Joe Sakic Joins Derrick Rose In The Stupid Injuries Of The Week Club
Well, Joe Sakic of the Colorado Avalanche somehow broke three fingers in a snow blower accident yesterday and will be out at least three months. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that what Sakic did was stick his fingers somewhere where they clearly shouldn't have been - like say, near the blade area.
This injury is actually worse than Rose's, because Rose was stitched right back up and hasn't missed a game. So cheers to you, Joe. I thought no one could possibly top Rose's incredibly stupid injury this week, but you've gone above and beyond the call of duty.
Anyway, in honor of both dolts, here's a look back at the greatest (or worst or most most hilarious) injuries of all time. Enjoy.
* St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Vince Coleman injured his knee when he was run over by the animated field tarp apparatus before the 1985 World Series.
* Sacramento Kings rookie Lionel Simmons missed some games during the 1991 season when he developed tendinitis in his right wrist from playing too many video games, primarily the Nintendo GameBoy.
* Atlanta's John Smoltz once burned himself while ironing a shirt. Apparently Smoltz was wearing the shirt at the time. [This is not true by the way, but an urban legend]
* Ken Griffey Jr. once missed a game for the Mariners when he pinched himself with his protective cup.
* San Diego pitcher Adam Eaton missed a 2001 start when he stabbed himself in the stomach while trying to cut the shrink-wrap off a DVD.
* Tom Glavine, then with the Atlanta Braves, broke a rib when he threw up an in-flight meal on an airplane.
* Former NHL goaltender Glenn Healy missed time between the pipes after he cut his finger while attempting to repair bagpipes.
* Wade Boggs injured his back while trying to pull on cowboy boots.
* Arizona kicker Bill Gramatica suffered a season-ending injury when he tore his ACL celebrating a successful field goal.
* Hall of Famer George Brett broke his toe when he tripped running from the kitchen to the living room to watch a baseball game replay of himself on TV.
* Colorado's Larry Walker separated his shoulder while fishing.
* Pitcher Carlos Perez broke his nose in a car accident - he was trying to pass the team bus at the time.
* Sammy Sosa had to go on injured reserve when he hurt his back while sneezing.
* David Cone missed a start when his mother-in-law's dog bit him.
* Jacksonville punter Chris Hanson needed stitches after a wayward swing with an ax at a tree stump that was placed in the locker room for motivational purposes.
* Latrell Sprewell broke his hand when he tripped and fell of his yacht in 2002.
* Nolan Ryan once missed a start because he was bitten by a coyote.
* Washington QB Gus Ferotte was taken to the hospital with a jammed neck after he head-butted the end zone concrete wall while celebrating a touchdown.
* Tony Gwynn fractured a finger when he slammed his car door on his hand.
* Muggsy Bogues missed the second half of an NBA game after unintentionally inhaling ointment fumes during a halftime treatment.
* Boston's Craig Grebeck had to leave a game after rubbing his eye with a finger that had stick-em on it.
* Back in the 70s, Norwegian International defender Svein Grondalen had to withdraw from an International after an accident which happened while he was out jogging. He collided with a moose.
* Soccer player David Seaman once broke a bone reaching for his TV remote
* In 1970 the career of Brentford's goalie Chic Brodie was ended by injury following a mid-match collision with a dog that had invaded the pitch.
* Soccer player Milan Rapaic once missed the start of Hajduk Split's season after sticking his boarding-pass in his eye at the airport.
* Indonesian star Mistar, 25, was tragically killed by a herd of pigs that invaded his team's training pitch before a Cup fixture in 1995.
* And of course Plaxico Burress, who shot himself in the leg at a club...because he didn't have his safety on and was using his sweatpants as a holster.