John Calipari is best recruiter in america, could make UK contender for title

John Calipari Is The Best Recruiter In America, Could Make UK A Title Contender Almost Immediately

5/7/09 in NCAABB   |   Bravesfan23   |   0 respect

Its never been a suprise that John Calipari is a great coach and even more a great recruiter.  Its evident in just the short time that he has been in Lexington.  The Big Blue Nation is a group of people who expect greatness and EXPECT to be in Final Fours and contend for National Titles on a consistent basis.  After the debacle that was Billy Gillispie in two short years at Kentucky, the school had to go in another direction.  John Calipari was so highly regarded by the Wildcats that they decided to make him the highest paid coach in the NCAA.  Besides all that, he has a knack of recruiting players that excel in his dribble-drive offense, an offense that players love to play because it translates well to the NBA.  Many are saying that Calipari could assemble better talent and appear in more National Championship games that heralded Rick Pitino did in Kentucky, though that remains to be seen.  As many people would say, the "proof is in the pudding" and it sure seems to be alot of it in Lexington.  As it stands right now, the Wildcats have three 5-star prospects and two 4-star prospects. 

Rivals.com rankings in Top 150 in parentheses

DeMarcus Cousins PF 6-9/250lbs (five star recruit #2 overall)
Daniel Orton C 6-10/260lbs (five star recruit #22 overall)
Eric Bledsoe PG 6-1/185lbs (five star recruit #23 overall)

Jon Hood SG 6-6/185lbs (four star recruit #40 overall)
Darnell Dodson SF 6-7/215lbs (four star recruit)

With all of this talent that is assembled in Kentucky, Calipari has almost certainly vaulted to one of the top teams in the country next year.  What's even more scary is that the top recruit in the nation, PG John Wall is still considering Kentucky.  If you add him to the mix, you would have to believe the Wildcats could be a preseason favorite to win the National Title.  Even though the Wildcats had to overpay to get Calipari to become the coach, they know that the upside is HUGE and that what he brings to the table can outweigh any amount of money that they pay him in the longrun.  We have still yet to talk about the possible return of Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks to the team as well.  If they return, the Wildcats would almost have to be the preseason favorite to win the title and all of it can rest on the broad shoulders of coach John Calipari.


Calipari's Recruiting Skills May Be Unmatched [Beyond The Arc]
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

5/29/09   |   Tarheel23_GOAT   |   11 respect

Drakesrake_77 wrote:
 Your entire post is filled with inaccuracies.  First of all, UNC is in rebuilding mode because they lost their ENTIRE backcourt and most of their front court (at least those with any real playing time last year)  UK will return Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson, along with Stevenson and Harris.  They have THE BEST RECRUITING CLASS IN HISTORY, giving them so much more depth and talent than UNC next year!  

You just sound like another jealous idiot that hates that Coach Calipari has found a home at the WINNINGEST COLLEGE PROGRAM IN HISTORY.  And he's gonna keep it that way.  No one outside of Kentucky wants to see them DOMINATING the league like they used to and your just another hater.  Your only real argument is Kansas, who are going to be Kentucky's only rival at the top of the NCAA next year.  Louisville, Oaklahoma State, Texas, Villinove, MSU WILL ALL BE WAY BETTER THAN UNC.  Yeah, UNC is at the top right now, but they won't make it outta the second round next year.

 And did you play for UNC last year?  You keep saying "we" like you were on the team.  

Ok first off i was born a Tarheel second of all i will always be a Tarheel and 3rd UNC is one of  the GREATEST COLLEGE BASKETBALL PROGRAMS IN THE NATION !!!!! now im not knocking UK i just dont like Cal, one of my good friends from High School played for UK football and UK is a GOOD PROGRAM, it's just CAl is a dirty coach in my eyes and the history speaks on it .Now as for anything else the other teams u have said that will be better than UNC as u put it but the the thing u dont get is that my Tarheels will make it to the tourney and maybe win the ACC but the ACC looks real good again this year but anyway this is about your coach,can tell u are not a real CBB fan u just talk hype because on any giving day anyone of the teams u have spoke of can beat each other. U just make it sound like Coach Cal can win a national title this year? and that just wont happen the other schools have damn good if not BETTER talent than UK  right now .If Cal is so damn good how come he cant win a national title at U Mass or Memphis ? if he is so good why everytime he leaves a program he is in the public eye ? and when i say "WE" I speak of THE TARHEEL NATION something u dont know about . When it comes to CBB period UK will be good but they wont be all that everyone is hyping them up to be right now and since u want to shoot stats and insults and win this lose that type stuff answer this who is the national champion as of right now ? who is second all time 73.6 winnining percentage 6 championship(1924 doesnt count) but 5 along with IU(5) and UK(7 last championship was how long ago ?) u talk all this stat bs back and forth we can go at it but the point is these are two well respected programs but its fans like u that go about it wrong i just simply said i dont like Coach Cal and never will and that UK will not win a national title this year !! just remember 77-58 11/18/08 and learn CBB first then say something 

5/29/09   |   Bravesfan23

Drakesrake_77 wrote:
 Your entire post is filled with inaccuracies.  First of all, UNC is in rebuilding mode because they lost their ENTIRE backcourt and most of their front court (at least those with any real playing time last year)  UK will return Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson, along with Stevenson and Harris.  They have THE BEST RECRUITING CLASS IN HISTORY, giving them so much more depth and talent than UNC next year!  

You just sound like another jealous idiot that hates that Coach Calipari has found a home at the WINNINGEST COLLEGE PROGRAM IN HISTORY.  And he's gonna keep it that way.  No one outside of Kentucky wants to see them DOMINATING the league like they used to and your just another hater.  Your only real argument is Kansas, who are going to be Kentucky's only rival at the top of the NCAA next year.  Louisville, Oaklahoma State, Texas, Villinove, MSU WILL ALL BE WAY BETTER THAN UNC.  Yeah, UNC is at the top right now, but they won't make it outta the second round next year.

 And did you play for UNC last year?  You keep saying "we" like you were on the team.  

   I agree with alot of your statements man.  I will say that two teams that will give the nation a reason to watch other than UK will be Kansas and Michigan State.  MSU didn't really lose anyone and Kansas practically reloaded.  Addin Xavier Henry to that team will help the Jayhawks.  But yeah, I don't know who this guy is talking about Coach Calipari like that.  I swear there are so many HATERS out there it ridiculous!  I get people saying that it is bad for the NCAA basketball community for a team to have this much talent...and I am like WTF?!  Just because a coach is a great recruiter and the kids wanna come play at UK, that makes him a bad guy?  I don't buy that.  What people fail to realize is that ultimately, its up to the kids to make their choice...not the coach.  All he does is try to sell the university and the program to the kid.  What I think is funny is that everyone loves the Tar Heels when they have a huge recruiting class less than what UK has this year but with what UK has now, everyone is villifying them.  Not a lot of sense to me.  It is tough to argue with a team that has 4 five-star recruits and 2 four-star recruits...not to mention the #1 and #2 players in the nation.  People needs to just shut up about the recruiting and move on.  I think as long as Calipari is at UK, the recruiting classes may not be this loaded from year to year but look for possibly a top 5 recruiting class alomost every offseason.

5/29/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

Tarheel23_GOAT wrote:
I would like to say that UK #1 preseason, I dont think so, 1st off their are several other teams out there that make UK look dumb(my Tarheels which UK hasn't beat in how long ?)Kansas which i dont like but respect looks alot better than UK, Coach Cal is bum in my eyes because all u memphis hyped yourselves like you are the greatest team ever your sorry ass is in the Conference USA omg alot of NCAA tourney teams so getting Coach Cal makes UK a notional Continder yeah right just like last year my tarheels was picked number 1 and we didnt let that get to our heads like everyone else (UK fans) we played each game win or lose and played dominate in the tourney and showed that the pressure did hurt us or harm just made us better. UK will not let me say it again WILL NOT get a national title hell Roy Williams will have another title before Cal gets his first LMAO and thats true. I keep reading all this about UK but the other teams out there that are way better than UK and thats disrespectful 2 me because these other teams played a hell of alot better than any Coach Cal team so in other words Coach Cal is a BUM
(Edited by Drakesrake_77)

 Your entire post is filled with inaccuracies.  First of all, UNC is in rebuilding mode because they lost their ENTIRE backcourt and most of their front court (at least those with any real playing time last year)  UK will return Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson, along with Stevenson and Harris.  They have THE BEST RECRUITING CLASS IN HISTORY, giving them so much more depth and talent than UNC next year!  

You just sound like another jealous idiot that hates that Coach Calipari has found a home at the WINNINGEST COLLEGE PROGRAM IN HISTORY.  And he's gonna keep it that way.  No one outside of Kentucky wants to see them DOMINATING the league like they used to and your just another hater.  Your only real argument is Kansas, who are going to be Kentucky's only rival at the top of the NCAA next year.  Louisville, Oaklahoma State, Texas, Villinove, MSU WILL ALL BE WAY BETTER THAN UNC.  Yeah, UNC is at the top right now, but they won't make it outta the second round next year.

 And did you play for UNC last year?  You keep saying "we" like you were on the team.  

5/29/09   |   Tarheel23_GOAT   |   11 respect

I would like to say that UK #1 preseason, I dont think so, 1st off their are several other teams out there that make UK look dumb(my Tarheels which UK hasn't beat in how long ?)Kansas which i dont like but respect looks alot better than UK, Coach Cal is bum in my eyes because all u memphis hyped yourselves like you are the greatest team ever your sorry ass is in the Conference USA omg alot of NCAA tourney teams so getting Coach Cal makes UK a notional Continder yeah right just like last year my tarheels was picked number 1 and we didnt let that get to our heads like everyone else (UK fans) we played each game win or lose and played dominate in the tourney and showed that the pressure did hurt us or harm just made us better. UK will not let me say it again WILL NOT get a national title hell Roy Williams will have another title before Cal gets his first LMAO and thats true. I keep reading all this about UK but the other teams out there that are way better than UK and thats disrespectful 2 me because these other teams played a hell of alot better than any Coach Cal team so in other words Coach Cal is a BUM

5/9/09   |   RossKYcats

Dream_Machine wrote:
Possible #1 High School Recruit And #2 On Hand Plus 2 5-star And 2 4-star Recruits...College Basketball God At The Moment...But With All That Star Power Never Did Anyone Any Good... Never! These Kids Will Never Mesh Well To Even Smell A National Title...

Just a lil reply to dream_machine..  UK wont mesh? Wont smell a NCAA title?  LMFAO..  Pleeeeaseeee!! Get real dude. We seemed to have meshed well in 1996 with coach Pricktino.. HMMM  Seems to be just as much talent this yr as in 96. We not only smelled the title but we TASTED IT!!  You must be a Tardinal fan or a Billy Gilispie lover ( A.K.A.  NIT Billy ).  Maybe you should stick to baseball because you know jack sh*t about UK basketball.  GO CATS!!

5/9/09   |   RossKYcats

Dream_Machine wrote:
Possible #1 High School Recruit And #2 On Hand Plus 2 5-star And 2 4-star Recruits...College Basketball God At The Moment...But With All That Star Power Never Did Anyone Any Good... Never! These Kids Will Never Mesh Well To Even Smell A National Title...


5/9/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

THE_Smoot wrote:
I think it'll take a little time for the freshman to develop. I doubt UK wins the title this year, but if they stick around next year, UK will be the preseason favorites to win it all (in 10-11).

True about the development factor, but one thing I would point out is UK will lose their senior leadership in 2010-2011.  No doubt that Patterson is gone after this year and Harris, Stevenson, Galloway, and Meeks (if he comes back) will all be gone, leaving Darius Miller and whoever else stays from last year's freshman class as the only upperclassmen on the team.  I don't know if they will be favored to win it all or not, but it's fun to speculate. : ) 

5/9/09   |   THE_Smoot   |   70 respect

I think it'll take a little time for the freshman to develop. I doubt UK wins the title this year, but if they stick around next year, UK will be the preseason favorites to win it all (in 10-11).

5/8/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

NittanyJon wrote:
Yes, he's one of the best recruiters in the country. He recruits...............thugs, the bottom of the barrel.
(Edited by Drakesrake_77)

Personally,  I find that people who use the term "thugs" to describe young black athletes, are hiding something.  That's all I'm gonna say, and Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans are hardley the bottom of the barrel.  You watch and see how his recruits do this year and how their teams do nothing but win win win....

5/8/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

Bravesfan23 wrote:
   Well I gotta think the Wildcats have to be a preseason top 5 team right now with the team as it stands now.  I am not even counting the fact of Meeks and Patterson returning yet.  If they do, they WILL be a preseason top 5 team.  As I said in the article that I wrote, there is still a possibility that John Wall could come to Lexington.  I understand the argument that some people will say that there is too much talent but I just don't buy into that.  It is never a bad thing to have alot of talent on a team.  But I see what you are saying about how they look on paper and how they play in real life is totally different.  I am just saying as a big Kentucky Wildcats fan, the people here have a big reason to be happy!

Check out this link!! UK's recruiting class has now been upgraded to #1 on Rivals.com!
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=943852

5/8/09   |   Aceraison   |   183 respect

djjfrench wrote:
 Sorry I'm just skipping by everyone to comment...reason is I going to guess most agree because of 3 things. 1. It's UK it does have prestige 2. Cap is a beast in the rrecruiting office and 3. with the SEC so so down it seems any kids he gets with talent will be tourney ready by beating okay to sub-par comp with some heavy games mixed in.

I know what you're saying about the SEC being down. Last season was a big let down for the conference. But the Cats always play a tough non conference schedule so hopefully they can get some good experience there.  Calipari has a different style from what most of the SEC teams are used to.  Should be pretty exciting.

5/8/09   |   DigitalSquire   |   1 respect

 If Wall commits there Calipari may win it all. Im just hugely surprised that Memphis let all the commitments go without a fight.  Took a lot of guts to do that by their new head coach.

5/8/09   |   NittanyJon   |   247 respect

(Edited by NittanyJon)

Why is every fan base now called ____ Nation? How original ! A Boston Globe columnist came up with the moniker and now every fan/columnist feels they need to use a variation to elevate the profile of a particular team and/or region. How about the "Bluegrass Faithful"? That's just off the top of my head.

5/8/09   |   NittanyJon   |   247 respect

Yes, he's one of the best recruiters in the country. He recruits...............thugs, the bottom of the barrel.

5/8/09   |   Dream_Machine   |   13456 respect

Drakesrake_77 wrote:

Oh yeah!?!  I call bulls--t on that one Dream Machine! Try, for example, the 34-2, 1996 NCAA Champion Kentucky Wildcats.  The "Untouchables", with players like Tony Delk, Mark Pope, Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer, Walter McCarty, Derek Anderson, and Nazr Mohammed, who were all, without doubt "all star powers" and they all later went on to play in the NBA; .  What about the talented group in Florida that just won back to back Championships in 2006 & 2007! They had a lineup packed full of NBA talent! Is your argument really that too much talent is BAD for a team? Get real man.

Point Taken!  ... Sure, I Will Get Real When You Calm The F--K Down! No Offense, I Feel The Same Way When Someone Talks About One Of My Favorite Teams, But Seriously... It's Just An Opinion... And You Can Make Yours Just Like I Made Mine... Take A Chill Pill!

5/7/09   |   djjfrench   |   67 respect

 Sorry I'm just skipping by everyone to comment...reason is I going to guess most agree because of 3 things. 1. It's UK it does have prestige 2. Cap is a beast in the rrecruiting office and 3. with the SEC so so down it seems any kids he gets with talent will be tourney ready by beating okay to sub-par comp with some heavy games mixed in.

5/7/09   |   WhoDey   |   6 respect

And the #1 player later this month..

5/7/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

wrote:
I chose not to comment, funny or otherwise, on this subject, lest I be subjected to a rash of passionate, over-the-top Kentucky fans.

Wow, Good luck Calipari, the natives are restless.

WHO YOU CALLING RASH!?!?! I'LL KILL YA' YOU DIRTY MOTHA-

: )

5/7/09   |   C130FE

Im not buying off on Kentucky right now. I loved Calipari when he was here at Memphis, but bringing in all that talent at the same time may not work in his favor. If players stick around for more than one year he can teach a lot, but for one and done players (which is why top recruits go to him), I don't think they learn a whole lot in that span (Besides Rose, he's just that good). He gets these top recruits and lets them go continue their style of play they did in HS. Don't get me wrong, I plan to see them in March, but I don't see it being a hot start at all...

5/7/09   |   Bravesfan23

Scott wrote:
I dont know if I would go as far as to annoint them the preseason favorites to win the NCAA championship but on paper, Calipari has a nice collection of talent headed to Lexington.

   Well I gotta think the Wildcats have to be a preseason top 5 team right now with the team as it stands now.  I am not even counting the fact of Meeks and Patterson returning yet.  If they do, they WILL be a preseason top 5 team.  As I said in the article that I wrote, there is still a possibility that John Wall could come to Lexington.  I understand the argument that some people will say that there is too much talent but I just don't buy into that.  It is never a bad thing to have alot of talent on a team.  But I see what you are saying about how they look on paper and how they play in real life is totally different.  I am just saying as a big Kentucky Wildcats fan, the people here have a big reason to be happy!

5/7/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

I guess Northwestern fans don't have to worry about recruiting too much talent!  That been working out for you so far?!?

5/7/09   |   Drakesrake_77   |   82 respect

Dream_Machine wrote:
Possible #1 High School Recruit And #2 On Hand Plus 2 5-star And 2 4-star Recruits...College Basketball God At The Moment...But With All That Star Power Never Did Anyone Any Good... Never! These Kids Will Never Mesh Well To Even Smell A National Title...
(Edited by Drakesrake_77)

Oh yeah!?!  I call bulls--t on that one Dream Machine! Try, for example, the 34-2, 1996 NCAA Champion Kentucky Wildcats.  The "Untouchables", with players like Tony Delk, Mark Pope, Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer, Walter McCarty, Derek Anderson, and Nazr Mohammed, who were all, without doubt "all star powers" and they all later went on to play in the NBA; .  What about the talented group in Florida that just won back to back Championships in 2006 & 2007! They had a lineup packed full of NBA talent! Is your argument really that too much talent is BAD for a team? Get real man.

5/7/09   |   Scott   |   54664 respect

I dont know if I would go as far as to annoint them the preseason favorites to win the NCAA championship but on paper, Calipari has a nice collection of talent headed to Lexington.

5/7/09   |   Dream_Machine   |   13456 respect

Possible #1 High School Recruit And #2 On Hand Plus 2 5-star And 2 4-star Recruits...College Basketball God At The Moment...But With All That Star Power Never Did Anyone Any Good... Never! These Kids Will Never Mesh Well To Even Smell A National Title...

5/7/09   |   THE_Smoot   |   70 respect

I wish.

They better not screw up somehow.