Derrick Rose Photographed Throwing Up Gang Signs At Party

Derrick Rose Is Working Wonders For The Stellar Reputation Of The NBA

6/11/09 in NBA   |   Pat   |   5230 respect

There's no date on this picture, but it just came out recently, so as far as the viewing public is concerned, it's a new picture.

As you can see, the picture is of Derrick Rose at a party, in a smoke-filled room, throwing up gang signs, this one reportedly for Chicago's Gangster Disciples gang.

As Tremendous Upside Potential notes, this could have been taken back when he was at Memphis, or during his high school days in Chicago.

But is this really the image that the NBA wants one of its brightest young stars to project? They just had a former referee get roughed up in jail by the mafia, and their officiating is still the most criticized in all of the major sports.

With things like this, as well as the issue about his questionable SAT scores at Memphis, and perhaps there's reason for Bulls fans to be a little concerned. While Rose is definitely supremely talented, there may be some character issues that could play out rather poorly in the long run. And that's the last thing the NBA needs right now.


Did You Really Need to Be Photographed Throwing Up Gang Signs? [The Big Lead]
The offseason can't end soon enough for Derrick Rose [Tremendous Upside Potential]
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

6/13/09   |   the_pdogs

it was humbolt park MLD'S not vice lords who had the girls do the hit and they killed two male latin kings

6/13/09   |   the_pdogs

jswol54 wrote blackstones (gd) like they are the same gang they are totally two rival gangs

6/12/09   |   ChiGrizzly

Im from chicago and gd's are rivals to the blackstones.... It prolly was a joke tho cuz his friend in the back is throwing up a rival gang sign

6/12/09   |   bjimjonez

Look, there are some people who claim gangs as a respect to the people they grew up with and what they seen when they grew up.  Then you have the people who really carry out gang activities.  I assure you withthe money he getting now he dont need a gang. I take it as he was simply showing love to his hood.

6/11/09   |   BluDevil   |   618 respect

CalBoomer wrote:
Tattooed gang-signing thugs in the NBA?? What's the world coming to? Oh, I forgot, they can dribble and shoot baskets.

Been that way since AI, no big deal. The game is still in good shape, IMO.

6/11/09   |   jswol54   |   20819 respect

Pat wrote:
He's not comparing weed and gang signs to dog fighting. I believe what he's saying is that it looks like he's heading down the wrong path.

And when you think about it, his situation might be a lot closer to Vick's than you might think. The core problem is that Vick was hanging out with his old friends, even though he should have been separating himself from people who could/would take him down the wrong road. It would appear as though Rose might be doing the same thing. And since he's in Chicago where he grew up, it's not that unreasonable that the problem could get bigger, theoretically.

Which is why I said I saw his point.  These types of pictures certainly are not good for his image and from an outsiders prospective, it looks like he's running around with the riff raff from his old neighborhood.  As previously eluded to, these pictures are supposedly a few years old.  When people think of Michael Vick, they most likely picture a coddled pro athlete that ran a dog fighting ring where dogs were even murdered if they didn't perform.  Rose simply hanging out with old friends from his neighborhood and comparing him to a convicted felon is unfair, unless you are stating that he may be heading down a similar path.  The casual fan probably isn't able to distinguish the difference though. 

6/11/09   |   CalBoomer   |   43 respect

Tattooed gang-signing thugs in the NBA?? What's the world coming to? Oh, I forgot, they can dribble and shoot baskets.

6/11/09   |   Pat   |   5230 respect

jswol54 wrote:
Hey now, blazing a little giggle grass and throwing up gang signs is a whole lot different than running a dog fighting ring.  You're comparing apples and oranges. 

But I see your point.  These types of things aren't good for the image of the NBA.

He's not comparing weed and gang signs to dog fighting. I believe what he's saying is that it looks like he's heading down the wrong path.

And when you think about it, his situation might be a lot closer to Vick's than you might think. The core problem is that Vick was hanging out with his old friends, even though he should have been separating himself from people who could/would take him down the wrong road. It would appear as though Rose might be doing the same thing. And since he's in Chicago where he grew up, it's not that unreasonable that the problem could get bigger, theoretically.

6/11/09   |   jswol54   |   20819 respect

dwyermaker wrote:
Just wait until John Wall is the number one pick next year and see the photos that come out.  You're projected to be the number one pick in the NBA draft in 2010 and you get busted for burglary?  Both these guys are incredible talents but I'm concerned that we are heading for a Michael Vick incident in the NBA at some point...

Hey now, blazing a little giggle grass and throwing up gang signs is a whole lot different than running a dog fighting ring.  You're comparing apples and oranges. 

But I see your point.  These types of things aren't good for the image of the NBA.

6/11/09   |   dwyermaker   |   39 respect

Just wait until John Wall is the number one pick next year and see the photos that come out.  You're projected to be the number one pick in the NBA draft in 2010 and you get busted for burglary?  Both these guys are incredible talents but I'm concerned that we are heading for a Michael Vick incident in the NBA at some point...

6/11/09   |   Ray_Gamma   |   17 respect

 If he was being protected by them in Englewood then I would call that smart. The NBA could have been snatched from under the boys grips real quick if he was not protected. 

6/11/09   |   LEGZ   |   7 respect

TOO FUNNY THROW IT UP THROW IT UP ...HAHAHAHA AS LONG AS HE DOESNT GET SHOT DOING IT RIGHT

6/11/09   |   jswol54   |   20819 respect

100%InjuryRate wrote:
Ah, the Black P Stones. It's been a while since I thought of Chicago, but that just pulled me right back in.

Check out Gangland on A&E(I believe).  There have been quite a few specials on Chicagoland gangs...it will refresh your memory with a quickness.  The best one was Humbolt Park Vice Lords...they are cut throat and have teenage girls make hits.

6/11/09   |   The_Real_Stoney   |   24977 respect

You know what gang scares me? The Little Rascals..  I don't know what it is, but it just seems there's something they are trying to hide..Oh, and the Goonies too

6/11/09   |   drn0iswatr   |   731 respect

fremontguy26 wrote:
i take it u watched the hbo special in the 90's bangin in little rock

 sadly I had no HBO...I just watched all the cool kids in school. 

6/11/09   |   drn0iswatr   |   731 respect

Pat wrote:
Ironically, I DID do some research. And the Gangster Disciples, the gang whose sign he is making in the picture, is not a "good" gang.

 sure...."research".......

6/11/09   |   Pat   |   5230 respect

fremontguy26 wrote:
so what, what if hes in a gang, theres gangs everywhere. Black, white, asian, mexican, multi racial, the police, the armed forces. gangs are everywhere some good some bad. the worst gangs of them all is the kkk, skinheads, ms-13 and lately the police. so say wha u want about  gangs their not all bad some help the community and some tear it up. so wha im tryin to say is before u speak on the subject do your research before u judge someone

Ironically, I DID do some research. And the Gangster Disciples, the gang whose sign he is making in the picture, is not a "good" gang.

6/11/09   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

jswol54 wrote:
This picture is rumored to have been taken between high school and his time at Memphis.  Also, it was apparently a joke because his friend is throwing up a rival gang sign.  There has been speculation that the Black Stones(GD) protected Rose and his family while he was moving up the ranks, but there is no concrete evidence.  It could be true because Englewood, the neighborhood he grew up in, is one of the worst areas in Chicago. 

This certainly reflects poorly on Rose, but Rose will be fine in my opinion.  There is too much evidence that suggests he's a good kid to allow one picture and an alleged SAT scandal tarnish his image.

Ah, the Black P Stones. It's been a while since I thought of Chicago, but that just pulled me right back in.

6/11/09   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

Works for me.

6/11/09   |   fremontguy26   |   24 respect

drn0iswatr wrote:
 i'm impressed. the only thing I know how to do is make the word blood using both hands. needless to say I have a ton of street cred....(please stop laughing)

i take it u watched the hbo special in the 90's bangin in little rock

6/11/09   |   fremontguy26   |   24 respect

so what, what if hes in a gang, theres gangs everywhere. Black, white, asian, mexican, multi racial, the police, the armed forces. gangs are everywhere some good some bad. the worst gangs of them all is the kkk, skinheads, ms-13 and lately the police. so say wha u want about  gangs their not all bad some help the community and some tear it up. so wha im tryin to say is before u speak on the subject do your research before u judge someone

6/11/09   |   drn0iswatr   |   731 respect

jswol54 wrote:
This picture is rumored to have been taken between high school and his time at Memphis.  Also, it was apparently a joke because his friend is throwing up a rival gang sign.  There has been speculation that the Black Stones(GD) protected Rose and his family while he was moving up the ranks, but there is no concrete evidence.  It could be true because Englewood, the neighborhood he grew up in, is one of the worst areas in Chicago. 

This certainly reflects poorly on Rose, but Rose will be fine in my opinion.  There is too much evidence that suggests he's a good kid to allow one picture and an alleged SAT scandal tarnish his image.

 i'm impressed. the only thing I know how to do is make the word blood using both hands. needless to say I have a ton of street cred....(please stop laughing)

6/11/09   |   jswol54   |   20819 respect

This picture is rumored to have been taken between high school and his time at Memphis.  Also, it was apparently a joke because his friend is throwing up a rival gang sign.  There has been speculation that the Black Stones(GD) protected Rose and his family while he was moving up the ranks, but there is no concrete evidence.  It could be true because Englewood, the neighborhood he grew up in, is one of the worst areas in Chicago. 

This certainly reflects poorly on Rose, but Rose will be fine in my opinion.  There is too much evidence that suggests he's a good kid to allow one picture and an alleged SAT scandal tarnish his image.

6/11/09   |   drn0iswatr   |   731 respect

maybe he was just trying to sign the word butterfly for the deaf photographer......