Oklahoma Has Joined The Ranks Of The Teams Eliminated From BCS Championship Contention
So now, they're the first team that was a legitimate title contender at the beginning of the season, but now has pretty much no chance at all. Here's the preseason AP Top 25, and where they stand now, in terms of championship hopes.
1. Florida - Still undefeated, still the favorites.
2. Texas - Also still undefeated, and very much in the hunt.
3. Oklahoma - Done.
4. USC - They have a chance if everyone above them loses late in the season, but that loss to Washington hurt them bad, and will continue to do so.
5. Alabama - Still undefeated, but will have to beat LSU, and then Florida (most likely) in the SEC Championship game.
6. Ohio State - They need several teams to lose to have a chance, and USC will have to be one of those teams.
7. Virginia Tech - If they win out, they'll still need the SEC teams to eliminate each other, or Texas to pick up a loss.
8. Mississippi - Not going to happen.
T9. Oklahoma State - Not going to happen.
T9. Penn State - Not going to happen.
11. LSU - They are still undefeated, and have a great chance, but only if they win out. Does anyone see that happening? Because I don't.
12. California - They're done, after 2 straight blowout losses in-conference.
13. Georgia - 2 losses, they're done.
14. Boise State - They'll need to go undefeated, and do it convincingly. But they still might not have a chance, just because they're in the WAC.
15. Georgia Tech - Their one loss (to Miami) is forgivable, but they'll need a lot of help.
16. Oregon - Their loss to Boise State makes things very tricky, and if Boise State wins out, that would effectively eliminate Oregon.
17. TCU - Much like Boise State, they might just be eliminated because of the conference they're in.
18. Florida State - 3 losses, they're done.
19. Utah - Non-BCS school with a loss? They're done.
20. Brigham Young - See above.
21. North Carolina - 2 losses, they're done.
22. Iowa - I'm not convinced that they have the ability to stay undefeated, but if they do, they have a great chance. They control their own destiny.
23. Notre Dame - I'd love to say that the Michigan loss eliminates them, but if there are less than 2 undefeated teams from BCS conferences, it wouldn't shock me to see the Irish get a chance.
24. Nebraska - They're teetering, but are likely done.
25. Kansas - They're still undefeated, so much like Iowa, they control their own destiny.
So after only 5 weeks, here are the teams that have a very good chance to play for the BCS National Championship IF they win out: Florida, Texas, Alabama, LSU, Iowa, Kansas
On the cusp: USC, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Boise State, TCU, Notre Dame, Oregon.
Do you think any other teams have a chance?