New York Yankees May Not Make The Playoffs For The First Time Since 1993

What happens if the Yankees Don't Make the Playoffs? Isn't There a Rule About That Somewhere?

8/13/08 in MLB   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Yankees fans: If the Yankees somehow pull it out and make the playoffs after this, you can thank me later. But let the record show that I'm not confident in their abilities. Enough so, that I can write this blog in good conscience, knowing that no amout of jinxing can get the Yankees into the playoffs.

For the first time in well over a decade, it looks like the New York Yankees will be on the outside looking in, once the MLB playoffs start. For some, this is heartbreaking. Yankees fans have come to expect great success, and anything short of a championship is a disappointment. To others (especially Rays fans), it's a welcome chance to see another team get a chance. For myself, it's a little bittersweet. I hate the Yankees as much as more than the next guy. But the thought of an October with no one to root AGAINST is a little hard to wrap my brain around.

The last time the Yankees missed the playoffs:


It's a bit hard to imagine October without the hated Yanks. Is there a team out there to hate? For many, that team is the Red Sox. They've already won 2 titles in the past 4 seasons, and their payroll is creeping ever closer to the Evil Empire. While they were once loveable losers, and the underdogs, they've shed both labels, and are trying to become the Patriots of baseball, minus the SpyGate scandal.

But for a Sox fan like myself, I have no one to root AGAINST. Anyone who plays the Sox is an instant enemy, but it's just that... instant. If the Red Sox lose to the Angels, Rays, White Sox, or whomever else they play, there will be no bad blood. If the Red Sox can't win the World Series this year, I would absolutely LOVE to see the Rays pull it off. I also would have no problem with seeing the Angels or White Sox tack on their 2nd in this decade. If the Twins or Rangers can sneak into the playoffs, I'd have no problem rooting for Josh Hamilton or Francisco Liriano to win.

Even in the National League, the teams are a largely likeable bunch. The Cubs and Brewers are perennial losers who are playing exciting ball in the Central. The Diamondbacks and Dodgers made some trades to bolster their respective chances in the West, and both teams (aside from one of Manny Ramirez' many personalities) are full of players that you just can't NOT like.The NL East has exciting teams like the Marlins, Phillies and Mets. The Mets have a few prima donnas, but none of these teams even remotely incite the ire that the Yankees can.

While it's going to be nice to see the Yankees fail for once, the playoffs might just be a little empty this year without the Evil Empire giving up their spot.

So good luck to the rest of the league, and congratulations on doing what has been impossible for more than half of my life: keeping the Yankees out of the playoffs.



P.S. If the Yankees make a playoff run down the stretch, call for help. Preferably in the form of a helicopter, because I'll be at the top of some high building somewhere, getting ready to jump.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

8/29/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

JKB37 wrote:

I could not find the numbers, but I know that for at least three of the last ten years Oakland has had the best record after the all star break.  Not to say that it's impossible for the Yankees, but the odds are looking longer and longer every day.

I'll look for the numbers to prove it, but it's definitely the Yanks. Thanks for the laugh though!

8/28/08   |   JKB37   |   2409 respect

Gazzo wrote:
Have you watched baseball at all in the last 10 years? The Yanks have the best record post-all star break in each one of those years, and they have made big runs like this before. Does that mean that it will absolutely happen this year? No, but they would be the most likely team to be able to make such a run is all.
(Edited by JKB37)

I could not find the numbers, but I know that for at least three of the last ten years Oakland has had the best record after the all star break.  Not to say that it's impossible for the Yankees, but the odds are looking longer and longer every day.

8/24/08   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

Gazzo wrote:
And I think that that's a ridiculous statement at best. 5 games is nothing. Just ask the 2007 Phillies/Rockies, along with a host of other recent teams. But hey, to each his own right?

Fair enough.  We'll see how it unfolds. 

8/24/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
If thats true, then fine.  As much as I rant against the Yankees, I really don't have much of anything against them.  I just think a 5 game deficit with 33 games is almost insurmountable.

And I think that that's a ridiculous statement at best. 5 games is nothing. Just ask the 2007 Phillies/Rockies, along with a host of other recent teams. But hey, to each his own right?

8/24/08   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

Gazzo wrote:
Have you watched baseball at all in the last 10 years? The Yanks have the best record post-all star break in each one of those years, and they have made big runs like this before. Does that mean that it will absolutely happen this year? No, but they would be the most likely team to be able to make such a run is all.

If thats true, then fine.  As much as I rant against the Yankees, I really don't have much of anything against them.  I just think a 5 game deficit with 33 games is almost insurmountable.

8/24/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
I don't get how it doesn't apply to the Yankees. I could be missing something obvious, so feel free to let me in on that.  As for it being that big of a deal, I'd say yes.  Anytime a major streak comes to an end its a big deal, and it'll be even bigger because its a New York team. 

Have you watched baseball at all in the last 10 years? The Yanks have the best record post-all star break in each one of those years, and they have made big runs like this before. Does that mean that it will absolutely happen this year? No, but they would be the most likely team to be able to make such a run is all.

8/24/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

danny_n94 wrote:
Well if you would notivce I called my shot before the yankees won the 2 games, not AFTER. Typical that you have no faith in them, or you would have called me out before then. Its so typical of a sensitvie yank fan. It makes it so much sweeter when they lose. Because the yank fan cant respond until something comes out favorable to them. Now thats PATHETIC!

Sorry that I don't live on this website in order to respond in the time frame that you believe is necessary. What are you even doing opening your mouth about them being unable to beat a team, when only one game has been played in the series anyway? Grow up dude.

8/18/08   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

Gazzo wrote:
Yea your statement applies to just about every team but the Yankees. And heck if they really do not make it, is it really that big of a deal?

I don't get how it doesn't apply to the Yankees. I could be missing something obvious, so feel free to let me in on that.  As for it being that big of a deal, I'd say yes.  Anytime a major streak comes to an end its a big deal, and it'll be even bigger because its a New York team. 

8/18/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

Gazzo wrote:
I guess 3-2 and 15-6 means you lose nowadays huh? Where do you people come up with this stuff?

Well if you would notivce I called my shot before the yankees won the 2 games, not AFTER. Typical that you have no faith in them, or you would have called me out before then. Its so typical of a sensitvie yank fan. It makes it so much sweeter when they lose. Because the yank fan cant respond until something comes out favorable to them. Now thats PATHETIC!

8/18/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
But realistically, at best they probably hope to go 4-2 in those games.  Thats only a net of 2 games.  That said, they still need to play ridiculous baseball over the next 40 games, regardless of how many games against the Sox they play.  If they Sox play better .500 from here on out, the Yankees are pretty much done.
By the way, Coolstandings has them down to a 4.9% chance of making it. 

Yea your statement applies to just about every team but the Yankees. And heck if they really do not make it, is it really that big of a deal?

8/18/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

danny_n94 wrote:
But they are not gonna make they playoffs. If they cant even be KC at home how can anyone think they are gonna catch the Rays or Redsox. Except delusional Yankee fan

I guess 3-2 and 15-6 means you lose nowadays huh? Where do you people come up with this stuff?

8/16/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

But they are not gonna make they playoffs. If they cant even be KC at home how can anyone think they are gonna catch the Rays or Redsox. Except delusional Yankee fan

8/16/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

But they are not gonna make they playoffs. If they cant even be KC at home how can anyone think they are gonna catch the Rays or Redsox. Except delusional Yankee fan

8/16/08   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

Gazzo wrote:
The Yankees have 6 games left against the Sox. Try knowing what you're talking about before you speak.
(Edited by kantwistaye)

But realistically, at best they probably hope to go 4-2 in those games.  Thats only a net of 2 games.  That said, they still need to play ridiculous baseball over the next 40 games, regardless of how many games against the Sox they play.  If they Sox play better .500 from here on out, the Yankees are pretty much done.
By the way, Coolstandings has them down to a 4.9% chance of making it. 

8/16/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

The Yankees have 6 games left against the Sox. Try knowing what you're talking about before you speak.

8/16/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

Pat wrote:
Perhaps you misunderstood. Or perhaps I worded that poorly.

But the bottom line is, it looks like the Yankees will miss the playoffs. And that hasn't happened in a long time. Everyone else apparently understood that, but I'm not surprised that your one-track mind was so easily confused.

That's not what you said. When will you stop with this ridiculous game? Are you seriously 3? It's getting old REAL fast man. Grow up.

8/15/08   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

Gazzo wrote:
This being the first year in over a decade that it appeared that the Yankees would not make the playoffs.

Since we're on that subject, I guess the last 42 games don't count either.
(Edited by kantwistaye)

While the Yankees aren't necessarily out of it, their odds are incredibily low.  They are 6.5 games back of the Red Sox.  Even if the Sox only play .500 ball the rest of the season, the Yankees would need to go 27-14 the rest of the way.  Its could be done, but I don't see a team playing .530 ball would magically turn into a .670 team the rest of the way out... and thats assuming that the Sox cool down.
Edit: Coolstandings has the Yankees playoff chances at 7.5%.

8/14/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Gazzo wrote:
This being the first year in over a decade that it appeared that the Yankees would not make the playoffs.

Since we're on that subject, I guess the last 42 games don't count either.

Perhaps you misunderstood. Or perhaps I worded that poorly.

But the bottom line is, it looks like the Yankees will miss the playoffs. And that hasn't happened in a long time. Everyone else apparently understood that, but I'm not surprised that your one-track mind was so easily confused.

8/14/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

Pat wrote:
What did I lie about?

This being the first year in over a decade that it appeared that the Yankees would not make the playoffs.

Since we're on that subject, I guess the last 42 games don't count either.

8/14/08   |   ChicaQueso

Brett Favre is a New York Jet.  Anything is possible in pro sports this year.

8/14/08   |   CMB   |   2226 respect

WBKsports wrote:
I was just joking when I said, "Maybe the Yankees should spend a little bit more money on their players then...." But if you want my serious take on it...The Tigers have chosen to mirror the same spending habits as the Yankees and they are 4 games below .500 in Mid-August. The Marlins have an incredible "Farm System", they trust in it, and they have a great chance at stealing the NL East title in 08. The Yankees play around with too many of their young players. Obviously their pitching staff is hurting, but who is doing the scouting for the Yankees these days anyways? If they would have added a couple more hard-nosed starting pitchers to their staff in 08, the "Pinstripes" would be back to 100+ Wins...What are they waiting for if their spending limit is unlimited???

Yeah, I didn't mean to necessarily single you out, just the typical comment in general.  That's the thing with adding a few more hard-nosed pitchers for '08.  If they had gone out in the offseason and added some of the big names (right now I can't recall any of the big names) they would have been once again labeled as buying a championship.  They actually tried to avoid the big spending by bringing up Hughes (considered one of the top prospects at the time) Kennedy, Chamberlain, a bullpen of Young minor leaguers in Ohlendorf, Bruney, Albaledejo, and Traber and sticking with Cabrera in CF instead of getting a big name.  Just by the unfortunate way things happened, none of these players except for Chamberlain has panned out to what they expected in '08.  The only problem I have with anybody seriously making that comment is that there are so many variables to look at in a team's season before simply just handing the trophy to the biggest spender.

8/13/08   |   WBKsports   |   366 respect

CMB wrote:
If spending money on players actually meant anything, explain why the Tigers (2nd in payroll) are doing so poorly, and Marlins (last in payroll) are 1.5 games out in their division, and the Rays (29th/30 in payroll) are leading the AL East by 3 games.  Maybe if the Yankees had the absolute best players around MLB on their team, people would have a right to complain that the Yankees spend so much money on THE BEST players.  The fact is, a lot of the big money contracts have been complete busts for the Yankees.  It's all about how well each of a team's players are performing, not about how much money they make.

I was just joking when I said, "Maybe the Yankees should spend a little bit more money on their players then...." But if you want my serious take on it...The Tigers have chosen to mirror the same spending habits as the Yankees and they are 4 games below .500 in Mid-August. The Marlins have an incredible "Farm System", they trust in it, and they have a great chance at stealing the NL East title in 08. The Yankees play around with too many of their young players. Obviously their pitching staff is hurting, but who is doing the scouting for the Yankees these days anyways? If they would have added a couple more hard-nosed starting pitchers to their staff in 08, the "Pinstripes" would be back to 100+ Wins...What are they waiting for if their spending limit is unlimited???

8/13/08   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

Since we're talking about how to run a baseball team, I think the perfect small market model is obviously either Oakland or Minnesota.  They've been getting the most out of their prospects and then moving them all decade.  As a fan of a fellow small market team (although our pay roll has exploded this year), I'm jealous of their success.

As for a big market team, its undoubtedly the Red Sox.  They've combined big spending with small market tactics.  Thats how every team should be run, and if more free spending teams start running their teams like the Red Sox all of the small market teams are screwed.  Us small market teams depend on big market teams to make mistakes and the Red Sox are really limiting those.

8/13/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

When I say they are the "perfect model of how not to run a baseball team" I'm talking about the fact that they have outspent the rest of the league by millions (billions, in the case of some teams) since 2000, and have nothing to show for it.

Their scouting is mediocre, their budgeting is downright awful, and the trickle-down affect that their exorbitant spending has on the rest of the league is bad for baseball, bad for fans, and bad for competitive balance. Sure, their incompetence evens the playing field a bit, but it's still a BAD thing when guys like Johnny Damon sign for way more than they deserve, because it drives up the contracts for other players, which drive up the prices for fans.

The Yankees symbolize everything that is wrong with baseball today.

8/13/08   |   CMB   |   2226 respect

"Why can't you just admit that the Yankees have been buying championships for years, and that they are a perfect model of how NOT to run a baseball team?"

Isn't that the point?  To do whatever it takes to win a championship?  I don't know about before the '96 season, but since then (except '98) they have apparently been "buying championships," and in those 12 seasons they have won 4.  I hardly think that by winning 1/3 of the championships in that time period qualifies for a team to be considered as being a "perfect model of how NOT to run a baseball team."

All I'm trying to say in all of this is that any team in baseball can win if they have the best performing players in a given season.  I know it's common sense and you know just as well as I know that It's the team of players that play the best throughout the season that will come out on top at the end of the season.  To simply hand it to the Yankees every year just because they spend the most isn't right.  Every team no matter what they spend will have roadblocks to deal with throughout the season.
Yankees: Trying to bring in younger talent but haven't done well whether it's injury or something else (Hughes, Cano, Cabrera, Wang) and they relied heavily on them to do well this year.  Hasn't happened.  Tigers: Picked by many as the favorite, having Cabrera, Sheffield, Ivan Rod., Renteria, Willis.  Unfortunately for the Tigers, things didn't work out with them and they sit 8.5 games out with their $138M payroll going towards Sheffield on the DL for much of the season, WIllis doing unexpectingly awful, Renteria not doing as well as expected, and Ivan Rodriguez traded off the team partly because of poor production.  Teams go into a season with what they believe to be the best team that they can build in the offseason (Whether it's bringing up top prospects, signing big name free agents, or something else) but everything still has to go right for them to win it all.

8/13/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Your argument is indescribably pathetic.

Why can't you just admit that the Yankees have been buying championships for years, and that they are a perfect model of how NOT to run a baseball team? I don't understand how anything you've said is supposed to make anyone feel any better about the Yankees.

Obviously, some teams can compete with lower payrolls. But if the Marlins, Twins, Athletics, etc had a higher payroll, it's safe to say that they would be doing even better. The Twins are doing well this year, but imagine if they had been able to keep Johan Santana. They would be doing even better. I think we can both agree on that. What if the Marlins were able to hold on to guys like AJ Burnett, Brad Penny, Josh Beckett, etc? What if the A's still had Rich Harden, Jason Giambi, Miguel Tejada, etc?

Just because the Yankees have been a total joke lately, you can't just act like money doesn't matter. You're only fooling yourself, and making yourself look like an idiot in the process.

8/13/08   |   CMB   |   2226 respect

Pat wrote:
I love how you justify your team by talking about how crappy their management is, and that they waste money on lousy players.

Ummm... you win?

There's no question that the Yankees management has made some of the dumbest moves in recent history, I can't even justify some of the things they have done.  My point is that a lot of people consistently go to the payroll argument trying to make it seem like spending enormous amounts of money automatically qualifies them as the best team.  Obviously Yankees management thinks that this is how it's done, and they have made this mistake over recent years thinking that they actually can scoop up everybody and in turn win a Championship every year (hasn't happened).  As much as I don't want to make any part of my team look like a joke, certain decisions (especially with their pitching: Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa) have made no sense.  People can ridicule the Yankees all they want because of the moves they've made in recent years (in regard to spending a lot of money) but so many times the teams without the most money are actually the best out there.
There's 2 ways to do it.  You either buy up as many players that think it takes to win you a world series, or you develop within the system.  It works both ways, and different franchises choose to, or are forced to do it a certain way.  Look at the Marlins ('97, 03') Twins & Athletics consistently doing well in recent years, Rays this year.  If the money spent directly resulted in team performance, why aren't the Red Sox ahead of the Rays?  Why are the Tigers 8.5 out?  How are the Marlins possibly in the race in the East even though they are spending $77,000,000 less than the Phillies who are leading that division?  It's because you have to actually go out and play the games to see who really has the best team.  Of course I would like to think my favorite team has the best players for every season, but here we are 120 games in and it just doesn't look that way as of right now.

8/13/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

CMB wrote:
If spending money on players actually meant anything, explain why the Tigers (2nd in payroll) are doing so poorly, and Marlins (last in payroll) are 1.5 games out in their division, and the Rays (29th/30 in payroll) are leading the AL East by 3 games.  Maybe if the Yankees had the absolute best players around MLB on their team, people would have a right to complain that the Yankees spend so much money on THE BEST players.  The fact is, a lot of the big money contracts have been complete busts for the Yankees.  It's all about how well each of a team's players are performing, not about how much money they make.

I love how you justify your team by talking about how crappy their management is, and that they waste money on lousy players.

Ummm... you win?

8/13/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

Carl Pavano disagrees. You just made a point against the Yankees. Look SD, Colorado were in the bottom 1/3 of payrolls last year and were in a playoff. The Rox went to the series and NY hasnt been out of the first round since the epic collapse in 2004. NY is overrated and all their apologists are getting tiresome

8/13/08   |   CMB   |   2226 respect

WBKsports wrote:

If spending money on players actually meant anything, explain why the Tigers (2nd in payroll) are doing so poorly, and Marlins (last in payroll) are 1.5 games out in their division, and the Rays (29th/30 in payroll) are leading the AL East by 3 games.  Maybe if the Yankees had the absolute best players around MLB on their team, people would have a right to complain that the Yankees spend so much money on THE BEST players.  The fact is, a lot of the big money contracts have been complete busts for the Yankees.  It's all about how well each of a team's players are performing, not about how much money they make.

8/13/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Gazzo wrote:
For the first time in over a decade it looks that way?? You must be kidding me. All you Yankee haters have been pulling that card for years. As early as last year in fact you and people like you wrote them off by August. I realize you're a homer and a Yankee hater, but don't outright lie dude.

What did I lie about?

8/13/08   |   JKB37   |   2409 respect

Gazzo wrote:
Why so you can complain about how they always make the playoffs because they are in such a weak division?

Yes..

8/13/08   |   Boski93   |   375 respect

Gazzo wrote:
Why so you can complain about how they always make the playoffs because they are in such a weak division?

Point to you sir.

8/13/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

Boski93 wrote:

Yankees are looking to petition MLB to move to the National League West.

Why so you can complain about how they always make the playoffs because they are in such a weak division?

8/13/08   |   Gazzo   |   18 respect

For the first time in over a decade it looks that way?? You must be kidding me. All you Yankee haters have been pulling that card for years. As early as last year in fact you and people like you wrote them off by August. I realize you're a homer and a Yankee hater, but don't outright lie dude.

8/13/08   |   danny_n94   |   114 respect

How can this not be a foregone conclusion. When Ol Hank is saying the Yankees are the team to beat in . . . . 2009

8/13/08   |   JKB37   |   2409 respect

Somehow..  When the Yankees don't make the playoffs...  I just can't hate anyone else...  I mean it just seems to me like all is right with the world...

8/13/08   |   Boski93   |   375 respect

Yankees are looking to petition MLB to move to the National League West.