Keith Law managed to turn the MVP voting into something about him

Repeal Keith Law

11/15/13 in MLB   |   PAULLEBOWITZ   |   109 respect

Oct 17, 2013; Detroit, MI, USA; Detroit Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera (24) grounds into a run scoring double play against the Boston Red Sox during the seventh inning in game five of the American League Championship Series baseball game at Comerica Park. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY SportsTigers’ third baseman Miguel Cabrera won the American League MVP. Pirates’ center fielder Andrew
McCutchen won the National League MVP. In the midst of all of the congratulations passed around, Keith Law was throwing a self-indulgent tantrum on Twitter. Whether it was for attention the kind that Kim Kardashian gets when she posts a half-naked picture of herself or if he truly believes that the award is invalid unless he approves of it is known only to him. I don’t understand is why anyone cares what Law says in the first place, but that’s neither here nor there.
 
The first explosion was because Cabrera won the award over Mike Trout. The second was because two St. Louis area writers picked Cardinals’ catcher Yadier Molina first on their ballots over McCutchen. It rose in intensity until Law, as is his wont, went into his predictable step-by-step template of arrogance and pomposity by:
  • Telling those who disagreed with him how wrong they were.
  • Implying that anyone who dared think differently than him was a brainless moron.
  • Puffed up by saying that it’s his job to watch baseball games and insinuating that those who aren’t paid for watching baseball games are somehow unqualified to present an opinion on the subject.
 
There must be a Latin phrase that Law being paid for his analysis doesn’t automatically denote credibility. I'm sure Law knows it, but won't use it because it would chip away at his foundation of expertise.

The tantrum itself was ridiculous. Trout is 22-years-old; Law is 40. I sincerely doubt that Trout threw 10 percent of the raving, crying, breath-holding until he turns blue, screaming session that Law did publicly on social media. It's indicative of a reality that few care to see. 
 
Is there a basis to say that Trout is the MVP? To question why only the St. Louis voters picked Molina as their choice? Of course. Does it warrant the pay attention to meeeeeeeee!!!! wailing that came from Law in its aftermath? No.

Even when he tries to tone down his rhetoric by inserting the phrase, “In my opinion” rather than the unsaid but clearly present between the lines, “Hey moron, you’re wrong and your opinion is meaningless because you don’t get paid for your analysis,” it still comes out sounding like a statement beginning with, “Hey moron…”
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

11/21/13   |   PAULLEBOWITZ   |   109 respect

thomasdm2 wrote:
Do you realize the irony in writing a column complaining about someone else complaining?  Also, I can tell that you do not read what Keith writes because you make the case that he used WAR to formulate his opinions.  Mike Trout was a much more valuable player because he contributed more value defensively, and on the base paths while player a far more difficult position.  It does not take an intellectual to figure that out, just someone who has two eyes and access to a computer (it's also pretty obvious just by watching them both play).  It also does not require the WAR statistic to figure out.  It requires the same logical ability as realizing that $15 is more valuable than $10.  You could argue that money is subject to interpretation (just like Cabrera voters argue that value in baseball is), but nobody would have much respect for that argument.  Same thing applies here.  You, and everyone else, are entitled to an opinion, but Law is entitled to call you opinion that you are wrong (which anyone familiar with simple statistics and logic knows you are).

So everyone is entitled to an opinion about a situation in which there are no clear-cut rules to selecting an award winner (the point of my posting that went flying over your head like an analysis that doesn't come from a computer) but Law's and apparently your opinions are "right?" 
I don't think you read what I write. I think you skim and start formulating a response about what you say I said when it's not what I said at all. The idea of me saying it's not the WAR award is to hammer home the reality that there's no baseline criteria to give the award to begin with, therefore there can't be a right or wrong.
 

11/21/13   |   thomasdm2

Do you realize the irony in writing a column complaining about someone else complaining?  Also, I can tell that you do not read what Keith writes because you make the case that he used WAR to formulate his opinions.  Mike Trout was a much more valuable player because he contributed more value defensively, and on the base paths while player a far more difficult position.  It does not take an intellectual to figure that out, just someone who has two eyes and access to a computer (it's also pretty obvious just by watching them both play).  It also does not require the WAR statistic to figure out.  It requires the same logical ability as realizing that $15 is more valuable than $10.  You could argue that money is subject to interpretation (just like Cabrera voters argue that value in baseball is), but nobody would have much respect for that argument.  Same thing applies here.  You, and everyone else, are entitled to an opinion, but Law is entitled to call you opinion that you are wrong (which anyone familiar with simple statistics and logic knows you are).

11/15/13   |   PAULLEBOWITZ   |   109 respect

Eric_ wrote:
So, no one cares what Keith has to say, but you write a good deal of words ripping him?

From my experience, Twitter is also about self-indulgent attention grabbing. That's what I like about it. All pretense otherwise is abandoned.

Also, while I got tired of it blowing up my feed yesterday too, the "Old Guard" has attacked sabermetrics many many times over the years. Two wrongs don't make a right of course, but the "fight," juvenile (and mostly non existent in front offices at this point) as it is, is a two-way street.

I didn't say no one cares. I said I don't understand why anyone cares. 
I didn't indulge in any fighting of that nature on Twitter. If someone has a go at me, I'll gladly fight with them sans snark, name-calling, etc. I have my view and don't call others names, nor do I indulge in the type of sarcasm and worse that would almost definitely get someone slapped if they did it face-to-face. That proves nothing and only makes the individual partaking in it look like, as I said, a fool. 

11/15/13   |   PAULLEBOWITZ   |   109 respect

Eric_ wrote:
I blame MLB Now for that. Kenny was not this much into proselytization at ESPN (that might be the first time that's ever been said). Dealing with Reynolds and the other MENSA members at MLB Network has destroyed his patience, I think.

You're giving ESPN too much credit. Their content is catered to the audience they want. See the "debate" on stats vs. old school with Law going against Rob Parker, who knows nothing about anything. Kenny had his role and orders and filled it. Presumably, he has more freedom at MLB. 

11/15/13   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

So, no one cares what Keith has to say, but you write a good deal of words ripping him?

From my experience, Twitter is also about self-indulgent attention grabbing. That's what I like about it. All pretense otherwise is abandoned.

Also, while I got tired of it blowing up my feed yesterday too, the "Old Guard" has attacked sabermetrics many many times over the years. Two wrongs don't make a right of course, but the "fight," juvenile (and mostly non existent in front offices at this point) as it is, is a two-way street.

11/15/13   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

Dan_B wrote:
Brian Kenny too. And I generally agree with them, but the complaining is just annoying. 

I blame MLB Now for that. Kenny was not this much into proselytization at ESPN (that might be the first time that's ever been said). Dealing with Reynolds and the other MENSA members at MLB Network has destroyed his patience, I think.

11/15/13   |   PAULLEBOWITZ   |   109 respect

Dan_B wrote:
Brian Kenny too. And I generally agree with them, but the complaining is just annoying. 

I had Cabrera as the MVP, but I wouldn't have thrown a hissy fit if Trout had won. They go about their attempts to turn people to their line of thinking in the wrong way. If they want it to change, they have to try and get the rules changed. But that's not gonna happen. They get more attention this way. 

11/15/13   |   Dan_B   |   1067 respect

Brian Kenny too. And I generally agree with them, but the complaining is just annoying.