Philip Rivers Snubbed For Pro Bowl. Blame Brett Favre.

Brett Favre Is A Worthless Scumbag, Costs Philip Rivers His Rightful Pro Bowl Spot

12/16/08 in NFL   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

I don't watch the Pro Bowl, mainly because it sucks and no one plays hard, but I do recognize that it means a fair amount to players to at least make the team. And it's for that reason that I'm writing this post.

As I think everyone is aware of now, Philip Rivers didn't make the Pro Bowl. MJD at Shutdown Corner is furious about this, and frankly, so am I.

So let's get right to why this is a complete and utter crock.

Rivers is currently the highest rated quarterback in the entire NFL. In fact, he's the only QB out there who has a passer rating over 100. He's tied for the league lead in touchdown passes with Drew Brees at 28. And Rivers has done that throwing 119 fewer passes than Brees.

Now, some of you might be saying, well, Rivers has no arm. He's dinking and dunking the ball down the field. Wrong again. Rivers is the best in the league at yards per pass attempt, averaging 8.23 yards, tied with Tony Romo. 

Let's also keep in mind that San Diego has no running game this year and Rivers is being coached by Norv Turner. Hell, this guy deserves a medal for his insane production under the circumstances. Without Rivers, this team might be battling the Lions to see who can go 0-16 first.

So, the question is who is going instead of him in the AFC? Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler, and, if you read the headline, then you know the third guy is Brett Favre.

Now while I think we can all acknowledge that Favre was likely to be named to the Pro Bowl regardless of what he did, he really has no business being there whatsoever. He has a pedestrian 86.5 QB rating (that's lower than Sean Hill of the 49ers for God's sake), is ranked 20th in yards per pass attempt (6.8) and leads the damn league in interceptions with 17. What a farce. In my opinion, Rivers, Chad Pennington and Matt Cassel all deserve Pro Bowl spot ahead of Favre.

And frankly, Rivers should be starting over Manning or Cutler. Because, you know, statistically he's the best quarterback in the league.

And to anyone who makes the "Rivers is jerk" argument, and that's why he didn't get a spot, forget it. Favre was the biggest a-hole in the NFL during the offseason, so that doesn't apply at all.

What killed Rivers is the fact that the Chargers are below mediocre this year...and Brett Favre, of course. No one would be pissed if Rivers at least made the team as a reserve, but being left off the team all together is a total joke. And I can and will directly blame Brett Favre for that.

I'll also be rooting for Miami or New England to win the AFC East now, which I'm sure one of them will. Why? Because both of those teams have better quarterbacks than Favre.

Rivers was robbed at the expense of an undeserving Brett Favre [Shutdown Corner]
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

12/31/08   |   Noah_Hurrle   |   10 respect

Indian_Boy wrote:
The reason rivers didnt make the pro bowl is because every chance he gets hes a dick to some player on the other team, and guess what all those players have a vote.
I WONDER WHO CUTLER VOTED FOR

That doesnt mean anything the NFL Players only make up less than a half of 1% of the people who watch Football and everyone gets to vote, and i'm surprised Philip Rivers didn't make the Pro Bowl because usually the population of NFL Fans vote for the Players with the biggest Ego's in the NFL it has happened in the past, just take this example from the NBA, last year everyone voted for Shaq to go to the All Star Game when he barely did anything, just like many players that have gotten into the Pro Bowl when they shouldn't have recently - maybe the NFL Staff made it so the Players with the biggest recognition get in so they could improve ratings

12/19/08   |   coolkraft2003   |   6 respect

Here is a summation of how the pro bowl sucks:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/817424.html



12/18/08   |   RichyMcWiggleSr   |   2049 respect

donm454 wrote:
Tony Romo should not be anywhere near the Probowl.  Him throwing 1 interception with Owens, Barber, Witten, and Williams to throw to is a joke.

LOL

You said Owens ... the man I selected as 2008's "Person Most Likely To Let His Balls Drop In Public"!!!

Apparently it's such an addiction an anonymous night club owner in Dallas reported to Goodell that, upon bein given a drink by the bartender Owens dropped trou and did some kind of "victory dance" after slapping her, and informing her of who he was and that he was the only person in the bar entitled to be served by her ... or any of the other bartenders for that matter!

:)

12/18/08   |   donm454   |   20 respect

RichyMcWiggleSr wrote:
I can't believe I actually went and checked out the stats ... after reading this article, I wondered if I too had "overlooked" Rivers, since he is on a trash team (a team I expected to be big contenders).

What I found:

Rivers didn't get overlooked!  Favre and Pennington both have better completion percentages.  Yes Favre has 17 picks, but Rivers has 11, and Favre was sacked more ... which tells me he's been pressured more.  Passer Rating really doesn't mean squat to me ... it's a gibberish thing that some stat-counter-guy made up to feel important.

Bottom line:  Favre and Pennington are playing at about the same level, BUT ... they're on winning teams.  Of the four (Favre, Pennington, Rivers, and Romo), Romo is the most deserving. 

If anyone got snubbed, based solely on performance and not being on a losing team, it was Warner and Brees ...... who've both blown away every quarterback in the league as far as "Stats" are concerned.

Conclusion:  Stats don't fill the bleachers!

Tony Romo should not be anywhere near the Probowl.  Him throwing 1 interception with Owens, Barber, Witten, and Williams to throw to is a joke.

12/18/08   |   RichyMcWiggleSr   |   2049 respect

I can't believe I actually went and checked out the stats ... after reading this article, I wondered if I too had "overlooked" Rivers, since he is on a trash team (a team I expected to be big contenders).

What I found:

Rivers didn't get overlooked!  Favre and Pennington both have better completion percentages.  Yes Favre has 17 picks, but Rivers has 11, and Favre was sacked more ... which tells me he's been pressured more.  Passer Rating really doesn't mean squat to me ... it's a gibberish thing that some stat-counter-guy made up to feel important.

Bottom line:  Favre and Pennington are playing at about the same level, BUT ... they're on winning teams.  Of the four (Favre, Pennington, Rivers, and Romo), Romo is the most deserving. 

If anyone got snubbed, based solely on performance and not being on a losing team, it was Warner and Brees ...... who've both blown away every quarterback in the league as far as "Stats" are concerned.

Conclusion:  Stats don't fill the bleachers!

12/18/08   |   matto214

 River is great this year but not this year because of his team record is not great. I think River will get pro bowl plenty of his season careers, why he is still whiner? smh!

12/18/08   |   RichyMcWiggleSr   |   2049 respect

RichyMcWiggleSr wrote:
I'm still pissed at Jason Timberlake for stealing my invitation to the Playboy Mansion's Halloween Costume Party!!!!

Commie!!!

OH ... lol ... that's right his name is Justin ... I was close.  haha

12/17/08   |   Chief_aka_James   |   3292 respect

MarkTheShark wrote:
You feel a little better now that Carl got canned?

I made a blog about it, not complaining.

12/17/08   |   Keeter   |   92 respect

Wow.......for all of these comments & arguing here, you'd think that the Pro Bowl would get like a 75 rating on TV !!!!        Please gang, seriously - who watches the Pro Bowl ?    (ohhh, idea for another poll !)

The only way that Rivers likely cares is if he has escalators in his contract for making the Pro Bowl.     Otherwise, I suspect he'd rather have the time off.    He could spend that time doing something productive......like watching LT film more Campbell's soup commercials...............   

12/17/08   |   MarkTheShark   |   590 respect

Chief_aka_James wrote:
Who the heck is Jason Timberlake?

You feel a little better now that Carl got canned?

12/17/08   |   Chief_aka_James   |   3292 respect

RichyMcWiggleSr wrote:
I'm still pissed at Jason Timberlake for stealing my invitation to the Playboy Mansion's Halloween Costume Party!!!!

Commie!!!

Who the heck is Jason Timberlake?

12/17/08   |   RichyMcWiggleSr   |   2049 respect

I'm still pissed at Jason Timberlake for stealing my invitation to the Playboy Mansion's Halloween Costume Party!!!!

Commie!!!

12/17/08   |   RichyMcWiggleSr   |   2049 respect

I couldn't read much more than about half a paragraph after the headline ...

What'd Favre do, drug Rivers and steal his invitation?

12/17/08   |   larrystarstruck   |   23 respect

 I very rarely watch the pro bowl anymore. I have tried and it's one of the most boring football games you would ever want to see. You would expect a better game with the "best" players.

12/17/08   |   MarkTheShark   |   590 respect

wrote:
He definitely deserves to be there over Steve Smith.

Whoa....you do realize Delhomme isn't much better than what Detroit has been starting at QB...

12/17/08   |   hwsteelers   |   22 respect

Pat wrote:
"at least he has a ring"

That's the stupidest statement ever. ANYONE could have been the Steelers QB in that Super Bowl and won a ring. Ben played like he had money on the Seahawks, and the Steelers still managed to win, thanks to some dubious officiating, and no thanks at all to Big Ben. He's as big a choker as Tony Romo, but he just got lucky.

The statement was made because the original question had to do with Rivers got snubbed. As a Steelers fan I think the statement Ben blows is not even related to the article. I agree with you about the Superbowl performance. He looked like Neil O'Donnell out there. But he was the winning qb. As for the three Playoff games and the Superbowl his passer rating was 101.7 and the game saving tackle against the Colts. Just relax Pat this time next year your boys will have clinched their division. Brady will be back!!! He is one of the best qb's in the league.

12/17/08   |   coolkraft2003   |   6 respect

this is why I do not watch the pro bowl...but I do like Joey Porter....

12/17/08   |   jjh8857   |   315 respect

Pat wrote:
Feel free to post a link.

wjox690.com
wnsp.com
730ump.com
roundtableradio.com
werc.com

12/17/08   |   chad_is_god

i actually thought of a worse snubb...can you say calvin Johnson?

12/17/08   |   Pat   |   5138 respect

jjh8857 wrote:
Lol, there sure is.  I only point out this things when they're true Pat.  Careful now we have original opinions on our show.  Can you handle it?

Feel free to post a link.

12/17/08   |   jjh8857   |   315 respect

Lol, there sure is.  I only point out this things when they're true Pat.  Careful now we have original opinions on our show.  Can you handle it?

12/17/08   |   matto214

uptown7010 wrote:
After the playoffs may not even want to play!!!!!!
(Edited by matto214)

 HAHA! i agree with you! remember NE patriots lost in super bowl last year but Tom Brady and Randy Moss didnt even want to play pro bowl, huh? wtf! no wonder they do not want to play pro bowl. they want spend with their family or women. 

12/17/08   |   Pat   |   5138 respect

jjh8857 wrote:
You're about as edgy as a volleyball, Pat!

I can only imagine what your radio show must be like.



Is there any place I can hear it online?

12/17/08   |   matto214

 Philip River is whiner! why he always yell at another team, River think he is better than anybody? sorry however he didnt make pro bowl, whiner boy!!

12/17/08   |   jjh8857   |   315 respect

Pat wrote:
Umm... good one? You love to bring that up, but it still means nothing.

You're about as edgy as a volleyball, Pat!

12/17/08   |   raptrbreth   |   19 respect

Rivers did get shafted.  Wow, the hatred for Farve is unbecoming.

12/17/08   |   Heyhey1970   |   194 respect

Rivers did get a raw deal.  It's too bad the Chargers don't have a better record. I have to admit that I always turn the channel to see what Favre is doing with the Jets.  That's doesn't mean he's had a better than average year though.  This used to always happen with the baseball All-Star game.  Future Hall-of-Famers who were having average seasons, or were at the end of their careers, would get voted in because the fans wanted to see them. So I guess I'm agreeing with what PackRat said. 

12/17/08   |   donm454   |   20 respect

Indian_Boy wrote:
Are you serious
Is that why last year after Brady he was the best QB in the league, without any real recieving threats
also the only reason last year they didnt go further in the playoffs was because with parker hurt they had no run game
so suck it

Last year he had good QB numbers because all they would do was run the ball with Parker to the 5 yd line and then throw it.  Parker had 1300 rushing yds and only 2 or 3 TDs.  What happens when he doesn't have  Parker? 2007: 32 TD 11 INT...2008: 15 TD 12 INT. And the QB rating is down by 24 points.

12/17/08   |   coolkraft2003   |   6 respect

Brett Favre is a selfish, washed up malcontent who really screwed Green Bay...He is not particularly well thought of by the Jets players and the NY fans who expected miracles (sadly the Jets are not a quality team) are now faced with reality.  I am interested to see if Eric Magnani will be retained as coach.  Rumor has it Cowher is a possibility to replace him.  I blame Magnani for the Jets problems (especially defense).  He was overrated and it shows.

12/17/08   |   uptown7010

RichmondSpider wrote:
Thank GOD the Pro Bowl is played after the Super Bowl and no one watches it anyway... the only justice in life would be for Farve to throw 10 ints and get sacked 20 times.

After the playoffs may not even want to play!!!!!!

12/17/08   |   matto214

 Tony Romo is choker and dallas will be choke if they wouldnt make playoff this year.

12/17/08   |   chad_is_god

how bout this for a snub...ATL's offensive line!

12/17/08   |   Pat   |   5138 respect

jjh8857 wrote:
Funny...I was thinking the same thing.  This from the guy who hates Duke, the Yankees, the Lakers & Barry Bonds.  Zing!

Umm... good one? You love to bring that up, but it still means nothing.

12/17/08   |   jjh8857   |   315 respect

Pat wrote:
Simple people are funny.

Funny...I was thinking the same thing.  This from the guy who hates Duke, the Yankees, the Lakers & Barry Bonds.  Zing!

12/17/08   |   Pat   |   5138 respect

jjh8857 wrote:
Players should never switch teams.  After scoring TDs players should just hand the ball back to the ref.  Players should play for free. 

Simple people are funny.

12/17/08   |   Indian_Boy

Pat wrote:
"at least he has a ring"

That's the stupidest statement ever. ANYONE could have been the Steelers QB in that Super Bowl and won a ring. Ben played like he had money on the Seahawks, and the Steelers still managed to win, thanks to some dubious officiating, and no thanks at all to Big Ben. He's as big a choker as Tony Romo, but he just got lucky.

Are you serious
Is that why last year after Brady he was the best QB in the league, without any real recieving threats
also the only reason last year they didnt go further in the playoffs was because with parker hurt they had no run game
so suck it

12/17/08   |   Indian_Boy

The reason rivers didnt make the pro bowl is because every chance he gets hes a dick to some player on the other team, and guess what all those players have a vote.
I WONDER WHO CUTLER VOTED FOR

12/17/08   |   jjh8857   |   315 respect

Players should never switch teams.  After scoring TDs players should just hand the ball back to the ref.  Players should play for free. 

12/17/08   |   Pat   |   5138 respect

hwsteelers wrote:
You think Big Ben Blows!! Funny coming from a Cowboys fan. At least he has a ring. Tony fumbles his chance away. I remember  Jan. 6, 2007. Oh not to mention the air ball to Witten which cost them the game against Pittsburgh 2 wks ago. We all should know by now that Pro Bowls and All Star Games are just Popularity contest! Its like that in every sport. I wish they would base it on Achievements. I agree Rivers got hosed.

"at least he has a ring"

That's the stupidest statement ever. ANYONE could have been the Steelers QB in that Super Bowl and won a ring. Ben played like he had money on the Seahawks, and the Steelers still managed to win, thanks to some dubious officiating, and no thanks at all to Big Ben. He's as big a choker as Tony Romo, but he just got lucky.

12/17/08   |   biskit67

(Edited by biskit67)

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest sprinkled with a little bias. The fans, coaches, and players each get 1/3 of the say who is going to be selected. So, the fact that Rivers did not get in doesn't surprise me. I doubt he would be in the top 5 of any fan vote. If his reputation is correct, that means the players and coaches don't like him either. Given those 3 factors, he had no chance.

Having said that, I bet he will be there. After Manning, Cutler, and Favre finish the season with their playoff-bound teams, I bet at least one of them will come up with some unverifyable injury and bow out of the Pro Bowl much like 20 players do every year.

12/17/08   |   hwsteelers   |   22 respect

taylordanley wrote:
he can't be cause big ben blows.. but i think he's talking about Woodley because he definitely got snubbed

You think Big Ben Blows!! Funny coming from a Cowboys fan. At least he has a ring. Tony fumbles his chance away. I remember  Jan. 6, 2007. Oh not to mention the air ball to Witten which cost them the game against Pittsburgh 2 wks ago. We all should know by now that Pro Bowls and All Star Games are just Popularity contest! Its like that in every sport. I wish they would base it on Achievements. I agree Rivers got hosed.

12/17/08   |   Michael_G   |   35111 respect

 

12/17/08   |   damon88128

1/3 voted for favre but also consider the coaches who have respected favre as an icon. i know his numbers stinks and i didn't even voted for him even once (i voted 10x a day lol) but coaches look at the wins and record of teams. Best team in their respective divisions should have at least a player at the pro bowl thats why favre is their. but i would love to see philip rivers there... he carries my fantasy team together w/ jay cutler and deangelo williams...

These instances are same w/ michael jordan being voted to the eastern all star w/ the wizards not because he is the best player during that time but because FANS love to see him play, so you shouldn't be mad bout favre :D anyway it's pro bowl, i'm sure philip rivers will make it there multiple times in the future while favre will soon retire.

12/17/08   |   SoCalSmokinOkie   |   1 respect

Wow, you really should do something about those anger issues.

12/17/08   |   derms33   |   17642 respect

Philip Rivers = LT killer...ruined my fantasy team...F-Him

12/17/08   |   RichmondSpider

Thank GOD the Pro Bowl is played after the Super Bowl and no one watches it anyway... the only justice in life would be for Farve to throw 10 ints and get sacked 20 times.

12/17/08   |   taylordanley   |   6 respect

Pat wrote:
Steelers fans should be crying? I hope you're not still talking about the QB position...
(Edited by taylordanley)

he can't be cause big ben blows.. but i think he's talking about Woodley because he definitely got snubbed

12/17/08   |   Pat   |   5138 respect

wrote:
Favre never goes to Pro Bowls and Rivers is the alternate.

Steelers fans are the ones that should be crying.

Steelers fans should be crying? I hope you're not still talking about the QB position...

12/16/08   |   fred77008   |   17 respect

What about Pennington?  The Dolphins are already 9 wins better than last year with the Jets' reject.  To hell with Favre, the ProBowl voters and the Jets should have picked The Chad.

12/16/08   |   Keeter   |   92 respect

I gotta post this again............


"Stuart Scott here in the capital of the free world, Bristol, CN.     Wait, let me take off my Red Sox jersy & hat before we go on air !    OK, it appears that Brett Favre, when walking past the front door of the Packers front office, sneezed.     Wait, we're getting conflicting reports - was it a sneeze, perhaps just a cough, or did Brett make a rude gesture to the front office ?       Let's go to Sal Palantonio for an update:

"Yes Stuart, I am camped out here in front of the Packers front office, and have been for 6 days without showering.     I have accumulated enough Monopoly pieces from McDonalds to buy Park Place outright from Donald Trump.      Back to the issue at hand - was it a sneeze or something else ?       My sources tell me that Brett has been feeling fine lately; he regularly drinks 3 glasses of orange juice for breakfast so he's getting vitamin C.     We know this for a fact because I have Shelley Smith going through the Favre's garbage cans at night to verify this fact.     So, it likely is NOT a sneeze, for he's hydrated and taking his vitamins.   There were bugs flying around the front office, so it's possible that a bug flew into front of Brett's face; we'll go to an expert on that in a second.      However, Chris Mortensen now has breaking news about a possible 'gesture'; Chris ?"

"Thanks Sal, Chris Mortensen here, and not only haven't I showered for a week, but I've been crapping in the bushes to make sure I am here just in case of breaking news.     I have word just in that it likely was NOT a rude gesture; rather, Brett may have seen his reflection in the mirror, realized how grey his hair & beard are, and that perhaps he should NOT be coming back.      No word on whether he contacted Walt Frazier or Keith Hernandez on joining the 'Just for Men' commericals, though my source tells me that the Just For Men people have already contacted Brett by using the Minnesota Vikings cell phone #.     Back to you Sal"

"Thanks Chris, and now on to John Clayton, standing by with Herman Whogivesaflyingf*ck, the curator of the Green Bay musuem, John:"

"Thanks Sal, John Clayton here, and I've been camping out so long here that I'm starting to pick up desparate chicks here in Green Bay.     Herman, what can you tell us about the flies ?"

"Well John, there's not much to say - there are a lot of bugs in this area this time of year......plus with Mortensen crapping in the bushes, there's going to be a lot of flies !"

"Thanks Herman, back to you Stuart.....I got to run, I see another local chick, crying &  wearing her #4 jersey.....John Clayton reporting, and getting lucky for the first time in my life !!!"

"Thank you all, and a big 'BOO-YAH' to each of you for that hard hitting report.      This is Stuart Scott reporting on the lastest in the Brett Favre situation and, oh, wait, I gotta adjust my glass eye.....OK.....better now.     For any breaking news, please turn to our new flagship station, ESPN-FAVRE, for all the latest news & worthless predictions.      I'm out of here to grab some grub with The Schwab now !"

12/16/08   |   collpad13

(Edited by Jubanator14)

"pedestrian" rating, ha thats funny. its all about politics and record though. You know the Jets are gonna go deeper then the Chargers. And if Farve wasnt a Jet they would still suk

12/16/08   |   Variant   |   1 respect

(Edited by Variant)

plus its doubtful Favre would show up anyhow...

12/16/08   |   Seth   |   301 respect

(Edited by Seth)

Rivers lost out in the little known extra votes for most grit and best stubble.

12/16/08   |   WBKsports   |   366 respect

I'm not sure I will ever understand this one...I'm really confused how a guy with Philip's stats doesn't make the Pro Bowl roster??? What a disgrace!!!

12/16/08   |   gobigblue1960   |   4802 respect

Favre got those votes from John Madden and Frank Caliendo.....bing--bam--boom!!

12/16/08   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

jjh8857 wrote:
How dare Brett Favre change his mind!  Grown men shouldn't be allowed to change their minds. 

You are right however.  Rivers is a punk & an overated pussy yet shear stats say he should be there.  More proof that fans are the worst things about sports.  Good thing the Pro Bowl doesn't matter.

Though is it Brett Favre's fault people voted for him?

Though is it Brett Favre's fault people voted for him?

No, but I'll still hold it against him

12/16/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

But... Favre is a gunslinger. He's like a kid out there you know. He's just a grizzly veteran who loves playing the game.

12/16/08   |   brianmc0331   |   10 respect

I agree 100%, the fact that fans vote does play a role in who actually goes to the Pro Bowl. More times then not there is someone deserving who doesn't go. In this case it is a complete travesty that he is not starting, and some how he is not even invited. I remember when Jordan got voted into an all star team for Minor league baseball even though his numbers were horrific. He did the respectable thing and opted not to accept the invitation, maybe we can talk Farve into doing the same thing and get Rivers in on the write in vote.

12/16/08   |   jjh8857   |   315 respect

(Edited by jjh8857)

How dare Brett Favre change his mind!  Grown men shouldn't be allowed to change their minds. 

You are right however.  Rivers is a punk & an overated pussy yet shear stats say he should be there.  More proof that fans are the worst things about sports.  Good thing the Pro Bowl doesn't matter.

Though is it Brett Favre's fault people voted for him?