NFL Power Rankings, Week 11

''Winning Ugly'' Drops The Saints To #2 This Week. No Surprise At #1, Though. [NFL Power Rankings]

11/17/09 in NFL   |   Pat   |   5233 respect

Here's this week's edition of the FanIQ NFL Power Rankings. Enjoy, and leave your thoughts in the comments section below:

1. Colts, 9-0, Last week: 2
They played better than anyone in the NFL on Sunday in their comeback win against the Patriots. They took a lot of punches, but kept fighting back.

2. Saints, 9-0, Last week: 1
Their last few games have been incredibly sloppy, and a 5-point win over the Rams is enough for them to drop from the #1 spot. They're better than that... they need to play like it.

3. Bengals, 7-2, Last week: 4
The Bengals made a statement with their season sweep of the Steelers. They're not the whipping boys anymore. This team is legit, and they're ready to compete in the playoffs.

4. Vikings, 8-1, Last week: 3
They're a solid team, but there's no doubt that they've benefited from an incredibly easy schedule. They're one of the best in the NFC, but I think the Bengals are outplaying them right now.

5. Patriots, 6-3, Last week: 6
They could have (and should have) beaten the Colts, if it were not for some questionable play calling my Bill Belichick. The good news for the Patriots is that if they are in that same position in the playoffs, Belichick will make all the right calls, and Peyton Manning will choke.

6. Steelers, 6-3, Last week: 5
They are not longer invincible, as the Bengals proved. Ben Roethlisberger and the offense were kept out of the end zone, and once again, Jeff Reed embarrassed himself on kickoff return coverage.

7. Chargers, 6-3, Last week: 9
The AFC West once again goes through San Diego. After 4 straight wins, they're tied with the reeling Broncos. They'll get a chance to play for the outright lead on Sunday.

8. Cardinals, 6-3, Last week: 11
The Cardinals are starting to play like they're a playoff team again, and it looks like they've got the NFC West in the bag. Beanie Wells can clearly be productive, when healthy.

9. Ravens, 5-4, Last week: 14
The Ravens looked pretty bad offensively in the first half against the Browns, but they eventually made some noise. Their defense was just ridiculously good though, as we expected.

10. Cowboys, 6-3, Last week: 8
This Packers game will have to be their "mulligan". A lot of things went wrong, but I think everyone knows this team should be a little better than that.

11. Broncos, 6-3, Last week: 7
They are who we thought they were? How much of the Broncos' 6-0 start was an aberration? How different would their season be if it weren't for the Stokley miracle in week one?

12. Atlanta, 5-4, Last week: 12
The Falcons have a great offense, but they need to beat teams like the Panthers if they want to make the playoffs. They'll be there at the end.

13. Jaguars, 5-4, Last week: 21
After a rough start, the Jaguars are rebounding nicely, and positioning themselves for a playoff run. If Maurice Jones-Drew continues to run all over everyone at will, they'll be fine.

14. Eagles, 5-4, Last week: 10
There's nothing to be ashamed of when you lose to the Chargers on the road, but the Eagles really have to bear down for the rest of the season, or they could be on the outside looking in.

15. 49ers, 4-5, Last week: 17
They finally snapped their 4-game losing streak with an ugly win over the Bears. I could see this team going either way at this point. Playoffs or an Alex Smith implosion are equally possible.

16. Texans, 5-4, Last week: 13
This week will actually be a tough test, as they'll take on a surging Titans team. Was it a bit harsh to drop them 3 spots after a bye? Perhaps, but it felt right.

17. Giants, 5-4, Last week: 15
Eli Manning desperately needs to right the ship this week, or their season could be perilously close to the edge. This team might end up 9-7, which would be a huge disappointment.

18. Packers, 5-4, Last week: 19
They somehow beat the Cowboys, after losing to the Buccaneers. I can't explain it, and I don't understand it, but it's clear that this team has multiple personalities.

19. Dolphins, 4-5, Last week: 20
The problem this year with the Dolphins is that they simply can't beat good teams. Unfortunately, they have at least 4 of them remaining on their schedule.

20. Panthers, 4-5, Last week: 24
They managed to beat the Falcons, but I refuse to believe in a team that features Jake Delhomme. He's the poor man's Ben Roethlisberger, with less talent around him.

21. Titans, 3-6, Last week: 23
The Titans are actually playing well, now that they've remembered that they're a running team. For the record, the answer was not Vince Young. The answer was abandoning the passing game.

22. Jets, 4-5, Last week: 18
The Mark Sanchez/Rex Ryan tandem is looking rough right now. The honeymoon is over, and they'll need to prove that they're legit against a very angry Patriots team next week. Not going to happen.

23. Bears, 4-5, Last week: 16
Jay Cutler is embarrassing himself right now. It's clear that he would be better off back in Denver right now, and I think Chicago fans might agree as well.

24. Seahawks, 3-6, Last week: 22
This team has too many injury issues and not enough talent. That's pretty much the story with them. The might win 6 games, but it's time to start looking for Matt Hasselbeck's long-term replacement.

25. Bills, 3-6, Last week: 25
The Bills are an awful team to watch. Terrell Owens is back at it again, yelling at coaches and teammates and still underperforming. Where's he going next?

26. Chiefs, 2-7, Last week: 28
Without Larry Johnson, they might actually be able to focus on football and win a game here and there. Jamal Charles actually looked pretty good in his place.

27. Redskins, 3-6, Last week: 27
Fans are outraged, the team is awful, and they're in a tough division. Their insanely easy early schedule is over, and so is their season.

28. Raiders, 2-7, Last week: 26
I can't wait for the 2010 NFL Draft, so I can see which bust the Raiders will draft with their top-10 pick. This organization is embarrassing.

29. Rams, 1-8, Last week: 31
The Rams are in a tough stretch right now. They can hardly beat anyone at all, but it's not helping that they're playing the Saints and Cardinals in consecutive weeks.

30. Buccaneers, 1-8, Last week: 30
If the Buccaneers win another game this year, I'll be shocked. They have 2 games each against the Falcons and Saints, and the Seahawks at home are probably their most "winnable" game.

31. Lions, 1-8, Last week: 29
The Lions are on their way to 2 seasons with 1 combined win. That's pure awesomeness right there. For the record, no matter how Matt Stafford turns out, that was a terrible pick.

32. Browns, 1-8, Last week: 32
I love watching Eric Mangini fail. Fortunately, it happens quite often. I don't care what anyone tries to say to defend him, he's a joke, and the Browns need to cut ties.


Leave your thoughts below. Let me know how smart (or stupid) I am.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

11/18/09   |   Aceraison   |   183 respect

Uh, oh!  Bengals are getting some credit.  Makes me nervous.  They have some bad teams coming up so they better whip up on some people over the next three weeks.

11/18/09   |   Joe_L   |   12372 respect

(Edited by Joe_L)

As it is just as silly to compare performances from two different games. Epically when you are comparing winning a great team like the Patriot to beating a horrific team Rams.

11/18/09   |   MCnine   |   7 respect

WhoDat12 wrote:
New Orleans deserves to drop to #2.  Injuries be damned, there's no excuse for only beating the Rams by five points.  The game left me feeling a lot like I felt after the LSU-Louisiana Tech game. Sure they won, but it feels like a loss because they played down to their competition.

I disagree. Think about the NCAA tournament,  a lot of time the eventual champion scrapes by a lowly team in the early rounds. As long as the Saints rebound, I still believe they are the number team. Plus we're going to beat the Colts this week. Or lose by 28. either way

11/18/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

Pat wrote:
When's the last time the Saints went to the big game?

You got that one Pat. We have never gone to the big game. Up until the early 1990's we've had a franchise stricken with futility. After that, it's been futility sprinkled with success.  I can agree that the "winning ugly" will catch up with you. But what I cannot agree to is the fact that the Patriots moved up in the rankings after losing. There is justification for the Saints moving down after struggling to put away the Rams, but where is the justification for moving up "your" Patriots after choking away their game?  There is no way they were supposed to lose that game after being up by 17 points. You should never lose a game with a three possession lead (that means the Dolphins should have beat the Saints). The reality is, they should have not lost that game, regardless of Slick WIllie Belichick's Switzeresque decision (which by the way I agree with actually - your defense can't be trusted if they let the other team back into the game after being up 17).  All that being said, winning ugly > losing with both hands around your throat.  I would switch the Patriots and Chargers in the rankings.

11/18/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

New Orleans deserves to drop to #2.  Injuries be damned, there's no excuse for only beating the Rams by five points.  The game left me feeling a lot like I felt after the LSU-Louisiana Tech game. Sure they won, but it feels like a loss because they played down to their competition.

11/18/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

New Orleans deserves to drop to #2.  Injuries be damned, there's no excuse for only beating the Rams by five points.  The game left me feeling a lot like I felt after the LSU-Louisiana Tech game. Sure they won, but it feels like a loss because they played down to their competition.

11/18/09   |   Pat   |   5233 respect

wrote:
You can't compare the numbers in two different games, that's just silly.

My point was, the Saints ugly win was better than the Colts ugly win because the Saints actually won theirs where as the Colts had theirs handed to them on a silver platter.  

I agree that you can't compare stats from different games, but the Saints beat a terrible team. The Colts, no matter how you feel about the win, beat a very good team.

11/18/09   |   khsicid

gobigblue1960 wrote:
The Game of the week in the NFL this Sunday, for all the marbles...#32 Cleveland @ #31 Detroit.!

Browns will end the season 1-8

11/17/09   |   Pat   |   5233 respect

Seth wrote:
Pat,
Promise me that if the Browns lose to Detroit, you won't rank any team #32, and then give the Browns a special ranking of #33 and keep it that way until they at least win a second game if that happens (which with Tampa, KC, and Oakland still on the schedule might happen, but at least makes for some really pathetic games in the future).

I will do that. I promise.

11/17/09   |   Seth   |   301 respect

Pat,
Promise me that if the Browns lose to Detroit, you won't rank any team #32, and then give the Browns a special ranking of #33 and keep it that way until they at least win a second game if that happens (which with Tampa, KC, and Oakland still on the schedule might happen, but at least makes for some really pathetic games in the future).

11/17/09   |   Joe_L   |   12372 respect


COLTS
Passing
CP/AT YDS TD INT
P. Manning 28/44 327 4 2
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
J. Addai 10 41 1 13
C. Simpson 4 36 0 16
D. Brown 4 14 0 7
Receiving REC YDS TD LG
R. Wayne 10 126 2 25
D. Clark 4 65 0 25
P. Garcon 3 50 1 29
A. Collie 6 45 0 17
J. Addai 2 27 1 15
D. Brown 1 8 0 8
G. Robinson 2 6 0 6
SAINTS
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
D. Brees 18/26 223 2 2
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
R. Bush 6 83 1 55
R. Meachem 1 41 0 41
P. Thomas 11 37 0 11
M. Bell 8 30 0 6
M. Colston 1 6 0 6
K. Eckel 2 6 0 7
Receiving REC YDS TD LG
D. Henderson 4 72 0 26
D. Thomas 5 45 0 18
J. Shockey 3 42 0 25
R. Meachem 1 27 1 27
M. Colston 2 17 0 9
R. Bush 2 15 1 15
P. Thomas 1 5 0 5
The Colts all around had better numbers than the Saints, so I don't see how they played worse than the Saints. And as for the coaching, I'll say it again that Tom Brady is just as much at fault as Bill decision if not more. The reason being is Tom and Bill have stated more than once that the play than ran has come through from then 100 times before, so with that said Wes Welker was 3 yards past the first down maker 4 steps ahead of his defender. If this play has came through that much in the past then Tom knows in his head were Wes is and knows that is a player that is going to come through in the clutch. And I'll say this again the Saints played a less than mediocre team and barley got by, and got beat in almost every static in the game, as did the Colts but they beat an elite team that made bad decision in the last 2:10 of the game. The Colts did what any team in the league would have done took advantage of bad decisions, well except maybe the Brown's.

11/17/09   |   DarkSexy   |   56 respect

Way to go Colts, My Eagles will bounce back and when and the Cowboys will contiunue to lose.

11/17/09   |   macblastr   |   59 respect

good up to #6... but the rest is a mess...

11/17/09   |   BluDevil   |   618 respect

Not sure that I'd put SF ahead of the texans, since the texans beat SF head to head. And that win over the bears shouldn't give niners fans a lot of hope that they've turned it around. Now if the can somehow, miracle of miracles, beat GB this week then that is a sign that they might have turned it around.

11/17/09   |   Joe_L   |   12372 respect

wrote:
The Saints play a classic trap game and survive and the Colts (who have played some sloppy games themselves) get handed a gift from the gods (or a genius even) and they get move forward?  Where is the logic in that?

It's not logic I've asked that same question before, its just Pat's opinion. And I would have to say i totally agree with it, the Saints go into the Edward Jones Dome and are beat in Passing, Rushing, and Receiving yards just to mention a few, BY THE RAMS a 1-7 team now 1-8. The Colts- Patriots game has been a game everyone has been waiting for since week one, these to teams are atop the league on almost every category. Even though the Patriots beat the Colts in every stat, the Colts won the game, bad coaching decision or not. In a nut shell the Saints played a less than mediocre team and barley won, and the Colts played on the the leagues elite teams and won that's why the Colts move up.

11/17/09   |   SaintDrew   |   31 respect

 As a Saints fan I think their ranking is fair. You can't scrape by the lowly 1-7 Rams. This should've been a 42-10 whipping but the Saints were sloppy. 

11/17/09   |   MCnine   |   7 respect

jerryyelverton wrote:
 I can hardly disagree with your top 2, since they are my 2 favorites. Hope they meet in the Super Bowl.
However, I'm not as high on the Bengals. I still would take the Vikings and Patriots over them.
After that, it's pick-em between the middle tier and lower tier teams.

we've played all three, and the power rankings are correct. The Bengals are legit and will be a tough out this winter. The Vikings will disappoint their fans again.

11/17/09   |   ary201   |   213 respect

Why?

11/17/09   |   ary201   |   213 respect

bayou71PR wrote:
Listen ary201 starting a sentence the way you did ,you really need to stop! seriously! WHAT ARE YOU 12

man, relax.

Your posts just don't help your cause. As a Saints fan you probably shouldn't talk about how long it's been since other teams have made the Super Bowl. Because....The Saints haven't EVER made it to the Super Bowl. Does that make sense?

11/17/09   |   Indysweety_Lola   |   105 respect

bayou71PR wrote:
Listen ary201 starting a sentence the way you did ,you really need to stop! seriously! WHAT ARE YOU 12

Seriously? Colts soooo deserve #1 after coming 17points behind the Pats and beating them. Saints should have had a BLOW OUT game against the Rams. Really, ST LOUIS! Common man!

11/17/09   |   kantwistaye   |   4215 respect

Heyhey1970 wrote:
It's interesting right now, because Indy deserves to be #1, but I believe teams 2, 3, 4, and maybe even 5 will be better in the playoffs. 

Agreed.  They're going as far as Peyton can take them, but teams like that don't go too far in the playoffs.

11/17/09   |   masonb   |   3 respect

makes me sick to hear Colts didn't win that game Pats lost it, how ridiculous does that sound, they were even in stats Pats' had more yards but they ran 9 more plays, Manning was fantastic , how old does that get saying over and over and over "manning was fantastic"

11/17/09   |   bayou71PR   |   94 respect

ary201 wrote:
jeez, that was a bad post. You should stop this. seriously.

Listen ary201 starting a sentence the way you did ,you really need to stop! seriously! WHAT ARE YOU 12

11/17/09   |   ary201   |   213 respect

bayou71PR wrote:

So, what if they were the patriots, man have you forgotten the last time the patriots when to the big game was two years ago. An, in the NFL that is along time. But you know that look at that team from the 90's. what was their name? oh yeah! the cowgirls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

jeez, that was a bad post. You should stop this. seriously.

11/17/09   |   bayou71PR   |   94 respect

I'm glad you clarified that for me since I'm just a fan." keep up the good work" or" job"  

11/17/09   |   Pat   |   5233 respect

bayou71PR wrote:
From the looks of it this year before your cowboys, chicago or pats.

I'm not a Cowboys or Bears fan, that's a long story, but it's part of my job with the site to have them listed as my teams so I can help with their team pages.

That being said, the Saints barely beat the Rams, and have been perilously close to losing to the Panthers and Dolphins, too. That WILL catch up to them. Their record means nothing when it comes to the playoffs.

11/17/09   |   bayou71PR   |   94 respect

Pat wrote:
When's the last time the Saints went to the big game?

From the looks of it this year before your cowboys, chicago or pats.

11/17/09   |   Pat   |   5233 respect

zzj000 wrote:
Hey one more thing Pat.... when are you going to give me my props for ACCURATELY pointing out to you the Bears freefall. Not only did I ACCURATELY predict which week it would begin but .... They have lost the games I ACCURATELY predicted week by week starting 5 weeks ago and I STILL stand by my prediction that they are an 8-8 team at best.     I'm still waiting big boy!!!

Nicely done on that. I'll give you more props if/when they finish 8-8 or worse. It's looking extremely likely right now. With their remaining schedule, 6-10 is highly likely.

11/17/09   |   Pat   |   5233 respect

bayou71PR wrote:

So, what if they were the patriots, man have you forgotten the last time the patriots when to the big game was two years ago. An, in the NFL that is along time. But you know that look at that team from the 90's. what was their name? oh yeah! the cowgirls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

When's the last time the Saints went to the big game?

11/17/09   |   zzj000   |   388 respect

Hey one more thing Pat.... when are you going to give me my props for ACCURATELY pointing out to you the Bears freefall. Not only did I ACCURATELY predict which week it would begin but .... They have lost the games I ACCURATELY predicted week by week starting 5 weeks ago and I STILL stand by my prediction that they are an 8-8 team at best.     I'm still waiting big boy!!!

11/17/09   |   Heyhey1970   |   194 respect

It's interesting right now, because Indy deserves to be #1, but I believe teams 2, 3, 4, and maybe even 5 will be better in the playoffs. 

11/17/09   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

bayou71PR wrote:

So, what if they were the patriots, man have you forgotten the last time the patriots when to the big game was two years ago. An, in the NFL that is along time. But you know that look at that team from the 90's. what was their name? oh yeah! the cowgirls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The Patriots were 6-2, the Rams were 1-7.  The Patriots coulda-woulda-shoulda knocked off the Colts, but it was a matchup of 2 good teams.  The Saints nearly crapped the bed against one of the 3 worst teams in the league.  Sorry, but there's no way you can justify having to come back against the Rams as being better than having to come back against the Pats.

 

11/17/09   |   zzj000   |   388 respect

(Edited by zzj000)

The point I was making Pat is that the Colts had wore down the Pats defense in the second half so badly that they would not have been able to even stop the Browns offense from scoring at that point. The Colts made 29 yds to paydirt look easy......but I think even Quinn, Delhomme or dare I say... even J Russell might have been able to accomplish that as well at that point. 
The other point I was making is that the COLTS O and D completely owned New England in the 4th qtr which somewhat surprised me. Not that the Colts arent that good... it just surprised me how tired the Pats looked and unable to block, rush, tackle or defend. IF I were a Pats fan that would worry me. The Colts on the other hand looked extremely strong, fresh and determined in the 4th qtr. Just what you would want to see from a team looking to return the Super Bowl. Did the crowd have something to do with that?  Possibly, but all roads lead thru Indianapolis now so you better get used to it. 

11/17/09   |   gobigblue1960   |   4803 respect

The Game of the week in the NFL this Sunday, for all the marbles...#32 Cleveland @ #31 Detroit.!

11/17/09   |   JCAL9   |   59 respect

Not too keen on the Peyton Manning choking comment, other than that.. nice post..

11/17/09   |   bayou71PR   |   94 respect

ary201 wrote:
uh huh. Not a very strong argument you got there. The Saints came dangerously close to losing to THE RAMS buddy. The Colts came back to beat THE PATRIOTS! You can't just gloss over that. You're seriously arguing that the Saints beating the Rams was more impressive because the Rams have nothing to lose. what?

And also keep in mind that a lot of people were counting the Colts out a little bit because THEY lost some important defensive players as well.

So, what if they were the patriots, man have you forgotten the last time the patriots when to the big game was two years ago. An, in the NFL that is along time. But you know that look at that team from the 90's. what was their name? oh yeah! the cowgirls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

11/17/09   |   Pat   |   5233 respect

zzj000 wrote:
It took a win over the Pats for you to finally break down and put the Colts where they deserved to be quite some time ago. WTG Pat..........

And Ive heard enough of the Bill Belichik bad decision excuse. The Pats defense couldn't have stopped the Browns from scoring a TD in the last 2 minutes of the Colts game. The Colts dominated the second half (on both sides of the ball) and WON the game.... not the Pats lost the game. Enough already.

Wait... you're saying that the Patriots couldn't even have stopped the Browns, and then in the same comment you're saying the Colts won it, the Patriots didn't lose it? Those are two directly contradictory statements. Which is it? Were the Patriots playing that badly that they would have lost to ANYONE at that point? Or were the Colts just that good?

You're clearly just over-utilizing hyperbole, and talking yourself into a corner. The Patriots proved that, at least while the Colts are injury-plagued (which they are right now) the Patriots are capable of being the better team.

When this game happens again in the playoffs, I'm not worried. Belichick will be back to his normal genius self, and Peyton will choke as always. I look forward to seeing it.

11/17/09   |   jerryyelverton   |   165 respect

 I can hardly disagree with your top 2, since they are my 2 favorites. Hope they meet in the Super Bowl.
However, I'm not as high on the Bengals. I still would take the Vikings and Patriots over them.
After that, it's pick-em between the middle tier and lower tier teams.

11/17/09   |   runt1972   |   1 respect

I think the falcons will make a comeback this week.

11/17/09   |   zzj000   |   388 respect

It took a win over the Pats for you to finally break down and put the Colts where they deserved to be quite some time ago. WTG Pat..........

And Ive heard enough of the Bill Belichik bad decision excuse. The Pats defense couldn't have stopped the Browns from scoring a TD in the last 2 minutes of the Colts game. The Colts dominated the second half (on both sides of the ball) and WON the game.... not the Pats lost the game. Enough already.

11/17/09   |   mk_donley   |   2554 respect

I know why the Bears have fallen this far: OC Turner and his poor play calling that's why.

11/17/09   |   gau13   |   217 respect

I love how Mangini looks fifteen years older now after dealing with the suckiness of the Browns.

11/17/09   |   ary201   |   213 respect

bayou71PR wrote:
I can respect the power ranking an understand how we stand in 2nd behind colts but keep in mind that unlike the colts we did not have to come back from a beating thru the game to win in the last minute because of a coach bad decision. Yes,I do understand that we played a team with a losing record but those are the ones that you have watch out for because they have nothing to loose,they will play for pride.An losing 3 of our DB starters did not help either. 

uh huh. Not a very strong argument you got there. The Saints came dangerously close to losing to THE RAMS buddy. The Colts came back to beat THE PATRIOTS! You can't just gloss over that. You're seriously arguing that the Saints beating the Rams was more impressive because the Rams have nothing to lose. what?

And also keep in mind that a lot of people were counting the Colts out a little bit because THEY lost some important defensive players as well.

11/17/09   |   wjdonovanjr

You are "SOFA KING" stupid!
Still so frustrated with the Pats, and thats a huige understatement! Would it have been; 1) Saints, 2) Colts, 3) Pats, if they took that game?
Why is it now, and i have fallen victim to it myself, that there is no hope for the Pats? They were and still are in my opinion, a better team, at least with the colts crippled...hah.

11/17/09   |   bayou71PR   |   94 respect

I can respect the power ranking an understand how we stand in 2nd behind colts but keep in mind that unlike the colts we did not have to come back from a beating thru the game to win in the last minute because of a coach bad decision. Yes,I do understand that we played a team with a losing record but those are the ones that you have watch out for because they have nothing to loose,they will play for pride.An losing 3 of our DB starters did not help either. 

11/17/09   |   hskrdave   |   10686 respect

 i know the Redskins suck, but i find it hard to believe with the same record as the Bills, the Bills are better.

11/17/09   |   ChiTown123   |   111 respect

 I dunno about  Bears fans agreeing that Cutler would be better off back in Denver...but the rest of ur power rankings look pretty good.