With the NFL Draft coming on April 25, we're putting together a Mock Draft for the first round of the draft, featuring a combination of FanIQ Featured Writers, as well as some great NFL team bloggers from around the internet. Today, we'll feature picks from the San Diego Chargers, New York Jets and Denver Broncos. Every day until Friday, April 24, we will post more picks, with recaps of why each player was chosen, with some other analysis. Making the next pick was Brian Bassett from TheJetsBlog.com
, with the #17 pick for the Jets.
Here are the picks so far:
1. Detroit Lions - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
2. St Louis Rams - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
3. Kansas City Chiefs - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
4. Seattle Seahawks - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
5. Cleveland Browns - Micahel Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
6. Cincinnati Bengals - Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
7. Oakland Raiders - BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Everette Brown, LB, Florida State
9. Green Bay Packers - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
10. San Francisco 49ers - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
11. Buffalo Bills - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
12. Denver Broncos - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
13. Washington Redskins - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
14. New Orleans Saints - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
15. Houston Texans - Clay Matthews, LB, USC
16. San Diego Chargers - Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
The Jets have question marks and needs all over the place including: QB, WR, RB, TE, OL, DL, S. The offensive and defensive line were healthy in 2008, that's no way to go through multiple seasons and although the team has it's starters, there is a real need for depth in both groups. Meanwhile the team has real needs at all skill positions, specifically WR where Laveranues Coles used to play, as well as at RB, where 31 year old Thomas Jones is holding out. Although Ryan has expressed his commitment to the team's "One and One-A" QBs, there has to be some concern about the team's real ability to field a top level talent at this position.
Going by BBPA (Bassett's Best Player Available) the next three selections on the Jets board would likely be USC QB Mark Sanchez, LSU's Tyson Jackson, and Georgia's RB Knowshon Moreno.
Since I have to pick someone, I'll have to go with Sanchez. But having Sanchez (in my mind a top ten pick) still on the board this late seems like an easy decision, the team either needs to pick him or trade back with a team who is targeting a player like Sanchez. In reality, if the Jets were in this situation, there would be teams behind them, starting with Detroit & Minnesota looking to scramble in front of the Bucs to get a QB. With so many other areas of immediate need, Quarterback is the last thing I would want the team to trade up from #17 and get in the draft.
Other than Sanchez, having players like Jackson, Moreno, Freeman and Heyward-Bey all on the board at this time seems like an embarrassment of riches to me, and it's a shame I can only make one pick. I am concerned that Sanchez, although a clear leader and sharp kid, doesn't have the collegiate level experience required to make an impact any time soon on this team, and this is a move made for the longer haul than quick fix.