Things are just a little too calm around here when I don't have any "irons in the fire". Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to force myself on a play just to be making one, and judging by last night's results, it was nothing short of sheer genius that I wasn't on anything. I'm ready tonight though. It's a relatively big schedule, and the hour has grown late again. So, let's get right to it.
THE NBA (1-2 ATS/1-2 SU/2-1 TOTALS last night and 8-9/11-6/8-9 so far for the week)
BUTTA (no plays last night and 1-0 so far for the week)
Heat (-5 1/2, O186) 102, BULLS 85 - We don't often get the chance to move on the Heat, but this play is not about jumping at them just because we aren't priced out of the game by a whopping spread. This winning streak has actually become important to The Champs, and they are approaching each game with purpose and focus rarely seen by a team that's so far ahead of any other squad this time of year. Also, we know the Bulls have struggled greatly at home this season, and they have also shown no ability whatsoever to be able to run with the big dogs in the league.
ALL THE REST
1. Hawks (-3, U194 1/2) 98, RAPTORS 93
2. 76ERS (pk, U198) 105, Bucks 91
3. BOBCATS (-3, O199 1/2) 116, Magic 97
4. CAVS (+2 1/2, U194 1/2) 97, Celtics 92
5. KNICKS (pk, U186 1/2) 96, Grizzlies 84
6. HORNETS (+6, U189) 92, Clippers 86
7. ROCKETS (-5 1/2, U196 1/2) 93, Pacers 86
8. THUNDER 109, Wizards (+14, O198 1/2) 95
9. WOLVES (+5, U203) 96, Lakers 95
10. SPURS 104, Nuggets (+7, U208) 100
11. JAZZ (-12, O196 1/2) 114, Suns 91
12. WARRIORS (-9, U213) 111, Kings 100
13. Nets (+2 1/2, O197) 111, BLAZERS 108
COLLEGE HOOPS (1-3 ATS/SU/TOTALS last night and 10-12/10-10/12-10 so far for the week)
The NIT (0-1/0-1/1-0 last night and 2-3/2-3/4-1 so far for the week)
1. VIRGINIA (-4 1/2, U123) 63, Iowa 48
2. SO. MISS (-5 1/2, U152) 78, Byu 68
3. BAYLOR (-8, U148 1/2) 85, Providence 55
The CBI (no games last night and 3-1/2-2/2-2 so far for the week)
1. W. Michigan (+5 1/2, U139 1/2) 72, GEORGE MASON 59
2. WRIGHT ST. (-1 1/2, U132) 70, Santa Clara 56
The CIT (1-2/1-2/0-3 last night and 1-4/1-4/2-3 so far for the week)
BUTTA (no plays in this tourney so far this week)
WEBER ST. (-8 1/2, U142) 79, Oral Roberts 60 - As I've watched this Weber St. team through this tournament and gone back and checked their progression through the season, I've seen a beast of a team, especially at home where they lay waste to just about every opponent. Teams like So. Miss and La. Tech can squawk all they want about how they got a short shrift from the selection committee for The Madness, but this Weber St. team might be better than either of those squads. They fill it up on offense but don't have to rely on that to beat teams as they play very good defense too. I'm on board.
One other interesting little tidbit to chew on may be the fact that Virginia has not lost a home game all season long. Their 20-0 record in Charlottesville is on the line tonight against Iowa, and at stake is a trip to New York for the semifinals of the NIT. Have a great rest of your Hump Day. I'll see you tomorrow when The Madness resumes.