Manchester City were hot-favorites to acquire the Isco’s signature, especially after former Malaga manager Manuel Pellegrini became the new boss of the Eastlands. Manchester City went head to head with Real Madrid throughout the race to sign in Isco, but the tides turned in Real Madrid’s favor in the last couple of days, with the Spain Under-21 himself stating that an opportunity to play for Real Madrid will be too hard to turn down.
“The club and the player have reached an agreement,” Florentino Perez told Spanish National Radio and AS. “Isco is one of the great players of Spain and the club's technical staff believe he has the quality to play for Madrid. I know he is enthusiastic to come here, just as I am enthusiastic about him coming.”
Isco’s transfer will turn into reality once the youngster passes the medical test in Madrid. Real Madrid are expected to unveil the youngster in their press conference next week. The signing comes only a couple of hours after Real Madrid confirmed Carlo Ancelotti as their new manager. The Italian boss was unveiled in a ceremony at Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday.
Manchester City have been dealt with a big blow by Isco’s refusal to join them, since the 21-year-old Spain international had been closely linked to the club for the last couple of months. Moreover, the youngster had enjoyed a successful and fruitful spell under Manuel Pellegrini at Malaga, which is why the Chilean boss was expected to seal the deal with Isco.
Many Real Madrid players had already been trying to persuade Isco to join them. Real Madrid right-back Alvaro Arbeloa, who is representing Spain at the Confederations Cup in Brazil, welcomed the youngster to the club.
“I am very happy with his arrival. He is a great player, young and he will bring a lot to us in the 'creation zone'. Real Madrid always must have different options so that absences do not affect the performance of the team,” Alvaro Arbeloa said.