Jose Canseco Press Conference On Manny Ramirez Attended By One Reporter

Apparently Everyone Is Tired Of Jose Canseco Being Right About Steroids, Which Is A Bit Of A Shame

5/8/09 in MLB   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect



When I first saw the picture above, I really thought it was photoshopped. But it turns out that it's real.

After yet another one of Jose Canseco's dominoes fell - by which I mean Manny Ramirez - Canseco held a press conference at the Beverly Hills Four Seasons.

[Just for some background: Canseco said there was a 90% chance that Manny was on the 2003 list of 104 players who tested positive for steroids, and while that didn't happen, Ramirez almost certainly did steroids at some point.]

As you can see, it was attended by one lone reporter, who was from the AP.

While part of me is laughing hysterically, another part of me is actually saddened by this. As weird of a guy as Canseco has been since he retired, he's quite literally the only guy who's been right on the button when it comes to steroids. This is the one person who really has any credibility on the subject, not Selig, and he's completely ignored now. I mean, he nailed A-Rod when EVERYONE was saying only A-Rod could save the game from Bonds' tainted home run record.

Now yes, Canseco used the press conference to talk about how he was blackballed from the game (even though he played for 17 years) but he also said that MLB officials, the players’ union and others profited from the success of players who used steroids, knew what was going on, and have pretty much failed to do anything about it. And he's right.

I think the truth of the matter here is that we like people who break bombshell style stories like steroids in baseball to be moral upstanding citizens. Canseco is not that. But it doesn't make his words any less true.

Mark Felt, known as "Deep Throat", helped guide Woodward and Berstein to evidence and stories that pushed an increasingly corrupt and nuts Richard Nixon out of office. It turned out Felt wasn't doing this for the good of the nation, he was doing it because Nixon had appointed a guy to be head of the FBI instead of him. He was pissed.

The world is not a perfect place. Sometimes unsavory or vengeful characters help us discover the most important truths. If we ignore them even after they've been proven right every time, then we ignore them at our own peril.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

5/10/09   |   ML31   |   3615 respect

wrote:
It's because that was too obvious. He wants to sell his word remember? You wont sell much if you say you have some people's names and Barry Bonds and his trainer are all you have when there is already an investigation would you?

Not so.  The reason is because he only named people he was damn certain were using either because they were teammates or they shared some other kind of loose association.  When asked about Bonds, he always said he didn't know for sure.

5/9/09   |   ML31   |   3615 respect

How do you know Ramierez wasn't on the 2003 list?  The names on that list have not been released.

Plus, I find it interesting that in all this Canseco naming names stuff, he never fingered the steroid generation's whipping boy, Barry Bonds. 

5/8/09   |   peachochuncadaro

joshsanchez wrote:
I'm guessing he had a ridiculous cover charge for his press conference or it was probably $100 dollars a question.

you all suck

5/8/09   |   sportsnut22

I agree... and want to know why not a single reporter showed up at the press conference because jose will hock his book anyway he can

5/8/09   |   snbslugger

100%InjuryRate wrote:
I'm not calling him the Paragon of Virtue, I'm just saying, to ignore him is foolish, regardless of his motivations. He knows more about steroids than anyone else, including Bud Selig.

I think Bud Selig knows more than he lets on, but I would agree Canseco has been much more forthcoming. He should head up the MLBPA.  That would be a laugh a minute.

5/8/09   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

I wish I lived near Beverly Hills, I gladly would have gone and covered that press conference and probably got a question in

5/8/09   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

snbslugger wrote:
And to think if he was able to catch on with a team to get those last few homers for 500, he wouldn't have said a word.

Canseco may have been right, but I'm a little reluctant to crown him our Paragon of Virtue just yet.  He did this out of spite and to profit from a book he was trying to sell.  Even though he's been truthful and accurate, even his motives are less than genuine.

I would hope at this point most guys would just come clean.  If an intensely private and guarded person like A-Rod can be caught, you're pretty much screwed.

I'm not calling him the Paragon of Virtue, I'm just saying, to ignore him is foolish, regardless of his motivations. He knows more about steroids than anyone else, including Bud Selig.

5/8/09   |   Raider_Dave   |   47 respect

joshsanchez wrote:
I'm guessing he had a ridiculous cover charge for his press conference or it was probably $100 dollars a question.

Love the continuous dumping on Canseco by Josh.  It's alright, he'd be lucky to get an intervew anyways.  He did have to set up a highly popular media frenzy press conference all by himself, apparently when one guy was already in the room taking a nap.

5/8/09   |   joshsanchez   |   57 respect

I'm guessing he had a ridiculous cover charge for his press conference or it was probably $100 dollars a question.

5/8/09   |   Raider_Dave   |   47 respect

snbslugger wrote:
And to think if he was able to catch on with a team to get those last few homers for 500, he wouldn't have said a word.

Canseco may have been right, but I'm a little reluctant to crown him our Paragon of Virtue just yet.  He did this out of spite and to profit from a book he was trying to sell.  Even though he's been truthful and accurate, even his motives are less than genuine.

I would hope at this point most guys would just come clean.  If an intensely private and guarded person like A-Rod can be caught, you're pretty much screwed.

"his motives are less than genuine"

Bingo.

If he didn't go about this all like a money-grubbing douche, it would be viewed in an entirely different light.  Guys won't come clean on their own because if they are still getting away with it, then why would they?  I agree that is the best course of action, but as Andy Pettitte proved, even if you are outed, you can just come out (immediately), apologize and give the regretful blah blah blah speech and come out completely unscathed.  I think that will be the way it goes, but while guys are still playing, they are never going to come out on their own.  Five, ten years down the line, sure, because they aren't in the spotlight anymore and the news will subside much more quickly.

5/8/09   |   kwheels

canseco may be a di## but he would be tha go to guy to have knowledge on steroids

5/8/09   |   snbslugger

Raider_Dave wrote:
Canseco, while a complete and total mega-douche, seemed to erase all credibility when "Juiced" first came out.  Now, his persona along with his antics since the book was published, have led to him continually being a laughinstock, despite his dead-on accuracy thus far.  There's no doubt the guy has been right about EVERYTHING so far, but his personality and the way he has gone about things recently have made him more of an afterthought in the steroids witch hunt.

And to think if he was able to catch on with a team to get those last few homers for 500, he wouldn't have said a word.

Canseco may have been right, but I'm a little reluctant to crown him our Paragon of Virtue just yet.  He did this out of spite and to profit from a book he was trying to sell.  Even though he's been truthful and accurate, even his motives are less than genuine.

I would hope at this point most guys would just come clean.  If an intensely private and guarded person like A-Rod can be caught, you're pretty much screwed.

5/8/09   |   Raider_Dave   |   47 respect

Canseco, while a complete and total mega-douche, seemed to erase all credibility when "Juiced" first came out.  Now, his persona along with his antics since the book was published, have led to him continually being a laughinstock, despite his dead-on accuracy thus far.  There's no doubt the guy has been right about EVERYTHING so far, but his personality and the way he has gone about things recently have made him more of an afterthought in the steroids witch hunt.