FanIQ Live Week 12 NFL Game Thread

FanIQ GameDay Live: Week 12

11/24/13 in NFL   |   Jess   |   34419 respect

Blog Photo - FanIQ Live Week 12 NFL Game ThreadHappy Sunday, football fans, and welcome to the Week 12 edition of FanIQ GameDay Live! Today we are joined by one of my NHL thread partners in crime, kramer (or as I prefer to call him, BK - but he goes by Bryan too.) Kramer's a loyal Pittsburgh fan, and you can find him all over the site. 

Welcome, BK! Let's do this...


Early Games:
1:00pm - Steelers @ Browns on CBS
BK - They're not dead yet and I am not giving up hope. I'm taking the Steelers because I stick by my team no matter what.

Jess - I have no idea what's going on with either of these teams. They have the same overall record, but going by the Browns' home record against the Steelers away record, I have to pick the Browns here. It's not an exact science, but it's what I've got.

1:00pm - Buccaneers @ Lions on FOX
​BK - The Bucs stop here (pun intended). Detroit won't fudge up at home like they did last week on the road. Lions win this.

Jess - Uhm yea, I can't see Tampa Bay beating Detroit. They looked strong against Seattle a few weeks ago, but that was more Seattle beating Seattle than anything else. Miami and Atlanta are having a rough go of things right now, and I think Detroit is stronger than either of those two teams. 

1:00pm - Vikings @ Packers on FOX
​BK - Rodgers still isn't back right? If he is the Packers will win. Until then I don't have any confidence in them and I'm taking the Vikings for the victory.

Jess - You are correct, sir. Rodgers isn't back, and during a little bit of digging into something else, I happened across the little tidbit of coincidence; the Vikings defense will be facing their second consecutive former Wisconsin Badger QB today when they go up against Tolzien in Green Bay. You'll probably hear about it ad nauseam if you're watching the game though. I think the Packers win anyway. They may be struggling, but Minnesota is not good, and contrary to popular belief, one amazing RB does not a team make.

1:00pm - Chargers @ Chiefs on CBS
BK - They finally lost to a hell of a Denver team. San Diego isn't nearly as good and this game is at Arrowhead. Chiefs get back in the win column.
 
Jess - Kansas City's defense likes to take the ball away. Philip Rivers usually has at least one of those games per season where he's incredibly generous, and it's been awhile since his 3 INT's against the Raiders. He's due.

1:00pm - Bears @ Rams on FOX
BK - This could be a trap for da Bears, but I think they handle it well. Chicago wins on the road.


Jess - Hmm I don't know. The Rams' offense is suspect, but their defense is legit. This should actually be an interesting game to watch. I think St. Louis wins a knock-down drag-out physical bout.

1:00pm - Panthers @ Dolphins on FOX
BK - If New England's defense can't even stop Cam Newton, I fail to see how Miami has a ray's chance in hell. Panthers win this one and it won't be pretty for the home team.
 
Jess - Yea that missed call at the end of the game last week may have been ridiculous, but Carolina is for real. I don't know how it is that Miami got off to such a hot start but they've got bigger problems than just the locker room madness right now. 

1:00pm - Jets @ Ravens on CBS
​BK - Another battle of mediocre teams...just because I can, I'm picking the Jets. I absolutely despise Baltimore and Flacco isn't worth what he's being paid.

Jess - I get the hatred toward Baltimore; I feel the same way about our division rivals. I also agree wholeheartedly with you about Flacco. However, I think they break the Jets' cute little W-L-W-L-W-L streak they've got going this week.

1:00pm - Jaguars @ Texans on CBS
​BK - If Houston loses this one, we'll know they've hit rock bottom. This is their chance to end this epic losing streak, and I think they will against the worst team in the AFC.

Jess - The Texans have got to win a game soon, right? RIGHT?! I don't know that I have a whole lot of faith in them, and something tells me the Jags are a little stronger than they seem. I think Houston's due though, and gets a win here.

Late Games:
4:05pm - Titans @ Raiders on CBS
​BK - Both of these teams puzzle me. However, I am going to give the advantage to the home team and Terrelle Pryor, Raiders win.

Jess - I've been hearing some things about Pryor actually not playing today - I think they're going with McGloin because of how well he played while Pryor was out with injury. Hmm...smells like another bay area QB controversy catalyzed by an injury. With Locker out for the year, I think the Raiders win anyway.

4:05pm - Colts @ Cardinals on CBS
​BK - This has turned out to be a decent game after all. I'm going back and forth here. Hmm...Cardinals in a close one.

Jess - What's this I keep hearing about Andrew Luck not losing back-to-back games...ever? Despite the broadcaster's curse, I think he keeps that streak alive...but it's going to be a close one, you're right.

4:25pm - Cowboys @ Giants on FOX
BK - The battle of mediocre overrated NFC East teams...actually I think the Giants are doing it again, they'll make it 5 in a row and suddenly look very alive in the division race again.
 
Jess - I really hope the Giants aren't doing it again, because the Hawks have to face them in New Jersey in December and if they're doing what the Giants do in December, that scares the hell out of me. But, I have a feeling you're right. They get revenge for the debacle that started their season against the Cowboys.

Primetime Game:
8:30pm - Broncos @ Patriots on NBC
​BK - Manning vs. Brady one more time? I expect this one to go down to the wire. The defenses will be the difference here, and Denver wins that battle, so they walk away with a close and hard-fought victory.

Jess - Ugh I hate picking Brady/Manning games. On paper, it appears that this would be a sure win for the Broncos, if only because they have more weapons. But, the game is played on the field, and these two QB's are the ultimate competitors. I want to say Broncos...but I'm not über confident.

MNF Bonus Pick:
8:30pm - 49ers @ Redskins on ESPN
BK - This definitely has "trap" written all over it for San Fran, and you know what? I'm going to take the Skins for my upset pick of the week.

Jess - *pleaseberightpleaseberightpleaeberightpleaseberight* - I'm going to postpone my prediction until tomorrow's thread.

Thanks for joining us, Bryan, and good luck with your picks! As for the rest of you; who are your picks? Share them below, grab a seat, a drink, and some snacks, and Q it up here for a day full of NFL Football on FanIQ!
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

11/25/13   |   harryjamesbr

The Lions' accepted that they are a 1-dimensional aggregation even with Reggie Bush and Megatron... As continued as the Lions' aegis is giving up yards and credibility as able-bodied as Matthew Stafford throwing picks, the Lions don't accept a attempt of acceptable a game...frases de amor

11/25/13   |   Debi_L   |   11782 respect

The Pats win after a really fluky error on the field, that really shouldn't be called an error.  Oh well, it was a great game!!

11/24/13   |   Debi_L   |   11782 respect

OT and this is gonna be sooooo interesting!

11/24/13   |   Debi_L   |   11782 respect

This Bronco/Pats game is going to go right down to the wire.......

11/24/13   |   Scott   |   51963 respect

Manning versus Brady is being dominated by the Broncos defense.

11/24/13   |   Debi_L   |   11782 respect

Final score 45-23.  I think the Roughriders felt a little sorry for the TiCats and let them get a TD or three.  

11/24/13   |   Debi_L   |   11782 respect

Grey Cup is mostly a blow out.  It was 31-6 at the half, so we watched the Half Time show (Hedley was AWESOME!!!!!!!) and now I'm watching the AMA's  blush

11/24/13   |   Jess   |   34419 respect

JenX63 wrote:
For the most part, the games today have been highly entertaining!

To say the least!

11/24/13   |   JenX63   |   32447 respect

For the most part, the games today have been highly entertaining!

11/24/13   |   RaiderSteeler15   |   21038 respect

The Lions' proved that they are a 1-dimensional team even with Reggie Bush and Megatron...  As long as the Lions' defense is giving up yards and points as well as Matthew Stafford throwing picks, the Lions don't have a shot of winning a game...

11/24/13   |   Debi_L   |   11782 respect

Roughriders have a two TD lead, with about 8 minutes left in the half.  And Hedley (Cha-Ching!) is playing in the half time show :)

11/24/13   |   Jess   |   34419 respect

Eric_ wrote:
This is where we differ, as I don't see a problem with smoking some weed at all, and find this the kind of paternalistic BS I despise about the NFL and other sports leagues.

When it hurts the team, it becomes an issue for me. I don't care whether or not I disagree with the rules (I don't find weed any different than alcohol either, but that's not for me to say,) if the league - or team - takes issue with it, don't do it. That's his employer. I wouldn't break rules my employer sets forth and expect there to be no consequences. 

11/24/13   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

Jess wrote:
I know, it's dumb...but my feelings on it are: if it's banned by the league, you know the consequences, don't do it. Browner's out with a pretty serious groin injury...this is the worst time for our best backup corner to be suspended for selfish choices.

This is where we differ, as I don't see a problem with smoking some weed at all, and find this the kind of paternalistic BS I despise about the NFL and other sports leagues.

11/24/13   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

Eric_ wrote:
At what point are we going to realize there are 2, maybe 3 good teams in the entire AFC?

Yeah, 2 of them play each other later tonight.  Is it possibly safe to say the balance of power has shifted back to the NFC?

11/24/13   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

Some thoughts from today:

-The Browns looked like the Browns and the Steelers actually look somewhat like contenders...though it's still a long shot IMO.
-Really Detroit?
-The Chiefs suddenly look human, Peyton may have exposed them as being more lucky than good in their 9-0 start.  That was the most entertaining game of the day though!
-I did say this could be a trap game for da Bears and it was.
-Since we picked at odds with the Packers and Vikings, do we each get a point because they tied?
-The Jets really know how to lose when they do so huh?  I more or less picked them because I can't find it in me to ever pick the Ravens, but I kinda saw that one coming.
-The Colts are getting destroyed as badly as they did at home against the Rams.
-The Panthers know how to make you sweat don't they?

Last but not least...does anyone want to win the NFC North?

11/24/13   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

Jess wrote:
Wow I'm not looking so smart with my picks today

Considering we agreed on 8 of the games, I'm not so great either.

11/24/13   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

At what point are we going to realize there are 2, maybe 3 good teams in the entire AFC?

11/24/13   |   Jess   |   34419 respect

Eric_ wrote:
Better question: Why are we still suspending people for weed? That's beyond stupid.

I know, it's dumb...but my feelings on it are: if it's banned by the league, you know the consequences, don't do it. Browner's out with a pretty serious groin injury...this is the worst time for our best backup corner to be suspended for selfish choices.

11/24/13   |   Debi_L   |   11782 respect

CFL Grey Cup game is about to start.  The Saskatchewan Roughriders host the Hamilton Tiger Cats.  GO RIDERS!

11/24/13   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

Jess wrote:
Watching this Texans/Jags game because the kiddo wants to watch the Jags...holy schnikies, this Texans offense  sad

(Also, Walter Thurmond is a selfish idiot.)

Better question: Why are we still suspending people for weed? That's beyond stupid.

11/24/13   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

I'm not home for Thanksgiving yet, so I can't kiss my sister. What do I do?

11/24/13   |   Jess   |   34419 respect

Debi_L wrote:
OOooooops.  see below......

This day has been insane.

11/24/13   |   Debi_L   |   11782 respect

Jess wrote:
Wow I'm not looking so smart with my picks today

OOooooops.  see below......

11/24/13   |   Debi_L   |   11782 respect

Jess wrote:
Watching this Texans/Jags game because the kiddo wants to watch the Jags...holy schnikies, this Texans offense  sad

(Also, Walter Thurmond is a selfish idiot.)

although my picks weren't as public as yours, I'm still in the same boat.

11/24/13   |   Scott   |   51963 respect

Philip Rivers is throwing some darts in KC.  Chargers just took the lead late in a good old fashioned AFC West shoot out

11/24/13   |   Scott   |   51963 respect

Rams defense puts the nail in the Bears coffin

11/24/13   |   Scott   |   51963 respect

(Edited by Scott)

I no longer have any idea how a defensive player is suppose to hit an opposing quarterback

11/24/13   |   Jess   |   34419 respect

Wow I'm not looking so smart with my picks today

11/24/13   |   Debi_L   |   11782 respect

Concussions are the name of the game today :(

11/24/13   |   Jess   |   34419 respect

Watching this Texans/Jags game because the kiddo wants to watch the Jags...holy schnikies, this Texans offense  sad

(Also, Walter Thurmond is a selfish idiot.)

11/24/13   |   Scott   |   51963 respect

I know the Bears defense is hit hard by injuries but the Rams offense looks unstoppable so far today

11/24/13   |   Scott   |   51963 respect

Rams have unleashed Tavon Austin.  Another touch for the rookie results in a 65 yard touchdown run