NFL Draft Bust All-Pro Team: Offense
NFL

NFL Draft Bust All-Pro Team - Offense (Warning To All 32 NFL Franchises)

4/5/09 in NFL   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

Mathematics is called the only "true science", boxing is called the "sweet science", but sports drafts are an INEXACT SCIENCE. With the NFL Draft coming up in a few weeks, I wanted to make all 32 teams aware of potential dangers in the draft.  A first round pick is a multi-million dollar investment.  When those investments fail, people lose their jobs (Coaches, GMs, etc.). So take a look at my NFL Draft Bust All-Pro Team and learn a lesson from these guys who fell flat on their face (or another part of their anatomy) in the NFL:

Quarterback: Ryan Leaf - Was their any other selection than Leaf? This guy completed more profanities than touchdown passes.  The Colts came very close to picking Leaf over Peyton Manning.  And while Leaf flamed out with the Chargers, Buccaneers, and Cowboys (they'll sign ANYBODY), Mel Kiper Jr. was making his bust for the Hall of Fame. Ummm...not so much Mel. Honorable Mention: Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Jim Drunkenmiller, Andre Ware, Tim Couch

Halfback: Lawrence Phillips
- Phillips wasn't a bust because he lacked talent.  Unfortunately for him, he enjoyed hitting women, children and teenagers more than hitting the holes the offensive line opened for him. But fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers should love this guy, because when the Rams took him 6th overall in the 1996 Draft, they traded some guy they had sitting around on the roster named Jerome Bettis. The rest is history.  San Francisco 49ers fans should hate him. He missed a crucial block on Arizona Cardinals CB Aeneas Williams, whou proceeded to lay a hit on franchise icon Steve Young that essentially ended his career. 

Halfback: Ki-Jana Carter - I hope Ki-Jana Carter doesn't read this, because it just might injure him.  He's on my Bust All-Pro team simply because he was the #1 overall pick, and a halfback taken #1 overall should produce more than just 1,144 rushing yards FOR HIS CAREER. Talk about bad karma - on his third career carry he blew out his ACL and seemed to have never been able to recover.
Honorable Mention: Curtis Enis, Blair Thomas

Wide Receiver: Charles Rogers -
Mel Kiper Jr was interrupted booking his flight for Canton for Charles Rogers' Hall of Fame induction by Charles Rogers severely sucking.  When Rogers wasn't breaking his collarbone, he was running horribe routes and dropping passes. He's just one of many gems selected by the great Matt Millen.  Who could Matt Millen have taken at WR instead of the terrible, criminalistic Charles Rogers. "With the third pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select Andre Johnson, wide receiver from the University of Miami." I digress.

Wide Receiver: Mike Williams - Yet another player that both Matt Millen & Mel Kiper Jr. were in love with.  Even after not playing football for a year and beingout of shape, the Detroit Lions selected him with the 10th pick of the 2005 draft (learning nothing from the Charles Rogers experience).  Plagued by the drops, bad route running, lack of conditioning, and just plain sucking, Mike Williams accumulated 44 catches for 539 yards and a pair of touchdowns for his career. (which is a decent month for Randy Moss). The next three picks in that draft have become All-Pros - DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, & Jammal Brown. Honorable Mention: Peter Warrick, Michael Westbrook
 
Tight End: Irv Smith – Part of me wanted to go with Derek Brown or David LaFleur or maybe even Vernon Davis, but as a Saints fan, I had a bird’s eye view of this bust. In the 1993 Draft, the Saints had two first round picks, #8 and #20. The #8 pick is pretty much a lock for Canton (Willie Roaf). The #20 pick – not so much. Irv Smith played four seasons in New Orleans, but never became the game changing tight end they were expecting when they drafted him in the first round (The search for a game changing tight end continues, even with that Shockey fellow on the roster). In the sixth round of the very same draft, a game changing tight end was selected – by the Houston Oilers – Frank Wychek. Wychek would have a productive career with the Oilers/Titans franchise and was in on the “Music City Miracle”. Imagine how much more interesting the “River City Relay” would have been with Wychek. Honorable Mention: Vernon Davis, Derek Brown
 
Offensive Line: Tony Mandarich – Sports Illustrated were just a couple of letters off when they dubbed Mandarich as the “Incredible Bulk”. He turned out to be an incredible bust. He never had what it took to be an NFL offensive tackle but had a semi-decent career as a guard with the Indianapolis Colts (Kinda reminds me of Robert Gallery).  Green Bay Packers fans probably have had many sleepless nights over the next pick in the ’89 draft – Oklahoma State halfback Barry Sanders – who Is enshrined in Canton.  Could you imagine a backfield of Brett Favre & Barry Sanders? Well, all we can do is imagine.
 
Offensive Line: Mike Williams – If I have hopes and dreams of becoming an NFL star, and my name happens to be Mike Williams, I’m gonna pull a Chad Johnson and get my name legally changed. Mike Williams was a dominant tackle at the University of Texas. The only thing Williams dominated in the pros was the ability to suck and the ability to get injured. After it (finally) became obvious to the Buffalo Bills that he couldn’t cut it at tackle, they bumped him inside to guard, which was tragically worse. Buffalo cut him in 2005 and he signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars, where he did essentially nothing. Forget the Madden Curse, there’s a serious Mike Williams curse going on. And for the Bills fans hoping that they address the need of defensive end/pass rusher in the draft, think about this – You could have had Dwight Freeny (selected 11th overall).
 
Offensive Line: Aaron Gibson: I watched this guy when he was at Wisconsin. He didn’t seem all that great to me. He seemed to depend on his size more than his ability, which is easy to do when you’re 6’6” 375. To the surprise of the Detroit Lions, Aaron Gibson played like a man who was out of shape and overweight (didn’t see that one coming). Also to their surprise he was injury prone. Three suck-tacular seasons, the Lions released him. He resurfaced with the Cowboys (told you they sign ANYBODY) and Bears. Gibson ended up with the Austin Wranglers. The next two picks sucked even more than he did (Andy Katzenmoyer and Dimitrius Underwood), So Lions fans can take some consolation there.
 
Offensive Line: Andre Johnson: Just think of where the Redskins would be if the drafted Andre Johnson. In case you didn’t know, they did. No, not THAT Andre Johnson, the offensive tackle from Penn State, drafted #30 in the 1996 draft.. Johnson was so great that the Redskins had him inactive for the entire 1996 season. During the offseason he was cut. He made appearances with the Dolphins and Lions before being out of the league by 1998. If they wanted to mess their franchise up, they could have just drafted T.O., who was selected #89 by the San Francisco 49ers.
 
Offensive Line: Trezelle Jenkins: Trezelle Jenkins maybe even a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf. Jenkins was drafted #31 by the Kansas City Chiefs in the 1995 Draft. He played in a whopping nine games in three years as a Chief, before spending time on the preseason rosters of the New Orleans Saints and Minnesota Vikings. Why do I say he may be a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf? The San Francisco Demons of the XFL drafted Jenkins in 2000, but said “thanks, but no thanks” and cut him. Not even Leaf was rejected by the XFL. Chiefs fans shouldn’t be to upset with this. Eighteen picks later, Barrett Robins was drafted by their AFC West rival Oakland Raiders. I think they’d rather have someone who sucks instead of someone who’s a psycho.  Honorable Mention: Kwame Harris,
 
Placekicker: Russell Erxleben: Sadly, I’ve been around for the majority of the New Orleans Saints draft screw ups (Jonathan Sullivan, Irv Smith, Ricky Williams), but fortunately the biggest draft dud in Saints history took place one year before my birth in 1979. With the 11th pick in the draft, the Saints selected Russell Erxleben, A PLACEKICKER!  The logic (and I use that word VERY loosely) was that Erxleben could punt and kick as he did in college, saving them that all important ONE roster spot. In his first game, he couldn’t handle a snap to punt and threw a pass, that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. The Saints finished one game behind the Rams that year in the division. The Rams made the Super Bowl that year, so who knows, right? Erxleben played in the NFL for 10 years, mainly as a punter. You should NEVER draft a PUNTER with the 11th pick. NEVER. Two picks later, Kellen Winslow was drafted (the original KW, not the f&%kin soldier). He was a game changing tight end who is now enshrined in Canton. The search continues.
 
Be wary NFL teams. Your draft pick can cost jobs, millions of dollars, or in some cases, cause your rivals to succeed. Be very careful April 25. If you're thinking about drafting defense, keep your eyes opened. Next will be the Draft Bust All-Pro Defensive Team.
 
 
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

4/10/09   |   BluDevil   |   618 respect

WhoDat12 wrote:
Actually there is the "pancake block" stat for offensive linemen (just for the record).  Unless you are unaware of the fundamentals of the game of football, offensive linemen BLOCK for the QUARTERBACKS, HALFBACKS, TIGHT ENDS, and WIDE RECEIVERS. If they don't block the skill players don't get their numbers.  They are a major reason why the skill players get the stats that they do.

I'd say they are *the* reason.

4/10/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

indysteelers wrote:
You bring up some good points but if stats matter that much Ken Anderson would be in the Hall of Fame and no O-Lineman would get in so there is a bit more than stats. As much as I love Bradshaw I am also not saying he is the greatest QB ever to play in the NFL but I would put him in the top 5 of the Super Bowl era. In no particular order- Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, Aikman, Brady. Although I would say that hands down Montana is the best in that group.

As far as Brady goes, that is my point, Vinatieri had to win those games but I guess you could also say that if Brady had better receivers it would not have come down to field goals. Brady is good But I Would still take Bradshaw over Brady.

Actually there is the "pancake block" stat for offensive linemen (just for the record).  Unless you are unaware of the fundamentals of the game of football, offensive linemen BLOCK for the QUARTERBACKS, HALFBACKS, TIGHT ENDS, and WIDE RECEIVERS. If they don't block the skill players don't get their numbers.  They are a major reason why the skill players get the stats that they do.

4/10/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

Pat wrote:
You just lost all credibility when you put Joe Namath in that group. Since you clearly have no clue what you're talking about, and you're just mentioning names that you've heard of, I will now feel free to ignore anything else you say, until you give me a reason to believe that you know something about football.

Joe Namath's career numbers:
173 TD, 220 INT
62-63-4 career record
2-1 career postseason record
3 postseason TD, 4 postseason INT

Tom Brady's career numbers (so far)
197 TD, 86 INT
87-24 career record
14-3 career postseason record
26 postseason TD, 12 postseason INT

When you can tell me what makes Joe Namath a better QB than Tom Brady without sounding ridiculous, I will pretend to care about what you're saying again.

Thanks, and have a good day.

p.s. Seriously... words can not even express the disgust that I have at your comment. I'm sorry that we couldn't have a more intelligent discussion, please try again sometime.

Wow, looking at Joe Namath's career numbers, it looks like he was "strugg-a-ling".


4/10/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

indysteelers wrote:
I would take Bradshaw over Brady. Bradshaw did not have to cheat to get his rings.

Picking Bradshaw over Brady is like picking Janet RENO over Janet JACKSON.

4/10/09   |   BluDevil   |   618 respect

Pat wrote:
Aside from Montana and Young, I can sit here and break down the exact reasons why none of those guys can hold Brady's jock, but clearly you have no interest in facts or reality, and just want to live in your own little fantasy world. That's fine.

And I actually do have a life... I just have a better job than you do.

Ahhh Montana and Young... those were the good old days!

4/10/09   |   BluDevil   |   618 respect

Pat wrote:
You just lost all credibility when you put Joe Namath in that group. Since you clearly have no clue what you're talking about, and you're just mentioning names that you've heard of, I will now feel free to ignore anything else you say, until you give me a reason to believe that you know something about football.

Joe Namath's career numbers:
173 TD, 220 INT
62-63-4 career record
2-1 career postseason record
3 postseason TD, 4 postseason INT

Tom Brady's career numbers (so far)
197 TD, 86 INT
87-24 career record
14-3 career postseason record
26 postseason TD, 12 postseason INT

When you can tell me what makes Joe Namath a better QB than Tom Brady without sounding ridiculous, I will pretend to care about what you're saying again.

Thanks, and have a good day.

p.s. Seriously... words can not even express the disgust that I have at your comment. I'm sorry that we couldn't have a more intelligent discussion, please try again sometime.

Come on dude, Joe Namath was drunk, give him a bit of a break!

What I'd really like to see are the trim statistics, I bet Namath got a lot more than Brady, but Brady might have him beat on quality. Plus Brady fathered a kid out of wedlock, I don't think Namath would have done that. He's too old school, would have made the chick "take care of it".

4/10/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
so your saying that brady is better than marino and favre aka the guys with the best stats in nfl history and favre was made of a brick wall and never missed a game

if you think that if tom brady's dad died and he would go out the next day and throw for 400  yards and 4 tds then well talk about who's better even though we both know the answer cause brady is a little girl with a butt chin, the only thing he has going for him right now is that hot wife of his

I am not going to speculate on how he would play if his dad died. That's simply tasteless, and everyone reacts differently. Honestly, I wouldn't blame him if he chose not to play at all the next day. And neither should you.

And I didn't say that Brady was better than all of them, I only said that I could sit here and break down exact reasons why those guys can't hold Brady's jock.

For example, he has 3 times as many Super Bowl rings as Favre and Marino combined, despite the fact that BOTH of them played more than twice as long as Brady has. Also, Brady throws 2.3 TD's per INT. Marino threw 1.67, and Favre threw 1.5 per INT. Brady averages 28 TD per season. Marino averaged just over 26, and Favre averaged 27, despite the fact that both of them had many more passing attempts per year.

If you'd like me to continue, I can. But I don't think it's necessary.

As for "the only thing he has going for him", I think you forgot the fact that Brady is a lock for the HOF, and he still has another 6+ seasons left. Despite missing almost an entire season to injury, he'll finish as one of the greatest QB's of all time... because he's already right up there with the best of them. You can say he's "a little girl with a butt chin", but that doesn't change the simple fact that he's the best quarterback on the planet, and he has owned pretty much everyone in the postseason, including your precious Steelers.

In fact, the Super Bowl that they won this year could be compared to the NBA Championships that the Rockets won when Jordan was out playing baseball. It's practically illegitimate, since everyone knows that the best player in the league wasn't there.

4/9/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
sorry i dont sit around and study football stats all day i actually have a life which apparently you dont from how many comments ive seen you post, and ok i was wrong about the namath pick i agree there but every single one of those guys with the exception of marino whose stats speak for themselves have won a super bowl/ championship and ill take them over brady anyday

Aside from Montana and Young, I can sit here and break down the exact reasons why none of those guys can hold Brady's jock, but clearly you have no interest in facts or reality, and just want to live in your own little fantasy world. That's fine.

And I actually do have a life... I just have a better job than you do.

4/9/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
your calling me a mindless homer?

you have your head so far up your ass you think that tom brady is one of the top 5 qbs to ever play the game

here are some names that are better than brady and i would take them over him anyday

dan marino
brett favre
joe montana
john elway
joe namath
steve young
terry bradshaw- isn't necessarily better but he wins and wins and wins and ill take him anyday
johnny unitas
bart star

You just lost all credibility when you put Joe Namath in that group. Since you clearly have no clue what you're talking about, and you're just mentioning names that you've heard of, I will now feel free to ignore anything else you say, until you give me a reason to believe that you know something about football.

Joe Namath's career numbers:
173 TD, 220 INT
62-63-4 career record
2-1 career postseason record
3 postseason TD, 4 postseason INT

Tom Brady's career numbers (so far)
197 TD, 86 INT
87-24 career record
14-3 career postseason record
26 postseason TD, 12 postseason INT

When you can tell me what makes Joe Namath a better QB than Tom Brady without sounding ridiculous, I will pretend to care about what you're saying again.

Thanks, and have a good day.

p.s. Seriously... words can not even express the disgust that I have at your comment. I'm sorry that we couldn't have a more intelligent discussion, please try again sometime.

4/9/09   |   LT21DaBest

Pat wrote:
How do you know they did? Why would the players waste time watching the tape, when supposedly the tapes were only for play calling purposes?

Come on people... THINK.

ok that still doesnt prove they didnt watch it
why would they waste time watching it? come on you think its the patriots
indysteelers is right you have a major azz case of denial or speed is a helluva drug

4/9/09   |   Michael_G   |   37573 respect

 I agree with Pat on baseball and basketball, I love the Red-Sox and the Celtics but I can't stand the Patriots due to integrity

4/9/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

indysteelers wrote:
You not pretending to know what was on those videos, you are in denial.

Then tell me exactly what was on the tapes, since you've apparently seen them. Please... enlighten us.

4/9/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

LT21DaBest wrote:

how do you know the players didnt watch the tapes???

How do you know they did? Why would the players waste time watching the tape, when supposedly the tapes were only for play calling purposes?

Come on people... THINK.

4/8/09   |   indysteelers

Pat wrote:
So YOU have seen the videos? You know how they cheated? Oh wait... no, you don't.

I'm not pretending to know what was on the videos. That's why I'm not trying to throw around accusation, and it's why I'm not saying exactly how it did or didn't help the team. Because I don't know. And neither do you.

What I DO know is that after they got caught, Brady had the best season ever for a QB. So clearly he didn't need it that bad.
(Edited by indysteelers)

You not pretending to know what was on those videos, you are in denial.

4/8/09   |   LT21DaBest

Pat wrote:
#1) How do you know he watched the tapes? There has never been any evidence whatsoever that the players watched the tapes. Even in the most bold of allegations, the tapes were only used for play calling purposes, so the coaches were the only ones who saw them. And even that hasn't been proven.

#2) The Patriots won 17 straight games AFTER getting caught. So they OBVIOUSLY weren't cheating, since they were under unprecedented scrutiny, and they still managed to win. So that's just a false statement.

how do you know the players didnt watch the tapes???

4/8/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

indysteelers wrote:
Do you smell that? It smell like crap, because you have you head up you ass.
WOW, you are in deep denial. Brady is part of an organization that cheated, so guilty by association.
If I honestly have to answer question #2 you are truly a idiot. Wait, you are an idiot to begin with.
How does cheating help some one win? You went to government schools I bet.
Have you seen the videos? If not then you can not say that they were not cheating. I guess that would mean that you are telling me what you think is on those videos.
I would not say that Brady is one of the 5 best QB ever to play the game because I have not seen the all play.

So YOU have seen the videos? You know how they cheated? Oh wait... no, you don't.

I'm not pretending to know what was on the videos. That's why I'm not trying to throw around accusation, and it's why I'm not saying exactly how it did or didn't help the team. Because I don't know. And neither do you.

What I DO know is that after they got caught, Brady had the best season ever for a QB. So clearly he didn't need it that bad.

4/8/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

LT21DaBest wrote:
#1) Tom Watched Bill Bellichecks "Tape" Which Is "Cheating"
#2)How Didnt It Help Them Win?? Matter Of Fact Its The Only Way They Could Win...

#1) How do you know he watched the tapes? There has never been any evidence whatsoever that the players watched the tapes. Even in the most bold of allegations, the tapes were only used for play calling purposes, so the coaches were the only ones who saw them. And even that hasn't been proven.

#2) The Patriots won 17 straight games AFTER getting caught. So they OBVIOUSLY weren't cheating, since they were under unprecedented scrutiny, and they still managed to win. So that's just a false statement.

4/8/09   |   indysteelers

LT21DaBest wrote:
#1) Tom Watched Bill Bellichecks "Tape" Which Is "Cheating"
#2)How Didnt It Help Them Win?? Matter Of Fact Its The Only Way They Could Win...

Here is a man that has his head on straight.

4/8/09   |   indysteelers

Pat wrote:
Really? I had no idea. I have never heard an arrogant, mindless homer Steelers fan mention that before. So... what's your point?

You are the LAST person that should be calling anybody a HOMER.

4/8/09   |   indysteelers

Pat wrote:
#1) Tell me exactly how Tom Brady himself cheated.
#2) Tell me exactly how that helped them win.

When you can get back to me with that, and actually tell me what you KNOW for sure, instead of what you THINK you know about some videos that you've never seen, then I'll listen to your garbage.

The fact is, Tom Brady is one of the 5 greatest QB's to ever play the game. Fact. Whether or not you choose to admit it is irrelevant.

Do you smell that? It smell like crap, because you have you head up you ass.
WOW, you are in deep denial. Brady is part of an organization that cheated, so guilty by association.
If I honestly have to answer question #2 you are truly a idiot. Wait, you are an idiot to begin with.
How does cheating help some one win? You went to government schools I bet.
Have you seen the videos? If not then you can not say that they were not cheating. I guess that would mean that you are telling me what you think is on those videos.
I would not say that Brady is one of the 5 best QB ever to play the game because I have not seen the all play.

4/8/09   |   LT21DaBest

Pat wrote:
#1) Tell me exactly how Tom Brady himself cheated.
#2) Tell me exactly how that helped them win.

When you can get back to me with that, and actually tell me what you KNOW for sure, instead of what you THINK you know about some videos that you've never seen, then I'll listen to your garbage.

The fact is, Tom Brady is one of the 5 greatest QB's to ever play the game. Fact. Whether or not you choose to admit it is irrelevant.

#1) Tom Watched Bill Bellichecks "Tape" Which Is "Cheating"
#2)How Didnt It Help Them Win?? Matter Of Fact Its The Only Way They Could Win...

4/8/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
just curious......how many super bowl wins do the pats have..oh 3 ok

just throwing this out there that the steelers have 6

Really? I had no idea. I have never heard an arrogant, mindless homer Steelers fan mention that before. So... what's your point?

4/8/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

indysteelers wrote:
How can you say he is good when he had to cheat to win?

#1) Tell me exactly how Tom Brady himself cheated.
#2) Tell me exactly how that helped them win.

When you can get back to me with that, and actually tell me what you KNOW for sure, instead of what you THINK you know about some videos that you've never seen, then I'll listen to your garbage.

The fact is, Tom Brady is one of the 5 greatest QB's to ever play the game. Fact. Whether or not you choose to admit it is irrelevant.

4/8/09   |   indysteelers

Pat wrote:
I would take Brady. And I would end up with one of the greatest QB's of all time, while you would end up with a very average quarterback.

That's fine that you would want to settle for mediocrity. I understand. Not everyone appreciates greatness. Clearly, you're one of the people who don't.

How can you say he is good when he had to cheat to win?

4/8/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

indysteelers wrote:
I would take Bradshaw over Brady. Bradshaw did not have to cheat to get his rings.

I would take Brady. And I would end up with one of the greatest QB's of all time, while you would end up with a very average quarterback.

That's fine that you would want to settle for mediocrity. I understand. Not everyone appreciates greatness. Clearly, you're one of the people who don't.

4/8/09   |   indysteelers

Pat wrote:
Brady threw the go-ahead TD with 2:42 left. He didn't choke. To even say that is nothing but pure ignorance.

So your entire comment is 100% irrelevant, due to inaccuracy.

Not to mention the fact that even without the offensive weapons that he has around him now, Brady had regular season numbers that were 10 times better than Bradshaw in any way.

The fact that you are trying to compare Bradshaw and Brady is ridiculous. As I said before, Vinny Testaverde was better than Bradshaw. Tom Brady is on a whole different planet than him.

I would take Bradshaw over Brady. Bradshaw did not have to cheat to get his rings.

4/8/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

indysteelers wrote:
And any could have done what Brady did if their organization was cheating. And yes I would take Bradshaw over Brady, because Bradshaw did not lose a Super Bowl. It amazing what happens to Brady when the Patriots can not tape the other teams walk through. Hell, he even had better receivers and still lost so again yea Bradshaw is better than Brady. The only stats I care about are wins and loses and Super Bowl rings. If, if, if...if the Patriots did not cheat they would not have won any Super Bowls but they did. I do not deal in IFs I deal in reality and the reality is that Bradshaw made those receivers not the other way around. And the other reality is that against the Colts in the AFC Championship game Brady choked. In Super Bowl 42 Brady choked. Bradshaw NEVER choked in a big game like Brady did.

Brady threw the go-ahead TD with 2:42 left. He didn't choke. To even say that is nothing but pure ignorance.

So your entire comment is 100% irrelevant, due to inaccuracy.

Not to mention the fact that even without the offensive weapons that he has around him now, Brady had regular season numbers that were 10 times better than Bradshaw in any way.

The fact that you are trying to compare Bradshaw and Brady is ridiculous. As I said before, Vinny Testaverde was better than Bradshaw. Tom Brady is on a whole different planet than him.

4/8/09   |   indysteelers

Pat wrote:
Terry Bradshaw is no better than Vinny Testaverde. In fact, I would put Testaverde ahead of him. Testaverde has better career numbers, and played on FAR worse teams. If he had the kind of weapons that Bradshaw did, he would have been a first ballot HOFer. And he's not that good. So my point is, anyone could have done what Bradshaw did with the Steelers. He was nothing special.

And any could have done what Brady did if their organization was cheating. And yes I would take Bradshaw over Brady, because Bradshaw did not lose a Super Bowl. It amazing what happens to Brady when the Patriots can not tape the other teams walk through. Hell, he even had better receivers and still lost so again yea Bradshaw is better than Brady. The only stats I care about are wins and loses and Super Bowl rings. If, if, if...if the Patriots did not cheat they would not have won any Super Bowls but they did. I do not deal in IFs I deal in reality and the reality is that Bradshaw made those receivers not the other way around. And the other reality is that against the Colts in the AFC Championship game Brady choked. In Super Bowl 42 Brady choked. Bradshaw NEVER choked in a big game like Brady did.

4/7/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
i love how everyone hates the steelers cause theyre so good and cause we now have the super bowl wins record

And that's not why everyone hates the Steelers. Everyone hates them because of all the crazies out there who say that Terry Bradshaw is one of the top 5 QB's of the Super Bowl era.

4/7/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Terry Bradshaw is no better than Vinny Testaverde. In fact, I would put Testaverde ahead of him. Testaverde has better career numbers, and played on FAR worse teams. If he had the kind of weapons that Bradshaw did, he would have been a first ballot HOFer. And he's not that good. So my point is, anyone could have done what Bradshaw did with the Steelers. He was nothing special.

4/7/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

indysteelers wrote:
You bring up some good points but if stats matter that much Ken Anderson would be in the Hall of Fame and no O-Lineman would get in so there is a bit more than stats. As much as I love Bradshaw I am also not saying he is the greatest QB ever to play in the NFL but I would put him in the top 5 of the Super Bowl era. In no particular order- Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, Aikman, Brady. Although I would say that hands down Montana is the best in that group.

As far as Brady goes, that is my point, Vinatieri had to win those games but I guess you could also say that if Brady had better receivers it would not have come down to field goals. Brady is good But I Would still take Bradshaw over Brady.

You would take Bradshaw over Brady? There is not a single intelligent argument in the world that you could possibly make to back that up. Not one.

And you're really putting Bradshaw over Favre, Young, Marino, Elway, Manning, Unitas? Once again... there is no logical way to justify that. 212 career TD, 210 career INT.. that's an average QB.

4/7/09   |   indysteelers

WhoDat12 wrote:
I thought Super Bowl rings were a TEAM ACCOMPLISHMENT.  I'm not saying Bradshaw wasn't good, all I'm saying is he wasn't as great as he appeared to be.  He was surrounded by superior talent. He won four Super Bowls with Harris, Swann, and the Steel Curtian. Since you brought up Brady, who the hell was he throwing to when they won it all both years? Jabar Gaffney thats who! And for the record STATS do matter, thats a huge part of the criteria to be a Hall of Fame QB. Look at the numbers from the other HOF QB's. They're better than Bradshaw's.

You bring up some good points but if stats matter that much Ken Anderson would be in the Hall of Fame and no O-Lineman would get in so there is a bit more than stats. As much as I love Bradshaw I am also not saying he is the greatest QB ever to play in the NFL but I would put him in the top 5 of the Super Bowl era. In no particular order- Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, Aikman, Brady. Although I would say that hands down Montana is the best in that group.

As far as Brady goes, that is my point, Vinatieri had to win those games but I guess you could also say that if Brady had better receivers it would not have come down to field goals. Brady is good But I Would still take Bradshaw over Brady.

4/7/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

indysteelers wrote:
At least he they are not Tony Romo's . Dilfer could win playoff games Romo can't. Staubach could not beat Bradshaw and Roethlisberger has as many Super Bowl Rings as Staubach. So if Ben and Terry suck, what does that say for Roger? Name me one other QB activaly in the NFL that has won 2 or more Super Bowls other than Brady. Peyton or Eli Mannig, no, Palmer, no, Drew Brees, no (he plays for the Saints after all), Rivers, no. 4th Quarter of the Super Bowl the ball was in Ben's or Terry's hands to win the game. Stats are for losers, championships are for winners. Super Bowl Rings are all that matters but I guess that is easy for me to say since my team has the most.

I thought Super Bowl rings were a TEAM ACCOMPLISHMENT.  I'm not saying Bradshaw wasn't good, all I'm saying is he wasn't as great as he appeared to be.  He was surrounded by superior talent. He won four Super Bowls with Harris, Swann, and the Steel Curtian. Since you brought up Brady, who the hell was he throwing to when they won it all both years? Jabar Gaffney thats who! And for the record STATS do matter, thats a huge part of the criteria to be a Hall of Fame QB. Look at the numbers from the other HOF QB's. They're better than Bradshaw's.

4/7/09   |   indysteelers

Pat wrote:
Bradshaw was a joke. I hate the fact that I'm defending Ben Roethlisberger, but what about the team Bradshaw had around him? And he STILL had mediocre career numbers.

Terry Bradshaw was an average QB, with a HOF RB and a ridiculous defense. He was the Trent Dilfer of his era.

Odd,This is coming for someone who has never seen Bradshaw play.
He wins four Super Bowls and he is the Trent Dilfer of his day? He was twice the Super Bowl MVP.

4/7/09   |   indysteelers

wrote:
ok good point, so Rolthisburger is the same as Bradshaw, there by making both of them Trent Dilfer's

At least he they are not Tony Romo's . Dilfer could win playoff games Romo can't. Staubach could not beat Bradshaw and Roethlisberger has as many Super Bowl Rings as Staubach. So if Ben and Terry suck, what does that say for Roger? Name me one other QB activaly in the NFL that has won 2 or more Super Bowls other than Brady. Peyton or Eli Mannig, no, Palmer, no, Drew Brees, no (he plays for the Saints after all), Rivers, no. 4th Quarter of the Super Bowl the ball was in Ben's or Terry's hands to win the game. Stats are for losers, championships are for winners. Super Bowl Rings are all that matters but I guess that is easy for me to say since my team has the most.

4/7/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

Pat wrote:
Bradshaw was a joke. I hate the fact that I'm defending Ben Roethlisberger, but what about the team Bradshaw had around him? And he STILL had mediocre career numbers.

Terry Bradshaw was an average QB, with a HOF RB and a ridiculous defense. He was the Trent Dilfer of his era.

Pat, I've waited so long for someone to share my opinion about Terry Bradshaw. He had Lynn Swann, Franco Harris, and the Steel Curtain. His career stat line: 212 TD's, 210 INT's, 70.9 QB Rating. Those are some very Rex Grossman-ish numbers.

4/7/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
Rolthisburger is no Bradshaw also and if it wasn't for the team around him he wouldn't have a Super Bowl. Also I didn't bother to use spell check, cause I don't give a damn how his name is spelled.

Bradshaw was a joke. I hate the fact that I'm defending Ben Roethlisberger, but what about the team Bradshaw had around him? And he STILL had mediocre career numbers.

Terry Bradshaw was an average QB, with a HOF RB and a ridiculous defense. He was the Trent Dilfer of his era.

4/6/09   |   Heyhey1970   |   194 respect

richman766 wrote:
And after Franco, who was there?

Penn St. also had a great back named Curt Warner, who was on pace to be a Hall-of-Famer with the Seattle Seahawks before tearing up his knee.  He was so good that Seattle went into Miami and beat them in a playoff game.  That was a big deal back then. 

4/6/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

shox13191 wrote:

Here is a quote from Peter King in an article of his from back in 2000 that I think we can all laugh at, "Unless Chargers quarterback Ryan Leaf robbed owner Alex Spanos's house last week, second-year coach Mike Riley's decision to bench him is downright idiotic."
Haha wow..

PETER KING is downright idiotic.


4/6/09   |   shox13191

Here is a quote from Peter King in an article of his from back in 2000 that I think we can all laugh at, "Unless Chargers quarterback Ryan Leaf robbed owner Alex Spanos's house last week, second-year coach Mike Riley's decision to bench him is downright idiotic."
Haha wow..

4/6/09   |   indysteelers

richman766 wrote:
And after Franco, who was there?

I will give you that =)

4/6/09   |   richman766

indysteelers wrote:
Franco Harris came out of Penn St. =)

And after Franco, who was there?

4/6/09   |   indysteelers

wrote:
I love how everyone pulls that stat out, yet how many times in that span did the Cowboys actually make the playoffs? 4 or 5, give me a break with that stat it isn't like we were in the playoffs every year for the last 12 and lost.

4 times since the 1997 season. So that is about once every 3 years only to get there ans lose =(
Roethlisberger is 8-2 in the playoffs during his career alone. Romo is no Aikman or Staubach and he will not get Dallas to their 9th Super Bowl.

4/6/09   |   indysteelers

wrote:
S**t so how long till Rothlisburger shows up?

I am assuming that you mean Roethlisberger.  We have computers and people still can not spell =( Government schools. It must be tough rooting for a team that has not won a playoff game since Dec. 28, 1996.

4/6/09   |   indysteelers

richman766 wrote:
Man, does this list say a whole lot about Penn St. running backs, or what???

Can't wait to see who's on the defensive side of the ball.

Franco Harris came out of Penn St. =)

4/6/09   |   richman766

Man, does this list say a whole lot about Penn St. running backs, or what???

Can't wait to see who's on the defensive side of the ball.

4/6/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

Heyhey1970 wrote:
I'd like to nominate Cade McNown to be Ryan Leaf's back-up. 

I second the nomination, only if Andre Ware can be the third stringer and holder for Erxleben to kick field goals.

4/6/09   |   Heyhey1970   |   194 respect

I'd like to nominate Cade McNown to be Ryan Leaf's back-up. 

4/5/09   |   snbslugger

BluDevil wrote:
Agreed on Davis. Just wondering why he'd be on this list and not Alex Smith. You'd think that based on the criteria used to make this list that if one of those two guys qualified the other one would as well, or else if one didn't the other one wouldn't too.

Leaf will always be #1 QB because he went bust so gloriously and famously.  Smith for the most part has kept his head down.

4/5/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

Keeter wrote:
Can't wait to see the "All-Bust Special Teams" as well !!!

Russell Erxleben was the special teams bust. The Saints drafted him 11th and he punted most of his career. You NEVER and I mean NEVER draft a PUNTER in the first round, maybe not in ANY round. 

4/5/09   |   kelski1974

WhoDat12 wrote:
Busts at quarterback and halfback are so plentiful hits hard to pick. You can go with Salaam, but you can also go with most of the Bears picks at QB (McNown, Grossman) and HB (Enis, Salaam) in the 90's.

Beat me to it with the picks of Salaam McNown and Grossberger oh yeah Dave Wannstedts sure fire cant miss of Penn State RB busts Curtis Enis. Although Larry Johnson seems to be breaking that finally having not to bad of a time in Kansas City. Talk about busts Todd Marinovich, Alonzo Spellman and Steve Entman

4/5/09   |   Keeter   |   92 respect

Can't wait to see the "All-Bust Special Teams" as well !!!

4/5/09   |   gobigblue1960   |   4803 respect

Well, what a great look back at some more Lions failures...Millen's failures were numerous, but the team has been a basic failure for over 50 yrs., and yet still we hold up hope for that one magical year.

4/5/09   |   LT21DaBest

Ryan Leaf should be the whole countdown

4/5/09   |   BluDevil   |   618 respect

snbslugger wrote:
Great Stuff, Whodat, although I would submit Heisman Trophy winner Rashaan Salaam as one of your busts at RB.

Vernon Davis isn't a bust, YET.  2009 will determine that.

Agreed on Davis. Just wondering why he'd be on this list and not Alex Smith. You'd think that based on the criteria used to make this list that if one of those two guys qualified the other one would as well, or else if one didn't the other one wouldn't too.

4/5/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

snbslugger wrote:
Great Stuff, Whodat, although I would submit Heisman Trophy winner Rashaan Salaam as one of your busts at RB.

Vernon Davis isn't a bust, YET.  2009 will determine that.

Busts at quarterback and halfback are so plentiful hits hard to pick. You can go with Salaam, but you can also go with most of the Bears picks at QB (McNown, Grossman) and HB (Enis, Salaam) in the 90's.

4/5/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

Pat wrote:
It was still a stupid #1 pick. They should have traded down to #3 or #4, picked up an extra draft pick or two, let someone else take Bush #1, and they could have still gotten Williams. So even if he ends up being the best player ever to walk on the face of the Earth, they made a poor decision, because they could have gotten him AND possibly a 3rd and 4th rounder. No matter how you slice it, that means they got less than they could have.

Williams would have been available at #2, #3, or #4.  In case we've all forgotten, the Texans drafted Mario Williams because he was easier to sign than Reggie Bush.  The Saints took a long look at Mario Williams at #2 even with Charles Grant & Will Smith on the roster.  They also took a long look at A.J. Hawk. When the Texans passed on Bush, the Saints literally ran to the podium. So far Mario Williams has had more impact, but he has been healthier than Bush. Either way you cut it, you could have had Mario later in the draft PLUS  extra picks.

4/5/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

snbslugger wrote:
Great Stuff, Whodat, although I would submit Heisman Trophy winner Rashaan Salaam as one of your busts at RB.

Vernon Davis isn't a bust, YET.  2009 will determine that.

Davis has been very underwhelming so far in his career. He's right now a bust in progress. If he has another year like he's been having - BUST.

4/5/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

THE_Smoot wrote:
I remember people thinking Mario Williams was a stupid #1 pick.

Williams > Bush.

It was still a stupid #1 pick. They should have traded down to #3 or #4, picked up an extra draft pick or two, let someone else take Bush #1, and they could have still gotten Williams. So even if he ends up being the best player ever to walk on the face of the Earth, they made a poor decision, because they could have gotten him AND possibly a 3rd and 4th rounder. No matter how you slice it, that means they got less than they could have.

4/5/09   |   THE_Smoot   |   70 respect

I remember people thinking Mario Williams was a stupid #1 pick.

Williams > Bush.

4/5/09   |   snbslugger

Great Stuff, Whodat, although I would submit Heisman Trophy winner Rashaan Salaam as one of your busts at RB.

Vernon Davis isn't a bust, YET.  2009 will determine that.

4/5/09   |   kizzlep

Breaking the Law-Rence Phillips...such potential

4/5/09   |   joshsanchez   |   57 respect

drn0iswatr wrote:
 awww....Ryan Leaf. Such a good move by my Cowboys...wait....no. Idiots.

i try to pretend that never happened . . .

4/5/09   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

Ahh yes, the 1996 Draft Day trade, possibly the best trade in Steelers history.

4/5/09   |   Michael_G   |   37573 respect

 Throw Alex Smith into the mix

4/5/09   |   drn0iswatr   |   731 respect

WhoDat12 wrote:
The Cowboys also made the "wise" move of signing Aaron Gibson and Dimitrius Underwood (you'll hear about him when the Defensive All Pro Draft Bust team comes out) who was the defensive line's version of Barrett Robins.

 sweet - looking forward to it!

4/4/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

I think the worst one is the Tony Mandarich pick. The Packers could have had Favre AND Barry Sanders. You have to wonder how many Super Bowls they would have won with both of them.

4/4/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

drn0iswatr wrote:
 awww....Ryan Leaf. Such a good move by my Cowboys...wait....no. Idiots.

The Cowboys also made the "wise" move of signing Aaron Gibson and Dimitrius Underwood (you'll hear about him when the Defensive All Pro Draft Bust team comes out) who was the defensive line's version of Barrett Robins.

4/4/09   |   drn0iswatr   |   731 respect

 awww....Ryan Leaf. Such a good move by my Cowboys...wait....no. Idiots.

4/3/09   |   kokomojo5   |   86 respect

This article is a SUPER read. This is really why we have bottom cellar teams, decade after decade!