Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has revealed he was eager to bring Fernando Torres to the Eastlands last year. Roberto Mancini admitted he was about to sign in Fernando Torres from Liverpool, but the ridiculous £50 million price tag kept him from acquiring his target.
In spite of missing out on Spain international, the Italian hailed the Spaniard for his skills. Roberto Mancini acknowledged the problems Fernando Torres has had in front of the goal this year, but he warned his men against the Spaniard. Well, Fernando Torres did score against the Manchester City in the Community Shield match-up earlier this year.
Roberto Mancini decided to sign in Edin Dzeko from Wolfsburg instead of signing in Fernando Torres during the January transfer window. Fernando Torres has labored fruitlessly to prove his worth to Chelsea, yet Roberto Mancini admits he is a big fan of the Spaniard.
“Yes, we wanted him and two years ago we had a chance but now he's at Chelsea,” Roberto Mancini told the Sunday World. “After this, we decided on other players and so we went for Edin [Dzeko].
“The price was too high for Torres. We had four or five strikers in mind. We talked about this player but afterwards we decided we were probably missing a player with different qualities, like Edin [Dzeko].”
Roberto Mancini backed Fernando Torres to rejuvenate at Chelsea following the arrival of former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez. The former Inter Milan manager believes Fernando Torres has a chance to start over fresh.
“[Fernando] Torres had a problem after Liverpool, but I don't know why,” Roberto Mancini said. “This is something that can happen.
“A top striker can have one year when he's a different player. The history of football is full of this, but he's scored important goals for Chelsea, he won the Champions League with them. I still think he's a good player. Every striker can have a difficult moment, but for me he is always dangerous.”
Fernando Torres, who scored 81 goals in 142 appearances for Liverpool in all competitions, has so far scored 19 goals in 87 appearances for Chelsea. The 28-year-old was dropped from Chelsea’s squad prior to the 3-0 defeat to Juventus earlier this week. The defeat led to the Chelsea’s exit from Champions League and Roberto Di Matteo’s departure from Stamford Bridge.