Quentin Jammer still not giving up on a return with Chargers
“I know there was speculation about me retiring. I’m, like, who said that?” Jammer said on Sunday after participating in the Celebrity Championship under the Marshall Faulk golf tournament at the La Costa Resort & Spa. “I would never retire. I definitely don’t want to go into retirement and then regret retiring and try to play later. I want to play while I still feel great.”
Jammer claimed he’s had talks at some level with several NFL teams, including the Chargers and most recently the Washington Redskins. The 33-year-old was set to become a free agent following the 2012 season after 11 seasons with the Chargers. San Diego still remains close to Jammer’s heart, with hopes of returning to the only team he’s played for his entire NFL career. But the Chargers’ new general manager Tom Telesco has by far given no clear indications that re-signing him could be a top priority for the team.
“I’d love to come back (to the Chargers). I’ve had conversations with them. I totally understood the direction they were going in,” said Jammer. They said the door wasn’t completely closed. Hopefully, maybe down the road a little bit, the Chargers will offer me something.”
Still, Jammer is not betting his entire NFL career on a would-be contract from the Chargers and is keeping other options open.
“My expectation is to be elsewhere.” Jammer acknowledged an earlier report that he visited the Redskins last month. “That was the most exciting visit I had. I really like the organization.”
The fifth overall pick (2002 NFL draft) has appeared in 172 games with 161 starts for the Chargers, compiling 719 tackles, 127 passes defensed, 21 interceptions, one touchdown and seven forced fumbles throughout his NFL career.