Matt Bradley Steps into Fight For Alex Ovechkin

Steve Downie vs. Alex Ovechkin, Er, Matt Bradley

1/13/10 in NHL   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

In the third period of last night's Capitals-Lightning game, Alex Ovechkin started to get into it with known goon Steve Downie. After both served matching roughing penalties, they went right back it. Soon after, the gloves were off and it looked like go time. However, Matt Bradley makes the beeline to the skirmish, and steps in for Ovechkin. Capitals Outsider has the video, and DC Sports Bog has the screenshots.



While the scene is funny and borderline ridiculous, as a Caps fan, I can't blame Bradley for his actions or thought process. Ovechkin may have been willing to fight, and probably would've held his own at worst, but he's still the captain, the superstar, and the franchise. You don't want to see him possibly get hurt in a fight, but Bradley made damn sure that wouldn't happen. As he himself said afterwards:

"We had a guy like that going after our best player, obviously we can't let that happen. I'll bet they would do the exact same thing if someone was squaring off with Stamkos. I mean, you don't let guys like that go after your best players, and he's our best player. And no matter who it is, we're not gonna allow someone like Downie to go after him."

Bradley will probably be punished, but he definitely earned points from the Caps faithful for this one.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

1/14/10   |   raptrbreth   |   19 respect

I have to agree that Ovechkin does play on the edge, but he does it all the time.  He might have given a few cheap shots, but no worse than the poster boy everyone seems to defend.  At least Downie's head was up when he dropped gloves.  Ovechkin doesn't seem to be the type to back down from anyone.

1/14/10   |   The_Real_Stoney   |   24958 respect

hskrdave wrote:
 I'll agree to disagree, because yes they might have hit at the same time, i don't think the knee contact was incidental. 

deal

1/14/10   |   hskrdave   |   10500 respect

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
when Ovechkin put his shoulder into Downie's chest and their knees happened to collide..

 I'll agree to disagree, because yes they might have hit at the same time, i don't think the knee contact was incidental. 

1/14/10   |   The_Real_Stoney   |   24958 respect

hskrdave wrote:
 Since when is a knee on knee hit a clean one?  he was penalized and suspended for one here in Carolina, including taking himself out for the rest of the game because of injury.  You're right he didn't know Bradley was going to come in, which does absolve Ovechkin, which I kind of alluded to in my second post.

when Ovechkin put his shoulder into Downie's chest and their knees happened to collide..

1/14/10   |   hskrdave   |   10500 respect

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
If you guys are saying the hit on the video was a cheap shot knee on knee hit, get on the god damn ice for once.. that was a clean hit, Downie had the puck and had his head down..Downie was being a bitch..
And you're acting like he picked a fight knowing Bradley was gonna came in?? seriously??

 Since when is a knee on knee hit a clean one?  he was penalized and suspended for one here in Carolina, including taking himself out for the rest of the game because of injury.  You're right he didn't know Bradley was going to come in, which does absolve Ovechkin, which I kind of alluded to in my second post.

1/14/10   |   The_Real_Stoney   |   24958 respect

again.. please tell me this is not a serious post

1/14/10   |   The_Real_Stoney   |   24958 respect

hskrdave wrote:
I am all for the goon sticking up for the superstar.  However, once again earlier in this game, Ovechkin went knee to knee with a player (not sure if it was Downie), and took off his gloves for this fight.  Most people think what happened was for the best, but personally i think Ovie acted like a bitch.  If he wanted someone to fight Downie for him, he should have ignored him, said something to Bradley, and let them go at it.

If you guys are saying the hit on the video was a cheap shot knee on knee hit, get on the god damn ice for once.. that was a clean hit, Downie had the puck and had his head down..Downie was being a bitch..
And you're acting like he picked a fight knowing Bradley was gonna came in?? seriously??

1/13/10   |   MarkTheShark   |   590 respect

Ovechkin is starting to earn a reputation as a knee-to-knee cheap shot artist. He did it to Downie and then Downie wanted to go.
Can't say I disagree with Bradley's actions though.

1/13/10   |   hskrdave   |   10500 respect

Eric_ wrote:
One, Bradley isn't a goon, and two, as far as I know, Ovie wasn't aware Bradley was going to do that. I mean, do you really want someone else to fight if you have the gloves and helmet off?

 You did watch this right?  Where they both talked about it and both threw down their gloves and helmets at the same time?  I'm sure Ovie didn't know Bradley was coming in the way, the way he just flew in out of nowhere.  So maybe Bradley shouldn't have been there?  I guess I've been reading and watching where everyone thinks this is right.  And I think Ovie is picking fights that he doesn't have to finish I guess.

1/13/10   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

hskrdave wrote:
I am all for the goon sticking up for the superstar.  However, once again earlier in this game, Ovechkin went knee to knee with a player (not sure if it was Downie), and took off his gloves for this fight.  Most people think what happened was for the best, but personally i think Ovie acted like a bitch.  If he wanted someone to fight Downie for him, he should have ignored him, said something to Bradley, and let them go at it.

One, Bradley isn't a goon, and two, as far as I know, Ovie wasn't aware Bradley was going to do that. I mean, do you really want someone else to fight if you have the gloves and helmet off?

1/13/10   |   hskrdave   |   10500 respect

I am all for the goon sticking up for the superstar.  However, once again earlier in this game, Ovechkin went knee to knee with a player (not sure if it was Downie), and took off his gloves for this fight.  Most people think what happened was for the best, but personally i think Ovie acted like a bitch.  If he wanted someone to fight Downie for him, he should have ignored him, said something to Bradley, and let them go at it.

1/13/10   |   Debi_L   |   11790 respect

Damn.  Probably woulda been a better fight if Ovie had gotten into it :D

1/13/10   |   guylake   |   321 respect

That is a great play by Bradley.