Motorsports 2013 Review: The Best Races
10. IndyCar Grand Prix of Baltimore Given that middle third of the race was almost completely under caution due to maximum DERPage, this race probably doesn't deserve to be on the list. However, it gets on thanks to a cracking final third, with Simon Pagenaud surviving challenges from Josef Newgarden, Sebastien Bourdais, Marco Andretti, and others to take the win. Newgarden took 2nd, his best career finish. I was at this race, which gave it more points, and it was likely the race that really made my 13 year old sister an IndyCar fan. To me, that more than earns this race its place on the list.
9. NASCAR Truck Series Chevy Silverado 250 The truck series first visit to Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (formally Mosport) had something for everyone. For racing fans, it was the closing lap duel between Ty Dillon and Chase Elliot. For racin' fans, there was Mike Skeen's girlfriend slapping Max Papis.
8. IndyCar MAVTV 500 In the old days, 500 mile races were about survival. Before you could win, you had to take care of the equipment and make sure you could finish. As equipment has gotten better, that kind of mentality has fallen by the wayside, but it came back in the IndyCar season finale at Fontana. Only nine cars finished thanks to crashes and mechanical failures. Through all that was the battle for the championship. Helio Castroneves did everything he could, but a late issue dropped him a lap and he finished 6th. Scott Dixon did what he had to do to win his 3rd IndyCar title, finishing 5th. Will Power won the race is what he called the most satisfying victory of his career. This race had twists and turns throughout, and could've ranked higher if it weren't for the accident that injured Justin Wilson.
7. Bathurst 1000 The biggest bummer in losing SPEED was the loss of US TV coverage of the Bathurst 1000, Australia's biggest race. However, we still got this video of the ending, as Mark Winterbottom held off Jamie Whincup to win his first Bathurst. The combination of the V8 Supercars at Mount Panorama, arguably the best race course in the world, makes for a fantastic race every year.
6. NASCAR Sprint Cup Irwin Tools Night Race I asked Scott for input on which NASCAR races to include (because I had no idea), and one of his suggestions was the night race at Bristol. In his words:
Matt Kenseth and Kasey Kahne put on quite a short track battle as they went at it the whole race. Kenseth finally held off Kahne at the line in what was one of the closest finishes in Nascar in 2013
Turn the page for the top 5.