With The 27th Pick In The FanIQ NFL Mock Draft, The Indianapolis Colts Select...
Here are the picks so far:
1. Detroit Lions - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
2. St Louis Rams - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
3. Kansas City Chiefs - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
4. Seattle Seahawks - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
5. Cleveland Browns - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
6. Cincinnati Bengals - Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
7. Oakland Raiders - BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Everette Brown, LB, Florida State
9. Green Bay Packers - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
10. San Francisco 49ers - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
11. Buffalo Bills - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
12. Denver Broncos - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
13. Washington Redskins - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
14. New Orleans Saints - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
15. Houston Texans - Clay Matthews, LB, USC
16. San Diego Chargers - Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
17. New York Jets - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
18. Denver Broncos - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
20. Detroit Lions - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
21. Philadelphia Eagles - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
22. Minnesota Vikings - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
23. New England Patriots - Paul Kruger, LB/DE, Utah
24. Atlanta Falcons - Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia
25. Miami Dolphins - Connor Barwin, DE/OLB, Cincinnati
26. Baltimore Ravens - Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
The Colts have are a pretty deep team all around, which is a great thing to have. But one position is a large gaping hole. Defensive tackle. The Colts got ran on without mercy and the weakness inside was a big reason. Ed Johnson, who had been a solid starter, got cut for weed, meanwhile Quinn Pitcock, a promising young DT, up and retired in the preseason. In my opinion, DT is FAR AND AWAY the biggest need. But the Colts are also looking at wide receivers to fill Marvin Harrison's open spot. The Colts also had a lot of problems running, so offensive line or running back will get a look.
The Colts may be looking very seriously into wide receiver (which angers me to no end as receiver is really not that big of a need. They have Wayne, Gonzalez, Clark, tight end depth, and young WRs who just need a chance) Hakeem Nicks is a focus, but he's off in the FanIQ draft. With Percy Harvin left, he's considered. But ultimately, defensive tackle is the need, and two guys stand out above the rest. Peria Jerry and Evander "Ziggy" Hood.
I think the opening at DT will be too big to ignore, and there is really no way both Jerry and Hood are gone by this point. So then the question is, who do you take? Both are about 300 pounds, which is small for most teams, but is the ideal weight for a Colts Tampa 2 NT. Both are very fast, and both could come in and start instantly and make the defense a whole lot better. Both would be a great pick. Ultimately, if it came down to these two, with the 27th pick in the NFL Draft, the Indianapolis Colts select Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss.