With The 23rd Pick In The FanIQ NFL Mock Draft, The New England Patriots Select...
Here are the picks so far:
1. Detroit Lions - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
2. St Louis Rams - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
3. Kansas City Chiefs - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
4. Seattle Seahawks - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
5. Cleveland Browns - Micahel Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
6. Cincinnati Bengals - Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
7. Oakland Raiders - BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Everette Brown, LB, Florida State
9. Green Bay Packers - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
10. San Francisco 49ers - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
11. Buffalo Bills - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
12. Denver Broncos - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
13. Washington Redskins - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
14. New Orleans Saints - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
15. Houston Texans - Clay Matthews, LB, USC
16. San Diego Chargers - Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
17. New York Jets - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
18. Denver Broncos - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
20. Detroit Lions - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
21. Philadelphia Eagles - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
22. Minnesota Vikings - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
If the draft really does shape up like this, expect the Patriots to trade up to try to get Jenkins, or down to pick up an extra pick or two. They would love to grab a guy like Clay Matthews with this pick, but there are definitely still other options.
Their top needs are definitely at OLB and CB. Vontae Davis of Illinois might be the pick here, but there are whispers that he might just be a workout warrior, like his brother (TE Vernon Davis), and his skills may not translate to the playing field as well as one might hope. I think that Paul Kruger might be the best option for OLB/DE in their 3-4 set.
Kruger played DE for Utah, but he has the speed ot fill their huge void at OLB as well, and could line up in several different positions for coach Belichick. That's something that the Patriots look for, so I think that in this scenario, he makes a lot of sense as their pick.