Joe Paterno must be fired after Penn State sex abuse scandal

The Penn State Fašade Has Shattered

11/8/11 in NCAAF   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

The horrific things that have come out of Penn State the last few days remain distrubing and indescribable. Nearly all of us have felt a visceral reaction to what came out in the grand jury’s report. If these allegations are true, there is no question that Jerry Sandusky is a monster, and whatever punishment meted out to him is not and will never be enough to pay for his crimes. At the same those, any Penn State officials, up to and including Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, that allowed this to happen should also face justice.

I grew up in South Central Pennsylvania, south of Harrisburg but north of the Maryland border. In term of professional sports loyalty, views are split (my hometown is closer to Baltimore and DC than it is to Philly and Pittsburgh). One thing though is mostly universal: If you’re from that area of Pennsylvania, you are a fan of Penn State football. When Sandusky retired in 1999, I remember a slew of very positive articles in the local paper. I don’t remember the details, but I remember the paper giving him much admiration for both his football work and especially his work with children and The Second Mile.

There’s a lot of talk right now about Joe Paterno’s future, and frankly who gives a *bleep.* The important questions are what did he know, when did he know it, and did he do enough to stop it? The first two questions really can’t be answered right now. The last really can’t either, but the indications are the answer was no. Legally, Paterno appears to be in the clear. Morally though, he’s as much in the muck as the Penn State administration. When you are a teacher of young men, especially one with the respect he once had, this is a breach of trust in the worst possible way, and he must go because of it. Period. Seeing a certain subset of Penn State students vocalize unconditional support for Paterno was nauseating, and I only hope that’s it a certain group of dumb college kids who haven’t grasped the severity of the situation and will one day regret their actions.

Paterno may be the most public figure in this, but Curley, Schultz, and Penn State president Graham Spanier deserve as much, if not more scorn. Of course, the person who deserves the most scorn is Sandusky himself. Let's not forget that.

Initially, I wanted to believe Paterno didn’t do anything wrong. It was a true “Say it ain’t so, Joe” moment. Those feelings passed quickly as the situation developed Saturday afternoon and over the last few days. Did I ever think that the Penn State football program was 100% squeaky clean? No. I figured someday some sort of minor violations would come out, but nothing like what’s happening at Ohio State or Miami, and certainly nothing like this. The confidence I, and so many others, had in that was due to Paterno. He created this belief that these things did not happen at Penn State, and thus that’s how Penn State fans and alums believed. My late aunt graduated from Penn State in 1976 and was a member of the school’s first varsity women’s basketball team. I know she believed it, and I’m damn glad she’s not around to witness this.

I’m not sure if I can support this program anymore, even after everyone involved is inevitably forced out. I may tune in to this week’s game and support the players, who have nothing to do with this. After that, I don’t know, and I’m willing to bet many others feel the same way. Nobody in this position is asking for sympathy, because in the end it doesn’t matter what we think, or what happens to Paterno, or the football team, and maybe not even the university. What matters is at least eight, and now nine, and for all we know more than that, boys were traumatized and had their lives turned upside down by a heinous man they thought they could trust, and that those that had a chance to stop it didn’t.

Penn State University remains a fine academic institution. These events do not change that. However, what we all believed was a bedrock laid down by Joe Paterno and the football team turned about to be a façade that has crumbled and is gone forever. There is no other conclusion other than it was an outcome richly deserved.

Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

11/11/11   |   Miguel94   |   874 respect

Miguel94 wrote:
They all need to face justice. REAL justice. It's somethig I really don't believe exists anymore. No punishment on this earth can make up for what has happened. If this happened to one of my kids....God help them all....He would show mercy....I sure as hell wouldn't....

Yeah, let the victims or the parents of the victims at him. That would be justice. These people cannot be rehabilitated, they need to be dealt with accordingly because they are sick. They need to be locked away forever or killed.

11/11/11   |   derms33   |   17645 respect

Eric_ wrote:
Sandusky killing himself is the easy way out. That won't allow justice to be sought.

still, everyone would feel better

11/10/11   |   godlyke_soilder   |   77 respect

Finally an article in this blog polluted web world we live in that actually points the finger in the right direction and people. 

11/10/11   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

derms33 wrote:
BTW, hope Jerry Sandusky kills himself...save the State of PA some money.  And if you think I am cruel, F*U*.  The man doesn't deserve to take in oxygen.  No crime is is worse than what he did.  And this is not alleged, these are facts.  If it was 1 allegation ok, not 40.  I urge you to read some disturbing praise of sandusky in some earlier articles posted about him.  "Never saw a man take a more hands on approach with kids"...um yeah this has been going on for a long time.  The amount of lives affected by this is tragic.  Happy Valley my a$$

Sandusky killing himself is the easy way out. That won't allow justice to be sought.

11/10/11   |   derms33   |   17645 respect

Miguel94 wrote:
They all need to face justice. REAL justice. It's somethig I really don't believe exists anymore. No punishment on this earth can make up for what has happened. If this happened to one of my kids....God help them all....He would show mercy....I sure as hell wouldn't....

castration perhaps?

11/10/11   |   Miguel94   |   874 respect

They all need to face justice. REAL justice. It's somethig I really don't believe exists anymore. No punishment on this earth can make up for what has happened. If this happened to one of my kids....God help them all....He would show mercy....I sure as hell wouldn't....

11/10/11   |   derms33   |   17645 respect

Hey Joe, why's Jerry in the shower?  Huh, HUh, what You say???  Oh Because Jerry's a dirty old man."   THINGS OVERHEARD IN A PSU Lockerroom

11/9/11   |   derms33   |   17645 respect

BTW, hope Jerry Sandusky kills himself...save the State of PA some money.  And if you think I am cruel, F*U*.  The man doesn't deserve to take in oxygen.  No crime is is worse than what he did.  And this is not alleged, these are facts.  If it was 1 allegation ok, not 40.  I urge you to read some disturbing praise of sandusky in some earlier articles posted about him.  "Never saw a man take a more hands on approach with kids"...um yeah this has been going on for a long time.  The amount of lives affected by this is tragic.  Happy Valley my a$$

11/9/11   |   derms33   |   17645 respect

(Edited by derms33)

If any1 defends JoePa as a good man, or coach or mentor that are just as diluted as he is.  This is not a bout what Paterno has done, its about what he didn't do.  THE KIDS JOE,, THE KIDS...remember them?  You (coaches)pride yourselves on molding them... good job

11/9/11   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

Graham Spanier has resigned, and Joe Paterno has been removed as head coach, effectively immediately. Tom Bradley has been named interim coach. The needed purging has begun.

11/9/11   |   Mark_Guerrero   |   91 respect

Zack_attack wrote:
If an old lady goin after young men is considered a cougar. Is an old man going after a young boy a nittany lion?

I ain't gonna lie that made me crack up

11/9/11   |   Dream_Machine   |   13265 respect

Zack_attack wrote:
If an old lady goin after young men is considered a cougar. Is an old man going after a young boy a nittany lion?

Oh No You Didn't...

11/9/11   |   Zack_attack   |   100 respect

If an old lady goin after young men is considered a cougar. Is an old man going after a young boy a nittany lion?

11/9/11   |   kobe_lova   |   61937 respect

I don't think I have the energy to read about this again, but I'm marking the place just in case.

11/8/11   |   Debi_L   |   11862 respect

 " What matters is at least eight, and now nine, and for all we know more than that, boys were traumatized and had their lives turned upside down by a heinous man they thought they could trust, and that those that had a chance to stop it didn’t."

AMEN!

Well done Eric.

11/8/11   |   Michael_G   |   37909 respect

Well said