Stephen Strasburg is officially shut down

The Strasburg Shutdown begins

9/10/12 in MLB   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Blog Photo - Stephen Strasburg is officially shut downStephen Strasburg has officially thrown his last pitch of the season, according to the Nationals.

This was the plan all along, and they're sticking to their guns.

Is it admirable, or is it insanity? We won't really know until after the World Series. Even then, we won't know for sure whether the decision to sit their young ace was the right one.

Strasburg himself isn't thrilled with the decision, and you can't really blame him. Pretty much every MLB pitcher is a fierce competitor and wants the chance to go out and win games whenever possible. Show me a pitcher who DOESN'T have that mentality, and I'll show you a loser.

Still, Strasburg doesn't really have a choice in the matter. The team, his agent, the surgeons... everyone says that he has to be shut down for the rest of the year.

Glenn Stout of SB Nation has the best tweet I've seen about the Strasburg situation:


Personally, I'm not necessarily opposed to the shutdown, but I am (and always have been) vehemently opposed to the way the Nationals went about it. They showed absolutely no foresight whatsoever, and might have screwed themselves out of a World Series championship.

Right now, the Nationals are leading the NL East by 5.5 games. Had they skipped an occasional Strasburg start throughout the season, they'd likely still be on top of the division and playoff bound, but they'd also have their ace ready to make 4 or 5 starts in the postseason.

Let's face it: those starts are far more valuable in the postseason than they were back in May, June, or even August. We've seen championships won solely on the backs of a few stud pitchers, and the Nationals had the opportunity to follow that model for success. Instead, they just might have screwed themselves out of a championship in what might be their best chance ever.

What's the worst case scenario? The Nationals struggle for the next few years, never make it back to the playoffs, and then they lose Strasburg in free agency. Then, I'm sure the next team will be thankful that they went to such outrageous lengths to protect his arm for the long term.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

9/18/12   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Haha... the Nationals have Strasburg under their control for at least another 4 years. And his agent agrees with the shutdown plan, so your idea wouldn't really fly.

You can get as mad as you want, but the fact of the matter is that the players are NOT the boss. He can't just march out to the mound if he isn't listed as the starting pitcher.

If he could do that, I'm sure he would just go out there and pitch. But it just doesn't work that way.

As for your hilarious personal attacks... all I can say is that you're dreadfully wrong. But it's all good, man. Enjoy whatever it is that you do.

9/18/12   |   beerstudk   |   1538 respect

Pat wrote:
From the sounds of it, I can only assume that you've never held a job or had a boss. That simply is not how life works, good sir.

Firstly, F##k you Pat, I currently have a job and have had one since I was 13.... Secondly, MLB life is very different from regular person life and I can only assume that you don't realize that because you still live in your parents basement and play Magic and/or Pokemon while posing as a 12 year old girl online. In today's sports,with the exception of the NFL, the players hold ALL of the power and that's especially true in baseball. Strasburg can walk into the owners office and tell him that if he doesn't play, he won't sign any extention and demand a trade as soon as the World Series is over, but he didn't. He could have DEMANDED to pitch into the playoffs, but he didn't.

9/17/12   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

beerstudk wrote:
I don't care what anyone else says.... If it was me, and I wanted to play, there's absolutely no f%&king way the front office could keep me off the mound. Strasburg holds all the power, if he REALLY wanted to pitch, he'd be on the mound, period.

From the sounds of it, I can only assume that you've never held a job or had a boss. That simply is not how life works, good sir.

9/17/12   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

beerstudk wrote:
I don't care what anyone else says.... If it was me, and I wanted to play, there's absolutely no f%&king way the front office could keep me off the mound. Strasburg holds all the power, if he REALLY wanted to pitch, he'd be on the mound, period.

Apparently you never had your bosses make an unilateral decision against your wishes then.

9/17/12   |   beerstudk   |   1538 respect

Eric_ wrote:
He said he wanted to pitch. The team said no. What's he supposed to do, put himself in the lineup?

I don't care what anyone else says.... If it was me, and I wanted to play, there's absolutely no f%&king way the front office could keep me off the mound. Strasburg holds all the power, if he REALLY wanted to pitch, he'd be on the mound, period.

9/12/12   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

beerstudk wrote:
If you say so, I know if it was me I'd tell the Nats to "Kiss my A$$.... I'm playin'". He still has say in it regardless of what face is put on it.

He said he wanted to pitch. The team said no. What's he supposed to do, put himself in the lineup?

9/12/12   |   beerstudk   |   1538 respect

Pat wrote:
This wasn't Strasburg's call. He didn't quit... the Nationals are taking the choice away from him.

If you say so, I know if it was me I'd tell the Nats to "Kiss my A$$.... I'm playin'". He still has say in it regardless of what face is put on it.

9/11/12   |   kingaz2007

Strasburg Shutdown is a joke. Why pitch him at all why is he even on the team? This would be like Lebron James playing until the play offs then sitting him out of the pay offs. Now I understand that a person's health is first and foremost but this man still wants to play and is being told no. A dream of a shot at the world series is at stake and in front of him and his dream is being taken away.What do players play for other then the money it is to win a championship which he wont be apart of.

9/10/12   |   Eric_   |   7716 respect

It's been fascinating (well, sometimes) watching this debate from DC. Here. most of the Nats fans are for the shutdown. Last year, Strasburg threw 44.1 innings, 24 of them in the majors. This year he threw 159.1 innings. That's 115 more innings, which is a big increase for any pitcher, much less one so closely removed from Tommy John surgery who is still the injury nexus. Also keep in mind that the Nats weren't supposed to be this good going into the season, and no you can't just take a good April and assume it's for real yet. There are also reasons why you can't just skip starts; it messes up your entire rotation.

The Nats are as well placed as any team in baseball over the next decade. There's a risk, but there's a risk doing anything, and they're still as well placed for the playoffs (always a crapshoot, by the way) as any team. The plan all along is to set up Strasburg to get to a full season in 2013. Look at how they handled Jordan Zimmermann (2.99 ERA, 171.2 IP), who was under the same program last year.

I'm not saying it's the right or wrong decision. I'm agnostic on the whole thing. I just wanted to point out they didn't pull this out of their ass.

Final aside: This whole "oh he'll just go to the Yankees or Red Sox" is annoying and dumb. Most young stars are getting locked up early, and free agents haven't been the sole purview of New York and Boston for a few years now.

9/10/12   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

beerstudk wrote:
And what about the fact that he may not even be with the Nats in 7-8 years...... This is stupid on both parts, Strasburg for essentially quitting and on the Nats for not going all in now or limiting his time in April and May instead of now.

This wasn't Strasburg's call. He didn't quit... the Nationals are taking the choice away from him.

9/10/12   |   beerstudk   |   1538 respect

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
The thought of it is admirable, but the fact is, you have 24 other guys on that roster who may never get another chance to be this close to the postseason again.  It's a slap in the face to them saying, yes we will be in the playoffs, but we won't have our best asset because studies have shown that there is a slight possibility of him throwing more pitches this year could affect his performance 7-8 years down the line

And what about the fact that he may not even be with the Nats in 7-8 years...... This is stupid on both parts, Strasburg for essentially quitting and on the Nats for not going all in now or limiting his time in April and May instead of now.

9/10/12   |   The_Real_Stoney   |   25335 respect

The thought of it is admirable, but the fact is, you have 24 other guys on that roster who may never get another chance to be this close to the postseason again.  It's a slap in the face to them saying, yes we will be in the playoffs, but we won't have our best asset because studies have shown that there is a slight possibility of him throwing more pitches this year could affect his performance 7-8 years down the line