Dion Lewis arrested, charged with misdemeanor and felony for pulling fire hotel alarm
The police stated that the 21-year-old Dion Lewis along with his 35-year-old brother Lamar Lewis attempted some less than ideal methods of entering the Hampton Inn, where the running back was a guest, after finding themselves locked out of the building. When the Dion Lewis and his older brother failed to re-enter the building, the duo started violently knocking on the glass sliding doors of the hotel’s lobby "with such force as to rock them and nearly break them from their hinges," said Police officer Steve Smith.
When the second-year running back Dion Lewis and his brother were unable to attract any attention, they decided to pull the hotel’s fire alarm in an attempt to re-enter the building. The Police officers that arrived at the scene reported that Dion Lewis and Lamar Lewis were intoxicated but still willing to cooperate with the law. Dion Lewis and his brother were arrested by the police at 4:40 a.m early Sunday.
Hotel management revealed that its guest, which in this case included the Albany native Dion Lewis are provided with keys to their room and the doors are locked at midnight so as to that a person who isn’t listed as a guest with the hotel cannot enter the building. Dion Lewis had probably lost his room key which led to a few questionable actions on Sunday.
Police charged both Dion Lewis and his brother with a falsely reporting a fire (felony) and reckless endangerment (misdemeanor). While Dion Lewis was released from jail following an arraignment at the city court, Lamar Lewis remained in jail without bail due to two prior felony counts against him.
Monday, Dion Lewis appeared apologetic for his disorderly conduct and the scene he had produced.
“I want to apologize to my family, the Albany community, the Eagles organization and fans, and to the NFL for my involvement in an incident this past weekend,” conveyed Dion Lewis through an official statement in association with the Philadelphia Eagles. “It was never my intention to cause any public alarm or damage any property. I am sorry for any embarrassment and inconvenience that my actions have caused.”
Dion Lewis continued with the hope of avoiding such mistakes and conducting himself in a more suitable manner.
“I am committed to continuing to conduct myself in conformance with the high moral, ethical and professional standards that I have my entire life and of which so many others rightly expect of me,” said Dion Lewis. “Because the matter is still in the hands of the court system, I cannot comment any further.”
The Philadelphia released in a statement that they were aware of the unfortunate incident and had been in contact with Dion Lewis. However, an ongoing legal case, made it impossible for tehm to share the details.
The Philadelphia Eagle’s 2011 drafts fifth-pick out of University of Pittsburgh is the top backup receiver prospect behind LeSean McCoy. Dion Lewis is competing for the job with Bryce Brown, who was drafted in the seventh round of the 2012 drafts and Chris Polk. Last season Dion Lewis had 23 rushing attempts for 102 yards and one touchdown. Dion Lewis also returned 31 kicks for 669 yards previous season.