New Jersey officials looking to keep the power up at MetLife Stadium
In a press conference held on Thursday, senior vice president for NFL event management Frank Supovitz answered questions about energy issues regarding the coming Super Bowl. Super Bowl XLVIII will be held at MetLife Stadium, New Jersey on February 2, 2014.
“Super Bowl XLVII was interrupted due to a power failure for 34 minutes and roughly 35 minutes after the lights went out we began to consider ways to avoid a recurrence right here at MetLife Stadium,’’ he said.
Supovitz said that the officials were already on the issue of avoiding power outages in the future when power was restored last year.
“Based on what I’ve heard, our partners at the Super Bowl XLVIII Host Committee and PSE&G,” he said, “began their journey on the question while we were busy getting the second half of the game going again. They were already thinking ahead.”
Almost of third of the power to New Jersey is supplied by PSE&G. Its president Ralph LaRossa was hesitant to say that the same power outage would not repeat itself during the coming Super Bowl.
“I’ll never guarantee anything – that’s for Joe Namath and others to do. But the bottom line is for the folks that are worried that this area is going to experience some of the concerns,” he said “we’ve taken every precaution and every lesson that we could from the prior Super Bowl and applied all of those best practices and lessons here in New Jersey.”
“And as a result we’re going to have a terrific event.”
When the power went out last year, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was with some high ranking guests and one of them was Gov. Chris Christie. Goodell remembered him saying that if a power outage went out at New Jersey, “there will be bodies strewn in the parking lot of the people who are responsible for the lights going out, because that’s the way we handle things in New Jersey.’’ It would seem that the officials might be motivated into avoiding similar circumstances this time.