I'm not talking about these guys who slap their name on a charity for tax or PR purposes, or do small donations or awareness for the league promoted foundations. I mean the guys and teams who really go above and beyond for the betterment of their city. The guys who spend what little spare time they have helping others however they can. How much of this actually goes on, on a regular basis rather than just at Thanksgiving or Christmas? Well...much more than you might imagine. And it's time these guys who don't do it for the recognition got some recognition.
Starting today, I'm bringing you a weekly (at the very least) update of what's going on with teams and players around the NFL, and what they're doing for their community. From gate drives and events at the stadium, school appearances, large scale donations, big play triggered sponsored donations, to players doing something wonderful for a specific needy family. Stories like JJ Watt proposing to his biggest little fan, and Andre Johnson buying toys for local foster kids at Toys R Us, Troy Polamalu auctioning a lock of his hair to benefit veterans, among others, are heartwarming and wonderful, and will obviously be covered as well. If I have the information (it can be a challenge to find!), I will post about events prior to their scheduled date, so you can even help if you're near an area where it's happening! This blog is just the beginning.
Hit the jump to check out what's on the schedule for this week...
To start, I'm just giving a schedule of various goings on around the league in the upcoming week:
- Seahawks "Cell Phones for Soldiers" - Gently used cell phone gate drive at CenturyLink Field
- Colts Thanksgiving Shopping Event - Colts will provide 10 mothers who have sought refuge with Sheltering Wings (an organization which provides emergency housing and food to victims of domestic abuse) with a shopping trip for food and supplies for the Thanksgiving holiday.
These will be posted as we discover them throughout the league.
- Seahawks "Power of '12'" - For each opposing team false start, Western Washington Toyota Dealers donate $500 to schools.
- Seahawks "Special Kicks" - For each field goal and punt downed inside the 20yd line, donation will be made to a local Camp Fire group.
- Seahawks "Russell Investments" - For each passing or rushing TD scored by Russell Wilson, Russell Investments donates $2,000 to support youth activities.
I realize this list is a little "Seahawks" heavy, but by no means does that indicate that I believe the Seahawks do any more than any other team. Hopefully I will be able to obtain information from more teams in the future, as the Hawks information has obviously been the most accessible to me.
If you have examples of what your favorite or local team is doing to help their community and I've missed it here, let us know in the comments!