ran the ball into the open space, giving his field goal kicker a much easier field goal attempt. 
 
I honestly feel bad criticizing Brett Favre after the game on Sunday, because he had one of the gutsiest performances I have ever seen. Favre, at 40-years old, took more hard hits than almost any other normal quarterback could have taken.
 
He was beaten up repeatedly, but he kept getting up and didn't even lose a beat. Once a defender rolled on Favre's ankle, I actually thought Favre's day could be done. However, one again, the greatest warrior in NFL history showed us he was a tougher breed than everyone else.
 
I have never been a passionate Brett Favre fan. I generally despise his off the field antics, but I have always admired him for his toughness. Even so, I haven't been that upset over a game in a long time. Nothing can describe my feelings better than simply saying Favre deserved the victory.
 
The the loss should be blamed on the Vikings coaching staff.
 
First off, do they have a problem with Chester Taylor? Adrian Peterson should have been benched after hist first two fumbles, and Harvin, who fumbled as well, should never have been put in the game at running back.
 
If I were Brad Childress seeing my team collapse before my eyes because of fumbles, I would have immediately inserted the sure-handed Taylor for the rest of the game.
 
Taylor is a very good running back, and Harvin and Peterson, especially of late, haven't been good enough to be worth keeping in the game. Mistakes in football do happen. Reggie Bush's fumble, and Drew Brees' botched exchange with the center, were two big mistakes on the Saints' side. However, some of the Vikings' mistakes could have been prevented had Childress stepped up and kept Taylor in the game.
 
Secondly, why did the Vikings seem to settle for a 50-plus yard field goal at the end of the game. Once they got into 50-yard field goal range, they ran the ball on the first two downs, very predictably, for no gain. If we've learned anything this playoffs it's settling for a long field goal can be costly.
 
Following this, the Vikings then switched up personnel, and cost themselves five yards on a penalty for 12 men in the huddle, making the possible attempted field goal 56 yards. The costly interception Favre would throw on the next play very likely would not have happened if Favre knew his kicker was in reasonable field goal range.
 
The Saints were not the better team on Sunday. The Vikings had a total of 457 total net yards compared to the Saints 257 yards. The Saints had a 25 percent efficiency rating on third down and could not move the ball in the second half. The saints were given so many opportunities to punish the Vikings for their mistakes, but repeatedly failed to do so in the second half. 
 
Ultimately, despite this, the Saints are going on to the Super Bowl, and Favre and the Vikings are not. Adrian Peterson has lost the glamour he has had the last couple of seasons, and needs to work hard this offseason to correct his fumbling problems and regain his mojo. If he doesn't, the running back who seemed destined to be one of the greatest ever likely won't be.
 
The worst part of the Vikings loss is now we have to hear whether or not Favre is going to be back for a another season for who knows how long. If I were Favre, despite having a great team around me, I might just actually retire.
 
As a tough as Favre is, I can't see him putting a another season with that much effort at the age of 41.
 
Before the season, I said Favre's legacy had been severely damaged because of his off-the-field antics, and although he had no hope for saving it completely with Packers fans because of his betrayal, it could be saved with most of America with a Super Bowl win. I do believe there are still a lot of anti-Favre sentiments around the country.
 
However, despite not winning the Super Bowl, if Favre does not make this offseason all about him again, Favre's legacy will be somewhat saved.
 
Favre will never be the golden boy, he was once perceived to be by the media. However, the truth is Favre never needed to be that guy. Favre's legacy he leaves is that there has never been a tougher player in NFL history than Brett Favre, and he proved that this season.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

1/30/10   |   Lizzo   |   324 respect

wrote:
The Saints first NFC title will be remembered as cheap and poorly officiated. If Favre calls it quits this season, it will simply be remembered as Favre's last game and New Orleans' lucky bounce to a crushing defeat in the superbowl.

It will be remembered that way by sour grapes fans who pinned their hopes on a prima dona. It will be remembered well by Saints fans, as well as other fans who love to see well contested games. And since the Super Bowl has yet to be played, you are a little premature with the crushing comment.  Let's see how it plays out. Go Saints! (I am still a Chiefs fan)

1/28/10   |   mcfarlandgregory   |   3 respect

RyanPatchett wrote:
Yep.  You Viqueens get so far and then....CHOKE!!!  When Favre kept getting hit, he should've just stayed on the bench and let Jackson take over....he wouldn't have thrown an INT.  Childress probably wanted to, but you have to remember that Favre runs the team, he might as well run the state.  Also, good luck with the retire-unretire decision.  He will be going back and forth the whole offseason.  You guys don't have to worry about the playoffs next year because the Pack is going to win the division and someone else will get the wild cards.
GO PACK GO!!!!!!
 

Stop hating man!!!! We swept yall and will do it again next season. The fudgePackers are a wash without Favre and you're mad lol

1/27/10   |   mnstar1959   |   376 respect

wrote:
Ummm call it what you want but in 1969 the Vikings LOST to the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl. You see back then- they didn't call it the NFC Championship- it was called the NFL Championship game and Kansas City played in the AFL Championship game...Then the both met in the Super Bowl which started in 1967. They changed the name of the NFL Championship to the NFC Championship the following year- so TECHNICALLY yes- you are right- but anybody that knows anything about NFL History knows that it was a matter of symantics- it wasn't a TRUE NFL CHAMPIONSHIP at all, those stopped in 1966.....

Well thanks for the agreement. Conferences came into existence due to the merger of the NFL and AFL. The first Super Bowl between conference Champs was No. 5 between the Colts and your Cowboys with the Colts winning 16-13 on Jim O'brien's late field goal. The previous 3 Super Bowls were between the AFL Champ and the NFL Champ where the AFL won twice. The First "Super Bowl" was actually called the NFL-AFL Championship Game, won by the Packers. I call it what it was; I'm not a revisionist.

1/27/10   |   mnstar1959   |   376 respect

wrote:
I find it funny that some Vikings fans are saying that the Saints didn't "earn respect" merely for winning a Championship Game and going to the Super Bowl ( because they accomplished nothing yet)... But isn't it TRUE then, that the Vikings deserve NONE either considering that their Super Bowl record is 0-4 and they haven't accomplished anything in their "History"either? You guys are also making fun of the Saints because they "waited 44 years to get to the Super Bowl"- yet the Vikings havent been there since the 1977/1978 season- making them "waiting for 32 years"- LOL     HYPOCRITES....... just a thought!

Yet they have been there unlike the Saints......Actually the Vikings were NFL Champs after the 1969 season. What have they accomplished.......approx 30 playoff appearances vs. 4 for Saints, 9 Conference title games vs. 1 to the Saints, 4 SuperBowl appearance vs. 1 for the Saints. We can't all be the Dallas Cowboys can we.

Once again you missed my point......In last weeks game the Saints didn't win it the Vikings lost it........They outgained NO by almost 2:1 margin, they shut down Mr. Bush and the vaunted NO offense. They lost due to their inability to hang on to the ball and poor coaching from Childress and poor play selection in the final minute. They had a -5 TO rating and still had a chance to win in regulation. The thing that bothers me the most is because the Saints finally made it, their supporters feel that somehow they are own some sort of anointment as the Greatest ever; I'm just trying to point out they are not there yet. Enjoy the time, be patient for the praise

1/26/10   |   Lizzo   |   324 respect

(Edited by Lizzo)

Well, mnstar, the term was there in black and white. And there was no begging for respect from either Sarah or I, especially from you. I am also well aware of the media frenzy over Brett continuing until next season. If you recall, that was the whole point of the first post! His indecision and ability to choke on, I mean IN the big ones shouldn't dominate the whole preseason! I'm not just talking about slighting the teams going to Super Bowl. I am taliking about future NFL players reporting for the Combine, and moves by teams trying to improve, and just generally getting back to football and away from Favre. And you keep missing the point that I haven't waited 44 years for anything. I'm a Chiefs fan. We won a Super Bowl once, by the way. I can still show respect  for another team when it's deserved. 

1/26/10   |   Lizzo   |   324 respect

wrote:
I find it funny that some Vikings fans are saying that the Saints didn't "earn respect" merely for winning a Championship Game and going to the Super Bowl ( because they accomplished nothing yet)... But isn't it TRUE then, that the Vikings deserve NONE either considering that their Super Bowl record is 0-4 and they haven't accomplished anything in their "History"either? You guys are also making fun of the Saints because they "waited 44 years to get to the Super Bowl"- yet the Vikings havent been there since the 1977/1978 season- making them "waiting for 32 years"- LOL     HYPOCRITES....... just a thought!

Ahhh, Vindog, you are a man after my own heart! (Just a figure of speech, not trying to tick off a wife or girlfriend!)

1/26/10   |   mnstar1959   |   376 respect

Lizzo wrote:
First of all, it's SNARKY, not SHARKY. Second, I find it short sighted to say that only a Super Bowl win is deserving of respect. Third, it was your response to me that referenced crying about refs. Finally, it is a public forum, so I commented on your response to Sarah because is was so SNARKY! I don't expect you or anybody to bow down at the alter of anything (though you must have some Favre shrine built somewhere). Sarah in no way insisuated that they be annointed team of the century.  She, like I, would just like to see them get a little of the attention they rightfully deserve for building a team to go to Super Bowl after so many disappointing seasons.  It's mostly about us being sick of Brett the Media Whore.  And thanks for your permission to enjoy it. Rest assured that we will.

First: Sorry; not familar with your terms Secondly: If you have to ask for respect, you don't deserve it. Respect is earned; not begged for Third: I referenced HER comment; the first one to bring up the crying part and begging for respect. You come to her rescue with the "Snarky" comments and now feel that calling Bret Favre names is the way to go. Guess what, pretty Lady, get use to it because it will be going on until the start of the next reg. season. It is a shame you can't be patient for ALL your accolades that are coming; you waited 44 yrs. what's another couple of days. Shoot ESPN has already started talking how great and wonderful the Saints are. All praise the Saints....

1/26/10   |   Lizzo   |   324 respect

mnstar1959 wrote:

Sharky?....Don't see it.........If you are referring to my statement regarding the fact the Saints hadn't done anything yet......prove me wrong, other then winning Sun they have no other championship to speak of, correct?Is the truth being Sharky? You know it would have been easier to accept had you beaten us on the field. We out gained you almost two to one. You beat us in the only important stat, the final score.

If you actually take a look at my first post in this thread you will note that it was a response to sarah_wlbcdb and HER whining as to why the Saints don't get more respect in the media. She insinuates that for some reason the Saints deserve to be anointed as the "Team of the Century"( my words,not hers).Sorry, I will not bow to the "Altar of the NO Saints" because they won 1 Conference championship in 44 yrs. Enjoy it for as long as you can.
Also, you brought up that people were complaining about refs in response to sarah_wlbcdb; sorry if you meant to keep that between you and her but it ended up in this PUBLIC realm.

Win the Super Bowl and you will get all kinds of respect. Set NFL records you get all kinds of respect. You don't get for just being there.

First of all, it's SNARKY, not SHARKY. Second, I find it short sighted to say that only a Super Bowl win is deserving of respect. Third, it was your response to me that referenced crying about refs. Finally, it is a public forum, so I commented on your response to Sarah because is was so SNARKY! I don't expect you or anybody to bow down at the alter of anything (though you must have some Favre shrine built somewhere). Sarah in no way insisuated that they be annointed team of the century.  She, like I, would just like to see them get a little of the attention they rightfully deserve for building a team to go to Super Bowl after so many disappointing seasons.  It's mostly about us being sick of Brett the Media Whore.  And thanks for your permission to enjoy it. Rest assured that we will.

1/26/10   |   mnstar1959   |   376 respect

Lizzo wrote:
Uh...my post to you said nothing about refs. The Saints going to the Super Bowl should be way bigger than wether or not Favre will retire again. Just cuz you are disappionted doesn't mean you need to be so snarky with us.

Sharky?....Don't see it.........If you are referring to my statement regarding the fact the Saints hadn't done anything yet......prove me wrong, other then winning Sun they have no other championship to speak of, correct?Is the truth being Sharky? You know it would have been easier to accept had you beaten us on the field. We out gained you almost two to one. You beat us in the only important stat, the final score.

If you actually take a look at my first post in this thread you will note that it was a response to sarah_wlbcdb and HER whining as to why the Saints don't get more respect in the media. She insinuates that for some reason the Saints deserve to be anointed as the "Team of the Century"( my words,not hers).Sorry, I will not bow to the "Altar of the NO Saints" because they won 1 Conference championship in 44 yrs. Enjoy it for as long as you can.
Also, you brought up that people were complaining about refs in response to sarah_wlbcdb; sorry if you meant to keep that between you and her but it ended up in this PUBLIC realm.

Win the Super Bowl and you will get all kinds of respect. Set NFL records you get all kinds of respect. You don't get for just being there.

1/26/10   |   Lizzo   |   324 respect

mnstar1959 wrote:
No Lizzo, not really bitter, Highly disappointed about the outcome, yes. My original post was to point out that yes the media will be talking about Favre until the next season starts. A 40 yr old QB, bringing a second team to the cusp of a Super Bowl is news. The Saints have finally made it to the Super Bowl after 43 , 44 yrs, great for them but it doesn't become a bigger story unless they win it. Right now it is a nice story and congrats to them. I don't think I cried about refs calls; I may have cried about fumbles.

Uh...my post to you said nothing about refs. The Saints going to the Super Bowl should be way bigger than wether or not Favre will retire again. Just cuz you are disappionted doesn't mean you need to be so snarky with us.

1/26/10   |   mnstar1959   |   376 respect

Lizzo wrote:
Oooooooooooooooo..................a little bitter are we, mnstar 1959? Your perception of whining is distorted. Reread your own post. There's some sour grapes whining there. Brees is doing something, or haven't you been paying attention? He is participating with a teams that gets teamwork. Beating a "legendary"  QB was just icing on the cake of a great season for the Saints. No one here ever denied that the opponent was good. Of course they were. Post season 2 years in a row (last year without $15 million Favre). That's the whole point! They should be talking about the Saints finally getting their due, and I bet we still hear more about Favre the next 2 weeks than we do the Saints. They will be third after the Colts as far as media coverage goes. But I'd love to be on Bourbon St getting some beads.

No Lizzo, not really bitter, Highly disappointed about the outcome, yes. My original post was to point out that yes the media will be talking about Favre until the next season starts. A 40 yr old QB, bringing a second team to the cusp of a Super Bowl is news. The Saints have finally made it to the Super Bowl after 43 , 44 yrs, great for them but it doesn't become a bigger story unless they win it. Right now it is a nice story and congrats to them. I don't think I cried about refs calls; I may have cried about fumbles.

1/26/10   |   mnstar1959   |   376 respect

wrote:
To ALL Vikings Fans/ Brett Favre Delusionists:  This is what the addition of Brett Favre and $15 Million bought your team this season (as compared to last season without him and THE MONEY)-   2 more Regular Season Victories and 1 Playoff Win            Now, logically, would you say that the $15 Million (and all the Favre Drama) was worth it?   That works out to $5 Million for each "additional victory" that Favre helped the Vikings achieve from last seasons totals. And the outcome was the same: A Playoff loss and NO Super Bowl.....

Vindog, her is something else to consider; In the 2008 season Minn played a 3rd place schedule, in 2009 they played a 1st place schedule. Even you have to admit that the '09 schedule was tougher. Do I think the 12 million was a good deal......on the surface, no it wasn't but not everything is judged by wins and losses ( alot is however). Merchadising sales went up, talk of a new, and needed stadium got a big push, teaching T-Jack and Sage how to win (still 13-5 for the season), pointing out some things to the young WR corp. Do I hope he comes back next year, yes but I will not sit around waiting on a last second decision.
Who did they beat this year in the playoffs again.........Was the new Jerry Dome worth it?

1/26/10   |   tbone2269   |   5 respect

RyanPatchett wrote:
Yep.  You Viqueens get so far and then....CHOKE!!!  When Favre kept getting hit, he should've just stayed on the bench and let Jackson take over....he wouldn't have thrown an INT.  Childress probably wanted to, but you have to remember that Favre runs the team, he might as well run the state.  Also, good luck with the retire-unretire decision.  He will be going back and forth the whole offseason.  You guys don't have to worry about the playoffs next year because the Pack is going to win the division and someone else will get the wild cards.
GO PACK GO!!!!!!
 

You a greenbay fan can say that while your team watched at HOME!!! Greenbay fans need to get over it.

1/25/10   |   ckillorin   |   219 respect

WhoDat12 wrote:
No i don't hate him as a player. Again, it's the attention whorism/douchebaggery that he engages in that sickens me. But I only put part of the blame on Favre. The majority of the blame goes on the media for enabling his attention whorism (which essentially makes them pimps). It is very much possible to respect or even like a player but dislike or hate their personality traits. That's all I'm saying.

i'm a mn fan..i think brett's ALWAYS been a "cry-babt"...even in G-Bay......but sometimes he does CONNECT????

1/25/10   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

mnstar1959 wrote:
but you don't hate, right...?

No i don't hate him as a player. Again, it's the attention whorism/douchebaggery that he engages in that sickens me. But I only put part of the blame on Favre. The majority of the blame goes on the media for enabling his attention whorism (which essentially makes them pimps). It is very much possible to respect or even like a player but dislike or hate their personality traits. That's all I'm saying.

1/25/10   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

mnstar1959 wrote:
but you don't hate, right...?

No i don't hate him as a player. Again, it's the attention whorism/douchebaggery that he engages in that sickens me. But I only put part of the blame on Favre. The majority of the blame goes on the media for enabling his attention whorism (which essentially makes them pimps). It is very much possible to respect or even like a player but dislike or hate their personality traits. That's all I'm saying.

1/25/10   |   jxnsteelersfan   |   75 respect

Lizzo wrote:
Hey, I call 'em as I see 'em. You are very welcome. And people complaining about the bad ref calls, well they happen in every game. There is holding on every play. It's the nature of the beast. The late hit on Sanchez by tho Colts that went uncalled was a classic blown call. Nobody's crying about the Jets getting robbed, because nobody expected them to win. I would like to see the Saints tighten up their game a little before the Bowl, but I am looking forward to a great game. Wish I'd been on Bourbon Street when they won Sunday!

I would have loved to be in the mix on Bourbon Street too! They showed a picture of bourbon street before the end of the game and it was like a ghost town...fast forward to seconds after the winning field goal and it was pandemonium! I agree w/your view on complaints about the refs.  I feel you will NEVER agree w/every call or non-call the refs make.  As you said, its the nature of the beast.

1/25/10   |   jxnsteelersfan   |   75 respect

zballa07 wrote:
i thought favre played great up until the last play, but my only curiosity is to peterson if you fumble four times in a game when do you decide its the right time to cover the ball i mean serioulsy i saw him one arm it every play, thats stupidity

Peterson should have figured that out long before Sunday's game.  He should take a page from Tiki Barber's notebook...Tiki acknowledged his problem with fumbling and in the offseason worked on how to better protect the ball.  I also feel Coach Childress should have acknowleged Peterson's fumbles were more hurt than good and replaced him w/Chester Taylor.

1/25/10   |   Lizzo   |   324 respect

(Edited by Lizzo)

Oooooooooooooooo..................a little bitter are we, mnstar 1959? Your perception of whining is distorted. Reread your own post. There's some sour grapes whining there. Brees is doing something, or haven't you been paying attention? He is participating with a teams that gets teamwork. Beating a "legendary"  QB was just icing on the cake of a great season for the Saints. No one here ever denied that the opponent was good. Of course they were. Post season 2 years in a row (last year without $15 million Favre). That's the whole point! They should be talking about the Saints finally getting their due, and I bet we still hear more about Favre the next 2 weeks than we do the Saints. They will be third after the Colts as far as media coverage goes. But I'd love to be on Bourbon St getting some beads.

1/25/10   |   CalBoomer   |   43 respect

Tough. And dumb. That's Brett Favre.

1/25/10   |   jxnsteelersfan   |   75 respect

saintsfan1216 wrote:
thank you so much, lizzo!! as a saints fan, i am tired of hearing people whine and complain about how favre got hit, and favre took a beating, and favre deserved to win, and favre this, and favre that. i want to hear more people saying, "hey, look at that. the new orleans saints are going to the super bowl. well, after they've been through, and after how far they've come this season, i think they've finally earned it. good for them." i am not saying everyone should throw a party for the saints; i just think people just start to recognize the saints and maybe give them a little respect.

I agree and have been partying for the Saints.  Another party is planned for Super Bowl night as my friends and I cheer for a Saints victory.  I'm happy for the residents of New Orleans and the state of Louisiana.  They have embraced the team as a symbol of hope and perseverance and vice versa...GO SAINTS!

1/25/10   |   Indysweety_Lola   |   105 respect

mnstar1959 wrote:
Quit your whining, you won! Favre was a very big story line to this past game, you will be hearing for the next two weeks how great the Saints and Colts are. If and when Drew Brees does SOMETHING he will be lauded until next year's post season. Does it occur to you that by beating a legendary QB, it gives your team a little more credibility?No, because that would be admitting your opponent was good. Just go out to Bourbon street and get some more beads and be happy

Refs always give it away and they did this time as well. Still, I think VIkes should've ran it, I'm heart broken for em. Congrats to ur Saints Sarah. See you in the Superbowl!

1/25/10   |   WISAC1   |   6711 respect

vikings fans need to think back a few years. whenever the pack and favre came to the metrodump they and the players were confident that brett was good for a few interceptions that would lead to a vikings win. what made you think this game would be different? point to ponder: his last 8 playoff games came with 22 picks.

1/25/10   |   saintsfan1216   |   3 respect

mnstar1959 wrote:
Quit your whining, you won! Favre was a very big story line to this past game, you will be hearing for the next two weeks how great the Saints and Colts are. If and when Drew Brees does SOMETHING he will be lauded until next year's post season. Does it occur to you that by beating a legendary QB, it gives your team a little more credibility?No, because that would be admitting your opponent was good. Just go out to Bourbon street and get some more beads and be happy

i know brett favre is a legendary QB. i got that. and your vikings were a tough opponent. i don't need to "admit" it, as you say. i already know it. your guys played really well, and we knew it would be a really close game. so, i guess all that's left to say is, thanks for an absolutely incredible game. everyone was on the edge of their seats, no matter who they were rooting for. all in all, we couldn't have asked for a better challenge from a team led by the famous brett favre. it was crazy, emotional, and unforgettable. it was just the kind of game that a championship game is supposed to be.

1/25/10   |   RyanPatchett   |   36 respect

RyanPatchett wrote:
Yep.  You Viqueens get so far and then....CHOKE!!!  When Favre kept getting hit, he should've just stayed on the bench and let Jackson take over....he wouldn't have thrown an INT.  Childress probably wanted to, but you have to remember that Favre runs the team, he might as well run the state.  Also, good luck with the retire-unretire decision.  He will be going back and forth the whole offseason.  You guys don't have to worry about the playoffs next year because the Pack is going to win the division and someone else will get the wild cards.
GO PACK GO!!!!!!
 

Thats ok that we didn't make it in the playoffs because i'm pretty sure that you didn't make it very far in the past years. There's a reason that the viqueens are 0-4 in Super Bowls....you guys have never really had a quarterback. And I'm pretty sure that GB is 3-1 in Super Bowl history. I don't care if you have made 3 yrs in a row, you still can't get very far w/o a qb. You can't always rely on that fumbling running back of yours-AP.

1/25/10   |   ipunki   |   91 respect

wrote:
To ALL Vikings Fans/ Brett Favre Delusionists:  This is what the addition of Brett Favre and $15 Million bought your team this season (as compared to last season without him and THE MONEY)-   2 more Regular Season Victories and 1 Playoff Win            Now, logically, would you say that the $15 Million (and all the Favre Drama) was worth it?   That works out to $5 Million for each "additional victory" that Favre helped the Vikings achieve from last seasons totals. And the outcome was the same: A Playoff loss and NO Super Bowl.....

Add up all the merchandise sales and Favre Vikings jersey's sold, and I guarantee that at least doubles the $15million spent on Favre! Not to mention, Favre was a third-string QB on a horrible Green Bay team, who got his shot when the #1 & #2 QB's got hurt, and now he has set pretty much every QB record there is. The man is a machine, and I sure hope he comes back for another shot next year. Not to take anything from the Saints, they got the win. But they were lucky as hell to have picked up that win... Bad ref's and bad coaching lost the game for Minnesota, not the Favre INT. If Favre retires, 10 years from now he will still be storied as one of, if not the best QB to grace the game. I'm sure many will disagree, but the numbers speak for themselves, especially considering the lack of WR's he has had around him for most of his career. Montana had Rice. Aiken had Irvin and a few others. Who the hell did Favre have in Green Bay when he won his wring?  I'm a long time Vikings fan, and a long time Favre hater, but the man has earned my respect! 

1/25/10   |   mnstar1959   |   376 respect

saintsfan1216 wrote:
thank you so much, lizzo!! as a saints fan, i am tired of hearing people whine and complain about how favre got hit, and favre took a beating, and favre deserved to win, and favre this, and favre that. i want to hear more people saying, "hey, look at that. the new orleans saints are going to the super bowl. well, after they've been through, and after how far they've come this season, i think they've finally earned it. good for them." i am not saying everyone should throw a party for the saints; i just think people just start to recognize the saints and maybe give them a little respect.

Quit your whining, you won! Favre was a very big story line to this past game, you will be hearing for the next two weeks how great the Saints and Colts are. If and when Drew Brees does SOMETHING he will be lauded until next year's post season. Does it occur to you that by beating a legendary QB, it gives your team a little more credibility?No, because that would be admitting your opponent was good. Just go out to Bourbon street and get some more beads and be happy

1/25/10   |   mnstar1959   |   376 respect

gaaralink7 wrote:
Vikingas Disserve This Title... More Than The Saints, THey Disserve It Too, They Earned There Way Here, Its Just:
Worst Pass Interferince Call EVER... Rly Bad Missed Incomplete Call, And VERY Dirty Hits, Not To Mention, I Saw Several Exsesive Celebrations/Tauntings That SHOULDV Been Calld, NFL Wanted Saints Vs. Colts. Just Like They Wanted Titans Last Year But The Raves Had The Strength To Say F(_)ck The Refs And Win... (I'm A Steelers Fan So I Really Dont Care Its Just Bad Calls PISS MEE OFFF!!!! ) LOL! XD

Calm down dude!........more in about 7 months......

1/25/10   |   mnstar1959   |   376 respect

RyanPatchett wrote:
Yep.  You Viqueens get so far and then....CHOKE!!!  When Favre kept getting hit, he should've just stayed on the bench and let Jackson take over....he wouldn't have thrown an INT.  Childress probably wanted to, but you have to remember that Favre runs the team, he might as well run the state.  Also, good luck with the retire-unretire decision.  He will be going back and forth the whole offseason.  You guys don't have to worry about the playoffs next year because the Pack is going to win the division and someone else will get the wild cards.
GO PACK GO!!!!!!
 

"You guys don't have to worry about the playoffs next year because the Pack is going to win the division and someone else will get the wild cards"

Didn't you say the exact same thing last year after the Packers got elim......sorry you didn't make playoffs last year. 3 in a row Div. crowns baby.....

1/25/10   |   mnstar1959   |   376 respect

WhoDat12 wrote:

The offseason will definitely be about him. Everything is all about Favre right now. Even after the Saints won, making their first Super Bowl ever, all the announcers and ANALysts could talk about was how great Favre was. Favre is an attention whore, but the media feeds his addiction. *rant finished*

But honestly, I was impressed by his toughness. I've never had a hatred of Favre the player, just the repeated attention whorism and douchebaggery that he's displayed the last few years. But I do think it's time for him to retire, but that's just my opinion

but you don't hate, right...?

1/25/10   |   Lizzo   |   324 respect

saintsfan1216 wrote:
thank you so much, lizzo!! as a saints fan, i am tired of hearing people whine and complain about how favre got hit, and favre took a beating, and favre deserved to win, and favre this, and favre that. i want to hear more people saying, "hey, look at that. the new orleans saints are going to the super bowl. well, after they've been through, and after how far they've come this season, i think they've finally earned it. good for them." i am not saying everyone should throw a party for the saints; i just think people just start to recognize the saints and maybe give them a little respect.

Hey, I call 'em as I see 'em. You are very welcome. And people complaining about the bad ref calls, well they happen in every game. There is holding on every play. It's the nature of the beast. The late hit on Sanchez by tho Colts that went uncalled was a classic blown call. Nobody's crying about the Jets getting robbed, because nobody expected them to win. I would like to see the Saints tighten up their game a little before the Bowl, but I am looking forward to a great game. Wish I'd been on Bourbon Street when they won Sunday!

1/25/10   |   adrisoto86   |   117 respect

i agree with WhoDat12. i haven't heard the media say one thing about the Saints making the SuperBowl. they keep talking about how courageous Favre was and how strong and tough he is. well being all those things are great but unfortunately being smart is the only thing that gets you a "W" and Favre is not smart.

1/25/10   |   elevenbravo138again   |   1163 respect

Lizzo wrote:
I'm with you. Could we please hear about the Saints and how hard they have worked to get where they are? Loved the coach talking about how not so long ago the Superdome was wet with holes in the roof. The Saints have been great for the city of New Orleans. Lets talk about two dome teams meeting for the championship in an outdoor venue. Let's talk about anything but the QB-who-shall-never-retire!!!!! Did I mention I'm a Chiefs fan? I still want to hear about the Saints.

Well said, I am with you 100%. 

1/25/10   |   zballa07   |   44 respect

i thought favre played great up until the last play, but my only curiosity is to peterson if you fumble four times in a game when do you decide its the right time to cover the ball i mean serioulsy i saw him one arm it every play, thats stupidity

1/25/10   |   saintsfan1216   |   3 respect

Lizzo wrote:
I'm with you. Could we please hear about the Saints and how hard they have worked to get where they are? Loved the coach talking about how not so long ago the Superdome was wet with holes in the roof. The Saints have been great for the city of New Orleans. Lets talk about two dome teams meeting for the championship in an outdoor venue. Let's talk about anything but the QB-who-shall-never-retire!!!!! Did I mention I'm a Chiefs fan? I still want to hear about the Saints.

thank you so much, lizzo!! as a saints fan, i am tired of hearing people whine and complain about how favre got hit, and favre took a beating, and favre deserved to win, and favre this, and favre that. i want to hear more people saying, "hey, look at that. the new orleans saints are going to the super bowl. well, after they've been through, and after how far they've come this season, i think they've finally earned it. good for them." i am not saying everyone should throw a party for the saints; i just think people just start to recognize the saints and maybe give them a little respect.

1/25/10   |   ironranger   |   87 respect

gaaralink7 wrote:
Vikingas Disserve This Title... More Than The Saints, THey Disserve It Too, They Earned There Way Here, Its Just:
Worst Pass Interferince Call EVER... Rly Bad Missed Incomplete Call, And VERY Dirty Hits, Not To Mention, I Saw Several Exsesive Celebrations/Tauntings That SHOULDV Been Calld, NFL Wanted Saints Vs. Colts. Just Like They Wanted Titans Last Year But The Raves Had The Strength To Say F(_)ck The Refs And Win... (I'm A Steelers Fan So I Really Dont Care Its Just Bad Calls PISS MEE OFFF!!!! ) LOL! XD

thanks for pointing out the refs control He game but how ever favre is favre he is prone to force the win  i believe the play off are some what dictated by the owners poker tournament in the off season in yes v e g a s

1/25/10   |   gaaralink7   |   57 respect

Vikingas Disserve This Title... More Than The Saints, THey Disserve It Too, They Earned There Way Here, Its Just:
Worst Pass Interferince Call EVER... Rly Bad Missed Incomplete Call, And VERY Dirty Hits, Not To Mention, I Saw Several Exsesive Celebrations/Tauntings That SHOULDV Been Calld, NFL Wanted Saints Vs. Colts. Just Like They Wanted Titans Last Year But The Raves Had The Strength To Say F(_)ck The Refs And Win... (I'm A Steelers Fan So I Really Dont Care Its Just Bad Calls PISS MEE OFFF!!!! ) LOL! XD

1/25/10   |   WISAC1   |   6711 respect

vikings fans have now experienced the thrill ride known as brett favre.  this is why you love the guy to death and at the same time want to bang your head against a brick wall.

1/25/10   |   Lizzo   |   324 respect

bayou71PR wrote:
This is true, the media regardless of how or what saints do they will  never get respect or recognition they deserve instead let's give farve a well deserve good bye by producing stories about if or isn't he is going to retire. Truthfully this soap opera that he has become makes me sick.Yes,don't get me wrong the man did play like a warrior but the chapter of this story has ended let's put it to rest, move on to the real story. Saints first appearance in the Superbowl and becoming the 44th champion of the world.   

I'm with you. Could we please hear about the Saints and how hard they have worked to get where they are? Loved the coach talking about how not so long ago the Superdome was wet with holes in the roof. The Saints have been great for the city of New Orleans. Lets talk about two dome teams meeting for the championship in an outdoor venue. Let's talk about anything but the QB-who-shall-never-retire!!!!! Did I mention I'm a Chiefs fan? I still want to hear about the Saints.

1/25/10   |   bayou71PR   |   94 respect

This is true, the media regardless of how or what saints do they will  never get respect or recognition they deserve instead let's give farve a well deserve good bye by producing stories about if or isn't he is going to retire. Truthfully this soap opera that he has become makes me sick.Yes,don't get me wrong the man did play like a warrior but the chapter of this story has ended let's put it to rest, move on to the real story. Saints first appearance in the Superbowl and becoming the 44th champion of the world.   

1/25/10   |   RyanPatchett   |   36 respect

Yep.  You Viqueens get so far and then....CHOKE!!!  When Favre kept getting hit, he should've just stayed on the bench and let Jackson take over....he wouldn't have thrown an INT.  Childress probably wanted to, but you have to remember that Favre runs the team, he might as well run the state.  Also, good luck with the retire-unretire decision.  He will be going back and forth the whole offseason.  You guys don't have to worry about the playoffs next year because the Pack is going to win the division and someone else will get the wild cards.
GO PACK GO!!!!!!

 

1/25/10   |   drn0iswatr   |   731 respect

(Edited by drn0iswatr)

There is no way Favre retires.
Actually, he will.
No. He won't retire.
Yes he will.
No...not possible.

Dammit. Now he's in my head.

1/25/10   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

The offseason will definitely be about him. Everything is all about Favre right now. Even after the Saints won, making their first Super Bowl ever, all the announcers and ANALysts could talk about was how great Favre was. Favre is an attention whore, but the media feeds his addiction. *rant finished*

But honestly, I was impressed by his toughness. I've never had a hatred of Favre the player, just the repeated attention whorism and douchebaggery that he's displayed the last few years. But I do think it's time for him to retire, but that's just my opinion