THE SHOW (3-2 yesterday)
BUTTA (1-0 yesterday)
1. CARDINALS (WAINWRIGHT -170) over Pirates (Morton) - I must admit that I'm a little worried about the Redbirds. They've suffered through some injury trouble to their pitching staff, their bullpen is shaky and their offense just isn't coming together. I can't resist the numbers for this matchup though. Waino is 12-5 lifetime against the Bucs. Morton is only 2-11 in his career against the Cards. Enough said.
2. ANGELS (WEAVER -170) over Blue Jays (Happ) - The Jays were fading fast even before Encarnacion's injury on Saturday. The sun should finally go down on them as a result of that injury now. The Halos are a tough nut to crack at home with a 21-3 record in their last 24 at the Big A, and Weaver is still the ace when he toes the slab there. He's always been a dominant home hurler, but he's been even better in July going 19-2 in his career. He's also 9-2 lifetime against the Jays.
ON THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR
1. REDS (LEAKE -170) over Cubs (Jackson) - The Reds are fresh off a big series win against the Brewers over the weekend, and Leake is 7-2 lifetime against the Cubs. I won't play this game though for a couple of reasons: While Jackson is only 2-17 on the road against division opponents over the last 3 seasons, he is 4-2 lifetime against the Reds. The other reason is that I just don't trust Mike Leake.
2. Royals (Shields +105) over RAYS (ODORIZZI) - Interesting matchup here. Big Game James goes against his former team at The Trop for the 1st time since the big trade a couple of offseasons ago, and his mound opponent is one of the pieces that allowed that trade to happen. Shields has been getting knocked around in his last few starts, but the Royals are still 8-3 this season when he starts a road game. He's also 21-8 on the road over the last 2 seasons and 10-2 when those road starts are coming off a team loss. The Rays are red hot, to be sure, but I think that might work against them a bit here. They're fresh off a 9-2 road trip, and you know I like to try and take advantage of teams in their 1st home game back off a long trip. Don't be afraid to mix in that changeup, Gambino!
3. MARINERS (IWAKUMA -220) over Twins (Correia) - I'm going to lay out of this one because I'm not sure if "Icky's" last start was an anomaly, or if he's back on the beam after getting knocked around pretty hard in a couple of starts prior to it. It is hard to resist the situation though. In 4 previous lifetime starts against the Twinks, Iwakuma is 4-0 with a 0.00 ERA.
RUN LINES (9-6 ATS/11-4 SU/8-7 TOTALS yesterday)
|AMERICAN LEAGUE||NATIONAL LEAGUE|
|Yankees (+1 1/2, O9)||Braves|
|INDIANS||METS (+1 1/2, U7 1/2)|
|Royals (+1 1/2, U7)||Cubs|
|RAYS||REDS (-1 1/2, U8)|
|White Sox (+1 1/2, U10)||Phillies|
|RED SOX||BREWERS (-1 1/2, U8)|
|Astros||Pirates (+1 1/2, U7 1/2)|
|RANGERS (-1 1/2, U9 1/2)||CARDINALS|
|Blue Jays||Padres (+1 1/2, U10 1/2)|
|ANGELS (-1 1/2, U8 1/2)||ROCKIES|
|Twins||Marlins (+1 1/2, U9)|
|MARINERS (-1 1/2, O7)||D-BACKS|
|Giants||Orioles (+1 1/2, U7 1/2)|
|A'S (-1 1/2, U7 1/2)||NATIONALS|
I don't have any SHOW NOTES for today because there are no ties to report, and quite frankly, I see nothing all that compelling on the schedule to talk about unless it would be the O's/NATS matchup over the next 4 days.
I hope everyone had a nice, smooth transition back into a new work week after a long holiday weekend. Have a great night, and I'll see you tomorrow.