Derrick Rose To Blame For The Memphis Fiasco?

Does Derrick Rose Deserve The Blame for the Memphis Fiasco?

6/1/09 in NCAABB   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

Just moments after the Memphis Commercial Appeal broke the news that the NCAA would conduct a hearing regarding possible major violations by Memphis' basketball program, John Calipari was tried, convicted, and sentenced to die by the court of public opinion.  

Now that the dust is beginning to settle and people are starting to examine the known facts in the allegations, some are coming to the conclusion that former Memphis guard, Derrick Rose could be largely to blame for the most severe charges made against the program.  Rose has remained silent throughout the whole ordeal, hiding behind his lawyer and declining comment.  Those are not usually the actions taken by someone who has been falsely accused, or someone who cares about the future of his former college team.  

The NCAA hearing will be held in Indianapolis, IN on June 6, 2009.   John Calipari, who will be in China at that time, will be present via telephone for the meeting.  What is most hopeful for Memphis fans, is that the NCAA has not officially found the University of Memphis guilty of misconduct yet, and the possibility still remains for a light sentence to be handed down by the NCAA if they aren't deemed responsible for the alleged actions of the former star.  

Regardless of whether or not Memphis or their staff knowingly participated in defrauding the NCAA, if Derrick Rose is declared ineligible to play during the 2007-2008 season, Memphis will most likely be forced to vacate all 38 wins and 5 NCAA tournament wins (national runners-up). There is still no word on whether or not Derrick Rose is required to appear at the June 6 hearing.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

7/2/09   |   bigdog68

bigdog68 wrote:
i was reffering to other coaching jobs not the kentucky job.

arkansas but they aren't in the same league as kentucky. so i agree with u there.

6/17/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

bigdog68 wrote:
i was reffering to other coaching jobs not the kentucky job.

OK, then please tell me what coaching job Calipari passed on that even remotely compares to UK? 

6/10/09   |   bigdog68

Drakesrake_77 wrote:
Check your facts.  Cal was NOT offered the job when Gillispie took over two years ago. 

i was reffering to other coaching jobs not the kentucky job.

6/5/09   |   Tarheel23_GOAT   |   11 respect

Personally i just feel real bad for UK because of the Coach he is dirty, its proven. The selling your soul to the devil I believe because CBB is about winning period and schools will cheat thats just the nature of the game but then there is some schools that run clean programs and win without cheating. UK never thought of get the freshmen class thats there now. No matter if it's Rose because he is making money regardless,Coach Cal is just dirt period and anywhere he goes something happens, UK has sold their soul in some ways but i cant knock them for wanting to get back to the top of winning, but in the long run everyone will get hurt from this, UK and their legacy of a great program, Rose image may get a little dirt but will get over it he is making more money than his former coach, and Coach Cal should be banned from CBB and everything about Cal should be erased. This is not how u win for your program but UK wanted BAD and they got it with Coach Cal.Drake77  I feel for UK legacy, and history its scandels like this that puts a bad taste in your mouth but i guess it doesn't matter just as long as UK wins right ?

6/4/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

bigdog68 wrote:
coach cal knew what was going on. why is it all of a sudden that he jumps at the first offer on the table, when in the pass he has had the same offers years before. come on let's be realistic about this. it won't hurt the coach or the player, it only makes us (memphis) look bad.

Check your facts.  Cal was NOT offered the job when Gillispie took over two years ago. 

6/4/09   |   bigdog68

coach cal knew what was going on. why is it all of a sudden that he jumps at the first offer on the table, when in the pass he has had the same offers years before. come on let's be realistic about this. it won't hurt the coach or the player, it only makes us (memphis) look bad.

6/2/09   |   BluDevil   |   618 respect

Drakesrake_77 wrote:
Allright, allright! I give.  I believe you.  Since Cowboy's fans are the experts on "selling your soul to revive a program", and ignoring history to convince yourselves that you've got a great team. How'd that all turn out again?  Hmmmm....I seem to remember a 44-13 crushing at the hands of the Eagles last year to send the Boys packing!  How many of those million dollar executive suites at the Cowboy's new stadium did they lose after last year's performance. One thing Mr. Wildcat fan knows is, Rupp Arena will always be filled to capacity no matter what happens. History has proven that for sure.    

OOOOOOOO..... BURN!

6/2/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

blamka wrote:
Face the facts, Mr. Wildcat fan, UK sold it's soul to the devil to revive it's hoops program.  You can blame anyone you want, but don't ignore history and convince yourself otherwise - Calipari is s-k-e-t-c-h-y.
(Edited by Drakesrake_77)

Allright, allright! I give.  I believe you.  Since Cowboy's fans are the experts on "selling your soul to revive a program", and ignoring history to convince yourselves that you've got a great team. How'd that all turn out again?  Hmmmm....I seem to remember a 44-13 crushing at the hands of the Eagles last year to send the Boys packing!  How many of those million dollar executive suites at the Cowboy's new stadium did they lose after last year's performance. One thing Mr. Wildcat fan knows is, Rupp Arena will always be filled to capacity no matter what happens. History has proven that for sure.    

6/2/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

dwyermaker wrote:
I think the notion that a 17 year old kid who couldn't pass the SAT's on his own would have the resources and intelligence to get grades changed and select a trustworthy individual to take the test for him without anyone finding out for two years is ridiculous.  What is more likely is that Rose knew everything was going on while Memphis and Calipari put this whole thing together and now he's in a position to take the fall for them because the NCAA can't do anything.  Basically, he's Lee Harvey Oswald, Memphis is the mafia and Calipari is J. Edgar Hoover... 

Worst case scenario, even in the unlikely scenario that Rose got charged with fraud it's not like he's going to do jail time with his legal resources and the relatively benign nature of any crime committed. And how much money is he going to make in the next 12 years to pay any fines?  This way everyone comes out relatively clean, Rose may lose some endorsement $, but unlike Latrell I think he'll still be able to feed his family...

Rose would almost certainly need help if these allegations are indeed true, but I think it's more likely that people at the high school level were behind the alleged grade fixing and SAT "stand-in".  I mean someone at Simeon Career Academy, allegedly changed a grade from a D to a C, sent the transcript to the NCAA, and then back to a D after the NCAA ruled he was eligible.  That almost had to be someone inside Rose's high school, or do you think Memphis sent someone down to break in and hack into the computer system?  Aside from walking D. Rose in the door to take his SAT, I still don't see how Memphis or Coach Cal could've known about any of it.  They have to have some trust that their recruits are doing the right things and not cheating to get into school, and when the NCAA clears them, that pretty much the end of the story 99.9% of the time. 
  
From all accounts I've found, the SAT in question was only about 150 points higher than his previous score. It's not like he scored a 600 on one, and then a 1250 on the next.  It was consistant with what a few months of tutoring and hard work would do for a young man trying to get into college.  The NCAA Clearinghouse cleared him to play.  What more is a university or coach supposed to do at that point? 

I think Memphis is getting screwed no matter who is ultimately to blame.  The only thing I think they are actually guilty of, is poor accounting practices.  Not making Rose's brother, Reggie pay back the University for the plane tickets and hotel rooms in full was sloppy at best.  But there wouldn't be all this hub-bub over that allegation alone.  Call me naive, but that seems like an easy mistake to make.   

6/2/09   |   burnet44   |   49 respect

Ill bet

1.  Rose knew and went along with it
2. Calli knew and set the COGS in motion
3. People in the athletic/academic department know


Here is whats gonna happen

1. a lot of press
2. the NCAA will punish MSU
3. Rose will still be making money in the NBA
4. Calli will be at KU trying to keep his job there
5. MSU will forfeit games just like Michigan did with the Fab 5

anint nothing happening to Rose
cali might get a lil something
but u think KU cares

Its all about winning people
all about winning
and dont think the NCAA dont know that too


6/2/09   |   drn0iswatr   |   731 respect

Dream_Machine wrote:
Did You Say Small Co.... Never Mind

 OH MY

6/1/09   |   Dream_Machine   |   13227 respect

drn0iswatr wrote:
 Rose shouldn't be the only one under the scope right now...he is a small cog in a giant wheel (or whatever the expression is :)

Did You Say Small Co.... Never Mind

6/1/09   |   CalBoomer   |   43 respect

100%InjuryRate wrote:
I'd be shocked if Calipari didn't know anything about this. I mean, Rose had to be eligible for him to be playing at Memphis.

Eligible??? As in had a pulse.

6/1/09   |   CalBoomer   |   43 respect

"...cares about the future of his former college team." !!!!! Yikes. Do people care about their last job at McDonalds? These 1-year college dudes are strictly mercenaries because that's what the NBA requires. Rah-rah college spirit? You got to be kidding me.

6/1/09   |   drlove0354   |   4 respect

Hell no Rose was a way to a championship. If it was not Memphis it would have been some one else. Memphis dangled the biggest avenune of a sale out.The kid from Chicago went out seeking Memphis? Be for real!

6/1/09   |   Boski93   |   375 respect

Well this Rose is not so sweet smelling. 

Sadly it looks like either he, Memphis or both shoveled enough manure around to grow this. Sadly it looks like all they got is a stinking mess that people who have nothing to do with this will have to clean up. 

6/1/09   |   blamka   |   12 respect

Face the facts, Mr. Wildcat fan, UK sold it's soul to the devil to revive it's hoops program.  You can blame anyone you want, but don't ignore history and convince yourself otherwise - Calipari is s-k-e-t-c-h-y.

6/1/09   |   BluDevil   |   618 respect

Well, if the evidence is such that it's is all on Rose and not on the program (or Cal) then I'd hope the NCAA wouldn't be too hard on Memphis. But it is pretty hard to believe that something like this could have gone down and no one in the program knew anything about it.

6/1/09   |   sbertschmann   |   24 respect

don't they think its weird that calipari won't be here for the hearing???

6/1/09   |   dwyermaker   |   39 respect

I think the notion that a 17 year old kid who couldn't pass the SAT's on his own would have the resources and intelligence to get grades changed and select a trustworthy individual to take the test for him without anyone finding out for two years is ridiculous.  What is more likely is that Rose knew everything was going on while Memphis and Calipari put this whole thing together and now he's in a position to take the fall for them because the NCAA can't do anything.  Basically, he's Lee Harvey Oswald, Memphis is the mafia and Calipari is J. Edgar Hoover... 

Worst case scenario, even in the unlikely scenario that Rose got charged with fraud it's not like he's going to do jail time with his legal resources and the relatively benign nature of any crime committed. And how much money is he going to make in the next 12 years to pay any fines?  This way everyone comes out relatively clean, Rose may lose some endorsement $, but unlike Latrell I think he'll still be able to feed his family...

6/1/09   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

I'd be shocked if Calipari didn't know anything about this. I mean, Rose had to be eligible for him to be playing at Memphis.

6/1/09   |   drn0iswatr   |   731 respect

 Rose shouldn't be the only one under the scope right now...he is a small cog in a giant wheel (or whatever the expression is :)

6/1/09   |   keppieboy   |   158 respect

 I guess Calipari knew when to jump ship.