NASCAR, Rumors

How Danica Patrick Would Change Nascar

8/6/09 in NASCAR   |   Michael_Luchies   |   17 respect

After years of expanding their fan base and increasing ratings, it looks as though NASCAR has peaked and is starting to decline in popularity. The decline can be partially attributed to the economy, but also the lack of story lines (outside of Jeremy Mayfield) and rivalries. NASCAR doesn't just need a couple of new faces, or even a few women drivers. NASCAR needs a star that will bring media attention, sponsors, fans, and sex appeal to the 'sport'. The woman for that job is IndyCar driver Danica Patrick. Danica Patrick would change NASCAR significantly through increased ratings, fans, sponsorship money and more.

I truly believe that Danica Patrick will join NASCAR. Patrick will make the smart decision and go where the money is and where the fans are, although IndyCar will do everything in their power to keep her. When Patrick comes onto the NASCAR scene, instant changes will be seen.

Ratings Boost
First off, attendance and television ratings will sky rocket. Everyone, even non-NASCAR fans will tune in to see this very attractive and talented driver race against the best drivers in the world. Those who won't be cheering for Danica to win, will be cheering for her to end up losing control and into a wall.

Women Fans
Danica Patrick won't just bring in new fans who find her attractive, she will bring in millions and millions of women loving sports fans rooting for her to succeed among the men. Danica might be able to become the 2nd or 3rd most popular driver without even winning a race. There are millions of female sports fans just waiting for someone to come along that they can root for against their husbands. Along with the increase in women fans comes an increase in purchased merchandise. I would expect Danica to instantly beat out Dale Jr. or Tony Stewart in sold merchandise, but she could come close.

Sponsors
New companies would be looking to cash in on Danica's entrance into the NASCAR world. Gender specific products would now have a large number of their target market (women) in attendance and watching on television. I don't think we will see a Tampax car, but you get my drift.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

8/13/09   |   jstsamoe

Why not have HOOTERS sponceer her!      How you like me know?

8/13/09   |   dennisgoforth1

MissAJrFan wrote:
...give it a shot Danica...let's see what ya got...   ( i meant on the race track you silly boys   )

 I cant wait to see her in nascar. She already has a fan in me!

8/13/09   |   24fan   |   31 respect

Its vary funny I heard the same thing when I started driving truck from some drivers that had been driving all there life they said the same thing about lady truck drivers that did not belong in trucking 

8/12/09   |   Debi_L   |   11868 respect

sc0ttm0 wrote:
I'd watch, but it'd get old fast.

Nascar's popularity is going down because 1. Economy   2. Jr is doing terribly and is on the same team as his fans rivals   3. The new car (racing was more fun to watch with the pit crew could do something to help his driver).

I couldn't agree with you more. 

I don't believe Danica will be good for NASCAR at all - she will simply turn it into a circus that isn't needed.  She needs to focus on doing better in the IRL and win a championship there.  It's not that I am not a fan, I just don't think she would do well in the sport and the sport doesn't need her to do well.  And truthfully, I do not believe that she would bring in more fans, in fact, if the sport became the circus I believe it would with her in it, the exact opposite would be the case, the long time fans would stop watching because they would be sick of the TV cameras following her around, especially if she wasn't performing.  We've all seen how much fans complain about the exposure on Dale Jr when he isn't performing, I can only imagine what would happen if it were Danica.
She hasn't done wonders for the IRL by being in the sport, why would it be any different in NASCAR?

8/10/09   |   pappy062003

theres already been one woman in nascar and i dont see her anymore i would like to see her try see how far she can go if she does good i'll be a big fan

8/10/09   |   lsu_is_number_1

Nice article.  Go Danica!

8/10/09   |   midaking2010

be active

8/10/09   |   sc0ttm0   |   807 respect

24fan wrote:
WHY BLME IT ON JR.?

I don't blame it on Jr completely, just one of the 3 reasons I listed. 

Jr. is one of the many reasons Nascar had gained in popularity until this past year.  Like any other fair weather fan base, once their team starts losing regularly the fans stop spending $$.

8/10/09   |   sport_1100   |   5 respect

lrlilone21 wrote:
hey give her a chance!!

No, not a Tampax car. How about a Victoria's Secret car??  Yeah!!!!

8/10/09   |   24fan   |   31 respect

sc0ttm0 wrote:
I'd watch, but it'd get old fast.

Nascar's popularity is going down because 1. Economy   2. Jr is doing terribly and is on the same team as his fans rivals   3. The new car (racing was more fun to watch with the pit crew could do something to help his driver).

WHY BLME IT ON JR.?

8/8/09   |   lrlilone21

hey give her a chance!!

8/8/09   |   Legend31

she has talent ,but can she stay focused on driving because of the attention?If she gets a fair shake she can win!I GO DANICA!

8/7/09   |   wes76118

not sure what will happen in nascar if danica went to nascar but i am not sure nascar is ready for danica

8/7/09   |   MissAJrFan   |   207 respect

wrote:
with her Tantrums maybe her and Kyle Busch can be an item.....LMnFAO!!!!!!!!

cat fight!!!  

8/7/09   |   crash78

It's worth a shot. Danica will at least bring some much needed attention (money) to the sport.
Not to mention she's pretty easy on the eyes...

8/7/09   |   sc0ttm0   |   807 respect

I'd watch, but it'd get old fast.

Nascar's popularity is going down because 1. Economy   2. Jr is doing terribly and is on the same team as his fans rivals   3. The new car (racing was more fun to watch with the pit crew could do something to help his driver).

8/7/09   |   srvntofjesus   |   13 respect

so their are millions and millions of women fans just waiting for her to hit nascar? millions? come on!!

8/7/09   |   taytaymom1

That woman can do it

8/7/09   |   MissAJrFan   |   207 respect

wrote:
Very well written article.  However, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I believe she would be a 'flash in the pan' to NASCAR.   The fans are smart enough to know when there is bad blood between drivers, and when it is (hopeful) media-hype - so waiting for a "She wrecked/He wrecked her"  deal to start controversy (interest?) is like clutching at straws.  Also, I'd say that most of the women NASCAR fans aren't really cool with Danica's 'marketability'.    Sex may sell, but I bet if you put Carl Edwards and Danica side-by-side, TOPLESS........Carl would win it by a landslide.   So, it really all comes down to gender.  Which is totally cool, but without results, she will not be of much interest for long.....

i think Carl is creepy...

8/7/09   |   Daniel_and_Becca   |   200 respect

(Edited by Daniel_and_Becca)

I can not wait this will be fun.

8/7/09   |   Talk2J   |   150 respect

daewoo10356 wrote:
come on not Danica lets get somebody who has accomplished something, got two words for ya Helio Castoneves

Yes Danica Patrick has change Nascar for the Best

8/7/09   |   daewoo10356

come on not Danica lets get somebody who has accomplished something, got two words for ya Helio Castoneves

8/6/09   |   MissAJrFan   |   207 respect

...give it a shot Danica...let's see what ya got...   ( i meant on the race track you silly boys   )

8/6/09   |   ImWayne25

umm Go Daddy?

8/6/09   |   ILoveSmoke   |   3 respect

keppieboy wrote:
 I would watch

kinda like watching a train wreck?  you just can't not watch! 

8/6/09   |   ILoveSmoke   |   3 respect

I'm a woman and I wouldn't root for her...but then again I've been a Nascar fan for over 20 years...and unfortunately all she'll do is come in...cause a ruckus and leave.  I don't believe she has what it takes to handle a COT...but I could be wrong.  And if she can bring all that you say back to the sport I love then all I can say is Come On In Danica!

8/6/09   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

You might not have a Tampax car, but you might have Depends.

8/6/09   |   keppieboy   |   158 respect

 I would watch