NBA

Super Religious Dwight Howard Has an Illegitimate Kid. Whoops.

1/14/08 in NBA   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

Late last Friday, we officially got word that Dwight Howard had joined an exclusive club. Or should I say not-so-exclusive club? Yes, he joined the 100% Injury Rate list of athletes with illegitimate kids.

Howard acknowledged on Friday that he was the father of a baby boy born Nov. 18 in Orlando.
"I'm not going to deny it. Yes, I have a son," Howard, 22, told the Orlando Sentinel after the team's shoot-around in Denver. "It's just my personal life. Yes, I'm excited about it, but I'd like to keep my personal life personal."
So, who’s the lucky lady that’s now going to be set for life? The mother is Royce Reed, a former Orlando Magic dancer.

Yep, that sounds about right.

Reed danced for the Magic during the 2005-2006 season and the Heat during the 2006-2007 season. Royce’s mother may have had the best reaction of all.
"Royce and Dwight are very happy. They are very good friends. How close they are, well, you'd have to talk to them. I'm just the grandma. It was not something that was planned. It was a beautiful surprise, though."
Translation: Way to get knocked up by a superstar NBA player Royce. We’re rich!

This revelation is of course surprising, considering Dwight Howard is a devout Christian who once said he wanted to put a cross on the NBA logo

He also had this written above his bed as a high school player: It shall and will come to pass that the NBA will be runned by the standards of God.

I believe it’s “run by the standard of God,” Dwight, but whatever. 

Anyway, as you can tell, being a pro athlete changed Howard a little bit. He went from being a lock to become the next A.C. Green to suddenly knocking up a cheerleader.

But don’t worry Dwight, even though you’re now going to hell, at least there will be a few other pro athletes there with you.

Once again, for those of you familiar with the original list of athletes with illegitimate kids from my old blog, I've updated the list for your enjoyment. But before we get to the list, first a story from a reader about prodigal son Shawn Kemp.
In college I was an intern for the Portland Trailblazers (mind you, this was during their Jailblazers heyday while Shawn Kemp was there). I did a bunch of stuff for the PR Department and one day I was filing a bunch of stuff in the office and I came across the Player Questionnaires that they have each new player fill out when they are acquired. It gives them some stupid personal info to include in the media guide and for the announcers and what not. Anyway, on Shawn Kemp’s questionnaire under hobbies it said, “girls”. And my personal favorite – under favorite breakfast he listed, “girls”.
Feel free to let me know if I missed anyone.

ATHLETES WITH ILLEGITIMATE KIDS

THE HEAVYWEIGHTS
Calvin Murphy - 14 illegitimate kids by 9 women. You sir are our current champion.
Travis Henry - 9 kids by 9 women. All of this by 28. Impressive. He is on pace to catch Calvin. The fact that he's broke from paying child support may slow him down though.
Ex-San Antonio Spur Willie Anderson - 9 illegitimate kids. If only his field goal percentage had been as high as his impregnation rate.
Evander Holyfield - 9 illegitimate kids. Has more kids than brain cells left.
Jason Caffey - 8 kids by 7 women.
Shawn Kemp - 7 illegitimate kids by 6 women. Gives his nickname of the Reign Man new meaning.
Derrick Thomas - 7 illegitimate kids by 5 women. He died at 33. Let's just leave it at that.

THE MIDDLEWEIGHTS
Ray Lewis
- 6 kids by 4 women.
Marshall Faulk - 6 kids by 3 women. Which is probably why he considered coming out of retirement.
Larry Johnson (basketball) - 5 kids by 4 women. 3 are illegitimate.
Charles Rogers - Uber-NFL Draft bust reportedly has 5 illegitimate kids...and no paycheck. Definitely the makings of a solid family.
Vlad Guerrero - 4 kids by 4 women.
Santonio Holmes - 3 illegitimate kids by two women, before leaving college.
Former Celtic Greg Minor - 3 illegitimate kids.
Ricky Williams - 3 illegitimate kids. Maybe that's why he smokes so much weed.
Priest Holmes - 3 illegitimate kids. You best keep running Priest.
Chad Johnson - Has 3 illegitimate kids.
Shannon "Horseface" Sharpe - 3 as well.
Mike Bibby - apparently had two before leaving 'Zona.

THE LIGHTNING FAST GROUP
Willis McGahee - 3 illegitimate kids in 2 years in Buffalo. Not a lot to do in Buffalo, except make babies. Lots and lots of babies.

THE GUYS YOU WOULDN'T EXPECT GROUP
NEW MEMBER - Dwight Howard
Walter Herrmann
Peja Stojakovic
Wizards Coach Eddie Jordan
NHL player Daniel Alfredsson
NHL player Richard Zednik
Mike Miller
Marvin Harrison
Tracy McGrady

THE FAMOUS OLD GUYS GROUP
Steve Garvey - 2 illegitimate kids by 2 women.
Dr. J - 2 illegitimate kids by 2 women. I actually met one of them.
Larry Bird
Isiah Thomas
Jim Palmer
Darryl Strawberry
Pete Rose
Tug McGraw

THE GETTING A HEAD START GROUP
Gary Sheffield - Had 2 illegitimate kids by age 17. Added a few more later on in life.

THE THAT'S JUST WRONG GROUP
Elijah Dukes - recently impregnated a 17-year-old foster child. Also has 4 more illegitimate kids - making him a middleweight as well.

THE QB KIDS GROUP
Matt Leinart - already has one, my guess is he's working hard on another while that collar bone heals.
Tom Brady - the dream baby is here.

KEEP YOUR EYE ON THIS GUY GROUP
Noel Devine
- He's not an official member yet because he's not a pro. He's an incoming freshman at WV. But he had 2 illegitimate kids in high school, and possibly more. Keep it Noel, a good start, but you've got a long way to go.

GUYS WITH AT LEAST ONE ILLEGITIMATE KID
Antawn Jamison
Chipper Jones
DeShawn Stevenson
Cliff Floyd
Mark Messier
Brian Urlacher

Rae Carruth - Yes, he fathered an illegitimate kid before the incident where he had his pregnant girlfriend gunned down.
Oscar De La Hoya
Juan Gonzalez

Andre Rison
David Justice
Andruw Jones
Alonzo Spellman
Dave Meggett

Gary Payton
- From a reader: The best part about Gary Payton is that his illegitimate kid is named "Gary Payton, Jr." so that when his wife (or whatever) had a kid, and he wanted a junior, he couldn't do it without major confusion, so he named his legitimate kid "Gary Payton II."
Stephon Marbury

Jason Kidd

Allen Iverson

Latrell Sprewell
Juwan Howard
Kenny Anderson
Scottie Pippen
Hakeem Olajuwon

Patrick Ewing
Randy Johnson


So in other words, the moral of the story is wrap it up tight. Unless you're a professional athlete. Then just do whatever the hell you want.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

12/29/12   |   rjoyner17

The author of this has one thing in common with Evander Holyfield. His number of brain cells. Just because you have sex before marriage doesnt keep you out of heaven. Thats what God and Jesus are for. What a moron.

4/18/12   |   WhoDat12   |   2252 respect

Jubanator14 wrote:
The NBA...Where Illegitimate Kids Happen.

This gives the old catchphrase "NBA Action...ITS FANTASTIC!!" an entirely different meaning...

3/15/10   |   beautifullpy8

Idk why you are judging other people. His personal life is PERSONAL, everybody makes mistakes, more than 1000 timesz in our life. No matter who you are yuh make mistakes but thas why God died , sacrificed his blood for us, because all of our sins:including urs mr witter, Stop being Bias.
Dwight Howard is actually a role model for Christians and NBA players, Knowing that Even though he is a Pro bball player he puts his faith and God before anything else regardless what people like yuh may say.  He is not going to Hell just because you say he is, He Declared the Lord as His one and Only savior Therefore he has eternal life, his the light of this world. With that said, may the Lord bless yuh and please think before you write pls:)

3/10/10   |   LEEALEXANDER

kobeballa18 wrote:
I dont know why some of you guys are judging Dwight Howard's Christianity. He is still saved by grace not by works so he isn't going to hell. Some of you still are. God doesn't forsake because of illegitmate children... Some of you should read a Bible once in awhile and Read about David and Bathesheba in 1 Sam and Psalm 51.

Correct,
All you have to do is asked the Lord to forgiven you of your sins and you are still on the road to heaven.
To get to heaven is by the grace and mercy of God.  It is not because of your works if any man should boast.
The only way to heaven is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  As for all the fathers please get involved with your children lives.  They need you.

8/23/09   |   lovee_charm   |   49 respect

kobeballa18 wrote:
I dont know why some of you guys are judging Dwight Howard's Christianity. He is still saved by grace not by works so he isn't going to hell. Some of you still are. God doesn't forsake because of illegitmate children... Some of you should read a Bible once in awhile and Read about David and Bathesheba in 1 Sam and Psalm 51.

 Thank You....well said!!   WE ARE ALL SAVED BY GRACE and not by works! Isn't it amazing how many SINLESS people we have???

8/22/09   |   matthewunderwear

So i stumbled on your article and couldn't help but find it sad.  Not so much that Dwight Howard messed up, but your perspective that people who claim to love God have to be perfect.  Last time I checked, loving God wasn't about being perfect, it was about embracing that fact that you cannot be.  Sure, Howard messed up.  But to say he is going to hell?  Maybe you should leave that judgement up to someone else.  But that's just my advice. Anyways, backpedal all you want and say that you were 'joking,' but keep in mind that there is only one real superman.  The rest of us can only choose whether we try and imitate Him or not.

7/26/09   |   ipitythefool

kobeballa18 wrote:
I dont know why some of you guys are judging Dwight Howard's Christianity. He is still saved by grace not by works so he isn't going to hell. Some of you still are. God doesn't forsake because of illegitmate children... Some of you should read a Bible once in awhile and Read about David and Bathesheba in 1 Sam and Psalm 51.

Baby daddies aren't going to hell, that was obviously a joke.  "Faith without works is dead" (James 2:20), but I digress.

and Karl Malone has 3..twins and a son -- Demetrius Bell plays left tackle for the Bills

7/26/09   |   jrhlv3

Jubanator14 wrote:
The NBA...Where Illegitimate Kids Happen.

even christians are human everyone messes up jus becuz he's a superstar we c it but everyone messes up so  does that mean evryones goin to hell? no. becuz Christ died on the cross 4 us he died becuz he knew we would mess up and jus so the writer knows it would be "ran by the standards of God" not run so if your gunna say something about someones grammar get yours right.

5/11/09   |   kczona

you really need to get Ron Gant on your list .... 7 by 3 women & possilby more...check out GA court systems and Arizona and Colorado

5/9/09   |   CC_AIR23

I BET HALF THESE PEOPLE ON THIS LIST DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO THEY REAL DADDY IS...(KOBEBALLA18)...

5/9/09   |   CC_AIR23

5/7/09   |   carlo_air23

FIRST OF ALL, HEY KOBEBALLA18 HOW DOES ADULTERY IN DENVER SOUND?, SECOND..OVER 80% OF THE PLAYERS IN THE NBA ARE ILLEGITIMENT CHILDREN ANYWAY...HAHAHA..THATS WHY THEY ALL SAY..."..YO..I DONT KNOW HOW MY MOMMA RAISED ME ALL BY HERSLEF, SO THIS 'FO YOU MOMMA..."...THATS PROLY CUZ THEY DADDY GOT 5 OTHA KIDS BESIDES THEM!...HAHAHAHA

2/14/09   |   kobeballa18

I dont know why some of you guys are judging Dwight Howard's Christianity. He is still saved by grace not by works so he isn't going to hell. Some of you still are. God doesn't forsake because of illegitmate children... Some of you should read a Bible once in awhile and Read about David and Bathesheba in 1 Sam and Psalm 51.

12/9/08   |   boeaih

if you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. i respect his stand on doing the right things in life.  and being a christian does not mean you're perfect and without mistake.  it amazes me how so many people are so insanely ignorant about christianity.  it's not a destination its a journey.  and i'm glad Dwight's on it. 

5/1/08   |   anonymous1999_19991

Also Juwan Howard's son Juwan Jr. was a member of the basketball team at Detroit's Pershing High School that lost a couple months ago in the Class A state finals.  Juwan Howard has made millions as a pro basketball player.  Yet his son lives in a bad part of inner city Detroit.  What a shame.............

5/1/08   |   anonymous1999_19991

Awesome list, man.  Here are some that you missed:

 

Keith van Horn (I'm positive)

Shaquille O'Neal (at least 1)

Brandon Roy (I'm pretty sure)

Magic Johnson (I'm positive)

Barry Bonds (check on him; considering his reputation, I'd be surprised if he doesn't have any)

Karl Malone (his illegitimate daughter plays or used to play in the WNBA)

 

I'll check back for updates to the list.

5/1/08   |   dspandit

(Edited by dspandit)

3/3/08   |   ksmiles

"But don’t worry Dwight, even though you’re now going to hell, at least there will be a few other pro athletes there with you."

You got your doctrines wrong, sir. A person does not go to hell because he fathered a child, not mentioning he is already saved, but because and ONLY because he did not receive Jesus as his Lord and Savior. But as far as we know, Dwight is a christian. (eternal security). So he made a mistake. I'm a christian as well and i look up to Dwight as a christian athlete. we dont really know him and the circumstances of his life. He made a mistake and if he has repented and has made restitutions, then that settles it, as far as God is concerned. After all, only God will be his judge.

2/13/08   |   dwight4prezz

Yah well when you're this big a big shot (which the kid is, and he's kinda deserving of it), it's easy for it to get to your head. I'm sure the ladies are flocking to him anyway, I mean the dude is pretty hot AND he's actually a laid-back nice guy. Either way tho, he has some mad skills -- check him out prepping for this year's Slam Dunk contest, no way he doesn't win.

Dwight out for revenge

1/21/08   |   dlaylo   |   2 respect

Michael wrote:

   I think you'll find a LOT of Illegitimate kids in the ranks of lawyers; you'll find a vast number of abused children in the ranks of priests; and yes, there are jokes about them as well.

   I guess I just don't need to see another person or the fruit of their error made light of; especially in sports.  When it comes to sport, I want to read SPORTS!  Not the supposed news of sports people.  Put that on news pages and if I want to read it I will. 

   I know, this is a blog and not a news page---but in the media---put news about sports figures in news sections where we can read/view accordingly.  Don't render our sports even more jaded than it is already.

   At so Dwight Howard himself===I'm sure he'll take care of the child which is more than many do; I'm sure that as a Christian he'll be talking to his Lord and Savior in prayer and seeking forgiveness and seeking repentance; I'm SURE no one will talk about any of that~!

Totally agree with the statement. I for one don't find issue with the topic at all. Major has and probably will always be a huge part of pour society. As a child we looked up to our "heroes" on the court or the filed. When we have one that puts out a message as Dwight has upon entering the NBA, and falls short, he has to expect some backlash. Alot of kids look up to Dwight and his message to those kids is as positive a message as I've experienced in professional sports. That's what makes this a topic worth discussing. Sure he isn't the first or the will he be the last to have a child out of wedlock, but he himself set the expectation of greater good. I have no doubt that he will do right by his child, I wouldn't expect anything less from someone like Dwight but i don't think we've taken this topic serious enough to look at possible implications. Some ten year old somewhere who wanted to turn his life around ( And yes there are ten year old who have issues that 30 year old would have difficulty with) may look at this and say to himself, "...see if he couldn't do it how can I."

1/20/08   |   SOS

Michael wrote:

   I think you'll find a LOT of Illegitimate kids in the ranks of lawyers; you'll find a vast number of abused children in the ranks of priests; and yes, there are jokes about them as well.

   I guess I just don't need to see another person or the fruit of their error made light of; especially in sports.  When it comes to sport, I want to read SPORTS!  Not the supposed news of sports people.  Put that on news pages and if I want to read it I will. 

   I know, this is a blog and not a news page---but in the media---put news about sports figures in news sections where we can read/view accordingly.  Don't render our sports even more jaded than it is already.

   At so Dwight Howard himself===I'm sure he'll take care of the child which is more than many do; I'm sure that as a Christian he'll be talking to his Lord and Savior in prayer and seeking forgiveness and seeking repentance; I'm SURE no one will talk about any of that~!

Great insight.  Really like the statement and logic.  Don't agree totally about topic discussion,maybe that's just me.  The message was solid though.

1/18/08   |   Michael

   I think you'll find a LOT of Illegitimate kids in the ranks of lawyers; you'll find a vast number of abused children in the ranks of priests; and yes, there are jokes about them as well.

   I guess I just don't need to see another person or the fruit of their error made light of; especially in sports.  When it comes to sport, I want to read SPORTS!  Not the supposed news of sports people.  Put that on news pages and if I want to read it I will. 

   I know, this is a blog and not a news page---but in the media---put news about sports figures in news sections where we can read/view accordingly.  Don't render our sports even more jaded than it is already.

   At so Dwight Howard himself===I'm sure he'll take care of the child which is more than many do; I'm sure that as a Christian he'll be talking to his Lord and Savior in prayer and seeking forgiveness and seeking repentance; I'm SURE no one will talk about any of that~!

1/15/08   |   Brinson

wrote:

It was no joke , he was making fun of another human being .

Actually I think he was making fun of a slew of human beings. Human beings that are, in fact, public figures. You want the money? Take it, but the scrutiny comes too.

1/15/08   |   SOS

This is a sarcastic remark.  We now  know what a lot of these marvelous young men majored in at college.

1/15/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

wrote:
The blog headline would be more professional without whoops in it !

Ok fair enough. Let me point you to the writers first post where he explains his writing style. www.faniq.com/dev/blog/100-Injury-Rate--Allow-me-to-introduce-myself-Blog-5669

1/15/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

wrote:
It wasn't whoops , he knew want he was doing . Know he will have to do the right thing .

You still didn't tell me how he making fun of him though. Who is the he in your last post, The Writer or Dwight Howard.

1/15/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

wrote:

It was no joke , he was making fun of another human being .

How did he make fun of him? Was there anything in there that made fun of him and was not factually accurate?

1/15/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

wrote:

Here a message to the person who wrote this blog and all the people who check out this blog , We all have sin and fall short of the glory of God. we all  have made mistake including Dwight Howard and when we did commit sin we need to go to God and repent of our sin and God would forgive us.

It was just a joke man.

1/14/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

The NBA...Where Illegitimate Kids Happen.