Ole Miss Defeats Florida 31-30 At The Swamp

Just Another Reason Why Saturdays In The Fall Are The Best

9/27/08 in NCAAF   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

Raise your hand if you saw that one coming.

In an upset that's bigger than Oregon St. beating USC on Thursday, Ole Miss did what many thought was impossible and went into The Swamp and beat the Gators 31-30.

The Rebels had lost 14 straight SEC road games entering Saturday as well as nine straight SEC games overall and this loss dropped Tim Tebow's record as a starter when trailing at any point in the second half to 0-5.

Ole Miss used a combination of the "Wild Rebel" formation on offense and putting heavy pressure on Tim Tebow all game to pull off the monumental upset. 

Jevan Snead threw two touchdowns and ran for another while Dexter Mccluster and Brandon Bolden ran for 115 yards out of the "Wild Rebel" formation.

The Florida offense didn't do itself any favors by fumbling 3 times in the first half which allowed Ole Miss to hang in there and have the 24-17 lead headed into the fourth quarter. Percy Harvin took over the fourth quarter but it was a blocked extra point by Kentrell Lockett, who leaped over the Florida offensive line by himself to get the block, that sealed the win 31-30.

Florida had one last chance down by one with 41 seconds left but on a 4th and 2, Tim Tebow was stuffed by the Ole Miss defense and that was the ball game.

I know this will get all the SEC homers to come out and say "See, the SEC is loaded top to bottom and anyone can beat anyone every Saturday, and blah blah blah." However, this loss is much worse than the USC loss because Ole Miss is no where near as good as Oregon St. and Florida was at home. You should never lose at home to a team that is as inferior to you as Ole Miss is to Florida.

So with another top 10 team dropping a game to an unranked opponent, tonight's games of Georgia vs. Alabama, Penn St. vs. Illinois, and Oklahoma vs. TCU all take on even more importance than they did before. Losing earlier in the season is better than losing late, but losing at home to an unranked team that was a 3 touchdown underdog definitely doesn't help your cause in being a National Championship contender.

Ole Miss 31 Florida 30
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

9/29/08   |   ntimid8

beerstudk wrote:
We can argue about this until we're both blue in the face, you'll never convince me that the Pac-10 gets no respect and is the most competitive, cutthroat conference as I'm sure I'll never convince anyone that my statements are true.  Until we get a playoff system for the championship this arguing and bantering will never stop and will also never be proven right or wrong.  Agree to disagree right?!

Now, with that, I agree!!

9/29/08   |   ntimid8

9/28/08   |   beerstudk   |   1538 respect

ntimid8 wrote:
Okay, first things first.  "If USC is over-rated for losing on the road to a team that plays them tough year in-year out and has a history of being "Giant Killers", then Florida is over-rated for losing in "The Swamp" to a sub-par team.  Sorry, that's just how it works."  This is I believe Meyers 2nd loss at home in 4 years. Also, as I had said, Ole Miss, for some reason shows up and the Gators don't. Blame it on me for not being in full "lucky Gator gear". I don't know, but the SEC is a HUGH??? WHAT??? kinda conference.
"I've had the SEC shoved down my throat my entire life and have been as unimpressed by them as I'm sure most people from the South are unimpressed with the PAC-10.  I've always thought the PAC-10 is the best conference from top to bottom because everybody does beat everybody else on a regular basis.  There have only been 4 undefeated teams go through the PAC-10 in the last 24 years, it seems that the SEC has an undefeated team almost every year so the conference can't be all that competitive."   Just looked up "undefeated SEC teams in College football". I came up with only 18 teams since 1909, that went undefeated. So, that kills your argument of undefeated almost every year. I do however agree with your comment prior. I live and breathe SEC football. If it is on TV, I watch and flip. I ALSO, keep up with other conferences. Whether it is by watching, reading, or asking opinions, I try my best to keep up. BUT yeah, first and foremost, I am all about my conference, as you are yours.
"Plus most people that bash the PAC-10 don't even watch them play because a lot of their games are on after their bed time on
 the east coast.  Damn East Coast Bias!!!"   Well, I have no arguement there. Actually, it's almost 10 CST and my old butt is ready to crash.

At least Florida didn't get beat as bad as UGA is now .  41-17 in the 4th

Real mix up in the top 10 this week.

We can argue about this until we're both blue in the face, you'll never convince me that the Pac-10 gets no respect and is the most competitive, cutthroat conference as I'm sure I'll never convince anyone that my statements are true.  Until we get a playoff system for the championship this arguing and bantering will never stop and will also never be proven right or wrong.  Agree to disagree right?!

9/27/08   |   thking2960

yeah my bad on that one looked at wrong box

9/27/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

thking2960 wrote:
I just can't stand the gators when they lose it makes me happy now don't get me wrong tebow is good at what he does I just think he is overrated in my opinion  and the bulldogs won

I am not sure which Alabama vs. Georgia game you watched but Georgia lost.

9/27/08   |   thking2960

I just can't stand the gators when they lose it makes me happy now don't get me wrong tebow is good at what he does I just think he is overrated in my opinion  and the bulldogs won

9/27/08   |   ntimid8

Jubanator14 wrote:
Kind of like your Bulldogs and Stafford

can I give you a smunny for that??!!!

9/27/08   |   ntimid8

thking2960 wrote:
oh everyone thinks the gators are the best team out there when in all reallity they suck big time and tim tebow is highly overrated he sucks too
(Edited by ntimid8)

Oh your just pissed because UGA lost by more than one point. Once Stafford claims his Heisman trophy for being an "overrated QB" then come and talk it. Then again, I see Colt getting the trophy not Stafford this year.  Sorry, guess your QB is, well, just overrated without a trophy.

9/27/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

thking2960 wrote:
oh everyone thinks the gators are the best team out there when in all reallity they suck big time and tim tebow is highly overrated he sucks too

Kind of like your Bulldogs and Stafford

9/27/08   |   thking2960

oh everyone thinks the gators are the best team out there when in all reallity they suck big time and tim tebow is highly overrated he sucks too

9/27/08   |   ntimid8

beerstudk wrote:

If USC is over-rated for losing on the road to a team that plays them tough year in-year out and has a history of being "Giant Killers", then Florida is over-rated for losing in "The Swamp" to a sub-par team.  Sorry, that's just how it works.
I've had the SEC shoved down my throat my entire life and have been as unimpressed by them as I'm sure most people from the South are unimpressed with the Pac-10.  I've always thought the Pac-10 is the best conference from top to bottom because everybody does beat everybody else on a regular basis.  There have only been 4 undefeated teams go through the Pac-10 in the last 24 years, it seems that the SEC has an undefeated team almost every year so the conference can't be all that competitive.  Plus most people that bash the Pac-10 don't even watch them play because a lot of their games are on after thier bed time on the east coast.  Damn East Coast Bias!!!

Okay, first things first.  "If USC is over-rated for losing on the road to a team that plays them tough year in-year out and has a history of being "Giant Killers", then Florida is over-rated for losing in "The Swamp" to a sub-par team.  Sorry, that's just how it works."  This is I believe Meyers 2nd loss at home in 4 years. Also, as I had said, Ole Miss, for some reason shows up and the Gators don't. Blame it on me for not being in full "lucky Gator gear". I don't know, but the SEC is a HUGH??? WHAT??? kinda conference.
"I've had the SEC shoved down my throat my entire life and have been as unimpressed by them as I'm sure most people from the South are unimpressed with the PAC-10.  I've always thought the PAC-10 is the best conference from top to bottom because everybody does beat everybody else on a regular basis.  There have only been 4 undefeated teams go through the PAC-10 in the last 24 years, it seems that the SEC has an undefeated team almost every year so the conference can't be all that competitive."   Just looked up "undefeated SEC teams in College football". I came up with only 18 teams since 1909, that went undefeated. So, that kills your argument of undefeated almost every year. I do however agree with your comment prior. I live and breathe SEC football. If it is on TV, I watch and flip. I ALSO, keep up with other conferences. Whether it is by watching, reading, or asking opinions, I try my best to keep up. BUT yeah, first and foremost, I am all about my conference, as you are yours.
"Plus most people that bash the PAC-10 don't even watch them play because a lot of their games are on after their bed time on
 the east coast.  Damn East Coast Bias!!!"   Well, I have no arguement there. Actually, it's almost 10 CST and my old butt is ready to crash.

At least Florida didn't get beat as bad as UGA is now .  41-17 in the 4th

Real mix up in the top 10 this week.

9/27/08   |   ntimid8

kantwistaye wrote:
Throw USC, Florida, and Wisconsin out of the title race... we're down to Oklahoma, Mizzou, Georgia, 'Bama, Penn State, LSU, and maybe Texas, BYU, and USF.

right now, coming from an SEC beyoutch, it's Oklahoma, LSU, Texas, BYU, Penn, Mizzou, USF......UGA is getting beat right now ready to go to the 4th. ALOT of shake up in the top 5. Hatin my goober ass Gators are on the loser end.

9/27/08   |   Raven73   |   103 respect

rut roh...somebody is getting ready to get, um, "mangled"

9/27/08   |   kantwistaye   |   4210 respect

Throw USC, Florida, and Wisconsin out of the title race... we're down to Oklahoma, Mizzou, Georgia, 'Bama, Penn State, LSU, and maybe Texas, BYU, and USF.

9/27/08   |   beerstudk   |   1538 respect

ntimid8 wrote:
Oh jeez!  Here we go.
We all think our conference is the best, wouldn't be a "fan" if we didn't. BUT really, calling the Gators over-rated? That coming from a PAC 10 fan?!  Sweetie please.
Guess I am the "homer" as fore mentioned. The SEC is the toughest conference, in my opinion. What sucks about our conference is that anyone can beat anyone, any weekend. I'll be the first Gator fan to say kudos to the Rebs (and y'all I live in Mississippi, less than 30 minutes from Oxford, I will hear it ALL season long !!) BUT really look at it, who would have guessed VANDY?? HUGH?? 4-0?? They are normally a "gimme" in SEC play. Ole Miss (unranked) played Florida extremely tough in 2006 at Oxford, damn near upset them. Prior to that, another unranked Mississippi team, the Bullies, beat the Gators in Starkville. Costing Ron Zook his job. So, yeah, go ahead all call me a homer, I really don't care. Lord knows I have been called worse  The Gators will fall just as hard as USC. AND just as with USC, it is now going to take a miracle for us to be back on top. Miracles happen, I haven't given up just because of one game lost by one point.

If USC is over-rated for losing on the road to a team that plays them tough year in-year out and has a history of being "Giant Killers", then Florida is over-rated for losing in "The Swamp" to a sub-par team.  Sorry, that's just how it works.
I've had the SEC shoved down my throat my entire life and have been as unimpressed by them as I'm sure most people from the South are unimpressed with the Pac-10.  I've always thought the Pac-10 is the best conference from top to bottom because everybody does beat everybody else on a regular basis.  There have only been 4 undefeated teams go through the Pac-10 in the last 24 years, it seems that the SEC has an undefeated team almost every year so the conference can't be all that competitive.  Plus most people that bash the Pac-10 don't even watch them play because a lot of their games are on after thier bed time on the east coast.  Damn East Coast Bias!!!

9/27/08   |   ntimid8

beerstudk wrote:
I've been saying that the Gators are over-rated, this confirms it!

Oh jeez!  Here we go.
We all think our conference is the best, wouldn't be a "fan" if we didn't. BUT really, calling the Gators over-rated? That coming from a PAC 10 fan?!  Sweetie please.
Guess I am the "homer" as fore mentioned. The SEC is the toughest conference, in my opinion. What sucks about our conference is that anyone can beat anyone, any weekend. I'll be the first Gator fan to say kudos to the Rebs (and y'all I live in Mississippi, less than 30 minutes from Oxford, I will hear it ALL season long !!) BUT really look at it, who would have guessed VANDY?? HUGH?? 4-0?? They are normally a "gimme" in SEC play. Ole Miss (unranked) played Florida extremely tough in 2006 at Oxford, damn near upset them. Prior to that, another unranked Mississippi team, the Bullies, beat the Gators in Starkville. Costing Ron Zook his job. So, yeah, go ahead all call me a homer, I really don't care. Lord knows I have been called worse  The Gators will fall just as hard as USC. AND just as with USC, it is now going to take a miracle for us to be back on top. Miracles happen, I haven't given up just because of one game lost by one point.

9/27/08   |   beerstudk   |   1538 respect

I've been saying that the Gators are over-rated, this confirms it!

9/27/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

wrote:
Nice article but you misspelled Jevan's last name:S-n-e-a-d

Damn. Of course I get the tougher first name right.

Fixed.