Joe Paterno is in grave condition, and near death

It's almost the end of the line for Joe Paterno

1/21/12 in NCAAF   |   Pat   |   5229 respect

We might be seeing the final victim of the Penn State child molestation scandal, as former Nittany Lions coach Joe Paterno is near death, according to sources close to the situation.

Paterno's close friends and family are being asked to visit Paterno at the State College hospital where he has been getting treatment for cancer.

Family spokesman Dan McGinn released a statement to the media requesting privacy for the Paterno family.
 
"Over the last few days Joe Paterno has experienced further health complications. His doctors have now characterized his status as serious. His family will have no comment on the situation and asks that their privacy be respected during this difficult time."

Paterno's health has deteriorated rapidly since he was diagnosed with cancer shortly after the scandal broke in November of last year, and it looks like the toll it has taken on his health may be too much.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

1/22/12   |   derms33   |   17642 respect

Burrellfan1 wrote:
 That is not what is happening at all.  All we know what is happening is that Paterno was diagnosed with lung cancer and then went into the hospital when he developed complications from that cancer, and now he is very ill.  Again, you are coming up with a theory that Paterno is dying because he is no longer coaching football.  

Paterno did not quit coaching, he was fired.  He could have went back into coaching if he wanted to.  Obviously, his declining health is not allowing him to have that option.  Maybe he could have been the coach of the Buccaneers if he didn't get sick.  Again we are back to the suggestion that Paterno got lung cancer because he was fired at Penn State.  When the economy went south, a lot of people were fired.  Did the rate of lung cancer go up during that period?  I wonder how many unemployed people have lung cancer now.  Certainly stress can make symptoms of an illness worse. but it is a big leap to suggest that Paterno developed lung cancer because of stress.  There is a lot of stress in coaching a major football program.  If stress is a cause of lung cancer it is amazing that he went this long before developing lung cancer.

The family kept most of the details private about Paterno's cancer.  The general public had no idea how bad it was, how long he already had it before being diagnosed, and how fast is was spreading if was spreading at all.

I don't believe that is article is about a dying man at all.  That is what the problem is with this article.  It is just about using a person's health crisis to develop a conspiracy theory about why he is in bad health.  I wouldn't be surprised if the next article you write is about how Paterno actually faked his own death and his family moved him to an island in the tropics so the DA office will stop investigating if Paterno was the mastermind of the Sandusky cover-up.

 Did you really say he could "maybe" have been the next coach of Tampa Bay?  Haha...I am pretty sure that not one NFL team would hire an 85 yr old man, who really hasn't coached a game in 10 years, and no NCAA team would even consider him.  But I see your point in what you think the article was trying to say, but I don't think it was PAt's intention at all.  And listening to the endless rubbish on espy they do indeed believe Joe died of a "Broken Heart"...I personally think its Broken lungs, but hey thats just me.  He was 85 and developed lung cancer, an 85 yr old man simply can't beat cancer, his body is not strong enough

1/22/12   |   Burrellfan1   |   24281 respect

Pat wrote:
No, there's no proof. But I also used the word "might." So I'm not saying there is any concrete proof. As others have stated, however, there are often cases where severe stress can cause deteriorated health and hasten effects of disease. Also, Paterno has expressed fear in the past that he wouldn't know what to do with himself if he quit coaching, and thought he might die without it. Coincidence? Perhaps, but that's basically what is happening.

Thanks for completely missing the point, and dragging an article about a dying man into an argument about semantics. You should be proud.

 That is not what is happening at all.  All we know what is happening is that Paterno was diagnosed with lung cancer and then went into the hospital when he developed complications from that cancer, and now he is very ill.  Again, you are coming up with a theory that Paterno is dying because he is no longer coaching football.  

Paterno did not quit coaching, he was fired.  He could have went back into coaching if he wanted to.  Obviously, his declining health is not allowing him to have that option.  Maybe he could have been the coach of the Buccaneers if he didn't get sick.  Again we are back to the suggestion that Paterno got lung cancer because he was fired at Penn State.  When the economy went south, a lot of people were fired.  Did the rate of lung cancer go up during that period?  I wonder how many unemployed people have lung cancer now.  Certainly stress can make symptoms of an illness worse. but it is a big leap to suggest that Paterno developed lung cancer because of stress.  There is a lot of stress in coaching a major football program.  If stress is a cause of lung cancer it is amazing that he went this long before developing lung cancer.

The family kept most of the details private about Paterno's cancer.  The general public had no idea how bad it was, how long he already had it before being diagnosed, and how fast is was spreading if was spreading at all.

I don't believe that is article is about a dying man at all.  That is what the problem is with this article.  It is just about using a person's health crisis to develop a conspiracy theory about why he is in bad health.  I wouldn't be surprised if the next article you write is about how Paterno actually faked his own death and his family moved him to an island in the tropics so the DA office will stop investigating if Paterno was the mastermind of the Sandusky cover-up.

1/22/12   |   Pat   |   5229 respect

1/22/12   |   AlwaysSunshine   |   7342 respect

It has apparently happened this morning....JoePa dies.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7489238/joe-paterno-ex-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-dies-85-2-month-cancer-fight

1/22/12   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

Joe Paterno is 85 years old and has lung cancer. This was inevitable. While last night rumors were untrue, from personal experience (unfortunately), I can say with confidence that this is the beginning of the end. The only thing we don't know is when the end exactly will be.

I definitely never thought the news that Joe Paterno was near death would produce such conflicting feelings internally, that's for sure.

1/22/12   |   Pat   |   5229 respect

Burrellfan1 wrote:
 That is exactly what the article said.  The article mentioned Paterno might be the final victim of the Penn State scandal.  First of all, that is an ignorant statement since there are probably more victims that were abused by Sandusky that have not come forward and may never will.  Secondly, saying that he is a victim of the scandal IS suggesting that his cancer is related to the scandal.  There is no proof of that and there is no proof that the stress caused the complications that occurred during his treatment. 

No, there's no proof. But I also used the word "might." So I'm not saying there is any concrete proof. As others have stated, however, there are often cases where severe stress can cause deteriorated health and hasten effects of disease. Also, Paterno has expressed fear in the past that he wouldn't know what to do with himself if he quit coaching, and thought he might die without it. Coincidence? Perhaps, but that's basically what is happening.

Thanks for completely missing the point, and dragging an article about a dying man into an argument about semantics. You should be proud.

1/22/12   |   derms33   |   17642 respect

wrote:
May GOD have Mercy on his SOUL.......

 God?  I don't think so

1/22/12   |   derms33   |   17642 respect

 Good Riddance

1/22/12   |   Burrellfan1   |   24281 respect

Michael_G wrote:

  That is not what the article said at all. I believe Joe Paterno has been ill for awhile and I'm sure he knew that as well. The man has been the heart and soul of Penn State football for 46 years. This is what he lived for. It was all taken away from him by Jerry Sandusky as Paterno himself said he didn't know how to deal with the situation so he turned it over to people who turned out to be more incompetent, and it seems JoePa may pay the ultimate price. An 85 year old man had his passion taken, it appears he may want to be at peace.

 That is exactly what the article said.  The article mentioned Paterno might be the final victim of the Penn State scandal.  First of all, that is an ignorant statement since there are probably more victims that were abused by Sandusky that have not come forward and may never will.  Secondly, saying that he is a victim of the scandal IS suggesting that his cancer is related to the scandal.  There is no proof of that and there is no proof that the stress caused the complications that occurred during his treatment. 

1/22/12   |   Michael_G   |   36986 respect

Burrellfan1 wrote:
 Who are you-a doctor?  How could you possibly prove that Joe Paterno got cancer because of the Penn State scandal.  You just discovered a new finding-you can get lung cancer from too much stress.  Just because he was diagnosed with cancer shortly after the scandal broke doesn't mean he didn't already have cancer before the scandal broke.  This is a sad story that Joe Paterno is very ill, and you are making it into some conspiracy theory.


  That is not what the article said at all. I believe Joe Paterno has been ill for awhile and I'm sure he knew that as well. The man has been the heart and soul of Penn State football for 46 years. This is what he lived for. It was all taken away from him by Jerry Sandusky as Paterno himself said he didn't know how to deal with the situation so he turned it over to people who turned out to be more incompetent, and it seems JoePa may pay the ultimate price. An 85 year old man had his passion taken, it appears he may want to be at peace.

1/21/12   |   Canadianhick   |   2149 respect

AlwaysSunshine wrote:
CBS originally reported his death.  It appears that they reported it erroneously....

JoePa lives.

Effing media and their bs, trying to rush Joe Pa's death right along.

Death is one topic you shouldn't rush out without being 100% sure..

1/21/12   |   AlwaysSunshine   |   7342 respect

CBS originally reported his death.  It appears that they reported it erroneously....

JoePa lives.

1/21/12   |   AlwaysSunshine   |   7342 respect

I have also heard reports that he is dead.

1/21/12   |   Debi_L   |   11779 respect

Last sentence in the following link states:

"News of Paterno's battle against lung cancer came only days after he was fired."

It seems lots of people think the stress of the scandal may have hastened Joe Pa's illness............

 latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2012/01/joe-paterno-health-continues-decline.html



1/21/12   |   Canadianhick   |   2149 respect

Reports out there that he has passed away.

1/21/12   |   BestofChicago   |   51 respect

 LOL. ^^^

1/21/12   |   Burrellfan1   |   24281 respect

 Who are you-a doctor?  How could you possibly prove that Joe Paterno got cancer because of the Penn State scandal.  You just discovered a new finding-you can get lung cancer from too much stress.  Just because he was diagnosed with cancer shortly after the scandal broke doesn't mean he didn't already have cancer before the scandal broke.  This is a sad story that Joe Paterno is very ill, and you are making it into some conspiracy theory.