LA Lakers Ron Artestís transfer to Cheshire Jets snagged by insurance, agent Bauman
NBA, Ron Artest

No insurance? No contract. NBA players face obstacle with overseas clubs

8/25/11 in NBA   |   JamesSmith23   |   1413 respect

If Ron Artest’s transfer to Cheshire Jets does occur then he would probably pave a path towards peace in the basketball world, a world where the NBA lockout has paused all action. Artest’s trip to England to confirm his transfer to Cheshire Jets has hit an obstacle that will require time to resolve.

In the aftermath of this saga, if an open basketball market is discovered in United Kingdom then a lot of players would be willing to flock to England.

Around two weeks ago Artest openly declared that he was going to play for Jets at least until the lockout was over. The problems the transfer process has seen since then makes it seem like Artest approached the subject ages ago. Now Artest’s his agent, David Bauman has informed that the Jets are unwilling to provide the Lakers forward with insurance which has Artest and Jets back to square one.

"It’s still on the table," Bauman said while talking to media. "But again, this insurance thing is a significant and a serious obstacle for any of the NBA players."

Currently, Artest has a three-year contract with $21.8-million to be paid from Lakers. However, all that money would vanish into thin air if Artest suffers an injury during his term with Jets in the lockout. An eager Artest wants the development to resolve as soon as possible. His tweet also showed the same passion, “Uk Sorry I couldn’t make it this week Can’t wait to meet the JETS!!!!”

Meanwhile, Cheshire Jets Director Pete Hawkins declared on behalf of the club that although there was a delay in the transfer it didn’t mean it transfer wasn’t happening. He said, “The next few days we need to work really hard. Insurance was always an issue from the outset, but we are still trying hard to ensure Ron has the protection he needs to play.”

Bauman stated that the issue will be resolved soon but in case it doesn’t he believes Artest should back away from the opportunity, "I think you can conclude that," Bauman said.  "Obviously, my advice was not to do it." While talking to media in an interview, Bauman commented, "Let me ask you a question. When the Cheshire Jets were giving quotes saying that I’ve spoken to Ron’s agent and we’re close to a deal, if you Google my name and you Google 'Ron Artest’s agent,' everyone knows I’m his agent. I didn’t receive one phone call, one email of communication or one fax, nothing from these people. Quickly, those quotes were then changed to say we’ve been in touch with Ron and his people. I didn’t give any quotes that we had a deal done. That’s where we are. If the Cheshire Jets wanted to contact me, they would.  They know what they had agreed to in a broadstroke was something very much in their favor and very much put Ron at risk.”

"I’m not going to lie to anybody," Bauman added. "Ron fully intends to play for the Jets. Once all the information trickled in and we had a good pow-wow and it was very apparent there was a $21-million risk to agreeing to a deal like this, that’s when we started to slow things down a little bit."

Bauman actually wants Artest to wait until September when Los Angeles Lakers open their training camp. At that point the NBA lockout situation will be reviewed and hopefully good news will arrive. Nonetheless, Bauman accepted that it was his client who had the final say and right now he wanted to play in England.

"Ron is going to evaluate all of the opportunities that he has," Bauman concluded. "Ron is going to make the best business decision for himself and for his career. It’s a process. It’s nothing that has to be done now."

Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

8/26/11   |   derms33   |   17645 respect

OH JUST BUY INSURANCE