With The 20th Pick In The FanIQ NFL Mock Draft, The Detroit Lions Select...
Here are the picks so far:
1. Detroit Lions - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
2. St Louis Rams - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
3. Kansas City Chiefs - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
4. Seattle Seahawks - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
5. Cleveland Browns - Micahel Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
6. Cincinnati Bengals - Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
7. Oakland Raiders - BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Everette Brown, LB, Florida State
9. Green Bay Packers - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
10. San Francisco 49ers - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
11. Buffalo Bills - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
12. Denver Broncos - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
d13. Washington Redskins - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
14. New Orleans Saints - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
15. Houston Texans - Clay Matthews, LB, USC
16. San Diego Chargers - Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
17. New York Jets - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
18. Denver Broncos - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
The Lions took Aaron Curry with the #1 pick in this mock draft. They still have needs pretty much everywhere, however. This team was obviously one of the worst teams in the history of the NFL.
My philosophy for rebuilding teams like this is simple. Build from the trenches. Whether it's offensive line or defensive line, you need to be able to control the line of scrimmage in order for the rest of your team to see true success.
Some players that the Lions should consider with this pick are Eben Britton (OT, Arizona), William Beatty (OT, Connecticut), Tyson Jackson (DE, LSU), Robert Ayers (DE, Tennessee) and Peria Jerry (DT, Mississippi).
Britton and Beatty are the best offensive linemen left. Many experts debate which one should be taken higher, but both are huge linemen, expected to be solid at the next level. Perry is a huge DT, and some people have the Lions taking him here, but I believe that they can get more value AND more results out of a defensive end at this pick. I think that Jackson and Ayers are the two best players available right now, and I think that either of them would be an excellent pick for the Lions.
In the end, I have to lean towards Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU. He's a little bigger than Ayers, and he has a little more experience on his side, as Ayers was only a 1-year starter. I believe Jackson is the slightly better pick, and he's the one the Lions are taking with this pick in the Mock Draft.