Something Has To Be Done About TRT In MMA

8/11/13 in MMA   |   jaysutcliffe81   |   25 respect

FanIQ | Sports Rumors, Gossip, Blogs, News & Discussion ForumsBy Jason Sutcliffe

Testosterone Replacement Therapy has been a heavily debated issue in MMA. For me personally it is simple, are they using synthetic testosterone? If the answer is yes, then they are cheaters unless there is a medical condition which does not allow their bodies to produce testosterone such as hypogonadism.

What the majority of these athletes are doing is taking advantage of a loophole in the rules. They are using TRT because their bodies do not produce testosterone anymore, but why? In most cases, it is because they have abused steroids for so long that their bodies do not produce it naturally.

Vitor Belfort is probably one of the most talked about fighters when it comes to this form of therapy. There have been drastic changes in Vitor’s physique and abilities in the octagon between his twenties and late thirties.

Vitor Belfort used steroids in his past and is now riding the TRT train. He walks around with his holier than now BS trying to justify his use of TRT. Saying things like, “It makes the fight fair”, or “I am not doing anything illegal.”

Vitor likes to say that his body is getting older, and it just does not produce enough testosterone anymore, when the reality is that he did steroids, and now his body just does not produce testosterone naturally.

He would like us all to believe that TRT in no way enhances a fighter’s performance that all the advancements are a result of hard work in the gym. I do not doubt that all of these fighters are working hard in the gym. That is one of the advantages of elevated levels of testosterone. It allows them to work out harder and for longer periods of time, recover faster from hard workouts, makes them stronger, faster and more aggressive. Yeah, I don't doubt that all that time in the gym has made them better.

When has Vitor ever looked as solid and shredded as he does now? When has he ever been as nimble and athletic as he is now? When has he ever ended a fight with a roundhouse and spinning heel kick? Never, that is when.
Vitor the Juice monkey

This is just not the way the human body works. Fighters do not just get more athletic, quick and agile in their late thirties. That just does not happen.  The male body begins to slow down. It can not recover the way it used to it just gets slower. They lose some power, their reflexes slowdown they are just not the same athlete as they were in their mid twenties.

Do not get me wrong there are certain aspects of a fighter's game that do improve with age; they get more crafty, their techniques become crisper, and they become a lot more intelligent in the octagon, but they lose some athleticism. They do not start knocking guys out with explosive spinning techniques when they never had that athleticism.

This needs to be taken care of by the UFC, and the commissions because it is getting way out of control, and fighters are taking advantage of it. It has become a “legal” way for them to use steroids, without worrying about repercussions.

Fighters using TRT are robbing clean fighters of opportunity. It reminds me of when Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were battling for the home run title and both of them were on steroids. Fans remember them but what about poor Ken Griffey who was putting up huge numbers but getting no recognition because of these two juice monkeys. The same thing is happening in the UFC, and something has to be done because it is getting out of hand.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

8/14/13   |   MortonsLaw   |   156 respect

Eliminate TRT. It is BS!

8/13/13   |   jaysutcliffe81   |   25 respect

Dwhuber9501 wrote:
Jay I do agree with one point that you made which is in reference to Mir, Forrest Griffin, Sonnen, Henderson, Couture, Marquardt etc…..why have some of them said i.e. Marquardt comes to mind that they needed the treatment or there life is going to be compromised, yet than when they know they won’t get approved they get off the treatment.  I’m sure some people might need it more than others (trt) but it’s still a very cloudy topic.
 
Rfritz I agree with your response, news articles, blog pieces or whatever they might be would add value to a subject i.e. sports, mma etc.  if thorough write ups were actually done.  Yes you are not a mixed martial artist, but because you are performing in ways that is exceptional to others around you, your natural abilities are questioned.  I’m sure if those that commented on your abilities new and or saw you when you were younger they would realize that you are naturally very athletic.  You were making the connection between peoples assumptions vs. the truth.  Your point was not lost on me, playing softball and other recreation sports is different than mma, but that wasn’t your point.  Your point was with regard to how reporters/people will look at you or someone, see a comparative picture make a snap judgment and give an opinion; I agree with you, who cares about an opinion that wasn’t really informative and didn’t really strive for underlying integrity.
 
The same goes for Vitor, he has always been explosive i.e. knees to marvin eastmans head, he took down liddell (who couldn’t be taken down) with explosive power and technique, he landed a flurry of punches on tito Ortiz that were nasty, never once has this guy not been explosive.  Belfort has trained with many different people, which is why many from his country feel betrayed by him.  He trains with Francisco Filho, who was an amazing k1 fighter and completed the Kumite and has an extensive karate background, he currently trains with Nakahara Andrews a karate champion, he has trained with Lyoto Machida who is obviously a well-known Karate mma guy.  Belfort has now been training Karate techniques for a number of years,  I don’t think it’s far-fetched for an explosive athlete to land something if they practice.  A proper investigation would find all this, so why not look into something before making silly accusations that rob the TRT issue from what the real questions should be.  None of the aforementioned guys in my first sentence looked anymore explosive and we knew they were on TRT, especially after we saw them all get beat down numerous times while on it.
 
The question is should TRT be allowed and if so what is the proper way to monitor it.  The question isn’t should TRT be allowed and then make judgments based on one’s opinion of a fighter.  If the proper research was done on Belfort I don’t see his use of TRT as a problem, to me he is right at the cusp of his prime is being monitored properly so stop slandering people without really trying to connect all the dots.
 
Yes performance can be aided by overdoing steroid use.  But in reference to people that are within the legal limits I don’t see it as a problem.  I see it more as allowing one to function properly, much of what happens as we get older is a lack of motivation to work at accomplishing physical feats the way we did when we were younger.  I think TRT if done appropriately helps someone with low T to mentally feel better, to continue to have the drive necessary to reach physical goals.  I think Rfritz would agree, half of staying in shape, benching 350 as a 50 year old comes down to desire, much of which can get lost as we age.
 
With regard to testosterone it’s not such black and white topic as Jay makes it out to be.  Extreme weight cutting puts the endocrine system through a lot, it limits the ability of hormones that create Testosterone to actually do just that.  When one already has low body fat and cuts a lot of weight, studies have shown that an average athlete will lose on average 33% of their testosterone level as well as lose 47% of their luteinizing hormone which controls testosterone synthesis in the body. (taken from the Journal of Legal Medicine 2013)
 
Either way we as humans use many products to enhance our body: creatine, protein, vitamins etc.. if someone has a low t level I don’t think we should just chalk it up to oh they are performing unnaturally, so much of what we as humans do is extreme and over the top. Yes, low t levels could be cause by past steroid use, or it could be from aging, or it could be from weight cutting as well as a number of other issues.  I think if done with honor and integrity as well as the proper monitoring I don’t have an issue with someone receiving a treatment for TRT so long as the level isn’t unnatural. 
 
I don’t think proper TRT use is a big deal, we haven’t seen any of the aforementioned guys become super man and do anything they hadn’t done before.  If someone all of a sudden changes like Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson then I think issues with synthetic TRT is valid.  Reporters would have much more interesting stories if thorough research was done and forward thinking was accomplished.  Sweeping statements within an opinion piece drain the fan and ruin the scene I totally agree with you RFritz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not going to say that I do not agree with some of what you said. I also want you to understand that what I wrote was an opinion. This is how I feel about the subject, it was more venting than anything. I don't personally believe that it is right--period. My belief is that if you have to take anything in order to be able to compete at a professional level, than you should not be competing. That goes for all of them. Would that mean that the sport would lose some exciting fighters, sure, but it would be better for the sport. That is my personal opinion. Testosterone absolutely aids your performance 100%, there is no debating that. Regular men in their mid 40's that I know personally are getting injected with very small amounts of it on a be-weekly basis from their doctors and say they feel like a kid again. That is a very small amount they are  being injected with. So, knowing that first hand, I don't believe any athlete in any sport should be able to take anything, they should have to be 100% natural in order to compete.

8/13/13   |   Dwhuber9501   |   1 respect

rfritz1 wrote:
Dwhubber, what a breath of fresh air. Don't know if you're a writer or what, but it was nice to see this subject addressed accordingly. I am a huge fan of MMA - been watching since '93 - I am a huge fan of Belfort. With that said, I will be first in line to say he needs to go if found guilty of something...? I guess there's a question there, what is the guy guilty of? Why are the 'WRITERS' zeroing on him? If you need such an easy target than perhaps you are not that good of a writer. Perhaps you are simply a fan full of ideas and opinions. And well said, Dwhubber, it appears that 'news' and 'info' is nothing more than regurgitated hyperbole; opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, ideas, ideas, ideas, ideas, ideas...on and on, this is what fans are getting from writers. It not only takes the enjoyment away from a fan as myself, but it also forces me to turn the page, or click the remote. I want to hear facts and statistics. I'm a fifty year old man, shredded, very muscular, can run a 40 under 5.0, bench 350 lbs. Faster than all but two 25 year old kids on my softball team. Have been joked to be taking steroids. I hear peoples opinions all the time, however I expect more from a professional writer. This new social era certainly has changed the profession; for the worst.

Jay I do agree with one point that you made which is in reference to Mir, Forrest Griffin, Sonnen, Henderson, Couture, Marquardt etc…..why have some of them said i.e. Marquardt comes to mind that they needed the treatment or there life is going to be compromised, yet than when they know they won’t get approved they get off the treatment.  I’m sure some people might need it more than others (trt) but it’s still a very cloudy topic.
 
Rfritz I agree with your response, news articles, blog pieces or whatever they might be would add value to a subject i.e. sports, mma etc.  if thorough write ups were actually done.  Yes you are not a mixed martial artist, but because you are performing in ways that is exceptional to others around you, your natural abilities are questioned.  I’m sure if those that commented on your abilities new and or saw you when you were younger they would realize that you are naturally very athletic.  You were making the connection between peoples assumptions vs. the truth.  Your point was not lost on me, playing softball and other recreation sports is different than mma, but that wasn’t your point.  Your point was with regard to how reporters/people will look at you or someone, see a comparative picture make a snap judgment and give an opinion; I agree with you, who cares about an opinion that wasn’t really informative and didn’t really strive for underlying integrity.
 
The same goes for Vitor, he has always been explosive i.e. knees to marvin eastmans head, he took down liddell (who couldn’t be taken down) with explosive power and technique, he landed a flurry of punches on tito Ortiz that were nasty, never once has this guy not been explosive.  Belfort has trained with many different people, which is why many from his country feel betrayed by him.  He trains with Francisco Filho, who was an amazing k1 fighter and completed the Kumite and has an extensive karate background, he currently trains with Nakahara Andrews a karate champion, he has trained with Lyoto Machida who is obviously a well-known Karate mma guy.  Belfort has now been training Karate techniques for a number of years,  I don’t think it’s far-fetched for an explosive athlete to land something if they practice.  A proper investigation would find all this, so why not look into something before making silly accusations that rob the TRT issue from what the real questions should be.  None of the aforementioned guys in my first sentence looked anymore explosive and we knew they were on TRT, especially after we saw them all get beat down numerous times while on it.
 
The question is should TRT be allowed and if so what is the proper way to monitor it.  The question isn’t should TRT be allowed and then make judgments based on one’s opinion of a fighter.  If the proper research was done on Belfort I don’t see his use of TRT as a problem, to me he is right at the cusp of his prime is being monitored properly so stop slandering people without really trying to connect all the dots.
 
Yes performance can be aided by overdoing steroid use.  But in reference to people that are within the legal limits I don’t see it as a problem.  I see it more as allowing one to function properly, much of what happens as we get older is a lack of motivation to work at accomplishing physical feats the way we did when we were younger.  I think TRT if done appropriately helps someone with low T to mentally feel better, to continue to have the drive necessary to reach physical goals.  I think Rfritz would agree, half of staying in shape, benching 350 as a 50 year old comes down to desire, much of which can get lost as we age.
 
With regard to testosterone it’s not such black and white topic as Jay makes it out to be.  Extreme weight cutting puts the endocrine system through a lot, it limits the ability of hormones that create Testosterone to actually do just that.  When one already has low body fat and cuts a lot of weight, studies have shown that an average athlete will lose on average 33% of their testosterone level as well as lose 47% of their luteinizing hormone which controls testosterone synthesis in the body. (taken from the Journal of Legal Medicine 2013)
 
Either way we as humans use many products to enhance our body: creatine, protein, vitamins etc.. if someone has a low t level I don’t think we should just chalk it up to oh they are performing unnaturally, so much of what we as humans do is extreme and over the top. Yes, low t levels could be cause by past steroid use, or it could be from aging, or it could be from weight cutting as well as a number of other issues.  I think if done with honor and integrity as well as the proper monitoring I don’t have an issue with someone receiving a treatment for TRT so long as the level isn’t unnatural. 
 
I don’t think proper TRT use is a big deal, we haven’t seen any of the aforementioned guys become super man and do anything they hadn’t done before.  If someone all of a sudden changes like Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson then I think issues with synthetic TRT is valid.  Reporters would have much more interesting stories if thorough research was done and forward thinking was accomplished.  Sweeping statements within an opinion piece drain the fan and ruin the scene I totally agree with you RFritz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/12/13   |   jaysutcliffe81   |   25 respect

rfritz1 wrote:
Dwhubber, what a breath of fresh air. Don't know if you're a writer or what, but it was nice to see this subject addressed accordingly. I am a huge fan of MMA - been watching since '93 - I am a huge fan of Belfort. With that said, I will be first in line to say he needs to go if found guilty of something...? I guess there's a question there, what is the guy guilty of? Why are the 'WRITERS' zeroing on him? If you need such an easy target than perhaps you are not that good of a writer. Perhaps you are simply a fan full of ideas and opinions. And well said, Dwhubber, it appears that 'news' and 'info' is nothing more than regurgitated hyperbole; opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, ideas, ideas, ideas, ideas, ideas...on and on, this is what fans are getting from writers. It not only takes the enjoyment away from a fan as myself, but it also forces me to turn the page, or click the remote. I want to hear facts and statistics. I'm a fifty year old man, shredded, very muscular, can run a 40 under 5.0, bench 350 lbs. Faster than all but two 25 year old kids on my softball team. Have been joked to be taking steroids. I hear peoples opinions all the time, however I expect more from a professional writer. This new social era certainly has changed the profession; for the worst.

He is guilty of something...of not performing naturally, in his natural state. If you need synthetic testosterone to remain in the condition to perform at a professional level you need to retire. For anyone to say that it is okay for someone to be injected with synthetic testosterone in order for you to be able to compete with these younger fighters, well, that is just ridiculous and completely unfair to the people you are competing against--period. I enjoy watching Vitor fight, one of my first fights that got me hooked on MMA and was Vitor vs. Wanderlei 1. The only fact I need to know is that you are taking synthetic testosterone, you need to go, that is not fair to the other competitors. Rfritz1 if you truly can do all those things you said you could do and naturally than good on ya. However, if you need to take anything to help you do that, and you compete in something other than beer league softball then you are cheating and should not be able to compete--period.

8/12/13   |   rfritz1

Dwhubber, what a breath of fresh air. Don't know if you're a writer or what, but it was nice to see this subject addressed accordingly. I am a huge fan of MMA - been watching since '93 - I am a huge fan of Belfort. With that said, I will be first in line to say he needs to go if found guilty of something...? I guess there's a question there, what is the guy guilty of? Why are the 'WRITERS' zeroing on him? If you need such an easy target than perhaps you are not that good of a writer. Perhaps you are simply a fan full of ideas and opinions. And well said, Dwhubber, it appears that 'news' and 'info' is nothing more than regurgitated hyperbole; opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, opinion, ideas, ideas, ideas, ideas, ideas...on and on, this is what fans are getting from writers. It not only takes the enjoyment away from a fan as myself, but it also forces me to turn the page, or click the remote. I want to hear facts and statistics. I'm a fifty year old man, shredded, very muscular, can run a 40 under 5.0, bench 350 lbs. Faster than all but two 25 year old kids on my softball team. Have been joked to be taking steroids. I hear peoples opinions all the time, however I expect more from a professional writer. This new social era certainly has changed the profession; for the worst.

8/12/13   |   jaysutcliffe81   |   25 respect

Dwhuber9501 wrote:
Jay, Your thoughts are fair and I understand that people view any type of testosterone use as cheating. I feel as though that stance is very one sided. To me TRT use is not a big deal if monitored correctly; yes I don’t agree with a 6:1 ratio, I think the limit should be whatever ratio allows a man to be healthy. What I mean by that statement is that if someone has really low test, has hypogadism etc. then they should be allowed to use trt. If healthy levels are are 1 to 1 and would eliminate their health concern than by all means they should be allowed to use it. In Vitors case, he has kept many blood samples and the brazillian commission has noted this. I’m not sure what levels they are coming in at, but the doctors from the commission have confirmed that he is nowhere near the limit. I will be candid, for a number of reasons I am a fan of his, I don’t agree with everything he says but I do genuinely enjoy watching him fight and feel as though he is a decent guy. I also have a number of problems with him being used as everyone’s poster boy, which is why I felt like replying to your article. For starters, there are so many accusations by reporters of which are based on claims that they can’t even validate, I feel as though their statements are hearsay which is reckless, lacking integrity etc. He continually is a called a roider based on a positive test that was not only low, but the commission even validated that the over the counter supplement did in fact have traces of 4hydroxy something or other. Number two, the representation of a picture online as being another reason for steroid use is completely arbitrary. There are many people that have the ability to quickly change their physique, I am actually one of those people. I have never taken steroids, but many times people have joked around that they thought I was. Currently I don’t lift much, as life’s priorities have changed, but I know in a month from now or even a few weeks, my body would look quite different if I started working out. Now imagine being someone that trains every day and has that ability. I feel as though the use of pictures is for people that either can’t get strong or cut and or don’t understand that each individual is different and we all have different body types. Also, the comparative picture you show is a guy that looks completely drained of water weight on the most recent picture. Look at pics of Hector Lombard on days he cuts vs. when he isn’t, very different guy in some pics. Also, I don’t see the issue of his sister not being valid. Look how he fought during that time i.e. dan Henderson, overeem it looked like he didn’t even care. It is during this time that he started dropping weight and didn’t look motivated. So I’m sure he wasn’t working out like he has been the last few years since finding his new camp and wanting to finish his career strong. As for looking faster and stronger, he actually looked faster with his hands when he was younger. Incorporating kicks now is something new, I don’t why that automatically makes him a better athlete because he has now mastered kicks. The guy has been fighting for years, I’m not surprised that he has added to his skillset. I know a number of people that have had their T levels measured and shown to be quite low and they are around 30 years old. So for people to state that this doesn’t happen are once again speaking out of turn and is once again inaccurate. When putting your body through weight cuts as a lot of wrestlers and fighters do a known side effect is lower T. Ultimately none of us will ever know all of the info regarding Belfort or anyone else’s history regarding use of drugs. I just find it really annoying when people make these statements regurgitating the same old info without really putting thought and effort into a write up. I mean you call me a nuthugger which is the same old nonsense that goes on at the infamous sherdog mma forum, just because I wrote a number of reasons why I feel many reporters don’t really look into what they are writing about. Does that mean I think Belfort is perfect, or clarity shouldn’t be had with regards to his past, not at all. Maybe the guy did roid, maybe he didn’t. I think the question really should be and should be asked by the commissions or even reporters to him, did he ever use drugs besides the 2006 instance. Maybe he did, or maybe the 2006 instance was in fact what they found it to be or maybe he will just lie. But the bottom line is, we will never know. Maybe the UFC should have their own doctors monitor TRT user levels. To me that would be enough to move forward correctly and not have the annoying speculation that continually takes place regarding this issue.

I feel like if you have to take Synthetic Testosterone in order for you to be able to perform at a professional level you should retire. At the end of the day you should only be able to compete in your natural state. Dan Henderson has decided to stop using TRT for his fights and he is just fine and is much older than Vitor and has much more documented issues with his testosterone levels. For the record it is not just Vitor either, I don't think Vitor, Henderson, Mir, Sonnen or any of them should be able to use TRT. As a veteran and an older athlete you have a certain set of advantages i.e. experience and so on, and when you are younger you have the advantage of more athleticism and more testosterone. These older athletes should not be able to synthetically increase their testosterone levels to be equal with a 25 year old and also have the experience advantage. You should 100% have to be in your natural state in order to compete. We are getting to a point where Dana and the commissions are starting to see this and are attempting to ban TRT. The California State Athletic Commission is already on board and banned it. Vegas has already said they will not license Vitor. What I find hardest to understand is that if Hendo can scrap the TRT and compete against top 5 light heavyweights, and be at no risk from a personal health standpoint. Then what is Vitor's problem, especially when Dan is much older and has more issues with maintaining his testosterone levels. Why is it Vitor can't say ok I won't use testosterone in order to fight in the states. If it has no bearing on his performance, does nothing to enhance his skill level or ability to train and he won't have any health issues what is his problem saying never mind I will not use it. When he says that it helps him live a healthy lifestyle what he means is it makes him feel younger and on par with the 25-year-olds in the gym, and that is not fair because he is not 25 and that is just not how things work you start to get older and things change you should have to except that as aging. You should not be able to visit a doctor and  have him turn the clock back for you.
 

8/12/13   |   Dwhuber9501   |   1 respect

Dwhuber9501 wrote:
Jay,
I agree that there should be extra testing nowadays to keep sports clean.  However, writers like yourself should look a little deeper into issues before running your mouth about people.  Since a young man vitor belfort was always mentioned as being extremely talented, athletic etc.. by everyone that new him.  As a young man he was always explosive, the early pressures seemed to get to him mentally, also his sister was kidnapped and murdered causing extreme lack of motivation for him in dealing with all of that.  During this time he wasn't training as much with heavy weights and decided to drop to a lower weight class, which took a toll on his body.  With regard to his 2006 suspension, the commission admitted that there was a low level of steroids in an over the counter supplement he took which no one new about and was confirmed.  They suspended him because it was in his system, but validated the fact that it was incorrectly in the GNC (or whatever store it was from) product.  As far as body type goes, he was always muscular, but since working with Mike Dolce he has learned how to cut weight properly, not draining his body the way he had been since dropping down to middle weight.  First off you can't take a picture where there is different lighting and pawn it off as some major body change; number two, different diets training etc. can improve one’s physical appearance.  Finally, Vitor Belfort has mentioned numerous times, of which is verified from his many earlier fights that he never really trained kicking techniques.  Since becoming a part of the Blackzillians in Florida he has been working with renowned striking coach Henri Hooft to improve this aspect.  There is a lot more to people’s lives than what you or some other reporter choose to research and write about.  People like yourself have a strong tendency to hear a couple of things and write an article that doesn't represent a situation correctly at all.  How about you go do proper research before speaking out of turn.  It has been spoken about many times that he has gone the proper way in monitoring his trt levels.  Also, cutting weight especially when you have a lot of muscle is very hard and causes lower testosterone to develop.  Yes steroids are an extreme problem, but don’t' try to villanize people when you don't fully know there life.  I can make assumptions about u, but to write an article about u without doin the proper research about u could possibly make me draw incorrect conclusions. Do a better job.  Regards

Jay, Your thoughts are fair and I understand that people view any type of testosterone use as cheating. I feel as though that stance is very one sided. To me TRT use is not a big deal if monitored correctly; yes I don’t agree with a 6:1 ratio, I think the limit should be whatever ratio allows a man to be healthy. What I mean by that statement is that if someone has really low test, has hypogadism etc. then they should be allowed to use trt. If healthy levels are are 1 to 1 and would eliminate their health concern than by all means they should be allowed to use it. In Vitors case, he has kept many blood samples and the brazillian commission has noted this. I’m not sure what levels they are coming in at, but the doctors from the commission have confirmed that he is nowhere near the limit. I will be candid, for a number of reasons I am a fan of his, I don’t agree with everything he says but I do genuinely enjoy watching him fight and feel as though he is a decent guy. I also have a number of problems with him being used as everyone’s poster boy, which is why I felt like replying to your article. For starters, there are so many accusations by reporters of which are based on claims that they can’t even validate, I feel as though their statements are hearsay which is reckless, lacking integrity etc. He continually is a called a roider based on a positive test that was not only low, but the commission even validated that the over the counter supplement did in fact have traces of 4hydroxy something or other. Number two, the representation of a picture online as being another reason for steroid use is completely arbitrary. There are many people that have the ability to quickly change their physique, I am actually one of those people. I have never taken steroids, but many times people have joked around that they thought I was. Currently I don’t lift much, as life’s priorities have changed, but I know in a month from now or even a few weeks, my body would look quite different if I started working out. Now imagine being someone that trains every day and has that ability. I feel as though the use of pictures is for people that either can’t get strong or cut and or don’t understand that each individual is different and we all have different body types. Also, the comparative picture you show is a guy that looks completely drained of water weight on the most recent picture. Look at pics of Hector Lombard on days he cuts vs. when he isn’t, very different guy in some pics. Also, I don’t see the issue of his sister not being valid. Look how he fought during that time i.e. dan Henderson, overeem it looked like he didn’t even care. It is during this time that he started dropping weight and didn’t look motivated. So I’m sure he wasn’t working out like he has been the last few years since finding his new camp and wanting to finish his career strong. As for looking faster and stronger, he actually looked faster with his hands when he was younger. Incorporating kicks now is something new, I don’t why that automatically makes him a better athlete because he has now mastered kicks. The guy has been fighting for years, I’m not surprised that he has added to his skillset. I know a number of people that have had their T levels measured and shown to be quite low and they are around 30 years old. So for people to state that this doesn’t happen are once again speaking out of turn and is once again inaccurate. When putting your body through weight cuts as a lot of wrestlers and fighters do a known side effect is lower T. Ultimately none of us will ever know all of the info regarding Belfort or anyone else’s history regarding use of drugs. I just find it really annoying when people make these statements regurgitating the same old info without really putting thought and effort into a write up. I mean you call me a nuthugger which is the same old nonsense that goes on at the infamous sherdog mma forum, just because I wrote a number of reasons why I feel many reporters don’t really look into what they are writing about. Does that mean I think Belfort is perfect, or clarity shouldn’t be had with regards to his past, not at all. Maybe the guy did roid, maybe he didn’t. I think the question really should be and should be asked by the commissions or even reporters to him, did he ever use drugs besides the 2006 instance. Maybe he did, or maybe the 2006 instance was in fact what they found it to be or maybe he will just lie. But the bottom line is, we will never know. Maybe the UFC should have their own doctors monitor TRT user levels. To me that would be enough to move forward correctly and not have the annoying speculation that continually takes place regarding this issue.

8/12/13   |   jaysutcliffe81   |   25 respect

Dwhuber9501 wrote:
Jay,
I agree that there should be extra testing nowadays to keep sports clean.  However, writers like yourself should look a little deeper into issues before running your mouth about people.  Since a young man vitor belfort was always mentioned as being extremely talented, athletic etc.. by everyone that new him.  As a young man he was always explosive, the early pressures seemed to get to him mentally, also his sister was kidnapped and murdered causing extreme lack of motivation for him in dealing with all of that.  During this time he wasn't training as much with heavy weights and decided to drop to a lower weight class, which took a toll on his body.  With regard to his 2006 suspension, the commission admitted that there was a low level of steroids in an over the counter supplement he took which no one new about and was confirmed.  They suspended him because it was in his system, but validated the fact that it was incorrectly in the GNC (or whatever store it was from) product.  As far as body type goes, he was always muscular, but since working with Mike Dolce he has learned how to cut weight properly, not draining his body the way he had been since dropping down to middle weight.  First off you can't take a picture where there is different lighting and pawn it off as some major body change; number two, different diets training etc. can improve one’s physical appearance.  Finally, Vitor Belfort has mentioned numerous times, of which is verified from his many earlier fights that he never really trained kicking techniques.  Since becoming a part of the Blackzillians in Florida he has been working with renowned striking coach Henri Hooft to improve this aspect.  There is a lot more to people’s lives than what you or some other reporter choose to research and write about.  People like yourself have a strong tendency to hear a couple of things and write an article that doesn't represent a situation correctly at all.  How about you go do proper research before speaking out of turn.  It has been spoken about many times that he has gone the proper way in monitoring his trt levels.  Also, cutting weight especially when you have a lot of muscle is very hard and causes lower testosterone to develop.  Yes steroids are an extreme problem, but don’t' try to villanize people when you don't fully know there life.  I can make assumptions about u, but to write an article about u without doin the proper research about u could possibly make me draw incorrect conclusions. Do a better job.  Regards
(Edited by jaysutcliffe81)

Ok, first of all I appreciate you reading the article and taking the time to voice your opinion.

Vitor has never been as agile, quick and athletic as he is now--never. I am well aware of what happened to his sister but that has nothing to do with what we are talking about here, so leave that bleeding heart shit out of it. Do you have any idea how improbable it is to have low testosterone in you mid 30's? unbelievably improbable, unless you have some sort of disease or health issue that causes it, which Vitor does not have. The reason these fighters such as Vitor are dealing with low levels of testosterone is because they have abused anabolics for so long that their bodies no longer produce it naturally.  Also, I couldn't care less about what conjured up story Vitor gave or what he got his doctor to attest to in regards to his failed blood test. I could get my doctor to say some crazy shit too, don't be so naive.

As far as the pictures go it doesn't matter what light those two pictures were taken in if you can't see the difference in his physique, well get you eyes looked at. Vitor is entering his late thirties and has all of a sudden has become far more athletic and explosive that he ever was and I don't care where you train or who you train with the male body just doesn't work like that--period. You don't get faster, stronger and more athletic at 36 then you were at 26.

Vitor saying that he has monitored his levels and is staying below the legal limit is funny and it makes people like you say, "see Vitor isn't cheating he has passed all of his tests," Well the legal limit for testosterone levels is 6:1 in MMA and the average man has a level of 1:1 so it is possible for Vitor to pass the testing and still have 6 times the testosterone of the average man. If you are really going to sit their and say there has not been drastic changes in Vitor's build and ability then you are both blind and in serious denial. Vitor is not the only one but he is the one who is spending a lot of time defending TRT in his interviews so that is why he was the example. Quit nut hugging Vitor and face the fact that not only is he cheating now but has been a cheater for a long, long time. 

Finally, if you are unable to perform at a professional level naturally without synthetic testosterone you should retire. My thoughts on Vitor and TRT is not something that I myself have conjured up this is the same view that most people have including a lot of the experts. 

Thanks again for your read and reply! Cheers

8/12/13   |   Dwhuber9501   |   1 respect

Jay,
I agree that there should be extra testing nowadays to keep sports clean.  However, writers like yourself should look a little deeper into issues before running your mouth about people.  Since a young man vitor belfort was always mentioned as being extremely talented, athletic etc.. by everyone that new him.  As a young man he was always explosive, the early pressures seemed to get to him mentally, also his sister was kidnapped and murdered causing extreme lack of motivation for him in dealing with all of that.  During this time he wasn't training as much with heavy weights and decided to drop to a lower weight class, which took a toll on his body.  With regard to his 2006 suspension, the commission admitted that there was a low level of steroids in an over the counter supplement he took which no one new about and was confirmed.  They suspended him because it was in his system, but validated the fact that it was incorrectly in the GNC (or whatever store it was from) product.  As far as body type goes, he was always muscular, but since working with Mike Dolce he has learned how to cut weight properly, not draining his body the way he had been since dropping down to middle weight.  First off you can't take a picture where there is different lighting and pawn it off as some major body change; number two, different diets training etc. can improve one’s physical appearance.  Finally, Vitor Belfort has mentioned numerous times, of which is verified from his many earlier fights that he never really trained kicking techniques.  Since becoming a part of the Blackzillians in Florida he has been working with renowned striking coach Henri Hooft to improve this aspect.  There is a lot more to people’s lives than what you or some other reporter choose to research and write about.  People like yourself have a strong tendency to hear a couple of things and write an article that doesn't represent a situation correctly at all.  How about you go do proper research before speaking out of turn.  It has been spoken about many times that he has gone the proper way in monitoring his trt levels.  Also, cutting weight especially when you have a lot of muscle is very hard and causes lower testosterone to develop.  Yes steroids are an extreme problem, but don’t' try to villanize people when you don't fully know there life.  I can make assumptions about u, but to write an article about u without doin the proper research about u could possibly make me draw incorrect conclusions. Do a better job.  Regards