MLB Team-By-Team Previews 2009: Philadelphia Phillies

MLB Team-By-Team Previews 2009: One and Done? Or Look for More Phun?

4/3/09 in MLB   |   Ryan   |   153 respect

Philadelphia Phillies – 2008 World Series Champions. As sweet as that sounds to Phillies Phans everywhere, it means very little as the Fightin’ Phils suit up for 2009. Actually, what it means is that everyone will be gunning for them as they look to become the first team to win back-to-back World Series titles since the New York Yankees (1998-2000).
 
The last time the Phillies were defending a world championship, baseball experienced a strike-shortened season and the Phillies lost to the Montreal Expos in a special playoff round. Since there’s a better chance of my 401(k) turning a profit in 2009 than either of these events happening again, what will it take for the Phillies to repeat in 2009?
 
First, and foremost, they’ll have to find a way to beat the New York Mets. Even the most die-hard Philles fan can’t ignore the monumental choke job the Mets have done in each of the last two seasons. Last year the Phillies were 7-11 against the Mets, losing more games to them than another team. Of course, with the recent acquisitions in the NL East, the Mets won’t be the only team looking to de-throne the Phillies in 2009. An improved record against the Mets and avoiding another June swoon (12-14) can put the Phils on path for another post-season berth. 

Key Additions:
 Raul Ibañez, Chan Ho Park (did I really just type that?)
 
Key Losses: Pat Burrell, Tom Gordon, Adam Eaton
 
Projected Lineup
Jimmy Rollins (SS)
Shane Victorino (CF)
Chase Utley (2B)
Ryan Howard (1B)
Jayson Werth (RF)
Raul Ibañez (LF)
Pedro Feliz (3B)
Chris Coste (C)

Projected Rotation:
Cole Hamels (LHP)
Brett Myers (RHP)
Jamie Moyer (LHP)
Joe Blanton (RHP)
Chan Ho Park (RHP)

Strengths
Star Power: If the stars earn their money, the Phillies will be great again this year. Any lineup that features former MVP’s Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins is bound to be tough. Add Utley, a scrappy Shane Victorino and a consistent Ibañez to the mix and runs should not be a problem.     Brad Lidge and Cole Hamels will continue to lead the Phillies on the mound.

Weaknesses:
Star Power Outage? This could be an example of “Live by the sword, die by the sword”. How long until Chase Utley is 100% healthy? Is Cole Hamels’ elbow really tender or are the Phillies just being ultra-cautious? Also, the back end of their starting rotation could be dicey. Anytime you see Chan Ho Park penciled into your starting rotation, you should worry. He’s worked with Moyer in the offseason to develop his change-up. Will this be enough to return him to serviceable form? Also, how bloated will Joe Blanton’s E.R.A. get this year? Look for J.A. Happ to see some time as a starter, eventually cementing a place for himself in the rotation. It’s just a matter of whose spot he will eventually take.

Players to Watch

J.A. Happ: Expect Happ to spend some quality time in the bullpen while J.C. Romero serves his time on the “Naughty List”.

Honorable Mention: Hamels & Utley. If those two bounce back from setbacks early, the Phils will be dangerous once again.

Projection
The Phillies have the tools in place for another run. The few new additions to the team shouldn’t disrupt the clubhouse, which is always a plus. (Manuel said that the 2008 team was the first one he’s ever coached that didn’t have an issue in the clubhouse over the course of the season) Even though the road to a third NL East title will be tougher than the previous two, look for the Phillies to be in contention as the calendar turns to September. After that, it’s anyone’s guess!

Oh, I have to make a guess? How about:
2008: (92-70 – 1st NL East)
2009: (93-69 – 1st NL East)

Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

4/5/09   |   primo   |   1 respect

phillydeac4life wrote:
How do you know?  Do you watch the Phillies on a regular basis? Can you name 10 of the 12 players that are not listed above without looking on their roster? If not, then how can you make a statement without understanding all the information.   Do you have a magic crystal ball?  Are you a physic, and able to predict the future?  The thing is you dont know who is going to win the World Series.  Hey, if you do, then you should go to Vegas and make a lot of cash. 

this comment is 2 days late because i was at the casino placing my bet. and i can name 10 - 12 players on philly without looking at the roster. what will be funny is when you name 10-12 players on the Mets roster while adding their middle names...David F**king Wright! Johan F**king Santana! and so on and so forth

4/3/09   |   phillydeac4life   |   20 respect

Ryan wrote:
Man....last I heard was that Park would be the 5th starter and that Happ would be in the pen.  Didn't know they sent him down.  I know they talked about not even naming a fifth starter for awhile because of the way the schedule breaks up.

I think at some point before the All-Star break they'll make a move for another bat - or find one in the system.

Go Phils!

Happ has not offically been sent to AAA yet, but should be sent down before Sunday.  I mean it makes since because why would they have traded for Taschner.  Also, its for Happ's best interest down the road to keep pitching as a starter.  Having to go back and forth between reliever and starter can put too much stress on a pitchers arm, moreso in todays game with pitchcounts.  I know this might sound a bit strange, but I would rather have Happ in AAA than in the Bullpen for the following reasons.  (1) He does not do well coming out of the Bullpen, he got rocked just about every time he came out of the bullpen last year expect in his 1 post season apperance.  (2) If one of our starters gets hurt, boom, there he is ready to go as a starter.  Again, it is much easier for him to stay as a starter so he can be in his routin, than as a reliever, and have to readjust to being a starter again.

Personally, I would rather Happ start the season as the 5th starter for two reasons (1) last year he had some great starts, and given more time under his belt he has the potential to turn into a solid #2 or #3 starter.  I say go ahead, and let him to start learning his mistakes.  (2) Park did have a phenomal spring that no expected.  Can he maintain it during the regular season?  I hope so, but honestly who knows.  However, on this team he fits better in the bullpen as a long reliever.  Currently, the only long reliever we have in the bullpen is Durbin.  Granted Durbin was nasty up until the middle of August when he ran out of gas.  I dont know if Charlie overused him, never told Charlie he was getting tired, or just hit a wall before he knew what happened. The last month and a half of the season he got rocked.  My guess for the latter is it was his 1st time as a long reliever, and he did not pace himself.  He pitched 3.1 innings in the Postseason, and allowed 8 hits.  It did not effect his ERA too bad (4.50 in NLCS), but his fellow relievers got him out of his mess.  Therefoe, I worry about our long inning relievers, and feel that Park can split time with Durbin, thus preserving Durbin down the stretch. 

This brings me to my final point.  Durbin was a starter until last year when he moved to the bullpen.  Also, Myers was in the bullpen last year.  Both struggled adjusting to their new rules.  Honestly, this is why I believe Happ was sent to AAA, they know they have a great young pitcher, and do not want to mess with something good.

4/3/09   |   Ryan   |   153 respect

phillydeac4life wrote:
I apologize.  I guess that you did not hear about Park and Happ since you are in SC.  A day or two ago Park was announced as the 5th starter.  Happ was sent to AAA, and we traded  Polino (catcher from Pittsburg we traded for in the offseason) for Taschner, a lefty in the bullpen. 

From what I have gathered, sources close to the Phillies said that Happ does not like being in the bullpen because it messes with his mechanics.  The Front Office feels that he is more effective as a starter than in the bullpen, and they do not want to start switching him from bullpen to starter (look at Chamberlin).  I dont know how many people realize this, but their is a big difference between a starter and reliver both mentally and physically.  Another reason he  was sent down to the minors as an insurance policy so that if any of the starters get hurt, then they know their is a very effective starter waiting in AAA.  Also, by being in AAA he is able to work on just being a starter; whereas if he was in the bullpen he would not have that chance..  Happ will be a starter for the Phillies very soon, they is no point in messing him up.

As for the right handed bat, Stairs is ok, he is a professional pinch hitter, but I do not feel all that comfortable with him because he is horrible at running the bases.  There were quite a few times that he was unable to score because of his size, and if you use a pinch hitter, then there is one person left on the bench.  I guess they are going to use Cairo as the other right handed bat.  But, who knows, there are a ton of decent free agents still out there.

Man....last I heard was that Park would be the 5th starter and that Happ would be in the pen.  Didn't know they sent him down.  I know they talked about not even naming a fifth starter for awhile because of the way the schedule breaks up.

I think at some point before the All-Star break they'll make a move for another bat - or find one in the system.

Go Phils!

4/3/09   |   phillydeac4life   |   20 respect

Ryan wrote:
I think you totally missed my point with that comment.  I said there's a better chance my 401(k) will turn a profit than the Phillies losing to the Expos (who don't exist) in the playoffs or the season being shortened by the strike.

I still stink the injuries could be an issue and I agree with you about the right-handed bat.

I think Happ will help the bullpen out until Romero returns.

I apologize.  I guess that you did not hear about Park and Happ since you are in SC.  A day or two ago Park was announced as the 5th starter.  Happ was sent to AAA, and we traded  Polino (catcher from Pittsburg we traded for in the offseason) for Taschner, a lefty in the bullpen. 

From what I have gathered, sources close to the Phillies said that Happ does not like being in the bullpen because it messes with his mechanics.  The Front Office feels that he is more effective as a starter than in the bullpen, and they do not want to start switching him from bullpen to starter (look at Chamberlin).  I dont know how many people realize this, but their is a big difference between a starter and reliver both mentally and physically.  Another reason he  was sent down to the minors as an insurance policy so that if any of the starters get hurt, then they know their is a very effective starter waiting in AAA.  Also, by being in AAA he is able to work on just being a starter; whereas if he was in the bullpen he would not have that chance..  Happ will be a starter for the Phillies very soon, they is no point in messing him up.

As for the right handed bat, Stairs is ok, he is a professional pinch hitter, but I do not feel all that comfortable with him because he is horrible at running the bases.  There were quite a few times that he was unable to score because of his size, and if you use a pinch hitter, then there is one person left on the bench.  I guess they are going to use Cairo as the other right handed bat.  But, who knows, there are a ton of decent free agents still out there.

4/3/09   |   Ryan   |   153 respect

phillydeac4life wrote:
"Since there’s a better chance of my 401(k) turning a profit in 2009 than either of these events happening again, what will it take for the Phillies to repeat in 2009?"

Totally disagree with you here.  I could see your point if the Mets chocked 1 time, but they did back to back years.  In fact, the Mets are the most overrated team in Baseball.  They get all this attention the last few years, never even went to a World Series, and only won the divison once in 2006 when the core of the Phillies was every young.  The Mets do not redeserve any respect until they can show that they can win the NL East without chocking.  In fact, the team I am worried about in the NL East is not the Mets, but the Braves.  I would have been worried about the Marlins with their pitching staff, but they traded away Ugla and another big bat.  But Hey, I love the fact that everyone, including the National Media and Sports Illsurtrated are picking them to win the World Series.  It takes all the pressure of of the Phillies, and puts right on the Mets, a team that is known for chocking

The reason a lot of World Series do not repeat is that core players from that team leave in the offseason for more money.  Luckly, the Phillies had 12 playes in arbi, and about another 11 under contract.  The only free agent was Burrell and Eyre

The Phillies bring back all but 1 player from last years roster, Pat Burrell, and he is replaced by Ibanez.  All this did was trade power for more consistent hitting (Ibanez is a lifetime .300 hitter).  For those that do not know, Burrell is about as streaky as one can be, when he is cold he is cold, when he is hot he is hot.  The talk around Philly right now is who is the 5th starter, and they had to decied between two pitchers who had great Springs in Park and Happ.  Park's ERA this Spring was 2.53 and Happ's was 3.97.  Not too bad for a 5th starter.

The biggest injury I would worry about are the unexpected ones that happen during the season.

Theses are the problems that could prevent the Phillies from at least repeating as NL Champs:

1.  Injuries - How is Utley's Hip.  He looked fine in Spring Training Games, I saw him diving alll around to make plays.  He hit .257 in 35 AB, there not Utley numbers, but they are not horrible numbers either.  The biggest injury the Phillies have to worry about is their 3B Feliz who had back surgery in the offseason.  He missed a good portion of Spring Training, and got off to a slow start by not getting a hit in his first 16 ABs, but finished the spring with a .273 AVG.  Finally, people are pointing at Hamels.  Hamels is fine,  The reason people are on his case is because they do not understand that he is a creature of habit, and when one thing is out of line he goes nuts.  His elbow is fine, the team doctors, and the doctors in Philly found nothing on MRIs, and he pitched well in a few Minor League Games.  He wont be ready for opening day because he would not be pitching on 5 days restt,  Therefore, his start got pushed back to the 10th because they want Hamels and Myers pitch back to back.

2.  The only attidue this team has is swagger.  According to all the local media, they are not cocky, and have all intentions of repeating as World Series Champs, and being the 1st team in the NL to repeat in god knows how long.  This team is hungry, and understands they have the chance to do something special.  They understand they can build a dynasy and go down as one as the greatest teams in Baseball History.  From what I have gathered from the local media, last year is last year, they are not content with just winning the World Series once.  The core of this team is locked up for the next 3 to 4 years, and as long as they are together this is the team to beat not the Mets.

Here are their problems:

1.  Utley, Howard, and Ibanez are all leftys, and its appears that they could be the 3,4,5 hitters.  However, there is a good chance that Werth, a righy, might be hitting 5th.

2.  Their bench does not have a great right handed bat.  Currently their bench is Coste (backup catcher), Dobbs (pinchhitter, but lefty), Brunlett (verstalie above average defender that can play 2B, SS, 3B, and OF, can also pinch run, but is a below average hitter), Stairs (right handed power pinch hitter), Cairo (is an insurance policy for Utley, and will be the other right handed bat off the bench).

3.  The biggest problem that I see is losing Romero for 50 games.  Not only could he be a situational lefty, he could come in and pitch an entire inning.  Whereas Eyre is strictly a situational lefty, and will only pitch to one batter.  As a resutl, the Phillies traded for another lefy in the bullpen, Taschner who has not done much at all in the majors.

I think you totally missed my point with that comment.  I said there's a better chance my 401(k) will turn a profit than the Phillies losing to the Expos (who don't exist) in the playoffs or the season being shortened by the strike.

I still stink the injuries could be an issue and I agree with you about the right-handed bat.

I think Happ will help the bullpen out until Romero returns.

4/3/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

As a Braves fan I'm inclined to hate the Phillies, but they're entertaining.  I especially love the bold prediction from Cole Hamels that the Mets will choke.  I have a bold prediction - The next time you drink water, IT WILL BE WET!!!

4/3/09   |   phillydeac4life   |   20 respect

primo wrote:
still doesn't stop the fact that philly is not repeating. gillick or no gillick

How do you know?  Do you watch the Phillies on a regular basis? Can you name 10 of the 12 players that are not listed above without looking on their roster? If not, then how can you make a statement without understanding all the information.   Do you have a magic crystal ball?  Are you a physic, and able to predict the future?  The thing is you dont know who is going to win the World Series.  Hey, if you do, then you should go to Vegas and make a lot of cash. 

4/3/09   |   primo   |   1 respect

phillydeac4life wrote:
That means nothing.  The 1980 Phillies are not the 2009 Phillies.  You are comparing two different teams.  The only thing they have in common is the name on their uniform.  Can you name 1 player on the 1980 Phillies that plays for the 2009 Phillies?  Also, this stat about NL teams not repeating means nothing.  The past does not predict the future.  Also, what about the 1992-1993 Bluejays or the 1998,1999, and 2000 Yankees.  Therefore in MLB, 2 different teams have repeated within the last 15 years (the Yankees won 3 in a row).  Whats the difference between the AL and NL besides the DH.  However, what these two teams above have in common is that they kept the core of their team together, and added more peices when they repeated. The main problem that teams do not repeat is because major peices sign bigger contracts for other teams.  The Phillies followed the same blueprint as the Bluejays and the Yankees as for keeping the main parts together.  Oh, and who was the GM of that Bluejays team?  Pat Gillick, the same GM that put the Phillies together.  Yes, he is "retired", but he still has an office with the Phillies, and is a consultant that meets with Aamro on a regular basis

still doesn't stop the fact that philly is not repeating. gillick or no gillick

4/3/09   |   phillydeac4life   |   20 respect

primo wrote:
about the same chances of the phillies winning back to back world series. it took them 28 years since they last won

That means nothing.  The 1980 Phillies are not the 2009 Phillies.  You are comparing two different teams.  The only thing they have in common is the name on their uniform.  Can you name 1 player on the 1980 Phillies that plays for the 2009 Phillies?  Also, this stat about NL teams not repeating means nothing.  The past does not predict the future.  Also, what about the 1992-1993 Bluejays or the 1998,1999, and 2000 Yankees.  Therefore in MLB, 2 different teams have repeated within the last 15 years (the Yankees won 3 in a row).  Whats the difference between the AL and NL besides the DH.  However, what these two teams above have in common is that they kept the core of their team together, and added more peices when they repeated. The main problem that teams do not repeat is because major peices sign bigger contracts for other teams.  The Phillies followed the same blueprint as the Bluejays and the Yankees as for keeping the main parts together.  Oh, and who was the GM of that Bluejays team?  Pat Gillick, the same GM that put the Phillies together.  Yes, he is "retired", but he still has an office with the Phillies, and is a consultant that meets with Aamro on a regular basis

4/3/09   |   primo   |   1 respect

phillydeac4life wrote:
what makes you think the Mets wont collapse again.  They did two years in a row. 

about the same chances of the phillies winning back to back world series. it took them 28 years since they last won

4/3/09   |   yanksawboy   |   8 respect

phillydeac4life wrote:
"Since there’s a better chance of my 401(k) turning a profit in 2009 than either of these events happening again, what will it take for the Phillies to repeat in 2009?"

Totally disagree with you here.  I could see your point if the Mets chocked 1 time, but they did back to back years.  In fact, the Mets are the most overrated team in Baseball.  They get all this attention the last few years, never even went to a World Series, and only won the divison once in 2006 when the core of the Phillies was every young.  The Mets do not redeserve any respect until they can show that they can win the NL East without chocking.  In fact, the team I am worried about in the NL East is not the Mets, but the Braves.  I would have been worried about the Marlins with their pitching staff, but they traded away Ugla and another big bat.  But Hey, I love the fact that everyone, including the National Media and Sports Illsurtrated are picking them to win the World Series.  It takes all the pressure of of the Phillies, and puts right on the Mets, a team that is known for chocking

The reason a lot of World Series do not repeat is that core players from that team leave in the offseason for more money.  Luckly, the Phillies had 12 playes in arbi, and about another 11 under contract.  The only free agent was Burrell and Eyre

The Phillies bring back all but 1 player from last years roster, Pat Burrell, and he is replaced by Ibanez.  All this did was trade power for more consistent hitting (Ibanez is a lifetime .300 hitter).  For those that do not know, Burrell is about as streaky as one can be, when he is cold he is cold, when he is hot he is hot.  The talk around Philly right now is who is the 5th starter, and they had to decied between two pitchers who had great Springs in Park and Happ.  Park's ERA this Spring was 2.53 and Happ's was 3.97.  Not too bad for a 5th starter.

The biggest injury I would worry about are the unexpected ones that happen during the season.

Theses are the problems that could prevent the Phillies from at least repeating as NL Champs:

1.  Injuries - How is Utley's Hip.  He looked fine in Spring Training Games, I saw him diving alll around to make plays.  He hit .257 in 35 AB, there not Utley numbers, but they are not horrible numbers either.  The biggest injury the Phillies have to worry about is their 3B Feliz who had back surgery in the offseason.  He missed a good portion of Spring Training, and got off to a slow start by not getting a hit in his first 16 ABs, but finished the spring with a .273 AVG.  Finally, people are pointing at Hamels.  Hamels is fine,  The reason people are on his case is because they do not understand that he is a creature of habit, and when one thing is out of line he goes nuts.  His elbow is fine, the team doctors, and the doctors in Philly found nothing on MRIs, and he pitched well in a few Minor League Games.  He wont be ready for opening day because he would not be pitching on 5 days restt,  Therefore, his start got pushed back to the 10th because they want Hamels and Myers pitch back to back.

2.  The only attidue this team has is swagger.  According to all the local media, they are not cocky, and have all intentions of repeating as World Series Champs, and being the 1st team in the NL to repeat in god knows how long.  This team is hungry, and understands they have the chance to do something special.  They understand they can build a dynasy and go down as one as the greatest teams in Baseball History.  From what I have gathered from the local media, last year is last year, they are not content with just winning the World Series once.  The core of this team is locked up for the next 3 to 4 years, and as long as they are together this is the team to beat not the Mets.

Here are their problems:

1.  Utley, Howard, and Ibanez are all leftys, and its appears that they could be the 3,4,5 hitters.  However, there is a good chance that Werth, a righy, might be hitting 5th.

2.  Their bench does not have a great right handed bat.  Currently their bench is Coste (backup catcher), Dobbs (pinchhitter, but lefty), Brunlett (verstalie above average defender that can play 2B, SS, 3B, and OF, can also pinch run, but is a below average hitter), Stairs (right handed power pinch hitter), Cairo (is an insurance policy for Utley, and will be the other right handed bat off the bench).

3.  The biggest problem that I see is losing Romero for 50 games.  Not only could he be a situational lefty, he could come in and pitch an entire inning.  Whereas Eyre is strictly a situational lefty, and will only pitch to one batter.  As a resutl, the Phillies traded for another lefy in the bullpen, Taschner who has not done much at all in the majors.

 This writing is giving me a headach! The chance of the philles of repeating is me falling off the Empire State building and living and thats not a good chance or is it???????????????????????

4/3/09   |   phillydeac4life   |   20 respect

primo wrote:
talented? yes. repeat? not if the Mets don't collapse again!

what makes you think the Mets wont collapse again.  They did two years in a row. 

4/3/09   |   phillydeac4life   |   20 respect

"Since there’s a better chance of my 401(k) turning a profit in 2009 than either of these events happening again, what will it take for the Phillies to repeat in 2009?"

Totally disagree with you here.  I could see your point if the Mets chocked 1 time, but they did back to back years.  In fact, the Mets are the most overrated team in Baseball.  They get all this attention the last few years, never even went to a World Series, and only won the divison once in 2006 when the core of the Phillies was every young.  The Mets do not redeserve any respect until they can show that they can win the NL East without chocking.  In fact, the team I am worried about in the NL East is not the Mets, but the Braves.  I would have been worried about the Marlins with their pitching staff, but they traded away Ugla and another big bat.  But Hey, I love the fact that everyone, including the National Media and Sports Illsurtrated are picking them to win the World Series.  It takes all the pressure of of the Phillies, and puts right on the Mets, a team that is known for chocking

The reason a lot of World Series do not repeat is that core players from that team leave in the offseason for more money.  Luckly, the Phillies had 12 playes in arbi, and about another 11 under contract.  The only free agent was Burrell and Eyre

The Phillies bring back all but 1 player from last years roster, Pat Burrell, and he is replaced by Ibanez.  All this did was trade power for more consistent hitting (Ibanez is a lifetime .300 hitter).  For those that do not know, Burrell is about as streaky as one can be, when he is cold he is cold, when he is hot he is hot.  The talk around Philly right now is who is the 5th starter, and they had to decied between two pitchers who had great Springs in Park and Happ.  Park's ERA this Spring was 2.53 and Happ's was 3.97.  Not too bad for a 5th starter.

The biggest injury I would worry about are the unexpected ones that happen during the season.

Theses are the problems that could prevent the Phillies from at least repeating as NL Champs:

1.  Injuries - How is Utley's Hip.  He looked fine in Spring Training Games, I saw him diving alll around to make plays.  He hit .257 in 35 AB, there not Utley numbers, but they are not horrible numbers either.  The biggest injury the Phillies have to worry about is their 3B Feliz who had back surgery in the offseason.  He missed a good portion of Spring Training, and got off to a slow start by not getting a hit in his first 16 ABs, but finished the spring with a .273 AVG.  Finally, people are pointing at Hamels.  Hamels is fine,  The reason people are on his case is because they do not understand that he is a creature of habit, and when one thing is out of line he goes nuts.  His elbow is fine, the team doctors, and the doctors in Philly found nothing on MRIs, and he pitched well in a few Minor League Games.  He wont be ready for opening day because he would not be pitching on 5 days restt,  Therefore, his start got pushed back to the 10th because they want Hamels and Myers pitch back to back.

2.  The only attidue this team has is swagger.  According to all the local media, they are not cocky, and have all intentions of repeating as World Series Champs, and being the 1st team in the NL to repeat in god knows how long.  This team is hungry, and understands they have the chance to do something special.  They understand they can build a dynasy and go down as one as the greatest teams in Baseball History.  From what I have gathered from the local media, last year is last year, they are not content with just winning the World Series once.  The core of this team is locked up for the next 3 to 4 years, and as long as they are together this is the team to beat not the Mets.

Here are their problems:

1.  Utley, Howard, and Ibanez are all leftys, and its appears that they could be the 3,4,5 hitters.  However, there is a good chance that Werth, a righy, might be hitting 5th.

2.  Their bench does not have a great right handed bat.  Currently their bench is Coste (backup catcher), Dobbs (pinchhitter, but lefty), Brunlett (verstalie above average defender that can play 2B, SS, 3B, and OF, can also pinch run, but is a below average hitter), Stairs (right handed power pinch hitter), Cairo (is an insurance policy for Utley, and will be the other right handed bat off the bench).

3.  The biggest problem that I see is losing Romero for 50 games.  Not only could he be a situational lefty, he could come in and pitch an entire inning.  Whereas Eyre is strictly a situational lefty, and will only pitch to one batter.  As a resutl, the Phillies traded for another lefy in the bullpen, Taschner who has not done much at all in the majors.

4/3/09   |   adrisoto86   |   117 respect

Chan Ho Park will get hurt before the end of April.  Trust me I know I'm a Ranger's fan.

4/3/09   |   keppieboy   |   158 respect

primo wrote:
talented? yes. repeat? not if the Mets don't collapse again!

 Someone needs to give the Mets the Heimlich.

4/3/09   |   primo   |   1 respect

talented? yes. repeat? not if the Mets don't collapse again!

4/2/09   |   keppieboy   |   158 respect

Ryan wrote:
Sadly he's still alive and in the starting rotation.

I actually saw him pitch a few innings on TV.  He didn't look too horrible, but I'm not expecting a lot from him this year.  Who knows.....maybe Moyer can teach him to pitch well without really having stuff.  That would be a pleasant surprise.

 He used to be a good pitcher I wonder what happened.

4/2/09   |   Ryan   |   153 respect

keppieboy wrote:
 Chan Ho Park is he still alive?

Sadly he's still alive and in the starting rotation.

I actually saw him pitch a few innings on TV.  He didn't look too horrible, but I'm not expecting a lot from him this year.  Who knows.....maybe Moyer can teach him to pitch well without really having stuff.  That would be a pleasant surprise.

4/2/09   |   keppieboy   |   158 respect

 Chan Ho Park is he still alive?