Hundreds attend funeral for Aaron Hernandez murder case victim

7/1/13 in NFL   |   BrianMaddock   |   1429 respect

FanIQ | Sports Rumors, Gossip, Blogs, News & Discussion ForumsAn emotional crowd comprising of hundreds of friends, relatives and teammates of the semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd wept at his funeral this weekend. Many remembered the victim in the Aaron Hernandez murder case as a simple as well as humble man, and the “class clown” who used to bring out the joy in the small things in life.
The Church of the Holy Spirit in Boston’s Mattapan neighborhood was so packed that a significant number of the mourners had to assemble outside for the 2-hour long service. Lloyd’s teammates, dressed up in their Boston Bandits jerseys, chanted Lloyd’s name as pallbearers placed his casket in the back of the hearse.
Lloyd’s sister, Olivia, told the crowd of over 500 mourners that her brother took pride in who he was and how he lived, down to his worn out pair of flip-flops. She also told them that Lloyd did not have a car, so he would ride his bike 20 miles to work and was still devoted to his old-school Blackberry.
The reverend advised the mourners not to “harbor resentment” over Lloyd’s death, while his teammates said they were just hoping for some closure.
"Players are not angry. We have no animosity,” one of the Boston Bandits players, Wendell Delk said. “We just want closure."
Lloyd’s bullet-riddled body was found near Aaron Hernandez’s home on June 17. Hernandez was led away from his North Attleboroough, Mass., home in handcuffs by the police on Wednesday for orchestrating the execution-style shooting.
Hernandez is being held without bond in a Boston jail after pleading not guilty to the first-degree murder charges. Two other men are also in police custody in connection to the slaying. Prosecutors said three men were in a car with Lloyd shortly before his death.
Authorities have said trouble leading to Lloyd’s slaying began on June 14, when Hernandez and Lloyd went to a Boston nightclub. Hernandez reportedly became upset when Lloyd started talking to people Hernandez apparently didn’t like.
Prosecutors said the night before the slaying, Hernandez texted two unidentified friends, asking them to hurry up to Massachusetts from Connecticut. Shortly afterwards, Hernandez told Lloyd he wanted to get together.
Then Hernandez, Carlos Ortiz and Earnest Wallace picked up Lloyd at around 2:30 a.m. June 17, drove to an industrial park area near Hernandez’s home and shot Lloyd five times, according to the prosecutors. Authorities have not disclosed who they believe fired the shots.
However, the prosecutors said that an ammunition clip found later in Hernandez’s Hummer, matched the caliber of the casings found at the crime scene.
Hernandez’s lawyer argued to the court that the case is circumstantial. The day that Hernandez was released by the New England Patriots, his lawyer said that Hernandez hoped to clear his name in the case.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview