THE SHOW (4-1 last night and 18-10 so far for the week)
BUTTA (2-0 last night and 7-6 so far for the week)
Rays (Archer -175) over BLUE JAYS (HAPP) - Rays get back on track after going a little cold last night. It's a lot of pressure on Archer, but so far, he's come through September is really good shape.
ON THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR
Athletics (Parker -150) over MARINERS (MAURER) - The A's are trying to keep the pressure on the Red Sox for best record in the A.L., and Maurer shouldn't get in their way or provide much resistance today.
RUN-(NING) LINES (9-6 ATS/8-6 SU/9-6 TOTALS last night and 40-42/41-36/49-33 so far for the week)
1. Red Sox (-1 1/2, O8) over ORIOLES
2. Rays (-1 1/2, U7 1/2) over BLUE JAYS
3. Angels (+1 1/2, U8 1/2) at RANGERS
4. TWINS (+1 1/2, O8 1/2) vs. Indians *
5. WHITE SOX (+1 1/2, U7 1/2) vs. Royals
6. ASTROS (+1 1/2, U8 1/2) vs. Yankees
7. Athletics (-1 1/2, U7 1/2) over MARINERS
8. Pirates (+1 1/2, U7 1/2) at REDS
9. Brewers (-1 1/2, U7 1/2) over METS
10. Phillies (+1 1/2, U7) at BRAVES
11. CARDINALS (-1 1/2, U7) over Cubs
12. Nationals (+1 1/2, U9) at D-BACKS
13. DODGERS (-1 1/2, O7) over Rockies
14. GIANTS (-1 1/2, U7 1/2) over Padres
15. MARLINS (+1 1/2, U6 1/2) vs. Tigers
COLLEGE FOOTBALL (2-0 last night and 2-2 so far for the week)
BUTTA (no play last night and 0-1 so far for the week)
1. Miami-Fla. (-17) over S. FLORIDA - This is a lot of points to lay and right at the top end of my tolerance for such things. This is also the kind of game, with the kind of spread as the favorite, that the 'Canes have struggled mightily with over the last several years, but I'm still going for it. That's a bit of an indication just how bad this S. Florida team is. Another good one is the fact that both these teams have faced a common opponent already this season in Fla.-Atlantic. Miami beat the Owls by 28. The Bulls lost to them here on their home field by 18. That's a 46-point differential, and even if S. Florida had a home field advantage, it wouldn't be enough to make up for that.
2. N. Illinois (-175) over PURDUE - I don't like Northern at the (-3 1/2) they're laying for this game because it's a road game, and they only beat Iowa by 3 on the road in the season's opening week. Iowa is certainly a better team than Purdue, but if the Boilers can get their ground game working today, this one will be close.
ALL THE REST
1. C. FLORIDA (+6 1/2) vs. S. Carolina - The Gamecocks could find themselves in a bad way here if they get caught looking ahead to conference play next week.
2. Houston (-2 1/2) over TEX.-SAN ANTONIO - The Coogs are off their big rivalry game win over Rice last week, so there's the possibility for a bit of a letdown. This number isn't a big stretch, but if Houston lets that Roadrunner passing attack get comfortable, this could be a very interesting game.
3. Wyoming (-12 1/2) over TEXAS ST. - The Cowboys are rolling early on with that offense, but laying doubles on the road in a 2nd consecutive road game is a little bit much for me.
4. Utep (+14) at COLORADO ST. - The Rams just haven't lived up to the promise that last year's end of the season brought. The Miners aren't much good either, but 2 TDs is an awful lot of points to lay on a squad like State.
5. Florida St. (-23 1/2) over BOSTON COLLEGE - If BC can't score, and they might not against that 'Noles D, this number really doesn't look all that big.
6. BOWLING GREEN (-15 1/2) over Akron - The Falcons got back on track last week after taking a beatdown from Indiana a couple weeks ago. Akron has been embroiled in 2 very close games that they could have won at the end but didn't. That takes a big toll on a team eventually, and I think gives an edge to the already better team who also happens to be at home this week.
7. OHIO ST. (-7) over Wisconsin - A lot of folks are thinking Wisconsin is the side to be on here. I obviously disagree, and it all boils down to a couple of things: Coach Meyer is one, and the Buckeyes at home with the better QB is the other.
8. Oklahoma St. (-17 1/2) over W. VIRGINIA - I wish this game was later in the day so I could make it one of those "conditional plays". It isn't, so I won't.
9. Temple (-7 1/2) over IDAHO
10. San Diego St. (-16 1/2) over NEW MEXICO ST.
11. NOTRE DAME (+3 1/2) vs. Oklahoma
12. Troy St. (+12) at DUKE
13. N. CAROLINA ST. (-23 1/2) over C. Michigan
14. E. Carolina (+13) at N. CAROLINA
15. BUFFALO (+1) vs. UConn
16. ILLINOIS (-26 1/2) over Miami-O.
17. LA. TECH (pk) over Army
18. Tulane (+12 1/2) at LA.-MONROE
19. W. KENTUCKY (+3) vs. Navy
20. MISSOURI (-22 1/2) over Arkansas St.
21. TENNESSEE (-16 1/2) over S. Alabama
22. VANDERBILT (-19 1/2) over Uab
23. Smu (+17 1/2) at TCU
24. BOISE ST. (-28 1/2) over So. Miss
25. CLEMSON (-28) over Wake Forest
26. Virginia (+5 1/2) at PITT
27. BALL ST. (-1 1/2) over Toledo
28. Kent St. (-1 1/2) over W. MICHIGAN
29. MINNESOTA (+2) vs. Iowa
30. RICE (-14) over Fla.-Atlantic
31. ALABAMA (-13 1/2) over Mississippi
32. ARKANSAS (+14) vs. Texas A&M
33. GEORGIA (-3) over Lsu
34. Florida (-12) over KENTUCKY
35. HAWAII (+17 1/2) vs. Fresno St.
36. NEVADA (-11 1/2) over Air Force - The Falcons were having trouble enough as it was. Now, they've suspended their starting QB.
37. Unlv (-3) over NEW MEXICO
38. Usc (+4 1/2) at ARIZONA ST.
39. OREGON (-38) over Cal
40. Colorado (+12 1/2) at OREGON ST.
41. Arizona (+10) at WASHINGTON
42. Stanford (-9 1/2) over WASHINGTON ST.
That's all, folks! And not a minute too soon either. Have a great day, be careful out there and I'll talk to you again tomorrow.