With The 32nd Pick In The FanIQ NFL Mock Draft, The Pittsburgh Steelers Select...
Here are the picks so far:
1. Detroit Lions - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
2. St Louis Rams - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
3. Kansas City Chiefs - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
4. Seattle Seahawks - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
5. Cleveland Browns - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
6. Cincinnati Bengals - Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
7. Oakland Raiders - BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Everette Brown, LB, Florida State
9. Green Bay Packers - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
10. San Francisco 49ers - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
11. Buffalo Bills - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
12. Denver Broncos - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
13. Washington Redskins - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
14. New Orleans Saints - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
15. Houston Texans - Clay Matthews, LB, USC
16. San Diego Chargers - Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
17. New York Jets - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
18. Denver Broncos - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
20. Detroit Lions - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
21. Philadelphia Eagles - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
22. Minnesota Vikings - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
23. New England Patriots - Paul Kruger, LB/DE, Utah
24. Atlanta Falcons - Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia
25. Miami Dolphins - Connor Barwin, DE/OLB, Cincinnati
26. Baltimore Ravens - Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
27. Indianapolis Colts - Jeria Perry, DT, Mississippi
28. Buffalo Bills - Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
29. New York Giants - Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
30. Tennessee Titans - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
31. Arizona Cardinals - Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State
Big Ben has been sacked over 100 times during the past 2 seasons (including playoffs). Therefore, it is no secret that the Steelers' offensive line can use an upgrade. The Steelers also lost starting cornerback Bryant McFadden to free agency, so cornerback is also a need. All of the starting defensive linemen are over 30 years old, and there are no young players waiting in the wings to replace them, so injecting youth into the defensive line is also a need.
I was extremely tempted to take center Alex Mack. He is the player that just about every mock draft has the Steelers selecting. he would look great in black and gold, and he would continue the Steelers' history of having great centers.
I also looked very hard at defensive linemen Jarron Gilbert and Fili Moala. But ultimately, I decided that one of them would probably still be available at the end of the second round.
But ultimately, I couldn't believe the Steelers good fortune to find one of the best cornerbacks in the draft still waiting to be selected. So with the 32nd pick in the draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. Davis is big and physical, and has super-human athleticism just like his brother Vernon Davis. Davis has relied too much on his athleticism, and needs to improve his technique. However, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is excellent at developing young DB's. Davis should be able to break into the starting line-up by the middle of the season (if not sooner).