What the New York Mets have done to their fans in the past few seasons has been borderline criminal. They have created their own little ponzi scheme with the products that they have fielded. They stole all of their fans tickets, memorabilia, gear and food/beer money and have given them SQUAT. They haven't even pretended they care. Well the jig is up, it's time to put the little money you have left, Fred Wilpon, when your big mouths are (you too, Sandy Alderson) and actually SIGN a major leaguer instead of talking about it. All we've heard since Omar Minaya left was "2014 is the year...etc". Well ... HERE WE ARE.
I want to take a look at the moves that I would make if I were running the Mets.
1) Sign Curtis Granderson. Don't think about it. Just do it.
2) Sign SP Bronson Arroyo. This guy EATS innings, never gets hurt and is a perfect fit for our ballpark. Becomes your #3 starter behind Wheeler and Niese.
3) Trade Lucas Duda, Dillon Gee and Wilmer Flores to the Cleveland Indians for SS Asdrubal Cabrera.
4) Sign C J.P. Arencibia. He provides you with some pop and Travis d'Arnaud insurance. Should TDA get hurt (again) you have an every day catcher. I really like J.P. Not the greatest (.210) OBP or the best defensive catcher but gets the job done.
5) Keep Ike Davis. Ike won't be counted on for much. Maybe takes some pressure off of him. He still has a great glove and could hit 30 HR's from the 6th/7th spot.
6) Sign Cuban shortstop Erisbel Barbaro Arruebarruena. The 23-year-old Cuban, ranked as the tenth-best prospect in the World Baseball Classic not signed to an MLB club by Baseball America. We need all the help we can get at SS.
7) Sign LHP Paul Maholm, aside from Jon Niese, the Mets have no left-handed starting pitchers at the major league level, and the high minors. Maholm would give them a decent lefty arm for 150 innings or so. Only made about $4.5 million last year. Cheap LHP option.
** LONGSHOT -- Trade Rafeal Montero, Cesar Puello and Kevin Plawecki for Rockies OF Carlos Gonzalez. Ah man. This guy is my favorite player in baseball.
Here is what the lineup and rotation would look like with these additions (not counting the Cargo trade -- that's a pipe-dream).
1. Juan Lagares RF
2. Daniel Murphy 2B
3. David Wright 3B
4. Curtis Granderson CF
5. Asdrubal Cabrera SS
6. Ike Davis 1B
7. Chris Young LF
8. Travis d'Arnaud C
1. Jon Niese
2. Zach Wheeler
3. Bronson Arroyo
4. Paul Maholm
5. Rafael Montero
2B/OF Eric Young Jr.
C J.P Arencibia
SS Ruben Tejada
1B/OF Josh Satin
OF Andrew Brown
INF Zach Lutz
This team COULD make a run for a wild card spot. No telling what may happen with Noah Syndergaard. He could come up in June/July-ish similar to Wheeler and you slide Maholm into the pen. Who knows. But I think this is a realistic and more important, an affordable offseason. Thoughts?