Nottingham Rugby Team Purchases 1000 Inflatable Fans To Add To Stadium Atmosphere
Rugby League

No Fans? No Problem. One Team Has An Airtight Solution For Empty Stands.

3/16/09 in Rugby League   |   Pat   |   5232 respect



Nottingham's rugby team is having a bit of a problem getting fans to show up to their matches. No worries now, however, as they have found the solution to their problem of an abundance of empty seats. In their game on Sunday against Exeter, they enlisted the assistance of Airheads, a local company specializing in artificially created crowds for movies and TV shows.

There were 1000 inflatable "fans" in the stands for the game, in an attempt to give it more "atmosphere", and make it more appealing to other fans.

The Airheads director is Lee Harris, and he thinks that the inflatable fans will bring a boost to the club, which is currently suffering from pretty severe financial issues.

"As a local firm we are really keen to support Nottingham Rugby in their quest to raise the profile of the club.
We are hoping an extra 1,000 'people' in the crowd against Exeter, will encourage supporters of both rugby and sport to come and get behind their successful local team. Hopefully it will add to the atmosphere, and inspire people to come back again next week and help the team qualify for the Cup Final by beating Leeds."

I'm not sure that 1000 silent fans will really help the atmosphere, but good luck with that. I think a better idea would be inflatable officials, since that might even improve the quality of some games.


"You're not singing any more"  [BBC]
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

3/23/09   |   Brendanc8504

I dont understand why everyone is so upset. This blow up doll idea will work just fine for the Jaguars as well.

3/23/09   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

wrote:
I'm not acting like you are a Jags fan. You are the one who is acting LIKE a Jags fan. I commented about the Jags having a lack of fans to FILL their stadium. You responded defending them and attempted to change the subject by attacking my team.  I responded back to your erroneous facts.

By the way, the JAGUARS are the ones who lobbied to have a new stadium in 1995 that has 20,000 seats more than the previous stadium on that site. Its clearly an issue of their OWN making, because the Jaguars were experiencing local TV blackouts even during playoff years.

The Steelers, on the other hand, built a larger stadium (Heinz Field), than their previous stadium (Three Rivers), but not so big that it turned out to be overreaching.  I guess that makes them smart and NOT greedy.

And again, you missed the point about the Steelers. In 1972 when the Steelers started a streak of a record 281 straight sell-outs, they had won NO Super Bowls, were seen as a huge disappointment as a franchise, and their season record the 3 previous seasons were 1-13, 5-9 and 6-8. So don't act like the Steelers had sell-outs because they were having fantastic success. The sellouts began immediately upon modest success. The Steelers did not win their first SuperBowl until after 21 straight sellouts over the previous 3 seasons.

Your attempt at ripping the Steelers to distract from the fact that the Jaguars franchise is not well supported by the fan base is a weak attempt and is not supported by the facts. The fact still remains, that during playoff seasons, the Jaguars could not sell out home games, which resulted in local blackouts. They could have used these blow up dolls to fill their stadium instead of covering them up with tarps.

I used the Steelers as an example so you would maybe understand that what you are arguing is pathetic

And NO the JAGUARS were NOT the ones who lobbied. The investors of the stadium did it to attract an NFL team. So the Jags didnt do anything to sway the capacity because they werent around when the renovations took place. The stadium in Jax isnt just for the Jags its for bowl games and cocktail parties only the worlds largest and can host things like the superbowl. Its a stadium of Jacksonville not the Jaguars. In 1995 the Jags were just introduced so what the hell are you talking about "because the Jaguars were experiencing local tv blackouts even during playoff years?" Besides have you seen the old stadium? Jax needed a new one since it was about 50-60 something years old.

Wait are you suggesting the Steelers werent jealous that the pirates got their own park and the steelers had to deal with the hand-me-down stadium in three rivers? So they didnt get a new stadium because the pirates were finally on their own? The Steeler ownership just didnt want to pan out alot of money with their "scam B" I'm sure youre aware of that term. They added 6000 more seats. Having problems with too many people wanting tickets is unlikely since it was only a 6000 seat increase so it must be because of the Pirates getting their own park.

Clearly you missed my point in stating that the steelers were there for 39 years prior to your "record" setting sellouts. The numbers you displayed were from 2001-2008. Which the steelers had superbowls. Give Jacksonville more than a teenager lifespan and a chance to get some success before you call them out for anything.

Give the jags Heintz field and sellouts will come. But because Jax has to get ready for such events like a superbowl, UF vs UGA, Gator Bowl, ACC champ until this year, and more Jax has to have a bigger stadium . My point in calling out the stupidity of your comment was because it was ignorant of the true numbers in NFL games. They still reach a middle amount of attendence and to try to make fun of them is so ignorant of facts and actual numbers. Give the Jags 25 more years and maybe something different will happen.

Now just something different here... Three River had a capacity of 59000 right? well in 1970 the highest attendance that year was 50,214. 27 years later having trouble filling the smaller stadium. You gave the Jags 14 years to have sellouts every game. Thats what im pointing out. I could have used another team but I dont think that would affect you at all cause we all know how steeler fans are.

3/22/09   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

wrote:
You are quoting ESPN? Well not sure how ESPN figures sell-outs and their percentage, but here's the link to the Steelers Game Notes for the playoffs that references 281 straight SELLOUTS dating back to 1972. Get a clue. And the Steelers started having sellouts before they won A SINGLE SUPER BOWL. And sold out games through the terrible 80's.

Here's the link to the document to look for yourself. It's on page 7.




Face it the Jaguars, have a terrible fan base that doesn't buy tickets. The Steelers outnumber Jags fans when they grace the Florida landscape. And that's true for about 75% of NFL franchises.

Thats a terrible comparison though. Steelers have won 6 superbowls and date back to 1933
The jags are 14 years old in a city that doesnt have any other pro sports. No huge college football team. So I really dont know why you are getting on the Jags case about this because it is clear that the Jags are doing better than about 11 other teams. Sellout or not the Jaguars have more people in their stadium than the Steelers do. The pathetic team record is still 2000 shy of the Jags average in 2008. Its alot easier to go to games when that franchise has won 6 superbowls and has been there for 76 years. Your argument is moot.

Im not a Jag fan by any means. I'm a Dolphins. I got season tickets last year because im in jacksonville and i might as well experience season tickets to an NFL team. You act like Im a fan for them. Im not.

3/21/09   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

68,000 something i think

3/21/09   |   MarkTheShark   |   590 respect

Pat wrote:
Honestly, I could give a crap about either team. They are both hovering around 97% capacity, according to your link.

The only important number for me is the 101.1% for the Patriots, meaning they average MORE than a sellout. Once again, the Patriots prove to be one of the premier organizations in the NFL in this decade, by any and every standard.

What's the capacity of Gillette Stadium?

3/21/09   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

Pat wrote:
Honestly, I could give a crap about either team. They are both hovering around 97% capacity, according to your link.

The only important number for me is the 101.1% for the Patriots, meaning they average MORE than a sellout. Once again, the Patriots prove to be one of the premier organizations in the NFL in this decade, by any and every standard.

I never said otherwise. Their superbowls put them at the next level to elite franchise. No doubt about that. It's according to ESPN which isnt some stupid nobody website. No one ever said the pats werent. They are also top in Video Camera usage and hoodie sales. ;)

3/21/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Honestly, I could give a crap about either team. They are both hovering around 97% capacity, according to your link.

The only important number for me is the 101.1% for the Patriots, meaning they average MORE than a sellout. Once again, the Patriots prove to be one of the premier organizations in the NFL in this decade, by any and every standard.

3/21/09   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

Oh and one more thing... they can cover those seats because even when they do... they still have the same amount of seats available as the Steelers do. Only one Teams avg can fill up Jax's stadium... that team: Washington Redskins. with a 91,000 seating capacity

3/21/09   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

wrote:
Nice slant to this point, but you are full of hot air.

Jacksonville has been covering thousands of its seats for years. So maybe they "sell out" the 67,000 available seats, but the stadium holds 78,000. For the Florida-Georgia games, they add bleachers to increase the capacity to 85,000.

In a league like the NFL where most teams have waiting lists for season tickets, a competitive team like Jacksonville covering its seats IS like the Marlins drawing so few fans.

ps - I will note that in 2008, they seemed to sell 65,000 seats. Not sure if that was considered a sell-out, since even for the Steelers game there were only 65,000. I assume then that they covered up 2,000 more seats this season after 2 games were blacked out the year before in a playoff year.
(Edited by TurkogluForMVP)

Ok well here it goes.

1) Its a small market team that is only 14? years old. It's had little to no success. Marlins however have had 2 WS. My point is you cant sit there and say Jags need it as opposed to Marlins or Royals. Jags are also in a rut it seems with the front office making bad choice after bad choice. Jack Del Rio is not a fan favorite nor was Matt Jones. People dont want to see their team lose.

2) Pro Football is not the culture in Jacksonville yet. UF vs UGA is different because people travel for that. They dont travel for Jag games because they have had little success. I was at every game last season and it was not even close to the level of the marlins. Its not the same at all. Playoff year doesnt mean you automatically get a football culture in a city. Especially when that franchise is so young.

3)
sports.espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Take a look at that. In there it states the following:

Jacksonville- 65,167 avg attendance per home game 

Pittsburgh - 62,890 avg attendance per home game

Pittsburgh has a 65,000 capacity right? Well they cant fill that up every game so OMG get 2-3 thousand blow up dolls cause now Steelers really need it. Jags have more people come to the games than Steelers do. More seats, less people that have adopted the culture than Pitts. Yet you try to make fun of the Jags for not filling the seats? When they have the possibility of having 20,000 more people?! You are full of crap. Heintz field couldnt even come up with 20,000 more people to fill their seats. Ya'll are ripping a team for having a bigger stadium? Or are you ripping a team for attendance when its numbers are clearly higher than your favorite team the Steelers? According to ESPN a whopping 18,000 more people came to Jaguar games than Steeler games last year. And Pitt won the SB! Sure pathetic huh Pat?

3/21/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
Nice slant to this point, but you are full of hot air.

Jacksonville has been covering thousands of its seats for years. So maybe they "sell out" the 67,000 available seats, but the stadium holds 78,000. For the Florida-Georgia games, they add bleachers to increase the capacity to 85,000.

In a league like the NFL where most teams have waiting lists for season tickets, a competitive team like Jacksonville covering its seats IS like the Marlins drawing so few fans.

ps - I will note that in 2008, they seemed to sell 65,000 seats. Not sure if that was considered a sell-out, since even for the Steelers game there were only 65,000. I assume then that they covered up 2,000 more seats this season after 2 games were blacked out the year before in a playoff year.

Solid points. Isn't it a given that if they thought they could sell the seats, they wouldn't cover them up? So even a "sellout" isn't a sellout at a place like that unless they let the stadium fill to capacity. Since they know they can't get that, they don't even bother to try. Pathetic, imo.

3/21/09   |   Brendanc8504

wrote:
knife.  bah, i could knock the stuffing out of those guys...

was speaking in regards to the blow up dolls..................now you can laugh

3/21/09   |   Brendanc8504

wrote:
Unfortunately, no help if the hooligans from Exeter start a fight in the stands, lol

haha. god help everyone is a knife fight breaks out

3/21/09   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

wrote:
I feel almost dirty posting on this thread after the multiple turns on this thread, but here goes.

Jacksonville is the team that really needs this. Playoff teams and they can't get home sell-outs. What are they, the Atlanta Braves?

Jax has most of its available stadium full every game.  maybe not a sell out but not as bad as the Marlins

3/17/09   |   Dream_Machine   |   13227 respect

wrote:
The bible say I can lay hand on the sick and they will recover !

Faith And Having An MD Are Two Different Things! I Still Believe... Though... In God That Is.

3/17/09   |   Brendanc8504

Dream_Machine wrote:
Wow, Amazing Grace A Doctor?

yeah, but the say there is something funny about the drugs he uses to put you under.

3/17/09   |   Dream_Machine   |   13227 respect

Wow, Amazing Grace A Doctor?

3/17/09   |   Brendanc8504

MarkTheShark wrote:
No problem...that green beer would've done it to ya anyway

right, but by then i would have eaten, and had something in my belly to soak up the massive amounts of alcohol i am sure to consume.

haha

3/17/09   |   MarkTheShark   |   590 respect

Brendanc8504 wrote:
thanks for making me lose my appetite right before going out for a heavy night of drinking

No problem...that green beer would've done it to ya anyway

3/17/09   |   Brendanc8504

MarkTheShark wrote:
ooo Bay bee...Is your jaw hurting?

thanks for making me lose my appetite right before going out for a heavy night of drinking

3/17/09   |   MarkTheShark   |   590 respect

eLa_MAe_O wrote:
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i did not need to read that!!!!  if the convo is going to continue like this, tell me im out!!!!!!   dont u have a wife or gf or something, god!

AG's right, you have a dirty mind..lol.. ok maybe AG's never right...but it just seems her mouth is always open..surgery maybe??? just sayin

3/17/09   |   eLa_MAe_O   |   1676 respect

MarkTheShark wrote:
ooo Bay bee...Is your jaw hurting?

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i did not need to read that!!!!  if the convo is going to continue like this, tell me im out!!!!!!   dont u have a wife or gf or something, god!

3/17/09   |   MarkTheShark   |   590 respect

Brendanc8504 wrote:
your the expert......lead the way

ooo Bay bee...Is your jaw hurting?

3/17/09   |   Brendanc8504

MarkTheShark wrote:
Can we please get the conversation back on blow-up dolls?!

your the expert......lead the way

3/17/09   |   MarkTheShark   |   590 respect

Can we please get the conversation back on blow-up dolls?!

3/17/09   |   Brendanc8504

eLa_MAe_O wrote:
hahaha ur so funny. 

i try

3/17/09   |   eLa_MAe_O   |   1676 respect

hahaha ur so funny. 

3/17/09   |   Brendanc8504

eLa_MAe_O wrote:
o, sorry.  i assumed 

that was very amazinggrace of you

3/17/09   |   eLa_MAe_O   |   1676 respect

Brendanc8504 wrote:
who said i dont believe. i just dont need some guy who thinks he IS GOD to try and throw this info at me

o, sorry.  i assumed 

3/17/09   |   Brendanc8504

eLa_MAe_O wrote:
just cuz someone doesnt believe doesnt make them satan.  o and im fairly sure theres something in the bible along the lines of be kind to ones nabor.  im pretty sure calling them satan isnt being kind.  oo and something else along the lines of treat all fairly, wich again goes into the satan thing.

who said i dont believe. i just dont need some guy who thinks he IS GOD to try and throw this info at me

3/17/09   |   eLa_MAe_O   |   1676 respect

just cuz someone doesnt believe doesnt make them satan.  o and im fairly sure theres something in the bible along the lines of be kind to ones nabor.  im pretty sure calling them satan isnt being kind.  oo and something else along the lines of treat all fairly, wich again goes into the satan thing.

3/17/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
I REBUKE YOU SATAN !

Jesus says WTF?

3/17/09   |   Brendanc8504

wrote:
Brendan , I will pray for you !

continue to sink your own ship son

3/17/09   |   eLa_MAe_O   |   1676 respect

dudes, do not start this convo again, i will die from laughing.    and if ur joking u gotta put something that lets me know ur joking, like a wink  or a smiley 

3/17/09   |   Brendanc8504

wrote:

I'm just joking with you !

oh god here we go again

3/17/09   |   eLa_MAe_O   |   1676 respect

wrote:
Splenda is bad for you health ! It could cause cancer !
(Edited by eLa_MAe_O)

u miss the point of the name.  its something along the lines of im just pretended to be sweet, or u think im something im not.  either way, there both bad for ur health.

3/16/09   |   MarkTheShark   |   590 respect

Where is this place?...at least I'll have a date for after the game......hey bayybee...

3/16/09   |   Dream_Machine   |   13227 respect

Pat wrote:
Holy crap... AG just made a funny!

Now That is Seriously SHOCKING News!

3/16/09   |   njstixx

It's sad...but BRILLIANT!

I mean a company actually thought of this!  I'm going back to the drawing board with my band-aids for different nationalities....all shades of colors, various browns for African Americans etc....all ethic backgrounds can choose their own color and no one will even know they have a band-aid on!

3/16/09   |   Brendanc8504

eLa_MAe_O wrote:
u guys r all perverted!!!!
but inflatable fans would just depress me, as a player. and as another fan, it would creep me out!!  majorly!!   i think this idea is FAIL!!!

The one thing the players can be happy about, is even though the team might not be that good, they will always have a date after the game.

"Look at Johnson! He hasn't played a minute all year, but hes dating that girl in the front row!"

3/16/09   |   eLa_MAe_O   |   1676 respect

u guys r all perverted!!!!
but inflatable fans would just depress me, as a player. and as another fan, it would creep me out!!  majorly!!   i think this idea is FAIL!!!

3/16/09   |   Brendanc8504

wrote:
Or Pat leave me alone ! LOL

haha i did laugh at that

3/16/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
Or Pat leave me alone ! LOL

Holy crap... AG just made a funny!

3/16/09   |   Brendanc8504

Pat wrote:
I don't get it... it looks like they're all cheering, but there's no noise coming out...


haha she looks more like she is screaming "RAPE!"

3/16/09   |   TurkogluForMVP   |   50 respect

Pat wrote:
I don't get it... it looks like they're all cheering, but there's no noise coming out...


bravo sir bravo.

3/16/09   |   guylake   |   321 respect

Pat wrote:
I don't get it... it looks like they're all cheering, but there's no noise coming out...


We have probably seen the best comment of the day right here. Good stuff, Pat.

3/16/09   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

Matt Millen sold them all of the inflatables at half price.

3/16/09   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

wrote:
I think inflatable sex dolls would give the team more attention.

I don't get it... it looks like they're all cheering, but there's no noise coming out...


3/16/09   |   Brendanc8504

honestly that's sad. LOL

my question in.....do the players realize that they are not real people? I don't know about you but it wouldn't make me feel better or "bring a boost" to my club. If anything that might be the knockout blow. Can you imagine how freaky that would be to walk onto the field? I wouldn't even be able to participate I would be laughing to hard........wait, maybe that works as a home field advantage!

3/16/09   |   jmcarlos

This would be great for the Kansas City Royals, the Florida Marlins, and the Nationals.  You can throw in the WNBA while you're at it.

3/16/09   |   keppieboy   |   158 respect

 Maybe the Pirates should look into this.