LSU-Alabama BCS Title Rematch Is A Joke

Why A LSU-Alabama Rematch in the BCS Title Game Is Just Wrong

11/27/11 in NCAAF   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

Yesterday, Alabama took care of fierce rival Auburn 42-14, all but assuring them a bid in the BCS title game.  On Friday, LSU destroyed their rival Arkansas 41-17, which is even ridiculous when you realize LSU essentially spotted Arkansas 14 points to start the game.  While LSU still has to play the SEC title game, even if they lose it is all but guaranteed at this point to be a LSU-Alabama rematch in the BCS title game. And that's just wrong.

It is certainly possible that LSU and Alabama are the two best team in the nation.  However, we don't know.  And that is the problem with the current BCS system - we just don't know.  Our collective perception of teams is very often quite accurate, but we've all been wrong before - like in 2006 when Florida beat down Ohio State.  Which is why we should base our voting and BCS title matches on what we do know.

What we do know is that Alabama is not the better than LSU, is not the best team in their conference, or division.  If we're going to use the regular season as a playoff, as nearly all BCS supporters do, then Alabama has been eliminated.  We do know they are not the best.  This doesn't mean they aren't the second best team in the nation, but we know they aren't the best and therefore don't deserve a chance at the BCS title.

What we don't know is whether or not Oklahoma St, Virginia Tech, Houston, or heck even Michigan State or Wisconsin - all highly ranked likely conference champions (you know, winners of the regular season "playoff") are better than LSU.  

These unknowns are what still need to be solved. As unlikely as it may be that any of those teams may be better than LSU or be the best team in the nation, it has yet to be proven whether or not they are.  However, we do know that Alabama isn't.  That is why a LSU-Alabama BCS title rematch is the incorrect matchup.  We shouldn't use the BCS title game to re-prove what we already know.  It should be used to find out what we don't know - and that's whether LSU, the nation's #1, is better than their next challenger.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

1/2/12   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Bama_Lady wrote:
It is obvious that this was written by a LSU fan.  If it were a BAMA fan, it would read different. If I were an LSU fan, I would agree and comment the same...but since I am not, Roll Tide Roll.  Even if they do not deserve to play again, it is going to happen.  That is just life!  Get over it!

No doubt it would read differently if it would be an Alabama fan!! It would contain the usual arrogant comments about how Alabama actually won the first game but the score didn't show it. And many words would be spelled wrong ,are used wrong, and it would say how Alabama is the best team in the nation even though they lost in their own yard, and how Alabama would win 9 of 10 rematches and how Alabama "blah blah blah" and how Alabama " coulda shoulda woulda' and how Alabama should be the best IF this and IF that and they are "do dah do dah do" and they could be #$@!%^%$# IF this/that would have happened and on and on and on. All of this without admitting that they lost, LSU won, they are not the best team, probably not even the 2nd best team, their SOS sucked, they played a baby butt schedule, the interception did not happen, and on and on and on...Yep, it would be a different response!!
Geaux Tigers!!

1/2/12   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

Lady, this subject has been beaten like a dead horse, where were you when we were discussin it earlier? As for bein snotty by sayin "that is just life get over it!", what gives with that; along with that the article had to be written by an LSU fan. I know of several Bama fans who feel that there's no need for a rematch so crucify your own. As for the rest of us , just as you chose to be a Bama fan we chose to be LSU fans.

1/2/12   |   Bama_Lady   |   2 respect

It is obvious that this was written by a LSU fan.  If it were a BAMA fan, it would read different. If I were an LSU fan, I would agree and comment the same...but since I am not, Roll Tide Roll.  Even if they do not deserve to play again, it is going to happen.  That is just life!  Get over it!

12/18/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

pmichael, how insultin and conesendin can you say somebody else is and not look at yourself? Geesh Louise and you tell me to go look in a mirror. Bucko, think you and your bf need to go and  take a look see. At least some of Basscat's remarks do make some sense.

12/18/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

Now you bring up a very valid point. It does seem as though neither of us is willing to give up. Maybe that's a good thing? I suppose we should agree to move on. In a way that's too bad. I read some of your posts. It is clear that you are a very intelligent person who puts a lot of thought into it. It isn't even that I entirely disagreed with your posts. I just took exception to the way you handled responses to those who disagreed with you. It seemed to me to be very condescending in nature. If I misunderstood your responses, I do apologize for that. I do wish you good luck and good fortune in whatever the future brings for you. Take care.

12/18/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Actually, no, I don't get it. I can't stoop that low to meet your intentions. The difference between you and I still remains, my resume is in the books, yours is, well, it isn't anywhere. I stand alone , you have nothing to stand on. But let me make you an offer. It is obvious we don't care for each other(REALLY?). Let's just move on..Your comment can be the last if it is appropriate..We shall see!

12/18/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

Basscat02 wrote:
Not a bad response, almost seems like you are getting some help now. But you are still using sarcasm as you have been all along. Still no facts, no truths and certainly no class. Did you finish high school ? If I were a gambler I would bet on that. I bet your boyfriend is there with you helping you. You still can't see that my accomplishments speak for themselves. They are in the books. I am sorry your life has been a failure and is still sliding, but hang on to your man there and between the two of you maybe you will get a rise, get it, a rise...What was I thinking, sorry about that(NOT!)..Keep your sarcastic responses coming. Myself  and several others here are rolling over . It is funny how idiots can sometimes entertain. Hey, get with your boyfriend and try to come up with a response that is real, factual and appropriate. With each response so far you are going down, haha, going down, get it?

It is good to know that it takes a whole group of you to come up with a single response. I guess it is true that there is safety in numbers. It's also good to know that at least one in the group had the good sense to go out and buy, borrow or, steal a dictionary so you could find out what sarcasm really means. You keep bringing up that list of accomplishments. I think you have made it quite clear that you are, without question, a legend in your own mind. So tell me, did it take you a whole box of crayons to write out that list? By the way, yes jr., I "get it." (That means "junior" just so one in your group of "Merry Men" doesn't have to waste a lot of time looking that one up as well.).........."Merry Men"..........get it?

12/18/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

pmichael45 wrote:
I suppose I should be flattered that you have been waiting around all day just for me to respond. lol, like a fish dangling on a hook. If you are a shinning example of what the big dogs are like then yes, I'm glad I don't hang with you. By the way, thanks for proving my point about your arrogance. Try to keep from tripping over your own accomplishments. Not that you need it but you now have my permission to back to tooting your own horn again.

Not a bad response, almost seems like you are getting some help now. But you are still using sarcasm as you have been all along. Still no facts, no truths and certainly no class. Did you finish high school ? If I were a gambler I would bet on that. I bet your boyfriend is there with you helping you. You still can't see that my accomplishments speak for themselves. They are in the books. I am sorry your life has been a failure and is still sliding, but hang on to your man there and between the two of you maybe you will get a rise, get it, a rise...What was I thinking, sorry about that(NOT!)..Keep your sarcastic responses coming. Myself  and several others here are rolling over . It is funny how idiots can sometimes entertain. Hey, get with your boyfriend and try to come up with a response that is real, factual and appropriate. With each response so far you are going down, haha, going down, get it?

12/18/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

Basscat02 wrote:
Sure took you a while to come up with such a stupid answer. But it doesn't surprise me. I stand uncorrected as you still stand corrected. You will need a much better response than that. My history is in black and white and stands for itself. Your history is, uh, oh, you have no history. Now you have tucked your tail and run. That is what I expected from you. You can't hang with the big dogs. Having a relationship with dogs does not qualify you. You, are a loser. Time for you to go away pmichael45. What a stupid name. Did your boyfriehd give you that name? C'mon, you can tell us. Hell, nobody gives a shit anyway about you. Really, go away !!

I suppose I should be flattered that you have been waiting around all day just for me to respond. lol, like a fish dangling on a hook. If you are a shinning example of what the big dogs are like then yes, I'm glad I don't hang with you. By the way, thanks for proving my point about your arrogance. Try to keep from tripping over your own accomplishments. Not that you need it but you now have my permission to back to tooting your own horn again.

12/18/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

pmichael45 wrote:
Very good! You did, however, leave out the part where you walked barefoot 20 miles thru a raging snow storm every day just to get to school or the part where you donated a kidney to the homeless guy. Guys like you crack me up. You believe that your opinion is the only correct one out there. You forget that different people have different opinions. So long as their opinion backs yours, there's no problem but, let it differ and you either try to steamroll over them or just resort to calling them names and talking down to them. Every now and again you get your ass handed back to you. I realize that your own arrogance won't let you understand that but there it is. I won't keep you any longer. I know you must be in a hurry to climb Mt. Everest or hack your way single handed thru a dark jungle to bring medical supplies to a lost tribe somewhere.

Sure took you a while to come up with such a stupid answer. But it doesn't surprise me. I stand uncorrected as you still stand corrected. You will need a much better response than that. My history is in black and white and stands for itself. Your history is, uh, oh, you have no history. Now you have tucked your tail and run. That is what I expected from you. You can't hang with the big dogs. Having a relationship with dogs does not qualify you. You, are a loser. Time for you to go away pmichael45. What a stupid name. Did your boyfriehd give you that name? C'mon, you can tell us. Hell, nobody gives a shit anyway about you. Really, go away !!

12/18/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

Basscat02 wrote:
Not at all, your response was quick. But again inaccurate. I lost my parents long before I went to college or Medical School. So wrong again for you. And I do not consume alcohol. Wrong again! You will find my name in the college hall of outstanding accomplishments at my school and some thank yous for all I have done for education and also for continued halftime support. So, wrong again. Next post please!!

Very good! You did, however, leave out the part where you walked barefoot 20 miles thru a raging snow storm every day just to get to school or the part where you donated a kidney to the homeless guy. Guys like you crack me up. You believe that your opinion is the only correct one out there. You forget that different people have different opinions. So long as their opinion backs yours, there's no problem but, let it differ and you either try to steamroll over them or just resort to calling them names and talking down to them. Every now and again you get your ass handed back to you. I realize that your own arrogance won't let you understand that but there it is. I won't keep you any longer. I know you must be in a hurry to climb Mt. Everest or hack your way single handed thru a dark jungle to bring medical supplies to a lost tribe somewhere.

12/17/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

pmichael45 wrote:
Well, it is good to know that your powers of perception are not any more accurate than your facts. As for being an SEC graduate, you are just living proof that with enough money your mommy and daddy can buy your way into anything. Also, although I do not consider being drunk and stupid in public as half time entertainment  I now realize that it is where you come from. As for attending more football and basketball games, I don't doubt that a bit. After all, they do need someone to sweep out the place after everyone else is gone. By the way, hope I didn't keep you waiting too long

Not at all, your response was quick. But again inaccurate. I lost my parents long before I went to college or Medical School. So wrong again for you. And I do not consume alcohol. Wrong again! You will find my name in the college hall of outstanding accomplishments at my school and some thank yous for all I have done for education and also for continued halftime support. So, wrong again. Next post please!!

12/17/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

Basscat02 wrote:
Do I detect some anger here. Whew, I am scared now! Just so you can be corrected one more time,  I am a graduate of an SEC school and have attended more SEC football games and basketball games than you have performed oral sex on your boyfriend, and I have been to a lot of them. I have entertained at half time in SEC games more often than you have had a bath. I will save the rest for another incorrect post you will make soon. Waiting on your next bad comment....

Well, it is good to know that your powers of perception are not any more accurate than your facts. As for being an SEC graduate, you are just living proof that with enough money your mommy and daddy can buy your way into anything. Also, although I do not consider being drunk and stupid in public as half time entertainment  I now realize that it is where you come from. As for attending more football and basketball games, I don't doubt that a bit. After all, they do need someone to sweep out the place after everyone else is gone. By the way, hope I didn't keep you waiting too long

12/17/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Do I detect some anger here. Whew, I am scared now! Just so you can be corrected one more time,  I am a graduate of an SEC school and have attended more SEC football games and basketball games than you have performed oral sex on your boyfriend, and I have been to a lot of them. I have entertained at half time in SEC games more often than you have had a bath. I will save the rest for another incorrect post you will make soon. Waiting on your next bad comment....

12/17/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

You are neither a fan of Alabama nor a fan of the SEC. If you were then you, above anyone else, would be happy with the fact that it is 2 SEC teams squaring off  in the National Championship game no matter who those two teams might be yet, all you have done is whine and bitch and complain. If your gripe was with the current system, so be it, but it's not. Your gripe is only whom the current system picked as the number two team. As for my profile, no one asked you to give a shit about it. I simply brought yours up to remind you who you were a fan of since you seem to have forgotten.

12/17/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

I never said I was or was not an LSU fan. That is not important. I just addressed the incorrect response you posted, nothing more, nothing less. I am a big SEC fan which means I am also an Alabama fan. The difference between you and me is, I don't give a shit about your profile!

12/17/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

Basscat02 wrote:
I did not say I was an LSU fan, you did. I just stated the facts. If you think anyone will believe your idiotic story of how you don't care you are wrong again. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here trying to state your case. Another fact is, you are already a loser, proven and fact. So move on loser!

Your own profile says you're an LSU fan. Is it correct or did you get that fact wrong as well?

12/16/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Only when I am right!

12/16/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

Confrontational fella, arent ya?

12/16/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Yep, I guess we will. But all that Alabama hype here before the last game didn't show up after the game. That's what we refer to as SORE LOSERS!! Are you a sore loser in addition to a regular loser? I guess we will find out.

12/16/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

Well, I will let all that ignorance pass--we will see what happens WHEN THEY PLAY THE GAME.

12/16/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Oh, I don't drink wine. Just because you do does not mean real men do. But you wouldn't know that. So you are sad, and proven wrong, you lose!

12/16/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

I did not say I was an LSU fan, you did. I just stated the facts. If you think anyone will believe your idiotic story of how you don't care you are wrong again. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here trying to state your case. Another fact is, you are already a loser, proven and fact. So move on loser!

12/16/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

Hilblee wrote:
Want some wine with that cheese basscat?  Dont need the game cause LSU is already #1?  I think that happens every year, thats why they play the game instead of just handing a team the crown at the beginning of the season. 
I was actually pulling for LSU to win so there wouldnt be any bickering about the national championship but you two LSU fans are making that extremely hard for me to stomach,   Go steam some boudin and relax a bit!

Gets old doesn't it Hilblee? For me, it all boils down to this.....come Jan 9th I am going to sit down in front of the TV and enjoy the last college football game of the season. The #1 team vs. the #2 team. Now I didn't decide how those two teams got to where they are anymore than anyone else did and, as a Bama fan, if the Tide loses, I'll be a little disappointed but the world won't come to an end. When your only 2 loses came to the #1 team in the country, I don't see where that's anything to lower your head about. On the other hand, these two guys can only enjoy that game if the outcome is in their favor. To me that's sad.

12/16/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

Basscat02 wrote:
Gotta go with TigerSooner on this one. Alabama is the 3rd ranked team in the SEC behind the 2 division winners. Saban can't do any better than that. It has already been proven who the best team in the country is. LSU is #1, we don't even need that NC game. It has already been decided. Saban's team lost and do not deserve to be there.

Want some wine with that cheese basscat?  Dont need the game cause LSU is already #1?  I think that happens every year, thats why they play the game instead of just handing a team the crown at the beginning of the season. 
I was actually pulling for LSU to win so there wouldnt be any bickering about the national championship but you two LSU fans are making that extremely hard for me to stomach,   Go steam some boudin and relax a bit!

12/16/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

Basscat02 wrote:
OH, pmichael, you did call him names. Here you go! get a life ahole, now I have called you a name.

Exactly what names did I call him? You do mean more than when I said that we should change his name to "Scoop" Sooner, right?

12/15/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Thank goodness we have you to thank for bringing those "snide" remarks to light. Seems that ESPN and a half dozen radio talk shows never heard anything about that. Guess we should change your name to "Scoop" Sooner. Stop and think for a minute. Both Coach Miles and Coach Saban are class acts who have been down this road before. They do their talking to their teams getting them as ready as they possibly can for a game. You do the Tigers an injustice by thinking they need this little bit of an edge with your "back alley BS".


Don't take my word for it. Here it is!

12/15/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

OH, pmichael, you did call him names. Here you go! get a life ahole, now I have called you a name.

12/15/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Gotta go with TigerSooner on this one. Alabama is the 3rd ranked team in the SEC behind the 2 division winners. Saban can't do any better than that. It has already been proven who the best team in the country is. LSU is #1, we don't even need that NC game. It has already been decided. Saban's team lost and do not deserve to be there.

12/15/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

Think again as to  why we at LSU hate Saban and oh contrare on the name callin pmichael.

12/15/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

Hilblee wrote:
Hate to get involved in this but I guarantee that if Saban was still the coach in LSU, you would have nothing but praise for him.  The LSU hate for Saban is not necessarily because he left early, but he left and went to Alabama.

PS.  this is a friendly conversation so no need to call me names.

Hilblee, you might just be right there. By the way, I wouldn't call you names. I don't believe I've called Tiger Sooner any names.

12/15/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

Hate to get involved in this but I guarantee that if Saban was still the coach in LSU, you would have nothing but praise for him.  The LSU hate for Saban is not necessarily because he left early, but he left and went to Alabama.

PS.  this is a friendly conversation so no need to call me names.

12/15/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

You've called me out now hear me out in public ahole. Saban has never NEVER shown any class even when he was at LSU, i.e. he jerks players up for the entire world to see a/k/a Woody Hayes style, he has been known to step over convulsing players in a locker room, talk trash about his opponents just to get his players in a kill the opponent mode, etc. When it comes to education Les Miles is by far the smarter of the 2.

12/15/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

TigerSooner wrote:
pmichael, I only call things as I see em my man and I think it's wrong the way that Saban comes across as holier than thou on camera and not to mention jerks up his players up for the entire viewing audience to see then off camera chastizes LSU for being over zealous with the way they attack both the game and other players. Dude, not that it matters you need an attitude adjustmen if you think for one damned second you're goin to intimidate me with your talkin to me like you are.

You're kidding right? I need an attitude adjustment because I respect both coaches and both programs for what they have accomplished. I think you're confusing intimidation and education.

12/15/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

pmichael45 wrote:
Thank goodness we have you to thank for bringing those "snide" remarks to light. Seems that ESPN and a half dozen radio talk shows never heard anything about that. Guess we should change your name to "Scoop" Sooner. Stop and think for a minute. Both Coach Miles and Coach Saban are class acts who have been down this road before. They do their talking to their teams getting them as ready as they possibly can for a game. You do the Tigers an injustice by thinking they need this little bit of an edge with your "back alley BS".

pmichael, I only call things as I see em my man and I think it's wrong the way that Saban comes across as holier than thou on camera and not to mention jerks up his players up for the entire viewing audience to see then off camera chastizes LSU for being over zealous with the way they attack both the game and other players. Dude, not that it matters you need an attitude adjustmen if you think for one damned second you're goin to intimidate me with your talkin to me like you are.

12/15/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

TigerSooner wrote:
Yeah you right it won't be pretty and Bama's definitely goin to be askin what am I doin here. Besides after the snide remarks Satan (yes I said Satan) made off camera bout some of our players you just know they'll be goin full throttle and destroy both sides of the line. I pity anybody who tries to get in the Honey Badger's, Big Sam's, or Mingo's way.

Thank goodness we have you to thank for bringing those "snide" remarks to light. Seems that ESPN and a half dozen radio talk shows never heard anything about that. Guess we should change your name to "Scoop" Sooner. Stop and think for a minute. Both Coach Miles and Coach Saban are class acts who have been down this road before. They do their talking to their teams getting them as ready as they possibly can for a game. You do the Tigers an injustice by thinking they need this little bit of an edge with your "back alley BS".

12/14/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

Amb4384 wrote:
Jan Baby, the LSU offense wil come alive also! It won't be pretty for tha Tide! (WINK)

Yeah you right it won't be pretty and Bama's definitely goin to be askin what am I doin here. Besides after the snide remarks Satan (yes I said Satan) made off camera bout some of our players you just know they'll be goin full throttle and destroy both sides of the line. I pity anybody who tries to get in the Honey Badger's, Big Sam's, or Mingo's way.

12/14/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

Amb4384 wrote:
Jan Baby, the LSU offense wil come alive also! It won't be pretty for tha Tide! (WINK)

I don't think either team is going to "light it up". Both LSU and Bama have dominating defenses and simply won't allow that.

12/14/11   |   Amb4384   |   121 respect

TigerSooner wrote:
Honey Badger, Big Sam Montgomery, Big Mo, and da rest of the Crew will take on anybody and leave em speechless wonderin all the while what am I doin here.

Jan Baby, the LSU offense wil come alive also! It won't be pretty for tha Tide! (WINK)

12/13/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

Amb4384 wrote:
Tyrann is the BEST all around football player in college football. Period.

Honey Badger, Big Sam Montgomery, Big Mo, and da rest of the Crew will take on anybody and leave em speechless wonderin all the while what am I doin here.

12/13/11   |   Amb4384   |   121 respect

TigerSooner wrote:
Don't ya know that Honey Badgers take what they want and don't give a $hit? He's not only the defensive weapon we've got and I'd put him up against the likes of Peyton Manning, Drama Queen, Jr., anyday. Hopefully he won't have to play against my Saints in a couple of yrs tho. But w_g_walters our D's one to be reckoned with. I felt sorry for OS's losses off the field but you have to stay focused. Coach Miles stressed that thruout the whole season considerin what we went thru and look what we did. Either you suck it up and play or you don't play. The guys took it upon themselves NOT to let the distractions off the field keep them from their goal of becomin NCs and again look what they did. 

Tyrann is the BEST all around football player in college football. Period.

12/12/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
 I think you and I agree coming from different perspectives.  I think giving Alabama a second chance is unfair to Okie State and company and you correctly point out that under the system we have its also unfair to LSU.

You are playing politics. This is not about what is "fair" or "unfair" nor is it about who someone thinks deserves a chance or who doesn't deserve a chance. This is about #1 vs. #2.

12/12/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

Hilblee wrote:
If, If, If alabama hadnt of missed those field goals,  they would be the #1 team in the country and LSU would be #2.  Lot of Ifffffn goin on.

Again--I dont care who wins. Im a Vol. SEC gets the national champion no matter what.

12/9/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

w_g_walters wrote:
Of course, your team has something to play for, so you'd be saying things like this. My team has been taken out of contention by a single game, so I can say this--especially since I'm not a fan of either school.

I'm not saying LSU isn't great. They are, but I've never thought teams that rely on defense are that good. (Case in point: How many teams took the Bears [14] to beat the Colts [41] in the Superbowl? Answer: Most of them.)

As for OSU, well, they lost after the plane crash and arriving at the stadium late, so who they played isn't as much of an issue as it would have been.

Don't ya know that Honey Badgers take what they want and don't give a $hit? He's not only the defensive weapon we've got and I'd put him up against the likes of Peyton Manning, Drama Queen, Jr., anyday. Hopefully he won't have to play against my Saints in a couple of yrs tho. But w_g_walters our D's one to be reckoned with. I felt sorry for OS's losses off the field but you have to stay focused. Coach Miles stressed that thruout the whole season considerin what we went thru and look what we did. Either you suck it up and play or you don't play. The guys took it upon themselves NOT to let the distractions off the field keep them from their goal of becomin NCs and again look what they did. 

12/8/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

w_g_walters wrote:
Of course, your team has something to play for, so you'd be saying things like this. My team has been taken out of contention by a single game, so I can say this--especially since I'm not a fan of either school.

I'm not saying LSU isn't great. They are, but I've never thought teams that rely on defense are that good. (Case in point: How many teams took the Bears [14] to beat the Colts [41] in the Superbowl? Answer: Most of them.)

As for OSU, well, they lost after the plane crash and arriving at the stadium late, so who they played isn't as much of an issue as it would have been.

Well, you are improving a little. But as you obviously don't know, offense wins games, defense wins championships. Any one with any kind of sports knowledge will tell you that. And LSU is the best, proven, done. Just so you will know, I believe OSU shoud be playing LSU in the NC game. Not because they may or may not be the 2nd best team. But because Bama has had their chance, and lost, it is totally unfair to LSU more than anyone else to have to beat them again to state what we already know. LSU is the best team, no not OSU, not by a long shot. But they should be given a chance to lose to LSU more than Alabama.

12/8/11   |   w_g_walters   |   223 respect

Basscat02 wrote:
Who are you and where have you been? OSU is a better team than LSU? Did I read that right? No problem. I just don't quite understand why 300 million people are wrong and you are right. You are the brightest person in your own mind, no, I take that back, you have no mind. You know absolutely nothing about college football. LSU is undefeated and they were put there because of that. You did get that right. OSU(Our Shitty Underwear) lost to nobody university and allowed 50 points per game and 500 yards of offense per game. LSU beat, and I mean BEAT everybody they played, allowed 10 points per game and 200 total yards offense a game, but OSU is better. LSU's defense and special teams scored 25% of their points scored and set up another 10% for the offense to score on a short field. OSU's defense and special teams are the worst in college football but they are a better team. LSU has 10 players nominated for All American , OSU none , but they are a better team. The SEC has the Defensive and Offensive Player of the year in all of football, OSU, none, but they are a better team. I have a lot more to say but my hands are getting tired. So let's just say, let people think you are an idiot than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Of course, your team has something to play for, so you'd be saying things like this. My team has been taken out of contention by a single game, so I can say this--especially since I'm not a fan of either school.

I'm not saying LSU isn't great. They are, but I've never thought teams that rely on defense are that good. (Case in point: How many teams took the Bears [14] to beat the Colts [41] in the Superbowl? Answer: Most of them.)

As for OSU, well, they lost after the plane crash and arriving at the stadium late, so who they played isn't as much of an issue as it would have been.

12/8/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

That is at least an arguable point. But you lose again. Alabama is as good as OSU, but that does not mean either team is 2nd best. We all know that LSU is the best team, oh, excuse me, everybody but you knows that! What was I thinking...

12/8/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

I watched all of those games too, as did thousands of Sports Writers , Coaches and experts, and you are the only one with a stupid opinion like that. You are just trying to start some crap, right? This is not for real.

12/8/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

w_g_walters wrote:

I wrote that wrong in the other post. I meant to say Houston should have still been in the running for a title shot. My bad.

And like I *did* say, "the voters put [Bama] there anyway." And like I said elsewhere (I think it was on Facebook), voting doesn't necessarily determine who is best--it may go on who the voters want to see, instead. That's why voting can't be trusted.

For the record, I don't believe in a one-game decision because of the chance of an off-day, and I would never consider OT if I had to vote. I'd have dropped both Bama and LSU after their game. Why? Well, like I've been saying, offense is the key. I don't care how good your defense is, you still have to have the offense to back it up. LSU and Bama's offenses didn't. So no, I don't think LSU is the best team, that's OSU, but they are undefeated, which is why they're in the game.

As for Houston, they didn't drop passes like that all year, and if there were a second game, there's little doubt in my mind they'd show the nation what they're *really* like. You can't base a team's ability on strength of schedule--if the 16-0 Dolphins played in a league comprised of teams made up the likes of, say, the 0-16 Lions, strength of schedule could be used as a reason for the Dolphins' success, but what would the scores be like? Probably more like the numbers Houston put up this year--maybe bigger. So, yes, Houston should have stayed in the running. I've explained the reasons they're not, and this is why I'm going to be advocating a playoff system.

Who are you and where have you been? OSU is a better team than LSU? Did I read that right? No problem. I just don't quite understand why 300 million people are wrong and you are right. You are the brightest person in your own mind, no, I take that back, you have no mind. You know absolutely nothing about college football. LSU is undefeated and they were put there because of that. You did get that right. OSU(Our Shitty Underwear) lost to nobody university and allowed 50 points per game and 500 yards of offense per game. LSU beat, and I mean BEAT everybody they played, allowed 10 points per game and 200 total yards offense a game, but OSU is better. LSU's defense and special teams scored 25% of their points scored and set up another 10% for the offense to score on a short field. OSU's defense and special teams are the worst in college football but they are a better team. LSU has 10 players nominated for All American , OSU none , but they are a better team. The SEC has the Defensive and Offensive Player of the year in all of football, OSU, none, but they are a better team. I have a lot more to say but my hands are getting tired. So let's just say, let people think you are an idiot than to speak out and remove all doubt.

12/8/11   |   w_g_walters   |   223 respect

Hilblee wrote:
First you say that Houston had a bad day and should still get a shot at the national title and then in this post you say Alabama doesnt deserve it because they didnt even win their division

Houston didnt win their conference--does that make a difference?  Division, conference. what the heck's the difference?

I wrote that wrong in the other post. I meant to say Houston should have still been in the running for a title shot. My bad.

And like I *did* say, "the voters put [Bama] there anyway." And like I said elsewhere (I think it was on Facebook), voting doesn't necessarily determine who is best--it may go on who the voters want to see, instead. That's why voting can't be trusted.

For the record, I don't believe in a one-game decision because of the chance of an off-day, and I would never consider OT if I had to vote. I'd have dropped both Bama and LSU after their game. Why? Well, like I've been saying, offense is the key. I don't care how good your defense is, you still have to have the offense to back it up. LSU and Bama's offenses didn't. So no, I don't think LSU is the best team, that's OSU, but they are undefeated, which is why they're in the game.

As for Houston, they didn't drop passes like that all year, and if there were a second game, there's little doubt in my mind they'd show the nation what they're *really* like. You can't base a team's ability on strength of schedule--if the 16-0 Dolphins played in a league comprised of teams made up the likes of, say, the 0-16 Lions, strength of schedule could be used as a reason for the Dolphins' success, but what would the scores be like? Probably more like the numbers Houston put up this year--maybe bigger. So, yes, Houston should have stayed in the running. I've explained the reasons they're not, and this is why I'm going to be advocating a playoff system.

12/8/11   |   ladyhuckleberry   |   43 respect

Hilblee wrote:
If, If, If alabama hadnt of missed those field goals,  they would be the #1 team in the country and LSU would be #2.  Lot of Ifffffn goin on.

As the late Don Meredith would say," If ands and buts were candy and nuts what a Merry Christmas we'd have". In other words Hilblee, our D ruled again so sorry.

12/8/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

w_g_walters wrote:
And now, I'm hoping Houston blasts PSU so bad the NCAA is forced to go to another system, preferably a playoff. I watched both LSU and OSU games this year, and OSU is clearly better IMO. Alabama didn't beat LSU and didn't even win the division, so they have no business being in the championship game, but the voters put them there, anyway.

First you say that Houston had a bad day and should still get a shot at the national title and then in this post you say Alabama doesnt deserve it because they didnt even win their division

Houston didnt win their conference--does that make a difference?  Division, conference. what the heck's the difference?

12/8/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

w_g_walters wrote:
If those catches hadn't have been dropped, which they never did all season, they would have won easily over the #24 ranked team (who I also think is underrated). I still say Houston deserves a title shot.

The Cougars only dropped 13 positions because of SOS and that many voters didn't watch their games, only went by stats. Really, it was just an off-day for them. (This is also why I don't like the voting system.)

If, If, If alabama hadnt of missed those field goals,  they would be the #1 team in the country and LSU would be #2.  Lot of Ifffffn goin on.

12/8/11   |   w_g_walters   |   223 respect

And now, I'm hoping Houston blasts PSU so bad the NCAA is forced to go to another system, preferably a playoff. I watched both LSU and OSU games this year, and OSU is clearly better IMO. Alabama didn't beat LSU and didn't even win the division, so they have no business being in the championship game, but the voters put them there, anyway.

12/8/11   |   w_g_walters   |   223 respect

Hilblee wrote:
MUST-----counted your chickens a little too early.

If those catches hadn't have been dropped, which they never did all season, they would have won easily over the #24 ranked team (who I also think is underrated). I still say Houston deserves a title shot.

The Cougars only dropped 13 positions because of SOS and that many voters didn't watch their games, only went by stats. Really, it was just an off-day for them. (This is also why I don't like the voting system.)

12/6/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

Basscat02 wrote:
I can think of a couple of things they can spread !!!

You're so bad, mon ami.

12/6/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

TigerSooner wrote:
Start practicin and have your oil can ready cause you're gonna be doin it a lot,hahahaha. How much of a spread do you want me to give ya Dear?

I can think of a couple of things they can spread !!!

12/6/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

Hilblee wrote:
Im actually pulling for LSU to win.  Saves a lot of bickering in the end and I still get an SEC national champion. 
I will bow down to you if they can do it though---I will challenge you on the bet and take Bama.

Start practicin and have your oil can ready cause you're gonna be doin it a lot,hahahaha. How much of a spread do you want me to give ya Dear?

12/6/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

ladyhuckleberry wrote:
Hilblee, Saban can be beat on any given day and as many times as dictated. Too he has to face the fact that Les Miles has more rabbits up his sleeve than a magician. Sorry Dear, but it's a fact.

Im actually pulling for LSU to win.  Saves a lot of bickering in the end and I still get an SEC national champion. 
I will bow down to you if they can do it though---I will challenge you on the bet and take Bama.

12/5/11   |   ladyhuckleberry   |   43 respect

Hilblee, Saban can be beat on any given day and as many times as dictated. Too he has to face the fact that Les Miles has more rabbits up his sleeve than a magician. Sorry Dear, but it's a fact.

12/5/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Hilblee wrote:
Bama, as predictied.  I dont like either the tigers or the tide, but it will be tough to beat Saban twice in one year.

I don't think so. We are already half the way there and it happened in Bama's backyard

12/5/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

The BCS got it right. LSU / Alabama are the two best teams in the country. Even as an Alabama fan I would have given the edge to OK State had they lost to anybody other than Iowa State. That is what cost them a shot at a championship match up.

12/5/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

w_g_walters wrote:
LSU and Houston will both win their games by wide margins, leaving them as the only unbeaten teams in the nation. There's no doubt that LSU is a defensive powerhouse, and Houston's set a boatload of NCAA records this year while leading in scoring. That's why there MUST be an LSU-Houston matchup, the Unstoppable Offense vs. the Dominant Defense. Any other game won't be worth it.

MUST-----counted your chickens a little too early.

12/5/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

Bama, as predictied.  I dont like either the tigers or the tide, but it will be tough to beat Saban twice in one year.

12/4/11   |   Amb4384   |   121 respect

TigerSooner wrote:
Dawling, I just call em as I see em.

Well Jan the Tigers are headed to the Superdome now! ;) Georgia was toooooooooooo easy! Can't wait to see who they will play! Reply to this after we find out who it will be! ;)

12/3/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

Amb4384 wrote:
LOL good one Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawling, I just call em as I see em.

12/3/11   |   Amb4384   |   121 respect

TigerSooner wrote:
I'm so tired of hearin the likes of we're scared of playin Bama again till I wanna go out and skin a gator just for the hell of it..

LOL good one Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/2/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

TigerSooner wrote:
I'm so tired of hearin the likes of we're scared of playin Bama again till I wanna go out and skin a gator just for the hell of it..

I hear ya buddy. If I knew what the heck a Crimson Tide was I would hunt one down and skin it myself!!

12/2/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

I'm so tired of hearin the likes of we're scared of playin Bama again till I wanna go out and skin a gator just for the hell of it..

12/2/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

TigerSooner wrote:
Amen to anybody other than Bama is the ticket. Those fools lost in their own backyard, have the nerve to call us scared to play em again, and the list goes on. God forbid I hope if we do have to play those poor watah blowin slobs again they get a real good dose of Tiger Madness and see that like their own song says "hey hey we don't mess aroun". GEAUX LSU

Ain't it the truth .. Right on TS. Then to think that LSU is afraid of Alabama is the most idiotic thing I have heard. We just don't need to play them again.. The point is proven. Bring on some fresh meat!!

12/2/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
 I said everyone (other than LSU) has a weak resume.  Don't change my words.

Mark, Bama's a waste of time for us the 2nd time around. It's time to find somebody else to play.

12/2/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

Amen to anybody other than Bama is the ticket. Those fools lost in their own backyard, have the nerve to call us scared to play em again, and the list goes on. God forbid I hope if we do have to play those poor watah blowin slobs again they get a real good dose of Tiger Madness and see that like their own song says "hey hey we don't mess aroun". GEAUX LSU

12/2/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Forestwalker wrote:
I apologize if I didn't clearly illustrate my point, but what I was trying to say is the outcome of one game is not necessarily influenced by the result of another game (barring injury, suspension, etc.). Just because LSU beat Bama once doesn't mean there would be the same outcome in a theoretical rematch. As for Bama being in the SEC, I was not trying to dispute that. My point was they are the 2nd best team in the country, and it is purely serendipitous that they happen to be in the same division as the best team in the country. If some other 1-loss team got their only loss from LSU, but won their conference, far fewer people would have a problem with the rematch. If Georgia loses to LSU by 3 points, they will not even be close to the 2nd best team in the country. That will be their 3rd loss, and they would not deserve a second shot at LSU. I agree a point differential of 3 or less points does not give automatic rights to a rematch. The current (flawed) system pairs the best and second best team in the country for the championship game, plain and simple. Right now, like it or not, that is the LSU v Bama rematch. I don't care who they have in the championship. Bama is the only team in the country that has a reasonable chance of defeating LSU, but the greater the risk, the sweeter the reward!

Why do you think Alabama is the 2nd best team in the country? Because they lost to LSU by 3 points? Remember . Bama was a 4 and 1/2 point favorite in that game. So losing by 3 points means 7 and 1/2 point difference. So Bama did not do as well as they should have, meaning they are not as good as they were thought to be. Can't tell by their schedule because they played Arkansas and LSU, that's it. They did not win their conference, in fact, they did not even win their division. They are the 3rd ranked team in the SEC behind the 2 divisional winners. Nothing more is needed. Alabama does not qualify to play against LSU in the NC game. Stanford, Okie St. and even Boise St. will have won or at least played in their conference championship game. And Stanford and Okie St. had a tougher schedule than Alabama. So is Bama really the 2nd best team in the country? How do we know that? I see no reason to believe that. How do we know that Stanford or Oklahoma St. are not better than Alabama? We don't. But what we do know about Alabama is proven, we know that beyond the shadow of a doubt.. So let's move past this. LSU is the best team until proven otherwise. We don't know who the 2nd best team is but we know that Alabama does not have the resume to qualify. This is actually a no-brainer. LSU against any 1 loss team besides Alabama is the ticket.

12/2/11   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

Mark_Guerrero wrote:
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Go compare houstons schedule to Alabama. You going to say Baka schedule dowdy prove much but have the nerve to say Houston is more deserving. I'm sorry you know nothing about college football for even considering Houston.

 I said everyone (other than LSU) has a weak resume.  Don't change my words.

12/2/11   |   Forestwalker   |   1 respect

Basscat02 wrote:

If we had a 3 game series then all would be as we want it. But college football does not follow that layout, so it is a mute point. The second best team has had a shot at the best team, that is why they are second best or worse. The next if, if Bama was in any other conference.....Bama is not in another conference. They are in the SEC. They have played 8 SEC teams just like all of the other SEC teams have. If Georgia loses by 3 points then by your argument, they should have another shot at LSU.. Why? Because they  lost? Don't think so.. All of the SEC teams who played LSU lost, some by fewer points than others. But there is no rule that says if you get beat by 3 points or less then there must be a rematch. Don't think so. A loss is a loss is a loss..No rematch is necessary. It has already been proven. LSU is the best, everybody else who played LSU is 2nd best. The best teams who have not played LSU should get their shot now. Bama has not earned it. Period!!

I apologize if I didn't clearly illustrate my point, but what I was trying to say is the outcome of one game is not necessarily influenced by the result of another game (barring injury, suspension, etc.). Just because LSU beat Bama once doesn't mean there would be the same outcome in a theoretical rematch. As for Bama being in the SEC, I was not trying to dispute that. My point was they are the 2nd best team in the country, and it is purely serendipitous that they happen to be in the same division as the best team in the country. If some other 1-loss team got their only loss from LSU, but won their conference, far fewer people would have a problem with the rematch. If Georgia loses to LSU by 3 points, they will not even be close to the 2nd best team in the country. That will be their 3rd loss, and they would not deserve a second shot at LSU. I agree a point differential of 3 or less points does not give automatic rights to a rematch. The current (flawed) system pairs the best and second best team in the country for the championship game, plain and simple. Right now, like it or not, that is the LSU v Bama rematch. I don't care who they have in the championship. Bama is the only team in the country that has a reasonable chance of defeating LSU, but the greater the risk, the sweeter the reward!

12/2/11   |   ML31   |   3675 respect

(Edited by ML31)

Why do they call it a "Series" when it really is just a system to see who plays in one game?

12/2/11   |   Amb4384   |   121 respect

TigerSooner wrote:
Just a couple of questions. Guys, will you be honest with me? Am I so wrong in my thinking? If I am tell me where I am.

you are absolutely CORRECT, Tiger!:)

12/2/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

(Edited by Basscat02)

So the LSU defense stopped the Alabama offense from getting a chip shot field goal 3 times, then blocked the 4th one and they finally got close enough once to get it done.  Sounds like skill to me on LSU's part and luck for Bama to even get the 2 field goals they got. Alabama was lucky to even get to play LSU , that is a priveledge for any team. Bama had theirs, they lost, move on.

12/2/11   |   derms33   |   17642 respect

Houston couldn't beat Ohio State

12/2/11   |   The_Real_Stoney   |   25103 respect

In fairness to Alabama, taking on Kent State, North Texas and Georgia Southern at home can be quite a test.. A test of what? I have no idea.  
SOS is subjective based on whose doing their own rankings.  For instance, the Colley Matrix which is one of the computer rankings in the BCS has Oklahoma State with the #5 SOS and Alabama with the #24
Random Stat of the night.. Overall records of the in-conference teams they beat?
Alabama: 42-42
Oklahoma St: 44-37

Alabama is a damn good team, but to pretend they've had to run through a gauntlet week in and week out goes back to the fact that the SEC outside of the top few teams is unbelievably overrated. 
Without a playoff system, subjectivity and money rule college football.  It is what it is and comes with the territory of being a fan of college football.

12/2/11   |   Mark_Guerrero   |   91 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
 Houston is flat out more deserving of a shot than Alabama. Only an idiot thinks otherwise, plain and simple. They're undefeated and unlike Alabama haven't lost to the clear number one proving they are not number one like Alabama has.  

Also, I'd like to know of this impressive resume Alabama supposedly has.  I do think they probably are the #2 team in the nation, but I'm sorry beating Penn State and Arkansas doesn't prove that.  They have a weak resume just like every other non-LSU team.

If Alabama has a weak resume what makes houstons!? Ugh nevermind anyone trying to say Houston is more deserving then bama is not knowledgeable about football to even argue with

12/2/11   |   Mark_Guerrero   |   91 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
 Houston is flat out more deserving of a shot than Alabama. Only an idiot thinks otherwise, plain and simple. They're undefeated and unlike Alabama haven't lost to the clear number one proving they are not number one like Alabama has.  

Also, I'd like to know of this impressive resume Alabama supposedly has.  I do think they probably are the #2 team in the nation, but I'm sorry beating Penn State and Arkansas doesn't prove that.  They have a weak resume just like every other non-LSU team.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Go compare houstons schedule to Alabama. You going to say Baka schedule dowdy prove much but have the nerve to say Houston is more deserving. I'm sorry you know nothing about college football for even considering Houston.

12/2/11   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

Mark_Guerrero wrote:
I couldn't disagree more. First of all anyone who thinks Houston should play for the national title is just a plain idiot if their honestly serious. Alabama is the CLEAR number 2. OkState lost to a unranked team and have a real good chance at losing to okla. Then what? When lsu last won the title they had 2 losses. Why did they get in? Because both Ls were in overtime. Bama lsu could of gone either way. There was no TDs scored and lsu only won because of luck. Luck that bamas kickers had a horrible night. It would be a disgrace to college football if there wasn't a rematch becuase these are the obvious Two best teams

 Houston is flat out more deserving of a shot than Alabama. Only an idiot thinks otherwise, plain and simple. They're undefeated and unlike Alabama haven't lost to the clear number one proving they are not number one like Alabama has.  

Also, I'd like to know of this impressive resume Alabama supposedly has.  I do think they probably are the #2 team in the nation, but I'm sorry beating Penn State and Arkansas doesn't prove that.  They have a weak resume just like every other non-LSU team.

12/1/11   |   Mark_Guerrero   |   91 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
 I think you and I agree coming from different perspectives.  I think giving Alabama a second chance is unfair to Okie State and company and you correctly point out that under the system we have its also unfair to LSU.

I couldn't disagree more. First of all anyone who thinks Houston should play for the national title is just a plain idiot if their honestly serious. Alabama is the CLEAR number 2. OkState lost to a unranked team and have a real good chance at losing to okla. Then what? When lsu last won the title they had 2 losses. Why did they get in? Because both Ls were in overtime. Bama lsu could of gone either way. There was no TDs scored and lsu only won because of luck. Luck that bamas kickers had a horrible night. It would be a disgrace to college football if there wasn't a rematch becuase these are the obvious Two best teams

12/1/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

pmichael45 wrote:
I don't think anyone would argue that a playoff system isn't the best way to go but we don't have one, yet. Under the current system, the #1 team plays the #2 team, period. To me, LSU and ALABAMA are the two best teams in the country. I don't care if they played each other 10 times during the regular season. They proved that by soundly defeating every other team they played, except each other. To argue that OK State deserves a shot when they were defeated by Iowa State is silly. Clearly that means they are not the second best team in the country. To say that Houston deserves a shot simply because they are undefeated is not valid either. Undefeated against whom? The one arguement that does hold water is that if Alabama and LSU square off again and Alabama wins, LSU fans have a vaild arguement then. Can anyone say "Co-National Champs"? These just are the two best teams in the country.

So let me get this straight. You do not use the SOS to justify Alabama being in the NC game, but Houston cannot qualify because of their SOS. You need to decide which way you want to go. It is not on a case by case basis. You use whatever means you can to get Alabama in but only SOS is used to keep other teams out. Nope, cannot do it that way. All teams are considered by the same rules. If SOS is used then Bama is out. If a head to head game is used then Bama is in.. But even that doesn't work, cause Bama lost to LSU in their own yard and the only other team they played that is currently ranked is Arkansas whose SOS is 2nd in the nation( No it is not Alabama as mentioned above. The 3rd ranked team in the SEC is Alabama, behind the 2 divisional winners. Why should the 3rd ranked team in any conference be in a BCS bowl period? The answer is...drum roll.....There is no reason. Alabama is out of the BCS bowl lineup.

12/1/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

(Edited by Hilblee)

Alabama's SOS is #2 and Oklahoma St's is #17----Long shot?   Houston is #75----Wyoming has a better SOS than Houston.

12/1/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

w_g_walters wrote:
LSU and Houston will both win their games by wide margins, leaving them as the only unbeaten teams in the nation. There's no doubt that LSU is a defensive powerhouse, and Houston's set a boatload of NCAA records this year while leading in scoring. That's why there MUST be an LSU-Houston matchup, the Unstoppable Offense vs. the Dominant Defense. Any other game won't be worth it.

Did Houston even play a ranked opponent this year?  Alabama would have ran thru the Conference USA like crap through a goose.  Heck, Tennessee would have also.

12/1/11   |   pmichael45   |   2 respect

I don't think anyone would argue that a playoff system isn't the best way to go but we don't have one, yet. Under the current system, the #1 team plays the #2 team, period. To me, LSU and ALABAMA are the two best teams in the country. I don't care if they played each other 10 times during the regular season. They proved that by soundly defeating every other team they played, except each other. To argue that OK State deserves a shot when they were defeated by Iowa State is silly. Clearly that means they are not the second best team in the country. To say that Houston deserves a shot simply because they are undefeated is not valid either. Undefeated against whom? The one arguement that does hold water is that if Alabama and LSU square off again and Alabama wins, LSU fans have a vaild arguement then. Can anyone say "Co-National Champs"? These just are the two best teams in the country.

12/1/11   |   Hilblee   |   1515 respect

(Edited by Hilblee)

I disagree--Bama earned it by being the #2 team in the country.  The #2 team in the country plays the #1 team in the country for the championship.  Thats the rules and they have been that way for a while. 
I really couldnt care less one way or the other, but bitchin bout your team not being #2 is pointless.  If they really wanted to be #1 or 2 in the country, they would schedule some powerhouse non-coference games to get their SOS up and their games on national TV and in the spotlight.
No matter what kinda system we have or end up with, schools are gonna bitch about something they feel slighted on.  Why are we not a #1 seed?  Why did they put us in the same division as the #1 team? How come we gotta play the #1 team in the first round?

11/30/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

Just a couple of questions. Guys, will you be honest with me? Am I so wrong in my thinking? If I am tell me where I am.

11/30/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

lsuby4 wrote:
If we are to follow your logic that when teams get hot and when they lose as a way of chosing who goes to the BCS Championship, then Houston is the only team that deserves a shot at LSU because they have not lost a game and are "hot". Mind you as an LSU fan, I don't want to see Alabama again, we've beaten them already. Nick Saben once said that if you don't win your conference, or even win your division, you should not be in the BCS Championship. He was LSU's coach then. Perhaps he shouldn't have gone to Alabama, he should be coaching USC.

I personally have no problem with LSU playing Houston. Houston's schedule does not suggest that but other than that, why not. Oklahoma States'schedule is stronger than Alabama's by a long shot. If they beat Oklahoma, they should be next in line, then possibly Houston, or Stanford or Boise St...So let's see, Alabama lost to LSU in their own yard, they have the weakest SOS than all of the other 1 loss teams.. Tell me again why they deserve LSU again.. Because someone said they are the only team that can beat LSU?? Don't think so, they lost to LSU.. PERIOD!!

11/30/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Forestwalker wrote:
This article makes a wildly false assumption that if Team A gets beat by Team B on a given day, they will always get beat by Team B anytime they play. If this were true, there would be no need for a 3-game series in baseball. I also think the argument, that the second best team in the country doesn't get a shot at the title simply because they're in the same division as the best team, is flawed. Face it, if Bama were in any other conference, they'd be that conference's champion. They are the only team that has a shot at beating LSU. If you schedule the rematch, it will be a close game. If you don't, LSU will blow out some other poor unsuspecting team. Personally, I don't care who gets the second spot in the championship. If it is Bama, it'll be a heck of a stressful game that will be that much more sweet if LSU wins again. If someone else goes instead of Bama, well, you've seen what they've done to every other team they played this year...

If we had a 3 game series then all would be as we want it. But college football does not follow that layout, so it is a mute point. The second best team has had a shot at the best team, that is why they are second best or worse. The next if, if Bama was in any other conference.....Bama is not in another conference. They are in the SEC. They have played 8 SEC teams just like all of the other SEC teams have. If Georgia loses by 3 points then by your argument, they should have another shot at LSU.. Why? Because they  lost? Don't think so.. All of the SEC teams who played LSU lost, some by fewer points than others. But there is no rule that says if you get beat by 3 points or less then there must be a rematch. Don't think so. A loss is a loss is a loss..No rematch is necessary. It has already been proven. LSU is the best, everybody else who played LSU is 2nd best. The best teams who have not played LSU should get their shot now. Bama has not earned it. Period!!

11/30/11   |   lsuby4   |   51 respect

So if LSU beats Alabama 9-6 in the BCS Championship game because Alabama missed another field goal are we still going to hear "coulda, woulda, shoulda" or are we going to give LSU the Championship trophy? Oh, we'll just give Alabama the AP trophy like we did USC.

11/30/11   |   lsuby4   |   51 respect

Terry wrote:
The best teams don't always win in any sport. The Giants weren't better than the 18-0 Patriots, they just got hot at the right time, same for the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals who just had 83 wins. Not to take away from any team who wins a championship, but it generally comes down to who got hot down the stretch when the playoffs began. While most people disagree with the BCS structure, somehow it generally gives us the best two teams over the course of the regular season playing in the championship game.

If we are to follow your logic that when teams get hot and when they lose as a way of chosing who goes to the BCS Championship, then Houston is the only team that deserves a shot at LSU because they have not lost a game and are "hot". Mind you as an LSU fan, I don't want to see Alabama again, we've beaten them already. Nick Saben once said that if you don't win your conference, or even win your division, you should not be in the BCS Championship. He was LSU's coach then. Perhaps he shouldn't have gone to Alabama, he should be coaching USC.

11/30/11   |   Forestwalker   |   1 respect

This article makes a wildly false assumption that if Team A gets beat by Team B on a given day, they will always get beat by Team B anytime they play. If this were true, there would be no need for a 3-game series in baseball. I also think the argument, that the second best team in the country doesn't get a shot at the title simply because they're in the same division as the best team, is flawed. Face it, if Bama were in any other conference, they'd be that conference's champion. They are the only team that has a shot at beating LSU. If you schedule the rematch, it will be a close game. If you don't, LSU will blow out some other poor unsuspecting team. Personally, I don't care who gets the second spot in the championship. If it is Bama, it'll be a heck of a stressful game that will be that much more sweet if LSU wins again. If someone else goes instead of Bama, well, you've seen what they've done to every other team they played this year...

11/30/11   |   w_g_walters   |   223 respect

LSU and Houston will both win their games by wide margins, leaving them as the only unbeaten teams in the nation. There's no doubt that LSU is a defensive powerhouse, and Houston's set a boatload of NCAA records this year while leading in scoring. That's why there MUST be an LSU-Houston matchup, the Unstoppable Offense vs. the Dominant Defense. Any other game won't be worth it.

11/28/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

steell24 wrote:
If LSU had lost to ALABAMA 9-6 in a close overtime game and had won statistically (most 1st downs, most yards gained, etc) like ALABAMA did, then all the LSU fans would be singing a different tune about how ridiculous it is to have a rematch between the best two teams in the country.  Who dat say Who Dat?

But LSU did not lose to Alabama, at least the last time I looked there was an "L" next to the score on the Alabama schedule. The difference between LSU and Alabama is , we have the right to complain because we are the best team in the nation, ahead of Alabama, no losses, nada, zilch, you lose, we are better than you , we beat you, you did not win, you have no control, etc. etc. etc.

11/28/11   |   ML31   |   3675 respect

Acknowledging what I said earlier...  The idea of two teams from the same conference playing in the title game makes zero sense to me.  It doesn't matter if anyone thinks they really are the top two.  They may be.  But I think the caveat to the system is that teams from the same conference should not be playing since we already know how they stand in relation to each other.

If it turns out that way, then #1 should play #3 for the title.  Period.

11/28/11   |   TigerSooner   |   125 respect

steell24 wrote:
If LSU had lost to ALABAMA 9-6 in a close overtime game and had won statistically (most 1st downs, most yards gained, etc) like ALABAMA did, then all the LSU fans would be singing a different tune about how ridiculous it is to have a rematch between the best two teams in the country.  Who dat say Who Dat?

Not this LSU fan Bubba. Rematches are for the birds. And you heard this LSU fan say dat. Just like I'm saying the rematches have to go just as the evil twins, the BCS and NCAA, are ridiculous.

11/28/11   |   steell24   |   1 respect

If LSU had lost to ALABAMA 9-6 in a close overtime game and had won statistically (most 1st downs, most yards gained, etc) like ALABAMA did, then all the LSU fans would be singing a different tune about how ridiculous it is to have a rematch between the best two teams in the country.  Who dat say Who Dat?

11/28/11   |   ML31   |   3675 respect

Remember when college used to be about getting an education and sports were just a side thing done for school spirit ONLY?

11/28/11   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

The rematch is ridiculous. I'm not just saying that because I'm an LSU fan, ANY rematch is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the fact that a team could play for the NATIONAL Championship when they failed to win their DIVISION in their conference. The whole thing is just ridiculous. I'm just glad LSU won or it would be even more BS...er BCS.

11/28/11   |   DERYKE   |   1204 respect

Playoffs take the top eight teams lets make it like many other sport.rankings do notwin a game maybe the number 8 can beat the number 1 team .Only way to tell for sure is to play the game!!!! Don't talk about it play it NCAA

11/28/11   |   ladyhuckleberry   |   43 respect

I've always been told that I'm a smart ass Cajun and it doesn't bother me but what does bother me is those who try and tell me what a friend I am then go behind my back and say exactly what I did an take credit for it. This whole bs thing with the evil twins has to go. I just wish that they could see how they're screwing over folks.

11/28/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

ladyhuckleberry wrote:
 The BCS is gettin more and more like it's evil twin the NCAA every day. Screw both of em. They both don't know or have a clue as to what the hell the other's talkin about. A rematch between LSU and Bama's stupid. Granted LSU beat em in their own back yard but daym c'mon the way LSU plays there's gotta be more than just an SEC opponent out there who they can play, i.e. PAC whatever, Big 12, hell even the WAC. It's as if playin Bama is really goin to make a difference. LSU would come back as winners again then what ya gonna do ask for a rematch at the Sugar Bowl. Give me a break.

I hear ya Ladyhuck, it's like politics now. It's not what you do it's who you p/o or who you brown-nose. Let the teams who deserve it get it. Period. Alabama lost at home, it's a done deal, let's move on without them.
Thanks for the comments.

11/28/11   |   ladyhuckleberry   |   43 respect

 The BCS is gettin more and more like it's evil twin the NCAA every day. Screw both of em. They both don't know or have a clue as to what the hell the other's talkin about. A rematch between LSU and Bama's stupid. Granted LSU beat em in their own back yard but daym c'mon the way LSU plays there's gotta be more than just an SEC opponent out there who they can play, i.e. PAC whatever, Big 12, hell even the WAC. It's as if playin Bama is really goin to make a difference. LSU would come back as winners again then what ya gonna do ask for a rematch at the Sugar Bowl. Give me a break.

11/27/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
 I think you and I agree coming from different perspectives.  I think giving Alabama a second chance is unfair to Okie State and company and you correctly point out that under the system we have its also unfair to LSU.

Yes, I can appreciate your position as well. I am glad you understood what I was trying to say, it was kind of difficult without sounding like an idiot..lol
Thanks

11/27/11   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

Basscat02 wrote:
Throughout the College football season we get an idea who is better than who simply by who beats  whom. We already know that Alabama is not better than LSU and that LSU is better than Bama, Oregon, Arkansas and 9 other teams they beat. And for argument, you can say that the teams that were beat by the 12 teams that LSU beat are also not better than LSU. Then you can do the same scenerio for the 2nd best team and who they beat and the teams those teams beat. But Alabama did not even play a top 10 team so not much help is available there. So Oregon beat Stanford and LSU beat Oregon, so Stanford is out. And so on. Then there are the teams who win or at least play in their conference championship games, or win their conference out right should be considered above the teams that did not win their conference. In the SEC, if you take the SEC West winner and SEC East winner as #1 and #2 in the conference, Alabama is 3rd in the SEC. Should a 3rd ranked team in a conference be allowed to play in a NC game?? For me personally, no way.. Want to really stir it up now? Georgia is #2 in the SEC and is playing for the SEC Championship against LSU. And Boise ST. beat Georgia. Holy Chit !!! Does that mean Boise St should go, especially if Georgia beats LSU?? Well, , I am an LSU Alumni and one of the most loud, arrogant fans of the Tigers.. So what it comes down to as for as I am concerned, is what is fair. The team treated the most unfair is LSU.. Why should LSU have to "re-prove" what we already know, ie, they have already proved that they are better than Alabama, Oregon and Arkansas. The fair thing to do is take the teams that have lost to # 1 LSU and drop them out. Then take the teams that lost to the teams that LSU beat and drop them out. Then take whoever is still standing and take the best of the rest and put them in the NC game against LSU. That would be maybe Boise St who plays absolutely no one, VT, who plays just no one or Houston whom I have no idea what teams they play and Okie St who would still have to beat Oklahoma to be considered.. Should Alabama be considered because they played LSU closer than anyone else? Nope!! A loss is a loss and case closed on that issue. I cannot figure it but the BCS, Coaches , AP, Harris Polls, etc. can. So let's be fair and do what is right. The only way you can tell if someone is better than someone else is how they played head-up. Drop the losers and keep the winners and move on. There is no other way.

 I think you and I agree coming from different perspectives.  I think giving Alabama a second chance is unfair to Okie State and company and you correctly point out that under the system we have its also unfair to LSU.

11/27/11   |   Basscat02   |   193 respect

Throughout the College football season we get an idea who is better than who simply by who beats  whom. We already know that Alabama is not better than LSU and that LSU is better than Bama, Oregon, Arkansas and 9 other teams they beat. And for argument, you can say that the teams that were beat by the 12 teams that LSU beat are also not better than LSU. Then you can do the same scenerio for the 2nd best team and who they beat and the teams those teams beat. But Alabama did not even play a top 10 team so not much help is available there. So Oregon beat Stanford and LSU beat Oregon, so Stanford is out. And so on. Then there are the teams who win or at least play in their conference championship games, or win their conference out right should be considered above the teams that did not win their conference. In the SEC, if you take the SEC West winner and SEC East winner as #1 and #2 in the conference, Alabama is 3rd in the SEC. Should a 3rd ranked team in a conference be allowed to play in a NC game?? For me personally, no way.. Want to really stir it up now? Georgia is #2 in the SEC and is playing for the SEC Championship against LSU. And Boise ST. beat Georgia. Holy Chit !!! Does that mean Boise St should go, especially if Georgia beats LSU?? Well, , I am an LSU Alumni and one of the most loud, arrogant fans of the Tigers.. So what it comes down to as for as I am concerned, is what is fair. The team treated the most unfair is LSU.. Why should LSU have to "re-prove" what we already know, ie, they have already proved that they are better than Alabama, Oregon and Arkansas. The fair thing to do is take the teams that have lost to # 1 LSU and drop them out. Then take the teams that lost to the teams that LSU beat and drop them out. Then take whoever is still standing and take the best of the rest and put them in the NC game against LSU. That would be maybe Boise St who plays absolutely no one, VT, who plays just no one or Houston whom I have no idea what teams they play and Okie St who would still have to beat Oklahoma to be considered.. Should Alabama be considered because they played LSU closer than anyone else? Nope!! A loss is a loss and case closed on that issue. I cannot figure it but the BCS, Coaches , AP, Harris Polls, etc. can. So let's be fair and do what is right. The only way you can tell if someone is better than someone else is how they played head-up. Drop the losers and keep the winners and move on. There is no other way.

11/27/11   |   Terry   |   25 respect

The best teams don't always win in any sport. The Giants weren't better than the 18-0 Patriots, they just got hot at the right time, same for the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals who just had 83 wins. Not to take away from any team who wins a championship, but it generally comes down to who got hot down the stretch when the playoffs began. While most people disagree with the BCS structure, somehow it generally gives us the best two teams over the course of the regular season playing in the championship game.